UPDATE: Ja Suspended 25 Games Because of a Second Gun Video

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

UPDATE: Ja Suspended 25 Games Because of a Second Gun Video 

Post#1 » by boogiesdad » Sun May 14, 2023 3:52 pm

What a great talent, but he is more worried about Street Cred, than his career. Honestly, we need to move on from him before it’s too late.

Thoughts on a trade? Has he killed his trade value?

Boogiesdad
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,671

Re: Ja Suspended Because of a Second Gun Video 

Post#2 » by durden_tyler » Sun May 14, 2023 4:07 pm

And that is the end of the Morant era. Teams will lowball Memphis too, so whatever you can get for him with the most value, you take it and *pull the trigger* on any deal.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,980

Post#3 » by VCfor3 » Sun May 14, 2023 4:27 pm

His value is too low right now for a trade unless Doncic asks out and we do some sort of swap. I'm not moving him for a meh package. I'd rather see if the Mikal move happens this offseason and give the team another year together. You need a closer and Ja is that for us. If there are more headaches next season, move him that offseason. I think the only change all this makes is that he is no longer untouchable. We aren't shopping him, we aren't moving him for a discount, but if someone wants to try and make a big offer to steal him away we might listen as long as we feel it helps us contend moving forward.

I wonder how many people truly comprehend how much money Ja is costing himself with these few incidents that have gotten out. He lost $40m already due to this keeping him off All NBA. He was going to be the first Powerade guy in years before the gun videos. His shoe deal is likely in jeopardy at this point. He likely had quite a few other big sponsorships in his future that are now not going to happen. The NBA at one point seemed to be trending towards him being one of the faces of the league with how exciting he is. Now they are going to be trying to somewhat distance themselves. Sucks for the FO who was talking not two weeks ago about how seriously Ja was taking the changes in his life and publicly supporting him for him to then post a video like this. This is very very likely in Tennessee where what he is doing is 100% legal, but unfortunately for Ja he has to live by a different set of rules being an NBA player especially given his recent history.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Sun May 14, 2023 4:59 pm

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/grizzlies-suspend-ja-morant-another-155829495.html

This is another bad hit that Ja has put himself in. As a public figure, he assume all responsibilities to himself and his representation as a member and star of the Memphis Grizzlies. As we all know, players cannot put themselves in predicaments that puts one in harm's way. Ja should have learn from the first time as he was in this exact situation just two months ago. Now Ja's suspended and under investigation until the results and consequences are handed down.

Not to excuse Ja's latest actions, I can't help to wonder if Ja feels like he can still do what he wants and damn the consequences or there's a mental aspect to what is going on in Ja's own mind. Self sabotage? I can't fully understand how he was just suspended for this situation back in March. Now, it's two months later and he's on that same BS again. Suspended and now under investigation. Whatever the results the investigators may find, one thing is certain, Ja will be more open to severe disciplinary actions for this latest episode of "Show My Gun". What will the NBA and the Grizzlies themselves will do depends on what happens from the results of the investigation.

Ja is ruining his reputation as a Memphis Grizzlies and worse to himself as a human in the public eye. He needs to do a deep introspection to decide what type of man he needs to be in this life. What type of friends he needs in this life. What morals he needs to live by. Because this right now, is not the way to start off the offseason. This is how you start f*k**g s**t up for yourself, fam, and team he's reppin right now. Ja needs to get off his ass and get it together.
esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 395

Post#5 » by esvl » Sun May 14, 2023 5:08 pm

They have no legal case against him. He did nothing wrong. I am glad to know that there are still people who are willing to stand up against corporate whores.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Sun May 14, 2023 5:17 pm

esvl wrote:They have no legal case against him. He did nothing wrong. I am glad to know that there are still people who are willing to stand up against corporate whores.

He was likely parked on private property in a state that is so Pro-Gun that representatives have their entire family, including kids, hold guns for their Christmas cards. There is zero legal issues involved in this. The problem is that his contract includes language that states he can be punished for conduct detrimental to the NBA. This whole thing hurts the NBA image and thus he will get punished. Ja partying with his friends, having a gun in the car, even holding a gun isn't an issue until it gets on social media. His friends need to simply stop recording everything. Ja himself already stopped which is literally all he needed to do. He seemed to stop partying the night before games, he stopped posting things that could be viewed negatively, and he complied with everything the NBA and FO asked of him after his last incident. He was golden moving forward as long as he wasn't recorded doing stuff again/kept everything behind closed doors. But his friend who seems to always be involved in these incidents decided to record and now Ja will have to answer for it unfortunately. It sucks but it is what it is.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by esvl » Sun May 14, 2023 6:00 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:They have no legal case against him. He did nothing wrong. I am glad to know that there are still people who are willing to stand up against corporate whores.

He was likely parked on private property in a state that is so Pro-Gun that representatives have their entire family, including kids, hold guns for their Christmas cards. There is zero legal issues involved in this. The problem is that his contract includes language that states he can be punished for conduct detrimental to the NBA. This whole thing hurts the NBA image and thus he will get punished. Ja partying with his friends, having a gun in the car, even holding a gun isn't an issue until it gets on social media. His friends need to simply stop recording everything. Ja himself already stopped which is literally all he needed to do. He seemed to stop partying the night before games, he stopped posting things that could be viewed negatively, and he complied with everything the NBA and FO asked of him after his last incident. He was golden moving forward as long as he wasn't recorded doing stuff again/kept everything behind closed doors. But his friend who seems to always be involved in these incidents decided to record and now Ja will have to answer for it unfortunately. It sucks but it is what it is.

If the NBA decides to have its opinion on a highly political matter and even more to force that opinion on individuals just leveraging their income dependance, it is the problem of the NBA - which let me remind you stands for BASKETBALL in its second letter.

As I said before, it is sad that modern people completely abandon their common sense for individual values. To be a human means to have and defend your own opinions. Otherwise, you are a corporate whore.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,711

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 14, 2023 7:03 pm

^Got some bad news for you, Ja became, as you so eloquently put it, a corporate whore the minute he signed that second, huge multi-million dollar contract.

The NBA isn't a basketball league, it's a multi billion dollar entertainment business. And this kid is going to find himself pushed out of it early because of poor decision-making.

He believes he's special, but he's only got a brief window of time that he's worth the headache and trouble. He can go play basketball anywhere for the love of the game. But if he wants to make millions, he's gotta grow up and act like an adult.

TL;DR: This is a multi-billion dollar business. Time to act like a grown up.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Sun May 14, 2023 7:15 pm

Yeah if Ja feels strongly enough that he should be able to wave guns around in videos that is fine. He just won't be making millions in the NBA while he exercises that right. So again, legally there is nothing wrong with what he did in that video. But if he wants to be a part of the NBA, he must follow the rules he agreed to when he signed the contract. He violated those rules and will be punished. He can't continue with certain actions if he wishes to remain in the league. It is up to Ja to decide if he wishes to follow the rules set by the NBA or if he prefers to not become a "corporate whore" he can find another line of work. I'm sure there are other basketball leagues he can join that will allow him more freedom. They just will pay him significantly less.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by esvl » Sun May 14, 2023 9:12 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:^Got some bad news for you, Ja became, as you so eloquently put it, a corporate whore the minute he signed that second, huge multi-million dollar contract.

The NBA isn't a basketball league, it's a multi billion dollar entertainment business. And this kid is going to find himself pushed out of it early because of poor decision-making.

He believes he's special, but he's only got a brief window of time that he's worth the headache and trouble. He can go play basketball anywhere for the love of the game. But if he wants to make millions, he's gotta grow up and act like an adult.

Ja is special, in case you haven’t noticed. But most importantly, it is amazing how many folks feel normal to leak corporate *** for salary and hate anyone who feels otherwise.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,752

Post#11 » by Invictus88 » Sun May 14, 2023 9:43 pm

esvl wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:^Got some bad news for you, Ja became, as you so eloquently put it, a corporate whore the minute he signed that second, huge multi-million dollar contract.

Ja is special, in case you haven’t noticed. But most importantly, it is amazing how many folks feel normal to leak corporate *** for salary and hate anyone who feels otherwise.

So when someone gives their viewpoint on how the world works and that doesn't jive with your viewpoint on it then you consider them to be hating you?

There's no hate here. There's the opinion of him being stupid; because it's almost a certainty he's going to miss several games, lose endorsements / contracts and otber money because of his actions. But I don't hate the guy. I mean he hasn't done anything to me to cause that.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Sun May 14, 2023 10:10 pm

esvl wrote:Ja is special, in case you haven’t noticed. But most importantly, it is amazing how many folks feel normal to leak corporate *** for salary and hate anyone who feels otherwise.

I don't know what this means. But it's past time for Ja to grow up.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#13 » by durden_tyler » Mon May 15, 2023 3:08 am

This is correct. He’s just dumb and stupid, nothing wrong with that, but still dumb and stupid.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,309

Post#14 » by jman3134 » Mon May 15, 2023 4:34 am

Awful that this happened again. I continue to stand with Ja, but this behavior needs to be corrected. I don't think this is the end of him with our franchise. Just a tough time to be a Grizzlies supporter, getting kicked when you are already down.
durden_tyler
RealGM

Post#15 » by durden_tyler » Mon May 15, 2023 5:09 am

jman3134 wrote:Awful that this happened again. I continue to stand with Ja, but this behavior needs to be corrected. I don't think this is the end of him with our franchise. Just a tough time to be a Grizzlies supporter, getting kicked when you are already down.

Stand with him? Thank goodness you're not the GM of this team or i can only hope. He needs to be shipped ASAP.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,309

Post#16 » by jman3134 » Mon May 15, 2023 5:41 am

durden_tyler wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Awful that this happened again. I continue to stand with Ja, but this behavior needs to be corrected. I don't think this is the end of him with our franchise. Just a tough time to be a Grizzlies supporter, getting kicked when you are already down.

Stand with him? Thank goodness you're not the GM of this team or i can only hope. He needs to be shipped ASAP.

Am I condoning his actions? Of course not. He is our star player moving forward into the foreseeable future. I am trying to remain positive until the extent of the suspension is known. What are you trading a suspended player for?

No sense in making it personal if you disagree.

If we trade Ja Morant, we should completely rebuild. I wouldn't want to do that if this can be fixed.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#17 » by Jamaaliver » Mon May 15, 2023 12:45 pm

I know it feels like you guys will never love again; that there are no other All Star PGs in this league that could fill the hole left behind by Ja Morant.

But, I promise, there are other good basketball players in this league. And more than a few would love to lead a talented young team on a deep playoff run...
jefe
General Manager
And1: 648

Post#18 » by jefe » Mon May 15, 2023 1:07 pm

... just a whole new level of idiocy.

Regarding a trade, I think it's on the table going forward - at least inasmuch as Ja shouldn't be viewed as "untouchable" going forward. If we were to move him, I'd look for a first option wing in return and simply keep Tyus as the starter. Tyus, Bane, [First Option Wing], JJJ, and Adams isn't bad IMO.
esvl
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by esvl » Mon May 15, 2023 1:11 pm

durden_tyler wrote:

This is correct. He’s just dumb and stupid, nothing wrong with that, but still dumb and stupid.

Nothing wrong about being dumb and stupid. No worries man.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#20 » by tiderulz » Mon May 15, 2023 6:42 pm

he needs some type of mentor. get Antoine Walker in here, someone who blew his millions and is trying to rebuild himself. but his string of incidents seems to be escalating.

-backyard pickup game, threatens a 17 yr old with gun and him and his boys beat up the kid
-brings 8-9 of his boys to threaten 22 yr old shoe store worker when his mom called him. banging on store door and saying he was waiting until he got off of work
-his boys threatened to beat a student at his sisters high school volleyball game, and broke said students phone.
-Ja confronts Indiana Pacers. later, an SUV with Ja in it drives by Pacers as they are loading on bus and has red laser (purportedly a laser sight from a gun) shine on multiple players. A Pacers security guard in the loading area at the time remarked: “That’s 100 percent a gun.”

it could get to a point where someone rolls up to him and his group armed themselves and something really bad happens. I hope it doesnt and I hope he realizes all that he could lose and gets his head in the right place.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies