ImageImage

When's a good time to sack Coach Jenkins?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

RingoKid
Junior
And1: 47

When's a good time to sack Coach Jenkins? 

Post#1 » by RingoKid » Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:30 am

After a bad start to the season ?
Mid season if things don't pick up ?
End of season if they finish worse then last season ?

He's been the Grizz post season weak link for 2 years now and run out of excuses for why they've had no real success.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: When's a good time to sack Coach Jenkins? 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:43 am

It definitely won't be anytime soon.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3 » by RingoKid » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:09 am

Let's say after 12 games - halfway til Ja gets back - the team is sitting at 2 and 10, then when Ja gets back it's 4 and 20 and after 10 games with Ja not getting superstar calls and Coach J losing the locker room there's still only 12 wins and 22 losses...

Who's Coach J gonna throw under the bus or make excuses for ?

Jenkins is not a post season Coach and the culture that allowed Ja and Dillon to foster can be laid at his feet.

He should have been ditched after last season cos that window of opportunity for a ring has firmly shut on his aspirations for a ring this year.

Please bear in mind that's just my opinion, not gospel and the hope is to challenge anyone's pre conceptions of what the ceiling for this team is under Coach J this season.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#4 » by jefe » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:57 am

Coming into this season, I felt as if it was a make or break year for him with results in the playoffs to be the determinative factor. However, we are currently missing 1/3 of the roster including the starting PG, the starting C, and three critical rotation players. I don't think it's fair to judge him on these results as I don't think any coach could make a material difference under these circumstances.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#5 » by RingoKid » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:59 pm

Yeah fair enough.

It's just after finishing as the No2 seed for the last 2 seasons and getting bounced early both times there needs to be an improvement on that this year.

So what's reasonable to expect...Conference finals or he hits the road ?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:37 am

We are down 5 of our top 8 guys. Jenkins isn't to blame for that. As some of those guys get healthy, Jenkins will start to get judged again. There is a scenario where everything totally falls apart and we let him go late in the season, but I think even if things go poorly that won't happen. First real chance would be after our season ends and it will take a lot to make that happen. More likely he goes into next season on the hot seat. What better coach are you hiring if the team has fallen apart and the Ja drama is still lingering over everyone's heads? The team will want to be well past the Ja stuff before getting too crazy with changes.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#7 » by RingoKid » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:03 am

I don't know that the team will ever be well past the Ja stuff. I don't know that Ja will even get past the Ja stuff. Wait and see I suppose...

The thing is, Coach J couldn't reel Ja in nor Dillon last year. He benched Adams in the playoffs the year before and Triple J ain't that guy without him.

The immaculate vibe is long gone. It's open season on Grizzlies and Jenkins is well and truly in the firing line.

I don't know who'd be a better coach but there are definitely better ones out there who could have done more with the No2 seeded team in the west for the last 2 years.

Even Coach Darko would have been better and his loss is keenly felt. Jenkins was always leaning on him for advice.

I'm a Steven Adams fan first. Supported OKC when he was there. NOLA when he was there and Memphis since but without him and after Coach lost confidence a couple seasons back I just can't find the energy to support a Grizz team without the Funaki, Ja, Tyus, Dillon while Jenkins still bumbles his way through.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#8 » by RingoKid » Thu Nov 2, 2023 2:59 am

This bumbling fool of a coach has no ideas and its fairly obvious the team doesn't want to play for him!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:25 pm

Things look bleak right now. But the question teams have to ask this early in the season:

Is there another coaching candidate available to turn to?

Would Stotts or Budenholzer consider coming in midseason?
Is there an obvious option on the bench?
Is this team lost until Ja returns?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,500

Post#10 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 2, 2023 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter
RingoKid
Junior

Post#11 » by RingoKid » Fri Nov 3, 2023 4:20 am

So now Coach J is calling for the team to take accountability while throwing them under the bus and taking no personal responsibility for the 5 loss start.

He really is past his use by date!
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#12 » by jefe » Fri Nov 3, 2023 11:59 am

RingoKid wrote:So now Coach J is calling for the team to take accountability while throwing them under the bus and taking no personal responsibility for the 5 loss start.

He really is past his use by date!

If the front office fires Jenkins after an 0-5 start with 1/3 of the roster missing, who is going to take the job? What kind of faith can that individual have that the front office won't fire him on a whim for circumstances beyond his control? You fire Jenkins now and your pool of interested candidates is significantly smaller IMO.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#13 » by RingoKid » Fri Nov 3, 2023 7:58 pm

It's more than just the 0-5 start. It's the culture he developed that allowed Ja and Dillon to go rogue, it's the failure to perform in the playoffs the last 2 seasons, its coach Darko moving on.

The start is indicative of his limitations and the teams decline over the last few years.

Memphis is an nba team with great potential, I doubt there'd be a shortage of coaches lining up for the head job.

The power lies with Ja. If he doesn't want Jenkins, Jenkins is a goneburger!
RingoKid
Junior

Post#14 » by RingoKid » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:34 am

Jenkins looks around for someone to blame and finds no one but himself.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#15 » by RingoKid » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:04 pm

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/taylor-jenkins-called-refs-fckin-atrocious-grizzlies-loss-jazz/

I dunno, but maybe that's not the best way to endear yourself to the refs and get a good rub of their balls ?

Do better coach! Wayyyyy better!!!

Like maybe stick up for the team in game and get yourself tossed instead ?
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#16 » by esvl » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:42 am

RingoKid wrote:https://uproxx.com/dimemag/taylor-jenkins-called-refs-fckin-atrocious-grizzlies-loss-jazz/

I dunno, but maybe that's not the best way to endear yourself to the refs and get a good rub of their balls ?

Do better coach! Wayyyyy better!!!

Like maybe stick up for the team in game and get yourself tossed instead ?

Man you are tireless. Leave Jenkins alone - he is not a problem.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#17 » by RingoKid » Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:24 am

Haha...Win 7 straight and I'll let up.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#18 » by RingoKid » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:11 am

Are we there yet ?
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#19 » by esvl » Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:13 pm

We got rid off Melton, Kyle, Tyus, DB, Ja (almost)… let’s make another stupid move sure…
RingoKid
Junior

Post#20 » by RingoKid » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:42 pm

Don't you see we should have got rid of Jenkins instead and kept those other guys.

The stupid move is to keep a Coach no one wants to play for.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies