ImageImage

When's a good time to sack Coach Jenkins?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

RingoKid
Junior
And1: 47

Re: When's a good time to sack Coach Jenkins? 

Post#21 » by RingoKid » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:36 pm

Jenkins success over the last 2 seasons was directly attributable to Steven Adams success. No Adams exposes Jenkins as the classic emperor with no clothes.

Trip can't quarterback a defense without the Funaki. Bane misses the ease of assists and spacing Adams provided. Even getting Ja back soon won't move the needle as much as having the Funaki back at full strength.

Without Adams this team has no soul or identity and without Dillon it lacks heart and swagger. Jenkins simply cannot define an identity or inspire swag let alone outscheme opposing coaches and make adjustments on the fly when he's getting schemed.

He's wasted 2 years pretending he knows what he's doing and has a plan for post season success when the truth is blindingly obvious, he doesn't.

Giving him another shot this year is time better spent getting a new coach bedded in with a clear focus on maximizing Ja's prime and developing a new identity.

Stick a fork in this year, it's done. Move on from Jenkins and start thinking about next season with a healthy Adams.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#22 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:58 am

RingoKid wrote:Jenkins success over the last 2 seasons was directly attributable to Steven Adams success. No Adams exposes Jenkins as the classic emperor with no clothes.

Trip can't quarterback a defense without the Funaki. Bane misses the ease of assists and spacing Adams provided. Even getting Ja back soon won't move the needle as much as having the Funaki back at full strength.

Without Adams this team has no soul or identity and without Dillon it lacks heart and swagger. Jenkins simply cannot define an identity or inspire swag let alone outscheme opposing coaches and make adjustments on the fly when he's getting schemed.

He's wasted 2 years pretending he knows what he's doing and has a plan for post season success when the truth is blindingly obvious, he doesn't.

Giving him another shot this year is time better spent getting a new coach bedded in with a clear focus on maximizing Ja's prime and developing a new identity.

Stick a fork in this year, it's done. Move on from Jenkins and start thinking about next season with a healthy Adams.

Adams seemed to be playing his best ball with us. What do you think the chances are that Jenkins helped unlock a portion of that? We've had a few vets come through that really elevated their game under Jenkins. To some degree he likely had a role in that. Doesn't help with his in-game decision making, rotations, defensive scheming, or game planning in general, but he has had a positive impact in other areas. The hope was that he'd get assistant coaches who could cover his weaknesses, but that hasn't happened much.

If we had been fully healthy I still think we could have seriously competed for a championship the last few years. Unfortunately though we had injuries pop up and the way our team was built we didn't have enough redundancy to replace anyone we lost well enough to still win at the highest level. That's more on the FO than coaching. Like our team was pretty much toast as soon as Adams wasn't fully healthy. I know he isn't easy to replace, but we had no other big bodied center on the team. At least for now we have Biz, but there are too many other holes and Jenkins doesn't seem to have many answers this season to help us adjust to the challenges.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#23 » by RingoKid » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:16 am

Adams was responsible for Russ getting the triple double record. And had that OKC defense humming in KD's last season before he slithered off to Golden State.

Jenkins didn't unlock anything. Adams unlocked Jenkins potential only for Jenkins to get high on his own kool-aid.

Even fully healthy Jenkins couldn't have made the post season adjustments necessary for a ring. Other coaches easily get him to play their game rather than Jenkins getting others to play his.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#24 » by RingoKid » Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:35 am

No one even listens to Jenkins in the huddle when he's drawing on his little board anymore.

Really should have kept Brooks, sacked Jenkins and hired Udoka.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#25 » by RingoKid » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:05 am

12 games of .500, 7 games behind the 10 seed play-in spot. But dont worry...

Ja is coming back to do the same stuff he did before, only with a worse team and the same guy who couldn't coach a decent playoff win over the last 2 seasons.

We're good...lol
RingoKid
Junior

Post#26 » by RingoKid » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:57 am

Need to go on a 13 game win streak to break 500.

How we gonna do that with a crap team, heaps of injuries, no chemistry and a useless coach ?

In Ja we trust...lol
RingoKid
Junior

Post#27 » by RingoKid » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:44 am

Seems the Ja vibe has gone back to covering up Jenkins sub par coaching.

Still, winning is winning but the proof of the pudding is always in the post season tasting.

I still got that bitter taste from Coach J's playoff sauce. Need some of that sweet sweet finals juice to get rid of it!
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#28 » by jefe » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:26 pm

RingoKid wrote:Seems the Ja vibe has gone back to covering up Jenkins sub par coaching.

Still, winning is winning but the proof of the pudding is always in the post season tasting.

I still got that bitter taste from Coach J's playoff sauce. Need some of that sweet sweet finals juice to get rid of it!

Does that mean you'll stop posting until April about wanting Jenkins fired?
RingoKid
Junior

Post#29 » by RingoKid » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:25 pm

jefe wrote:Does that mean you'll stop posting until April about wanting Jenkins fired?

I think ill maintain as much consistency through the regular season as Jenkins has in the post season.

Jenkins reminds me of Scooter Brooks when he had KD and Russ in OKC and despite getting close eventually KD bailed on him. Durant could just as easily have requested a new coach but instead slithered his way into 2 rings off Stephs GOATNESS and Kerrs savvy.

I honestly believe what Kerr did in taking over from Jackson is what could happen in Memphis and will next year cos the alternative is Ja bailing.

Jenkins is only coach cos Ja wants him to be. Maybe Ja is choosing the path of least resistance as Jenkins gives him a freehand to do whatever, whenever, wherever on court or off.

Talent and swag will only get you so far. Elite coaching will get you the rest. Jenkins is not elite and has proven so over the last 2 post seasons.

I'd like to see Ty Lue work with Ja and Des.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#30 » by RingoKid » Tue Jan 2, 2024 4:20 am

New year, same coach...

Was hoping it wouldn't be, but there's still time to eliminate all doubt as to his ineptness.

The sooner we move on from Jenkins, the better Grizz will be.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#31 » by RingoKid » Thu Jan 4, 2024 3:33 am

RingoKid wrote: there's still only 12 wins and 22 losses...

Who's Coach J gonna throw under the bus or make excuses for ?

I wrote that Oct 29 last year and we're sitting at 11 wins and 23 losses...

Are we there yet ?
RingoKid
Junior

Post#32 » by RingoKid » Thu Jan 4, 2024 10:19 pm

Coach Taylor Jenkins blames himself for Grizzlies loss to Raptors...
"I gotta get this team better prepared. We were flat tonight. [This loss is] on me."

https://youtu.be/n652bz0PB98

Sounds like he's lost the locker room and run out of excuses.

Show him the door!
RingoKid
Junior

Post#33 » by RingoKid » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:33 pm

The Bucks just fired their coach despite being 2nd in the East behind Boston.

We're languishing at the bottom and have had no post season success in that last 2 seasons despite being the 2 seed.

We've scraped out 1 playoff series win against a feisty T wolves that saw Adams get benched and the stars get injured with Jenkins being comprehensively outcoached vs the dubs after that and relying on a Covid sick Adams to bail him out.

Next season we get bounced by a surging Lakers team in the first round. And with no Adams to scapegoat. Jenkins throws dan favourite and heart of the team Dillon Brooks under the bus.

With a depleted roster and a star player being suspended because Jenkins couldnt keep him in check we are now tanking. And all the while Jenkins gets a free pass.

His plan for next year ? Rinse the aging Steven Adams - a player he never trusted - and hope to recreate the vibe he squandered over the last 2 seasons.

Memphis is mired in mediocrity and bluster because thats who Taylor Jenkins is. A mediocre coach full of sound and fury signyfying nothing.

A blustery windbag who hasn't achieved anything in the league and i believe wont.

Grizz deserve better!!!
RingoKid
Junior

Post#34 » by RingoKid » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:05 am

Watching the Thunder stick it to Memphis reminded me of the 70pt beat down from a few years ago.

My how times have changed.

One thing that hasn't is the useless bucket of pooh still coaching Memphis.

Even with Morant, Smart, Bane, Trip and a bunch of roster filler Grizz aint getting anywhere near the No2 seed again.

Jenkins really is that bad and Kleiman doesn't know what he's doing, unlike Presti and Daigneault.

Keep the faith but one day you'll come round and see Jenkins for what he is. An average regular season coach and an incompetent playoff one.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#35 » by RingoKid » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:58 am

Congratulations to Coach Jenkins for another fine year of elite coaching.

He had the best iteration of a Grizz team that Morant, Bane and Jackson jr will EVER have surrounding them and failed to do anything with them in the post season for 2 years running.

No, i stand corrected, he managed to overwork them to the point of injury and allow a sense of entitlement to fester in the locker room leading to Morant's suspension.

This year he surpassed even his own sublime standards to tank the team out of even play in contention without even trying - though to be fair, there were a injuries...boohoo.

The man is a coaching savant, master motivator and caring mentor.

Long may he continue in Memphis as it makes every other western contenders jobs that much easier.

Grizz will never get even a sniff off a championship with the useless muppet of a head coach still in charge over the coming years.

I'm so glad Steven Adams doesn't have to suffer the fool that is Coach Jenkins anymore.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 173

Post#36 » by QMemphis » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:15 pm

LOL dude give it a rest. I'm not the biggest Jenkins fan but he has done a great job since Ja went down. We will be ready next year.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#37 » by RingoKid » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:54 pm

QMemphis wrote:LOL dude give it a rest. I'm not the biggest Jenkins fan but he has done a great job since Ja went down. We will be ready next year.

Tell me more about this great job he did ? It doesnt take a genius to tank!

Morant isn't going to make a difference next year. He's brittle without an Adams like bruiser to set screens and run interference for him.

Trip ain't that guy!

Return to Memphis Grizzlies