ImageImage

Grizzlies Trade Thread

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#41 » by jefe » Tue Jan 9, 2024 1:14 pm

VCfor3 wrote:So do we sell off Kennard? Konchar? Smart? Biz? (I personally would hold onto Smart)

Any trade we make now would be with an eye to next season, and I think our best asset is likely our upcoming draft pick. With this in mind, I don't think I'd make any "major" move at the deadline: maybe just a small consolidation trade to open up a roster spot for Vince Williams (i.e. get him off a two-way and let him play more than 50 games this year).

Beyond that and depending upon where our pick lands, I would consider packaging it with most any of the guys you mentioned (other than Biz, of course, because he is on a one-year deal) for a draft night trade to bring in a "win now" piece.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#42 » by SD2042 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:06 am

So do we sell off Kennard? Konchar? Smart? Biz? (I personally would hold onto Smart)

The contract that Biz is on due to the exemption contract from the Ja suspension plus with the Steven Adams injury. So he's disqualified from any trades this season.

Keep Smart.

Sell off for players and picks if possible. The intention behind this will be about rebuilding chemistry with their bench in hopes to work though the kinks so by the next season, they will be in sync and be a much better team as a result.

Kennard
ZW
Jake
Konchar
Tillman
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#43 » by esvl » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:29 pm

SD2042 wrote:So do we sell off Kennard? Konchar? Smart? Biz? (I personally would hold onto Smart)

Keep Smart.

Kennard
ZW
Jake
Konchar
Tillman

I concur on keeping Smart. The other guys can be made available, but not for 2nds.

I would make each Aldama and Roddy available for FRP.

ZW should stay - he showed some crazy flashes.

I still believe in LaRavia.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#44 » by jefe » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:13 pm

SD2042 wrote:So do we sell off Kennard? Konchar? Smart? Biz? (I personally would hold onto Smart)

The contract that Biz is on due to the exemption contract from the Ja suspension plus with the Steven Adams injury. So he's disqualified from any trades this season.

Keep Smart.

Sell off for players and picks if possible. The intention behind this will be about rebuilding chemistry with their bench in hopes to work though the kinks so by the next season, they will be in sync and be a much better team as a result.

Kennard
ZW
Jake
Konchar
Tillman

I agree keep Smart. For me, I wouldn't make the goal to acquire a boatload of 1st round picks ala OKC. One, I don't think we have the assets (outside of the core three) to command such a return. Two, I don't think we should be angling for a total rebuild. Three, we have already had to cut two prospects that we liked in 2023 (Chandler and Lofton) to open up roster spots, so we already have a roster crunch without multiple firsts.

My goal would be to package our 2024 first with salary and marginal/small player assets in a draft night trade for a win-now established vet. With that in mind, Kennard would probably be the first player I'd include for salary reasons. My hope would be that ZW, Roddy, and/or Laravia show something over the course of this year to make another team believe they are a bonafide NBA prospect, making them the marginal/small player asset(s) included in the deal. It's probably a pipedream at this point, but that would be my goal.
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 47

Post#45 » by RingoKid » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:15 pm

Trade the Coach and GM for a bucket of fried chicken, a six pack, a couple grams of weed and a lap dance at the local strip club...

Guaranteed satisfaction, if only for a night.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#46 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:49 pm

Who is most likely player you move at the deadline?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#47 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:24 pm

jefe wrote:

Keep Smart.

Kennard
ZW
Jake
Konchar
Tillman

I agree keep Smart. For me, I wouldn't make the goal to acquire a boatload of 1st round picks ala OKC. One, I don't think we have the assets (outside of the core three) to command such a return. Two, I don't think we should be angling for a total rebuild. Three, we have already had to cut two prospects that we liked in 2023 (Chandler and Lofton) to open up roster spots, so we already have a roster crunch without multiple firsts.

My goal would be to package our 2024 first with salary and marginal/small player assets in a draft night trade for a win-now established vet. With that in mind, Kennard would probably be the first player I'd include for salary reasons. My hope would be that ZW, Roddy, and/or Laravia show something over the course of this year to make another team believe they are a bonafide NBA prospect, making them the marginal/small player asset(s) included in the deal. It's probably a pipedream at this point, but that would be my goal.

At this point, I felt the Grizzlies should've made a couple of deals going back to the last two drafts. At the time, their identity was establish. They had the mix of vets and young players. Now it seems like they lost some of that identity that made them who they were in the first place. They need to find the right deal or deal(s) to get that back in their favor so they can be battle prepared and hopefully more healthy heading into next season as this season has been a frustrating one to endure.

As for ZW, I think he's more of a role player at this point. Perhaps, he still has room to get better. I'm just not fully convince it's with the Grizzlies. LaRavia is out for three weeks. So the Grizzlies will have to allow him to build his value up when he returns. So perhaps in the offseason he could get move so another useful player if he doesn't improve his reliability as a Grizzlies when he returns to the fold in February. As for Konchar, I can see the Grizzlies maybe get a couple of future seconds in a cost-cutting move.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#48 » by chrbal » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:33 am

SD2042 wrote: As for Konchar, I can see the Grizzlies maybe get a couple of future seconds in a cost-cutting move.

I’m legitimately asking, why do you think you can a couple seconds for him?

His raw stats don’t look like much, what does he actually provide?
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#49 » by esvl » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:40 am

chrbal wrote:
SD2042 wrote: As for Konchar, I can see the Grizzlies maybe get a couple of future seconds in a cost-cutting move.

Every teammate plays 2x better when he is on the floor. They thrive around him. He never played for his own stats, 0 ego, a my team first and foremost guy. He is that kind of connector, highly impactful. Foundational. Small smart meaningful things. Intangibles. His PER was always through the roof. Just the nicest, happiest guy on Earth.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#50 » by esvl » Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:51 am

JMAC3 wrote:Who is most likely player you move at the deadline?

Konchar
ZW
Roddy
Kennard
Aldama
Tillman

But only as available for the right price or most likely as part of a consolidation type of trade.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#51 » by SD2042 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:13 pm

esvl wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Every teammate plays 2x better when he is on the floor. They thrive around him. He never played for his own stats, 0 ego, a my team first and foremost guy. He is that kind of connector, highly impactful. Foundational. Small smart meaningful things. Intangibles. His PER was always through the roof. Just the nicest, happiest guy on Earth.

And 1+

To add further:

Konchar is that player who is underestimated if ppl just look at the stats. However, as long as he's in the right situation, he can and has been proven useful for the team's purposes. Spot up shooter, defender, effective in transition,
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,834

Post#52 » by psman2 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:56 pm

SD2042 wrote:
esvl wrote:
chrbal wrote:

And 1+

To add further:

Konchar is that player who is underestimated if ppl just look at the stats. However, as long as he's in the right situation, he can and has been proven useful for the team's purposes. Spot up shooter, defender, effective in transition,

I think Konchar has gotten lost in the shuffle here due do all the young forwards that we need to develop right now. If it was all about putting the best team on the floor every night right now the Konchar is likely a firm rotation player for us. He is a PJ Tucker type of player, plays bigger than his numbers.

Having said that I could see us taking next to nothing for him in a trade right now to clear some of that future tax concerns. With the emergence of Vince and maybe GG too.... then he is likely going to be relegated to a deep rotation role next year still. But a top heavy team like Boston or Phoenix would love to have Konchar is that 7-9th man role.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#53 » by chrbal » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:12 pm

psman2 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
esvl wrote:

And 1+

To add further:

I think Konchar has gotten lost in the shuffle here due do all the young forwards that we need to develop right now. If it was all about putting the best team on the floor every night right now the Konchar is likely a firm rotation player for us. He is a PJ Tucker type of player, plays bigger than his numbers.

Having said that I could see us taking next to nothing for him in a trade right now to clear some of that future tax concerns. With the emergence of Vince and maybe GG too.... then he is likely going to be relegated to a deep rotation role next year still. But a top heavy team like Boston or Phoenix would love to have Konchar is that 7-9th man role.

Thanks to everyone who responded, was honestly wondering.

Wouldn’t mind him for Detroit just to have a guy whose interested in doing the fringe things that help teams improve.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#54 » by VCfor3 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:00 am

chrbal wrote:
psman2 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
And 1+

To add further:

Wouldn’t mind him for Detroit just to have a guy whose interested in doing the fringe things that help teams improve.

I'm not sure if he would be all that great for Detroit. Konchar is a solid glue guy an is almost always the 4th-5th best guy on the court for you. When paired with other high level players, he is great and fills in the gaps. His +/- is awesome and he consistently contributes to winning. But when he plays with lesser players, he can't magnify his game well and is a lot less effective. Contenders should all be making a call looking at him as a cheap depth piece that can give you some playoff minutes, but struggling teams should likely avoid him and look elsewhere. At least that's my impression.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#55 » by SD2042 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:15 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I'm not sure if he would be all that great for Detroit. Konchar is a solid glue guy an is almost always the 4th-5th best guy on the court for you. When paired with other high level players, he is great and fills in the gaps. His +/- is awesome and he consistently contributes to winning. But when he plays with lesser players, he can't magnify his game well and is a lot less effective. Contenders should all be making a call looking at him as a cheap depth piece that can give you some playoff minutes, but struggling teams should likely avoid him and look elsewhere. At least that's my impression.

When you stated this bolded part, you and i are thinking in similar thought on Konchar. He would best benefit from being on a playoff contender. The one team I have in mind is the Milwaukee Bucks. They need to improve their backcourt defense. Numbers wise, it's been down since the trade of Jrue Holiday from a few months ago. Plus when they have players like Dame Time and Malik Beasley in their backcourt, the defense isn't well verse. Perhaps on the bench as well. So a player like Konchar would be an improvement in reserve minutes they have on the bench.

Grizzlies trade Konchar

To

Bucks for A.J. Green(Club Option in the offseason) or waive him outright plus 2027 SRP
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#56 » by SD2042 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:51 pm

chrbal wrote:
psman2 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
And 1+

To add further:

Here's a question. If you were the Pistons GM and you know your job is on the line, how would you best make the changes to help drive the team in the right direction?
chrbal
RealGM

Post#57 » by chrbal » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:02 am

SD2042 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Here's a question. If you were the Pistons GM and you know your job is on the line, how would you best make the changes to help drive the team in the right direction?

Isn’t that the billion dollar question. I would try to the sell the owner on keeping me into the offseason so I can “properly execute my plan”. So trying to aggressively but effectively help the roster mix. <Personally I think Weaver should be fired by the end of the season >
For the time being I would try to add some young castoffs like;

Jordan Nwora- had a good run with the pacers last season, young enough to where he might actually figure it out. While the raptors might not want to keep him.

Aleksej Pokuševsk- had a decent run last season with the Thunder, but it seems like they’d be fine with moving on.

And so on. Not really a perfect plan, but at least they have potential as shooters. And just try to stumble across a diamond in the rough.

I think if you’re trying to save your job now, you’re looking at the likes of Jevon Carter (seems like going to Detroit, it would be easier to be effective again playing on such a flawed team just trying to fix its culture/discipline), Kevin Huerter, or John Collins. Yes, not all the same level but you need guys to help fix this. The problem is you’re eating up your own payroll with guys that aren’t sure fire fixes
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#58 » by SD2042 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:19 am

chrbal wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Isn’t that the billion dollar question. I would try to the sell the owner on keeping me into the offseason so I can “properly execute my plan”. So trying to aggressively but effectively help the roster mix. <Personally I think Weaver should be fired by the end of the season >

Jordan Nwora- had a good run with the pacers last season, young enough to where he might actually figure it out. While the raptors might not want to keep him.

Aleksej Pokuševsk- had a decent run last season with the Thunder, but it seems like they’d be fine with moving on.

And so on. Not really a perfect plan, but at least they have potential as shooters. And just try to stumble across a diamond in the rough.

I think if you’re trying to save your job now, you’re looking at the likes of Jevon Carter (seems like going to Detroit, it would be easier to be effective again playing on such a flawed team just trying to fix its culture/discipline), Kevin Huerter, or John Collins. Yes, not all the same level but you need guys to help fix this. The problem is you’re eating up your own payroll with guys that aren’t sure fire fixes

Not all plans will be perfect. The come up has to start somewhere. With some many issues around the Pistons, it makes for a the perfect storm of complications. I do like your thinking of taking some calculated shots on players who have fallen out of the rotation on certain teams like Poku or Nwora for instance. Another example could be Grimes since he's on the block. It could be a crazy idea, maybe the Kevin Huerter idea may not be a bad one to try.

Last question. Do you think Cade has earn enough clout to lead the Pistons into the future or he could benefit from a secondary role?
chrbal
RealGM

Post#59 » by chrbal » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:08 pm

SD2042 wrote:
chrbal wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Not all plans will be perfect. The come up has to start somewhere. With some many issues around the Pistons, it makes for a the perfect storm of complications. I do like your thinking of taking some calculated shots on players who have fallen out of the rotation on certain teams like Poku or Nwora for instance. Another example could be Grimes since he's on the block. It could be a crazy idea, maybe the Kevin Huerter idea may not be a bad one to try.

Last question. Do you think Cade has earn enough clout to lead the Pistons into the future or he could benefit from a secondary role?

I forget about Grimes. I honestly would try to pull something off with getting him to Detroit and letting him loose to see what happens.

To answer your question, I really do think he can lead the team into the future. I don’t think he’s on a generational superstar level, like he needs talent around him. He can’t just will some garbage roster to a successful season. But he’s not a false max contract player either. You figure this is practically his second season in the NBA. And the help they did get him are either injured (Monte Morris) or fell off the map (Joe Harris).

Another thing, not that you asked, I think we screwed up by hiring Monty Williams. Not that he’s a bad coach, but more that he might not be fully invested in the Pistons success. We had to up his contract offer like two or three times to get him here. That doesn’t exactly sound like he really wanted the gig.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,834

Post#60 » by psman2 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:23 pm

With Memphis name being in the mix for Grimes what would you guys give up for him? He has decent size for a 2 and can slide to 3 for some mins. His skillset is just a pure 3/D and slots as a likely 20 minute guy when we are fully healthy.

Knicks need some size upfront for the playoffs, ideally at the four. Would you guys give up Tillman/2nds for Grimes. Aldama?

Return to Memphis Grizzlies