esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#81 » by esvl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:38 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
I think Rose needs to be dumped no matter what, terrible signing from day one. It just a matter of what we rather have...Konchar or the BAE or ability to use a portion of our big TPE. Getting off Roddy gives us some flexibility but likely not enough to open up those other tools. I think using the full MLE or a SNT for a center is the goal right now and we need breathing room. IH is the most likely target as of right now.

Based on his performance, IH might get something closer to Poeltl than MLE.

I remember you hated Rose from the very beginning. Fairly so it turns out. I hope he will retire.

That is why we need to clear enough salary to maybe do a SNT and stay under the 1st apron. Not that I want to give IH 20m but I do what the opportunity to at least explore the SNT option.

I don’t think IH is not our caliber. We’d rather keep Adams. That’s why I think we’d rather target an elite or borderline elite big via trade.

PS I got Roddy right.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,834

Post#82 » by psman2 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:45 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
Based on his performance, IH might get something closer to Poeltl than MLE.

I remember you hated Rose from the very beginning. Fairly so it turns out. I hope he will retire.

That is why we need to clear enough salary to maybe do a SNT and stay under the 1st apron. Not that I want to give IH 20m but I do what the opportunity to at least explore the SNT option.

I don’t think IH is not our caliber. We’d rather keep Adams. That’s why I think we’d rather target an elite or borderline elite big via trade.

PS I got Roddy right.

Adams age with injury troubles was just not a long term solution here. IH D is approaching DPOY level this year, it has been amazing. He has a chance to develop an outside shot still too.

But a SNT for Claxton could be in play as well. Otherwise a Kennard 2025 1st LP for Poeltl is what we might be looking at. I don't think we want to spend more the 25 million at the center spot unless he really compliments JJJ.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#83 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:15 pm

esvl wrote:
SD2042 wrote:I wonder would Milwaukee be interested in Konchar? Perhaps trade him to the Bucks for a couple of salaried players with club options to drop them off plus their 2027 pick?

Or Konchar to the Nuggets for Cancar’s contract and future second round pick? Drop Cancar off.

They absolutely should. 2 SRP should be a starting offer.

Denver for sure. Milwaukee, I believe have exhausted the majority of their second round picks except for their 2027 second round pick.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#84 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:18 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:

PS I got Roddy right.

If Poeltl were to be traded here, would he get played off the floor if the Grizzlies have to go against a run and gun team?

Adams age with injury troubles was just not a long term solution here. IH D is approaching DPOY level this year, it has been amazing. He has a chance to develop an outside shot still too.

But a SNT for Claxton could be in play as well. Otherwise a Kennard 2025 1st LP for Poeltl is what we might be looking at. I don't think we want to spend more the 25 million at the center spot unless he really compliments JJJ.
psman2
General Manager

Post#85 » by psman2 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:21 pm

SD2042 wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

PS I got Roddy right.

If Poeltl were to be traded here, would he get played off the floor if the Grizzlies have to go against a run and gun team?

Yep, Poeltl would be like getting a younger version of Adams. Good passer. But likely is bench in the 4th. Just not the greatest use of money/assets. IH is a little better in guarding space and has a chance at a decent shot, rather SNT for him for likely less money but maybe the same 1st in cost. Don't want Mitch Rob really unless he is dirt cheap.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#86 » by esvl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:27 pm

I don’t believe in our interest in IH, who I like for the record.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#87 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:13 pm

The deadline has come and gone.

What is everyone’s reviews on the actions of the Grizzlies?
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#88 » by esvl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:17 pm

We got 4 SRPs, 15 m cap space, FRP swap rights for Tillman, Roddy, Adams.

Neither was a core player or any kind of game-changer, so getting positive assets and cap flexibility is a positive result. Nothing heroic, but reasonable in my view.

Grade: B to B+
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#89 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:07 am

Agree with everything esvl said. I got it as a solid B+.

I hate losing Adams, but they were worried about his knee I guess and needed to clear some salary. 2nds for someone out for the year is a decent return.

Moving Roddy from a directional standpoint was fine as we needed to clear some of our struggling young wing group out. I bet we tried Ziaire for Hayes, Detroit wanted a 2nd or two to eat that second year, and Memphis declined so Hayes was waived. So Roddy was the move over the other young guys. As for his return, we did quite well. That swap likely will be nothing, but it adds a tiny bit more value to that pick which could be important in future trade talks. Yuta and Metu are decent players and if Yuta opts into his PO I think he could be a solid end of the bench type guy for us (though I'd move one of him or Konchar for a couple 2nds in that scenario).

Tillman was a good move for both teams and a rare win-win trade. We were going to lose him for nothing this offseason. Getting two 2nds in the distant future is a decent return. Tillman may now get a ring and should be a good fit with Boston.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#90 » by SD2042 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:23 am

Overall, the Grizzlies executed their mission for financial cap relief plus acquiring SRPs, FRP pick swap. They accomplish their goals for this trade deadline. Not a bad day here. With the season going as it's been going, they did what they had to do to make room for future salary cap and edge off some players off the roster whom no longer have a future as Grizzlies.
psman2
General Manager

Post#91 » by psman2 » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:57 am

Solid B. We made the decision to pull the plug on Roddy, that takes a little guts, but if we didn't do it now we might have needed to spend assets on clearing him or another one of our disappointing forwards in the offseason to accomplish our goals. I don't think our motives was to save money here like other posters seem to think with all these moves, it was to get into a position with the most flexibility next offseason. By getting off money we now open the avenues of staying under the 1st apron and having the full MLE and/or the ability to do a SNT or use our TPE. Those avenues would not been open with out these moves for the most part. Now maybe we fall on our face and end up with something even worse than Adams when the dust settles, but I for one like to take the big swing when you can. This might be the last offseason where we will have these type of mechanisms still open to use to improve our team. If things break right we should enter next offseason with the best roster we have ever had in Memphis history to start the season, feels weird typing that but I honestly believe it to be true.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#92 » by jefe » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:55 pm

I'll say it again: I really hope that we have a plan for acquiring a starting center that isn't simply using our own first round pick this year. I have this sinking feeling that we're not going to package our pick with some salary to bring in an experienced center; rather, we'll identify "our guy" in the draft and either use the pick or make an in-draft trade to move to a spot to select him.

While that strategy has worked in the past (i.e. Bane, Aldama, Tillman), it's also failed us, too (i.e. Ziare, Laravia, Roddy). I also think that this team is reaching the point where trying to bring along another rookie as a major/starting piece just doesn't align with the window of our core, who are all on second contracts next year with UFA on the horizon in the time it would take to develop a rookie C (who, fingers crossed, would be more like the Bane, Aldama, Tillman picks rather than the Ziare, Laravia, Roddy picks).
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#93 » by esvl » Fri Feb 9, 2024 1:07 pm

jefe wrote:I'll say it again: I really hope that we have a plan for acquiring a starting center that isn't simply using our own first round pick this year. I have this sinking feeling that we're not going to package our pick with some salary to bring in an experienced center; rather, we'll identify "our guy" in the draft and either use the pick or make an in-draft trade to move to a spot to select him.

While that strategy has worked in the past (i.e. Bane, Aldama, Tillman), it's also failed us, too (i.e. Ziare, Laravia, Roddy). I also think that this team is reaching the point where trying to bring along another rookie as a major/starting piece just doesn't align with the window of our core, who are all on second contracts next year with UFA on the horizon in the time it would take to develop a rookie C (who, fingers crossed, would be more like the Bane, Aldama, Tillman picks rather than the Ziare, Laravia, Roddy picks).

Are we that bad with JJJ at 5? Do we need to pay 20m to bring a starting center?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#94 » by SD2042 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:23 am

esvl wrote:
jefe wrote:I'll say it again: I really hope that we have a plan for acquiring a starting center that isn't simply using our own first round pick this year. I have this sinking feeling that we're not going to package our pick with some salary to bring in an experienced center; rather, we'll identify "our guy" in the draft and either use the pick or make an in-draft trade to move to a spot to select him.

Are we that bad with JJJ at 5? Do we need to pay 20m to bring a starting center?

In certain matches, 3J can get away with being a center. For me, his lack of better rebounding numbers doesn't convince me that he needs to be a center full time. I rather have a solid center who can crash the boards well as playing defense and chip in on offense as needed.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#95 » by VCfor3 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:19 am

Any plans/predictions/hopes for this offseason? King K said their moves this offseason were to add flexibility and be "intentional" with their roster spots. They see this as our championship window. They also said that the decision tree starts with where our pick falls. From there they can look at trading the pick or using it and then operating according. They also said they see Luke and Clarke as important pieces so though we can use them as filler, we likely will value them a decent bit. We may have an option to opt out of Kennard's TO and resign him for a bit cheaper but more years. I'm not sure if Yuta will opt into that deal. Feels like he could get more on the open market.

Unlikely to be traded:
Morant
Bane
JJJ
Smart

Player Assets:
Santi
Vince
GG
Konchar
Luke and Clarke if needed mainly for larger salaries

Filler:
Ziaire
LaRavia
Rose

TPE:
$7,492,540 (expires 07/08/24)
$12,600,000 (expires 02/02/25)

Picks:
2024 1st (Projected #6-7)
2025 1st
2026 1st (can swap with worst of PHX, WAS, or ORL)
2027 1st
2028 1st
2029 1st
2030 (can swap with the worst of PHX or WAS)
Plus maybe 8 or so 2nds
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#96 » by esvl » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:42 am

My guy feeling is that we will be sitting with Kennard, TRE, Clarke + picks till the next February waiting for an opportunity to get a close to max player to come any moment.

Guys like Siakam, Claxton, Davis, Butler.

Absent that opportunity, we look good when healthy.
psman2
General Manager

Post#97 » by psman2 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:21 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Any plans/predictions/hopes for this offseason? King K said their moves this offseason were to add flexibility and be "intentional" with their roster spots. They see this as our championship window. They also said that the decision tree starts with where our pick falls. From there they can look at trading the pick or using it and then operating according. They also said they see Luke and Clarke as important pieces so though we can use them as filler, we likely will value them a decent bit. We may have an option to opt out of Kennard's TO and resign him for a bit cheaper but more years. I'm not sure if Yuta will opt into that deal. Feels like he could get more on the open market.

Unlikely to be traded:
Morant
Bane
JJJ
Smart

Player Assets:
Santi
Vince
GG
Konchar
Luke and Clarke if needed mainly for larger salaries

Filler:
Ziaire
LaRavia
Rose

TPE:
$7,492,540 (expires 07/08/24)
$12,600,000 (expires 02/02/25)

Picks:
2024 1st (Projected #6-7)
2025 1st
2026 1st (can swap with worst of PHX, WAS, or ORL)
2027 1st
2028 1st
2029 1st
2030 (can swap with the worst of PHX or WAS)
Plus maybe 8 or so 2nds

My offseason plan

1. What can Kennard/filler/#6-7+ net us in trade? Really needs to be a 4/5 or 5/4. Unfortunately as of right now I don't see a good likely trade target. Maybe Jarrett Allen if Clev want to shake things up, but this draft really does look weak at the top so likely cost us more. Maybe a trade down and use one of the assets to land a WCJ (Could use Zaire and Konchar instead of Kennard too to match salary).

2. If no trade is found I would love for us to do some kind of trade down to net 2 mids 1sts this year. I want to double tap the 4/5 position in this trade.

I want one out of these bigs with a 3pt shot: Kyle Filipowski, Kel'el Ware, and DaRon Holmes.
I want one of these bigs with plus defensive chops that can defend in space: Yves Missi, Donovan Clingan (big but can move), and Oso Ighodaro.

3. We then have a decision to make on Kennard. It is either Kennard GTD, the full MLE/DPE, or SNT, can only fit one option really. I think are going to stay below the 1st apron no matter what so we are going to have to trim some 4 million no matter what, likely a Ziare dump imo. I think we waive Kennard and go into the offseason with the option to SNT open, full MLE or DPE, and still the leave the door open on bringing back Kennard or a double SNT. If we dump both Zaire and Konchar that likely open up the option to use the full MLE or DPE and still bring back Kennard on a 3/28m type of deal. I think IH has a decent shot at only getting the MLE, but if we cannot get him to sign or a SNT then we are likely looking at the trade market instead of signing someone.

4. So here is what I would guess our offseason looks like. Draft Ware and Missi. Decline Kennard. Trade Zaire/Konchar/incentive for Rob Williams or WCJ. Resign Kennard to 3/28. If Kennard doesn't want to sign we still have most of the MLE to use and stay under the 1st apron. Rob Williams (if no WCJ)is risky so might be better to go for a Goga with a cheaper deal like a 3/25 and give us more breathing room under the apron and keep Konchar, still need to dump Zaire (or LaRavia/Rose) going that route. Not super sexy but sets us up for a good 3-4 year run.

Bonus. Naz Reid could be moveable with Minny wants to rebalance their roster some and we should have some interest but expiring. And Precious' recent play has be thinking he might be a MLE target for us for us....3/27 type of deal with a team option.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#98 » by esvl » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:41 pm

I hope Claxton is our primary goal. His arrival would be a game-changer. I would be fine with sending #7.

Otherwise, the list of targets remains the same: Capela, RWIII, WCJ, Lopez, etc.

Draft: I would trade #7 for future picks. If not, Ware (maybe Smith) is the only guy who I found somehow intriguing so far.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#99 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:49 pm

Mmmh...

Aiyâ!

You got La Mar.
So I'm in.

Glad to know you all.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#100 » by VCfor3 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:11 am

Anyone else feel like GG will be a part of any star trade as a blue chip young guy? I don't know if any star shakes loose that we have interest in, but I feel opposing teams would demand him or Vince with GG making more sense. A top pick this draft, GG as a young prospect, and future 1sts (with swaps that somewhat raise the floor of two picks). That's a solid package. Not saying I would want to give GG up, but just that he seems like a sticking point in future trade discussions when star hunting.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies