Grizzlies Trade Thread

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#221 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 6, 2023 8:02 pm

We have four days to the deadline. Lots of speculations and rumors will heighten like crazy until all is said and done on Thursday Feb, 9th at 2:00 PM.

The Grizzlies are on the clock to make a solid move to help create more opportunity to present their case as contenders.

As said, what is your wishlist to who the Grizzlies should acquire with the current assets they have?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#222 » by VCfor3 » Mon Feb 6, 2023 11:55 pm

OG if he is cheap enough but I'm worried he won't be. I'm hoping if KD is moved that we can steal one of the return players. Brown from Boston or Bridges from PHX would be great. As much as I want KD ourselves, I don't know if we would be able to pull that off without at least one and maybe both of Bane and JJJ.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#223 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:07 am

VCfor3 wrote:OG if he is cheap enough but I'm worried he won't be. I'm hoping if KD is moved that we can steal one of the return players. Brown from Boston or Bridges from PHX would be great. As much as I want KD ourselves, I don't know if we would be able to pull that off without at least one and maybe both of Bane and JJJ.

KD is a Sun as of now. This may change things. OG is still available. Perhaps Bridges being a Net now could be of good use for the Grizzlies to acquire. Brown is safe in Beantown once again. Celts trying to get after another title shot. However, I still get the feeling that Brown will get traded from the Celtics somewhere down the line. It's just a feeling I've had for the last two seasons
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#224 » by VCfor3 » Thu Feb 9, 2023 6:59 pm

Brooks, Ziaire, 24 GSW 1st, 25 MEM 1st, 27 MEM 1st for Bridges (I think they won't want the 23 1st unfortunately)

Then

Tyus, Green, 23 1st for DeRozan or you add Green to the above deal plus the 23 1st or a 26 swap and get Cam or DFS.

DeRozan is your 6th man and can close when we go small with JJJ at the 5. We could do Tyus, 23 1st, 29 1st, youth? for OG as well if we want but our picks will be in a rough place. Ideally you do the 23 1st for Bridges instead of the 27 1st but I don't think the Nets go for it. Maybe 23 1st and a swap in 26. You still have only 7 proven guys come playoffs but Santi gets you to 8 and Roddy for spot minutes is probably ok

Ja/Chandler (Bane and DeRozan would run the bench unit with Chandler still more of a 3rd string guy)
Bane/DeRozan
Mikal/Roddy
JJJ/Santi
Adams/Clarke

I just really want Mikal.
GGforever
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#225 » by GGforever » Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:20 pm

Magic fan coming in peace with a trade proposal. More so curious to gauge what it would take if any to pry Desmond Bane away.
Fast forward to draft night, let’s pretend the Magic have picks #6 and #10(owed to Magic from the Bulls). Would you do both of those picks, Magic top 3 protected pick in 2024, 2025 Denver top 5 protected pick, plus Cole Anthony.
So basically 4 first rounders plus Cole
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#226 » by VCfor3 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:36 pm

GGforever wrote:Magic fan coming in peace with a trade proposal. More so curious to gauge what it would take if any to pry Desmond Bane away.
Fast forward to draft night, let’s pretend the Magic have picks #6 and #10(owed to Magic from the Bulls). Would you do both of those picks, Magic top 3 protected pick in 2024, 2025 Denver top 5 protected pick, plus Cole Anthony.

Nope. Memphis is set up to potentially contend for the next half a dozen years. We aren't looking to take one of our core guys and break him apart at this time. I think Ja, Bane, and JJJ are nearly untouchable. They were off limits in a KD trade for instance. Our FO seems to be trying to consolidate our own picks in order to add a 4th core guy, not move one of them.

Value wise I think you have a solid offer. Just not the direction we are looking at this time.
GGforever
Freshman

Post#227 » by GGforever » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:35 am

VCfor3 wrote:
GGforever wrote:Magic fan coming in peace with a trade proposal. More so curious to gauge what it would take if any to pry Desmond Bane away.

Nope. Memphis is set up to potentially contend for the next half a dozen years. We aren't looking to take one of our core guys and break him apart at this time. I think Ja, Bane, and JJJ are nearly untouchable. They were off limits in a KD trade for instance. Our FO seems to be trying to consolidate our own picks in order to add a 4th core guy, not move one of them.

Value wise I think you have a solid offer. Just not the direction we are looking at this time.

Yep that makes full sense. Appreciate the response.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#228 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:58 am

GGforever wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Yep that makes full sense. Appreciate the response.

Appreciate you stopping in. You guys are such a fun team with a bright future. Add in a great lead guard and watch out. The FVV rumors are interesting. He's a vet with championship experience. Maybe a younger star guard will shake loose at some point in the next few years as well.
GGforever
Freshman

Post#229 » by GGforever » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:28 am

Yes thank you. First time loving this team since the Dwight days. We should be set for the next 5+ years with Franz and Paolo. Just need some sharpshooters to go along with them.
Bane to me is the most ideal player possible for this team. Doesn’t need the ball to be dominant offensively and plays great defense.
I’m a big Fultz fan as well but his inability to shoot the 3 is exactly why we need someone like Bane next to him.
Or like you said throw some money at FVV.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#230 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Mar 4, 2023 5:20 pm

Would Grizzlies consider moving Ja for any of the following:

Jamal Murray
Pascal Siakam and OG Anunoby
Mikal Bridges and Dorian Finney Smith
Karl-Anthony Towns
SGA
Lamelo
Zach Lavine
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#231 » by VCfor3 » Sat Mar 4, 2023 5:27 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Would Grizzlies consider moving Ja for any of the following:

Jamal Murray
Pascal Siakam
Mikal Bridges
Karl-Anthony Towns
SGA
Lamelo

In all honesty I can't see us moving him even with the latest drama. If we were then SGA would be the pick. I wouldn't move Ja for any of the others.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

Post#232 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:23 pm

As an ORL fan (and closet MEM fan), for a year I've been thinking Dillon Brooks in FA might be a target. Not a good shooter or efficient offensively, but I figured he's a culture-setter defensively and MEM is pretty deep and has a lot of picks...so maybe they'd let him go rather than overpay. The idea of him, Isaac, and Suggs being the most miserable experience for other teams (win or lose) was enticing.

Now, I'm not so interested (and ORL's guard woes have become more obvious) as he seems to have embraced this "villain" role a little too much. Has this act jumped the shark? He's in the news a little too much for the wrong things, IMO, and his behavior is overshadowing his value as a player. Too many techs, too many altercations, too many dumb interviews, too many beefs...not enough hooping. Am I wrong? What will MEM do with him this summer? I wonder if he thinks his higher level of national "visibility" is going to get him paid. I don't.

and What's up with Zaire? He looked like a perfect fit coming in (think Brandon Miller, Jabari Smith, Ingram-lite). Is he in MEM's future plans?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#233 » by VCfor3 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:08 pm

Skybox wrote:As an ORL fan (and closet MEM fan), for a year I've been thinking Dillon Brooks in FA might be a target. Not a good shooter or efficient offensively, but I figured he's a culture-setter defensively and MEM is pretty deep and has a lot of picks...so maybe they'd let him go rather than overpay. The idea of him, Isaac, and Suggs being the most miserable experience for other teams (win or lose) was enticing.

Now, I'm not so interested (and ORL's guard woes have become more obvious) as he seems to have embraced this "villain" role a little too much. Has this act jumped the shark? He's in the news a little too much for the wrong things, IMO, and his behavior is overshadowing his value as a player. Too many techs, too many altercations, too many dumb interviews, too many beefs...not enough hooping. Am I wrong? What will MEM do with him this summer? I wonder if he thinks his higher level of national "visibility" is going to get him paid. I don't.

and What's up with Zaire? He looked like a perfect fit coming in (think Brandon Miller, Jabari Smith, Ingram-lite). Is he in MEM's future plans?

Dillon has always been a pest on the court that plays hard and toes the line. I've said for forever he has to be the most annoying player to have to play against. He's always gotten techs and fouls (saying each player gets 6 a game so might as well use them), but the recent increase in interviews is probably due to the media shifting a bit towards Memphis being the villains instead of the NBA darlings plus Brooks I think is trying to distract others/the media from Ja. He definitely amped up his interviews a bit once the Ja stuff got crazy and I think it was to help him out. Ultimately I think Memphis will end up resigning Brooks this offseason, but the structure of his deal may depend a bit on what other move we make.

As for Ziaire, he was set to be our SF off the bench and a key rotation piece but hit a super rough sophomore slump so has been spending time in the G league. He is still a part of our plans, but he is certainly more gettable now than to start the year. He was supposed to be a project when we drafted him and likely just needs some time to figure things out. It looks like he grew some over the summer and hasn't totally figure out his new body which led to him taking a confidence hit. He should bounce back some next year.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#234 » by VCfor3 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:55 am

If Brown becomes available, what would you be willing to move for him? Bear in mind we can't extend him and he will be an UFA this summer.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#235 » by SD2042 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:03 am

VCfor3 wrote:If Brown becomes available, what would you be willing to move for him? Bear in mind we can't extend him and he will be an UFA this summer.

In this scenario, it would be a big gamble. That would mean guaranteeing a chip at the end of the race. Plus the implications of the Grizzlies salary cap may lead to the team shedding some salary to fit Jaylen's salary on the books. Another box to check will be the chemistry of Brown blending in with the Grizzlies. I think it's possible the blend has the makings of working. I'm leaning on yes on this move.

Who can the Grizzlies risk moving in the move for Brown will be the question.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#236 » by VCfor3 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:17 am

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:If Brown becomes available, what would you be willing to move for him? Bear in mind we can't extend him and he will be an UFA this summer.

In this scenario, it would be a big gamble. That would mean guaranteeing a chip at the end of the race. Plus the implications of the Grizzlies salary cap may lead to the team shedding some salary to fit Jaylen's salary on the books. Another box to check will be the chemistry of Brown blending in with the Grizzlies. I think it's possible the blend has the makings of working. I'm leaning on yes on this move.

I think you offer a pick heavy package with a couple youth. Salary matching will hurt but Tyus likely is the bulk of it.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#237 » by jefe » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:05 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I think you offer a pick heavy package with a couple youth. Salary matching will hurt but Tyus likely is the bulk of it.

Not that Boston would necessarily be interested, but is it even possible under the CBA to do a sign and trade with Dillon and other players/picks this summer?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#238 » by VCfor3 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:48 pm

jefe wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Not that Boston would necessarily be interested, but is it even possible under the CBA to do a sign and trade with Dillon and other players/picks this summer?

You could work out a deal with Boston that sent them Brooks in a SnT, but you'd have to get creative. If we do get Brown for a pick heavy package, it would have to be as a three team deal with the third team taking our package and sending win now talent (Beal, Dame, etc) to Boston.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,835

Post#239 » by psman2 » Sat Apr 8, 2023 6:17 pm

While we are waiting to see who will be our 1st round opponent, I thought we could do some trade/FA hypotheticals for this offseason to fill the time.

As of right now if we bring back Brooks to a contract that is is likely to get...15mish (hoping for a 3/55 at most) and our draft pick at 25/26 and likely bring Lofton back too then we are only a few million shy of the tax and have the MLE 11.3m and the BAE 4.4m to use to sign anyone. We might also get a DPE for Clarke of 6.25m, but it can only be used to sign or trade for a player on one year deal. IF we use the full MLE over the TMLE then we would be subject to the tax apron of 170m that we cannot surpass.

So here a scenario:

1. Houston offers the Clippers 1st next year and no salary coming back for Tyus Jones. That pick is 18 right now. We then hopefully use 18 and our own pick 25 to jump up a few spots to get our preferred target. I will leave the target up to you guys. We get a 14 million TPE out of the deal.

2. We resign Brooks, we can argue about the price tag but given our other options resigning him as long as it is not a overpayment is likely out best course of action. SNT could come into play but I will just leave this scenario as we resign him.

3. We know have a 14m TPE, the full MLE 11.3 (can be used as a TPE too now), the BAE 4.4m, and maybe a DPE of 6.25m for Clarke. I think we have to get someone with some PG skills with the lose of Jones and Chandler not ready for prime time yet. We could also use a go to scoring 6th man, and we always are in need of another 3nD wing.

So how would you guys go about filling our our roster?

Possible MLE guys:

Coby White- Is a RFA so we would have to work with that fact. He has had a better year and could fill in that 6th man role for us. I think we would have a good chance of signing him away from Chicago in that 7-8m range. His TS% has gone up every year but he lacks the PG skills to replace Jones.

Christian Wood- If Dallas doesn't choose to resign him then I think the full MLE is going to be what he ends up signing for. A good scorer and rebounder, but D is almost Kanter bad. I think I prefer our 6th man to be a wing, but I really thing Wood could be a good addition to our squad overall and hopefully we can cover for him on D.

Josh Hart- Overall just a solid overall 2/3 that offer plus rebounding and ok skills across the board. Likely take the full MLE to sign if he chooses to leave NY. Not a PG of course but he can handle the ball well enough to be paired with another decent ball handler and not require a true PG on the floor. He is likely my favorite target.

Donte DiVincenzo- I think he opts out of his deal with GS and is a ufa. He is another guy that is well rounded, again not a true PG but can run a offense paired with another decent ball handler. I think he can be a plus shooter and defender. Health has really been the thing that has held him back. I think we could sign him for something in the 8-10m a year range.

Bruce Brown- Another guy that is likely to opt out of his option year. Another jack of all trades that could help fill some of the PG duties while helping 1-3. likely take 10m+ to get him to leave Denver. I think he would be an underrated target for us.

Thybulle- He is off the charts on D but so far his O is been off the charts bad. His shooting since coming over to Portland has improved and if it holds could be a starter on the right team. RFA so may take a overpay or SNT to get him away from Portland.

Possible DPE/BAE guys:

Dennis Smith Jr.- I think he has shown enough to be a 15-20 minute guy and likely doesn't cost much to sign.

Schroder-I don't love the guy but the pickings are thin for backup PGs. We might have to pay him more than this to get him to leave LAL depending what they offer to him.

Possible trade targets using the Tyus Jones TPE of 14m:

Bamba- LAL might not even pick up his option but I am still holding out hope he can turn into something. Likely only cost a 2nd or two.

DFS- 3nD wing that is solid but nothing special. But he will likely be high demand and could cost us the GS 2024 1st to obtain.

Royce O'Neale- Another 3nd SF that may be obtainable for our own 2024 1st LP.

List of a few other PG trade targets: Monte Morris, Wright, and TJ McConnell.

So what say you?

edit. for the one or two of you guys who reads this far we likely going to have to spin off some bodies to use all this avenues of improvement.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#240 » by VCfor3 » Sun Apr 9, 2023 11:29 pm

psman2 wrote:
Spoiler:
While we are waiting to see who will be our 1st round opponent, I thought we could do some trade/FA hypotheticals for this offseason to fill the time.

As of right now if we bring back Brooks to a contract that is is likely to get...15mish (hoping for a 3/55 at most) and our draft pick at 25/26 and likely bring Lofton back too then we are only a few million shy of the tax and have the MLE 11.3m and the BAE 4.4m to use to sign anyone. We might also get a DPE for Clarke of 6.25m, but it can only be used to sign or trade for a player on one year deal. IF we use the full MLE over the TMLE then we would be subject to the tax apron of 170m that we cannot surpass.

So here a scenario:

1. Houston offers the Clippers 1st next year and no salary coming back for Tyus Jones. That pick is 18 right now. We then hopefully use 18 and our own pick 25 to jump up a few spots to get our preferred target. I will leave the target up to you guys. We get a 14 million TPE out of the deal.

2. We resign Brooks, we can argue about the price tag but given our other options resigning him as long as it is not a overpayment is likely out best course of action. SNT could come into play but I will just leave this scenario as we resign him.

3. We know have a 14m TPE, the full MLE 11.3 (can be used as a TPE too now), the BAE 4.4m, and maybe a DPE of 6.25m for Clarke. I think we have to get someone with some PG skills with the lose of Jones and Chandler not ready for prime time yet. We could also use a go to scoring 6th man, and we always are in need of another 3nD wing.

So how would you guys go about filling our our roster?

Possible MLE guys:

Coby White- Is a RFA so we would have to work with that fact. He has had a better year and could fill in that 6th man role for us. I think we would have a good chance of signing him away from Chicago in that 7-8m range. His TS% has gone up every year but he lacks the PG skills to replace Jones.

Christian Wood- If Dallas doesn't choose to resign him then I think the full MLE is going to be what he ends up signing for. A good scorer and rebounder, but D is almost Kanter bad. I think I prefer our 6th man to be a wing, but I really thing Wood could be a good addition to our squad overall and hopefully we can cover for him on D.

Josh Hart- Overall just a solid overall 2/3 that offer plus rebounding and ok skills across the board. Likely take the full MLE to sign if he chooses to leave NY. Not a PG of course but he can handle the ball well enough to be paired with another decent ball handler and not require a true PG on the floor. He is likely my favorite target.

Donte DiVincenzo- I think he opts out of his deal with GS and is a ufa. He is another guy that is well rounded, again not a true PG but can run a offense paired with another decent ball handler. I think he can be a plus shooter and defender. Health has really been the thing that has held him back. I think we could sign him for something in the 8-10m a year range.

Bruce Brown- Another guy that is likely to opt out of his option year. Another jack of all trades that could help fill some of the PG duties while helping 1-3. likely take 10m+ to get him to leave Denver. I think he would be an underrated target for us.

Thybulle- He is off the charts on D but so far his O is been off the charts bad. His shooting since coming over to Portland has improved and if it holds could be a starter on the right team. RFA so may take a overpay or SNT to get him away from Portland.

Possible DPE/BAE guys:

Dennis Smith Jr.- I think he has shown enough to be a 15-20 minute guy and likely doesn't cost much to sign.

Schroder-I don't love the guy but the pickings are thin for backup PGs. We might have to pay him more than this to get him to leave LAL depending what they offer to him.

Possible trade targets using the Tyus Jones TPE of 14m:

Bamba- LAL might not even pick up his option but I am still holding out hope he can turn into something. Likely only cost a 2nd or two.

DFS- 3nD wing that is solid but nothing special. But he will likely be high demand and could cost us the GS 2024 1st to obtain.

Royce O'Neale- Another 3nd SF that may be obtainable for our own 2024 1st LP.

List of a few other PG trade targets: Monte Morris, Wright, and TJ McConnell.

So what say you?

edit. for the one or two of you guys who reads this far we likely going to have to spin off some bodies to use all this avenues of improvement

Spinning off bodies may hurt but on to the rest. I think Plan A is to go big game hunting this offseason and make a swing for a fourth young core guy. We tried that at the deadline and I don't see why we wouldn't again this offseason. Bridges looks to be untouchable unfortunately, but Brown has some rumblings and could shake loose. We also may revisit OG. Otherwise, I think we mostly stay pat. Tyus is pretty needed for the regular season. Likely the postseason too but we will see. I could definitely see the LAC trade happening as part of a bigger deal to dump salary and get another asset though. I like the idea of TJ McConnell as a backup if we do lose Tyus for whatever reason. Brooks likely will cost more than 15m a year but I'm ok bringing him back even at fair market value. We need his defense unless we have a true upgrade. That leaves us trying to pick up someone around the edges and I think DFS or Royce would be great targets. With the new rules allowing us to use the MLE like a TPE, Royce would fit so maybe you can do a Konchar for Royce if we feel that is an upgrade worth pursuing.

As for your MLE list, Hart I would love to get as 2/3 depth. Wood is good but it worries me that teams keep wanting to get rid of him. Brown has not been what Denver hoped, but I like the idea of taking a flyer on him. White or DD as bench gunners especially if Tyus is gone isn't a bad plan. Thybulle would be lower on my list just because shooting has been such a big problem for us I don't know if we can cover for him, but if other options aren't there he is again someone to consider taking a flyer on.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies