Grizzlies Trade Thread

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#61 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:14 am

I wouldn't do Aldama even though he is slumping a bit right now. I'd consider Tillman, but given how much Grimes is being shopped I wonder if you could somehow do Jake and 2nds. That's very likely not enough, but I don't know what Grimes value is right this second.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#62 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:46 am

chrbal wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Isn’t that the billion dollar question. I would try to the sell the owner on keeping me into the offseason so I can “properly execute my plan”. So trying to aggressively but effectively help the roster mix. <Personally I think Weaver should be fired by the end of the season >
For the time being I would try to add some young castoffs like;

Jordan Nwora- had a good run with the pacers last season, young enough to where he might actually figure it out. While the raptors might not want to keep him.

Aleksej Pokuševsk- had a decent run last season with the Thunder, but it seems like they’d be fine with moving on.

And so on. Not really a perfect plan, but at least they have potential as shooters. And just try to stumble across a diamond in the rough.

I think if you’re trying to save your job now, you’re looking at the likes of Jevon Carter (seems like going to Detroit, it would be easier to be effective again playing on such a flawed team just trying to fix its culture/discipline), Kevin Huerter, or John Collins. Yes, not all the same level but you need guys to help fix this. The problem is you’re eating up your own payroll with guys that aren’t sure fire fixes

Not all plans will be perfect. The come up has to start somewhere. With some many issues around the Pistons, it makes for a the perfect storm of complications. I do like your thinking of taking some calculated shots on players who have fallen out of the rotation on certain teams like Poku or Nwora for instance. Another example could be Grimes since he's on the block. It could be a crazy idea, maybe the Kevin Huerter idea may not be a bad one to try.

Last question. Do you think Cade has earn enough clout to lead the Pistons into the future or he could benefit from a secondary role?

I forget about Grimes. I honestly would try to pull something off with getting him to Detroit and letting him loose to see what happens.

To answer your question, I really do think he can lead the team into the future. I don’t think he’s on a generational superstar level, like he needs talent around him. He can’t just will some garbage roster to a successful season. But he’s not a false max contract player either. You figure this is practically his second season in the NBA. And the help they did get him are either injured (Monte Morris) or fell off the map (Joe Harris).

Another thing, not that you asked, I think we screwed up by hiring Monty Williams. Not that he’s a bad coach, but more that he might not be fully invested in the Pistons success. We had to up his contract offer like two or three times to get him here. That doesn’t exactly sound like he really wanted the gig.

Without question, no second year player let alone one of high potential to lead the team into the future should be expected to lead a team of mismatch puzzles to a winning record. That will take time, effort, and in the Pistons case, a miracle to pull off. In this case, like what the Grizzlies did four seasons back, they blend in the right set of vets who knew what it takes to win and didn't get in the way of the young players development as they progress early and often. That's what it's going to take for the Pistons to get it going. I was also thinking maybe throw Joe Harris, contract and a player out there on the market and see vet or two they could get back with a long contract worth investing with as the Pistons are not a hot free agent destination right now.

As for Monty Williams, I recalled during the summer offseason that he wasn't interested in the job. Yet, the GM put more money on top of more money to get him to become the next Pistons coach. I can understand that desperate times call for desperate measures. In this case, I would not have called for Monty Williams to be the Pistons coach due to the current construction of the Pistons roster. If they were playoff ready, then I can see the move. Monty isn't the right coach for the Pistons. They are stuck with him for the time being. Right now, Weaver needs to get his ass in gear and make some good moves to point the Pistons in the right direction towards a better future. What those moves will be is anyone's guess. I can only offer some hope that between now and the offseason that the Pistons future will start to head in the right direction for a change.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#63 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:04 am

psman2 wrote:With Memphis name being in the mix for Grimes what would you guys give up for him? He has decent size for a 2 and can slide to 3 for some mins. His skillset is just a pure 3/D and slots as a likely 20 minute guy when we are fully healthy.

Knicks need some size upfront for the playoffs, ideally at the four. Would you guys give up Tillman/2nds for Grimes. Aldama?

Grimes is a 3&D profile type as you stated. The issue is consistency. Thibs is a creature of habit. He has that reputation of not playing younger guys in his rotations very well. McBride, Flynn(previously with Raptors), Sims, fit the profile. I do believe that with the right team to give him the consistency and minutes to prove himself, he will be reliable. I can see him fitting in with the Grizzlies.

VCfor3 wrote:I wouldn't do Aldama even though he is slumping a bit right now. I'd consider Tillman, but given how much Grimes is being shopped I wonder if you could somehow do Jake and 2nds. That's very likely not enough, but I don't know what Grimes value is right this second.

If Jake has been healthy and playing decent, I would send him and a second or two. Then again, Thibs has his history of not playing young players and prefers vets instead.Perhaps not Tillman due to the Grizzlies missing enough bigs from the roster due to injuries.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#64 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:51 pm

SD2042 wrote:
psman2 wrote:With Memphis name being in the mix for Grimes what would you guys give up for him? He has decent size for a 2 and can slide to 3 for some mins. His skillset is just a pure 3/D and slots as a likely 20 minute guy when we are fully healthy.

Knicks need some size upfront for the playoffs, ideally at the four. Would you guys give up Tillman/2nds for Grimes. Aldama?

Grimes is a 3&D profile type as you stated. The issue is consistency. Thibs is a creature of habit. He has that reputation of not playing younger guys in his rotations very well. McBride, Flynn(previously with Raptors), Sims, fit the profile. I do believe that with the right team to give him the consistency and minutes to prove himself, he will be reliable. I can see him fitting in with the Grizzlies.

VCfor3 wrote:I wouldn't do Aldama even though he is slumping a bit right now. I'd consider Tillman, but given how much Grimes is being shopped I wonder if you could somehow do Jake and 2nds. That's very likely not enough, but I don't know what Grimes value is right this second.

If Jake has been healthy and playing decent, I would send him and a second or two. Then again, Thibs has his history of not playing young players and prefers vets instead.Perhaps not Tillman due to the Grizzlies missing enough bigs from the roster due to injuries.

The reason I'd consider Tillman is because I don't know if we are going to keep him past this season. We are going to be fighting taxes and him and Clarke will be fighting for the same minutes. I don't know if we will want to pay Tillman to keep him around. I could also see Tillman wanting to go to another situation with clear minutes for him. So if we are losing him after the season anyway (which the FO should have somewhat of an idea of), then moving him for Grimes could make some sense.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,834

Post#65 » by psman2 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:06 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

The reason I'd consider Tillman is because I don't know if we are going to keep him past this season. We are going to be fighting taxes and him and Clarke will be fighting for the same minutes. I don't know if we will want to pay Tillman to keep him around. I could also see Tillman wanting to go to another situation with clear minutes for him. So if we are losing him after the season anyway (which the FO should have somewhat of an idea of), then moving him for Grimes could make some sense.

I agree, but think it will cost more than Tillman. I think a Tillman/Konchar/2nds package would make sense. Konchar is likely out of the rotation for the Knicks but would be nice insurance as a 9th man there, and Tillman gives them a solid 15-20 minutes behind Randle and their centers. Vince/Grimes/Smart is our SF rotation next year with Grimes getting most of his PT behind Bane. Likely need to dump LaRavia if he doesn't show something soon so if he could be worked into the deal as filler or small incentive instead of 2nds then that would work too. Cleans up our books and roster spots next year.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#66 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:52 am

psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I agree, but think it will cost more than Tillman. I think a Tillman/Konchar/2nds package would make sense. Konchar is likely out of the rotation for the Knicks but would be nice insurance as a 9th man there, and Tillman gives them a solid 15-20 minutes behind Randle and their centers. Vince/Grimes/Smart is our SF rotation next year with Grimes getting most of his PT behind Bane. Likely need to dump LaRavia if he doesn't show something soon so if he could be worked into the deal as filler or small incentive instead of 2nds then that would work too. Cleans up our books and roster spots next year.

When it comes down to Tillman, I'm with you on the part that he's likely not getting kept beyond this season as a Grizzly. Since Tillman has some decent value, it's possible the Grizzlies could trade him off a player of lesser salary and years and picks if that's the direction they are considering with him.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#67 » by SD2042 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:28 am

This is just an update for all things Memphis Grizzlies trade rumors from now until Thursday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-trade-candidates-memphis-grizzlies-110807294.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Pistons PG Hayes wants out. Grizzlies peak interest.

https://www.mlive.com/pistons/2024/02/pistons-trade-rumors-guard-wants-out-grizzlies-may-have-interest.html

Personally, I won't take this one seriously.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#68 » by esvl » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:53 pm

SD2042 wrote:This is just an update for all things Memphis Grizzlies trade rumors from now until Thursday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/top-trade-candidates-memphis-grizzlies-110807294.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

https://www.mlive.com/pistons/2024/02/pistons-trade-rumors-guard-wants-out-grizzlies-may-have-interest.html

I would trade Rose for Hayes

My main interest remains with Claxton and specially concerns the price FO is willing to pay. Should it involve our 1st 2024 to make the trade happen?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#69 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 2:06 am

esvl wrote:
SD2042 wrote:This is just an update for all things Memphis Grizzlies trade rumors from now until Thursday.

My main interest remains with Claxton and specially concerns the price FO is willing to pay. Should it involve our 1st 2024 to make the trade happen?

With Killian, I just can't get on board with his lack of offensive inconsistency. Sure he assist his teammates. Not sure of how good or bad of a defender he is. As to would Detroit be willing to take on Rose, at this point, I'm not so sure they may consider the idea given DR's history of injuries.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#70 » by esvl » Wed Feb 7, 2024 3:38 am

SD2042 wrote:
esvl wrote:

With Killian, I just can't get on board with his lack of offensive inconsistency. Sure he assist his teammates. Not sure of how good or bad of a defender he is. As to would Detroit be willing to take on Rose, at this point, I'm not so sure they may consider the idea given DR's history of injuries.

DET might want D.Rose’s veteran locker room impact, but I doubt their interest too. As to Hayes, he is still 22 and potentially can be shaped into a cheap backup PG given his good ballhandling skills, some ability to create and pass, decent shooting mechanic and on-ball defence. There is a material for development for sure. FO might be willing to take a flyer.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#71 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 7, 2024 10:24 pm

Latest news of Xavier Tillman being the latest Grizzly to be traded to the Celtics for SF/PF Lamar Stevens and two future second picks.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/woj-boston-celtics-trade-memphis-195914241.html
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#72 » by jefe » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:24 pm

I hope that we have a plan for acquiring a starting C (and back up C) for next year, and I hope it's more than using our own first round pick to draft one.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#73 » by esvl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 2:53 pm

Latest rumours:
1. Roddy, ZW, LaRavia are available (Vince and GG to be blaimed)
2. Konchar to a contender (XT price?)
3. Hayes is almost in Memphis.
psman2
General Manager

Post#74 » by psman2 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:10 pm

Really need to get off Konchar’s money next year to open up the full MLE and still use of our TPE before hitting the 1st apron. This is assuming Kennard is gone. I think the goal right now is see if the return is good enough on Kennard to trade him now, or wait and try to trade him at the draft with out lottery pick. If no trade he is likely released with a small chance we resign him.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#75 » by esvl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:46 pm

psman2 wrote:Really need to get off Konchar’s money next year to open up the full MLE and still use of our TPE before hitting the 1st apron. This is assuming Kennard is gone. I think the goal right now is see if the return is good enough on Kennard to trade him now, or wait and try to trade him at the draft with out lottery pick. If no trade he is likely released with a small chance we resign him.

The question for me is whether would we be able to get a player better than Konchar for MLE…

Would our trade of Rose (with SRP) and Roddy be an alternative option for making MLE available?
psman2
General Manager

Post#76 » by psman2 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:12 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:Really need to get off Konchar’s money next year to open up the full MLE and still use of our TPE before hitting the 1st apron. This is assuming Kennard is gone. I think the goal right now is see if the return is good enough on Kennard to trade him now, or wait and try to trade him at the draft with out lottery pick. If no trade he is likely released with a small chance we resign him.

The question for me is whether would we be able to get a player better than Konchar for MLE…

Would our trade of Rose (with SRP) and Roddy be an alternative option for making MLE available?

I think Rose needs to be dumped no matter what, terrible signing from day one. It just a matter of what we rather have...Konchar or the BAE or ability to use a portion of our big TPE. Getting off Roddy gives us some flexibility but likely not enough to open up those other tools. I think using the full MLE or a SNT for a center is the goal right now and we need breathing room. IH is the most likely target as of right now.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#77 » by esvl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:43 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

I think Rose needs to be dumped no matter what, terrible signing from day one. It just a matter of what we rather have...Konchar or the BAE or ability to use a portion of our big TPE. Getting off Roddy gives us some flexibility but likely not enough to open up those other tools. I think using the full MLE or a SNT for a center is the goal right now and we need breathing room. IH is the most likely target as of right now.

Based on his performance, IH might get something closer to Poeltl than MLE.

I remember you hated Rose from the very beginning. Fairly so it turns out. I hope he will retire.
psman2
General Manager

Post#78 » by psman2 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:46 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:

Based on his performance, IH might get something closer to Poeltl than MLE.

I remember you hated Rose from the very beginning. Fairly so it turns out. I hope he will retire.

That is why we need to clear enough salary to maybe do a SNT and stay under the 1st apron. Not that I want to give IH 20m but I do what the opportunity to at least explore the SNT option.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#79 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:25 pm

I wonder would Milwaukee be interested in Konchar? Perhaps trade him to the Bucks for a couple of salaried players with club options to drop them off plus their 2027 pick?

Or Konchar to the Nuggets for Cancar’s contract and future second round pick? Drop Cancar off.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#80 » by esvl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:36 pm

SD2042 wrote:I wonder would Milwaukee be interested in Konchar? Perhaps trade him to the Bucks for a couple of salaried players with club options to drop them off plus their 2027 pick?

Or Konchar to the Nuggets for Cancar’s contract and future second round pick? Drop Cancar off.

They absolutely should. 2 SRP should be a starting offer.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies