Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Ja out for the season 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 3:14 am

This sucks. Embrace the tank even though it is a bad draft. Will be interesting if we turn into sellers and move a couple guys. Looking at Luke and maybe Konchar if someone offers up enough value for them.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 5:15 am

This blows! Was looking forward to the fight back into the playoff race. At this point, that's no longer the case. Like yourself, if I'm the GM, I would look into deals to improve the bench so the team can establish some chemistry this season and be prepared to do better for what looks like to be a washed season unfortunately.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,240

Post#4 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Jan 9, 2024 5:25 am

Either embrace the tank, or put that juicy first round pick up for a stud player who can fit the Ja/Bane timeline, if you really hate the draft.
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 53

Post#5 » by RingoKid » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:05 am

Sux for ja but he was only ever gonna cover for Jenkins poor coaching.

As good a time as any to sack Jenkins and tank, or trade for de rozan and drummond and go for broke.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#6 » by jefe » Tue Jan 9, 2024 1:05 pm

It's probably a blessing in disguise. As much as I was pulling for us to make a run to the play-in, the odds looked slim as we would need to leapfrog the Jazz and likely two of the Lakers, Suns, and Warriors, all of whom are veteran-laded teams that have already traded their draft picks for this year IIRC. Time to let Bane and JJJ continue to get first option reps (and rest on back-to-backs) and see if any of Ziare, Roddy, or Laravia are worth keeping around. Santi and Vince already seem like keepers.

Also, this pretty much assures that Jenkins will be the head coach to start the 24-25 year.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 386

Post#7 » by esvl » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:28 pm

I agree with all the above, except of course the guy on pain killers. Let’s spend the season time left on internal development. I believe there will be a decent pg or c available in the range of 5-12.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 386

Post#8 » by esvl » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:01 pm

Speaking of the draft, it is weak, but there are at least four very juicy options for Rose’ replacement: Collier, Dillingham, Topic, and Carrington.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#9 » by RingoKid » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:08 pm

jefe wrote:Also, this pretty much assures that Jenkins will be the head coach to start the 24-25 year.

Why ?

We all know Jenkins can coach to lose. He's done it 2years running in the playoffs. It'll be so easy for him to command the tank to the bottom. He's only 3 spots from it already.

The whole thing reeks of faking a Ja injury and putting him on ice to waive off the whole season rather than risking his long term health given the herculean task ja would have had to pull off to make the play ins only to get bounced.

I hope Adams requests a trade to get away from Jenkins who will be relying on the Ja/Adams combo to make him look like COTY material again.

Sack him now and get a guy in who will make a positive difference to team chemistry and identity.

Jenkins aint that guy.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#10 » by RingoKid » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:21 pm

esvl wrote:Let’s spend the season time left on internal development.

Jenkins and player development shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Any development has come from internal personal desire of the individual athlete.

Marcus Smart ain't gonna want to be in a tanking squad touting personal development with a crappy coach.

Trip and Bane are as developed as they're gonna be. Zaire, Jitty and X are who they are, limited role players. Rose and Biz are journeymen vets.

Roddy, LaRavia are so meh as to develop into what ? How do they fit on a contending team except to ride pine and play scrimmage.

VWjr has potential as a trade asset.

Kleiman and Jenkins couldnt develop a Polaroid picture let alone a balanced championship squad together.

Time for a reboot. Start with the coach.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#11 » by jefe » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:58 pm

RingoKid wrote:
jefe wrote:Also, this pretty much assures that Jenkins will be the head coach to start the 24-25 year.

Why ?

We all know Jenkins can coach to lose. He's done it 2years running in the playoffs. It'll be so easy for him to command the tank to the bottom. He's only 3 spots from it already.

The whole thing reeks of faking a Ja injury and putting him on ice to waive off the whole season rather than risking his long term health given the herculean task ja would have had to pull off to make the play ins only to get bounced.

I hope Adams requests a trade to get away from Jenkins who will be relying on the Ja/Adams combo to make him look like COTY material again.

Sack him now and get a guy in who will make a positive difference to team chemistry and identity.

Jenkins aint that guy.

We've gone round and round about this, and neither one of us is going to change the other's mind. Bleating out that you want Jenkins fired seems to be the only Grizz-adjacent topic in which you are interested, and you're the only one that's posted in that thread for months. I'm not particularly interested in engaging any further with you on this point, and the lack of response in the other thread would indicate that I am not alone in that sentiment.

In any event, you asked "why?", so here's why IMO:

1) It appears Jenkins still has the support of the front office and the players - the players (Bane and JJJ, in particular) have gone out of their way multiple times now to praise him in post-game comments after wins and to take blame away from him after losses.

2) From a broader perspective, I think it would be an incredibly bad look to potential future coach candidates if you fire a guy for losing ~2/3 of his games when he is missing the front half of his roster for virtually the whole year now. What quality potential coach is going to look at that and say "yeah, I want to work for a front office with those expectations" ?

3) From a simple economic perspective, why would ownership want to eat Jenkins's salary on a lost season only to pay another guy more money to coach a team for the remainder of a lost season?

I know that you won't agree with any of my sentiments above, and you can rest assured that, whatever your inevitable response will be, it likely will not change my mind on this issue. Respond if you feel compelled, but realize you'll likely draw as many tumbleweeds as you have in the other thread on sacking Jenkins.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#12 » by RingoKid » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:03 pm

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but the tumbleweeds blow through this whole site not just that thread.

In response...

1) Appearances are deceptive. No player is going to criticize their coach in public but will rather do as they do. Deflect, distract and defer to the comms team.

2) You're worried about 'a bad look' and blaming injuries. I'm concerned with lack of post season success even when fully healthy and with tooled up past rosters. Jenkins playoff record does not pass the eye test and there's no forseeable reason why that will change any time soon.
You're right about no one wanting to play for this clown coach and front office, so id say sack Kleiman as well and start afresh.

3) From an economic perspective. Results put bums on seats and eyes on the product. Jenkins and Kleiman havent delivered and the eyes on the product are because Ja is an off court disaster neither management or coach can reel in. Perhaps new management and coach can.

Nxt Gen Grz is over. Time to find a new coach and management who can instil a new identity and brand that doesnt revolve around Ja's off court antics and lacklustre post season results.

If you're more than happy to maintain the status quo and make excuses for Jenkins based on injury while the team has been mired in playoff mediocrity then you do you.

Embrace the tank or wherever the hell Grizz are gonna do but don't expect anything different from doing the same things, running the same plays and taking on the same types of personell to build a contender that never truly contended because of bad coaching and roster construction.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies