Bomb!

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Ja is recruiting Claxton! 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:48 am

Claxton may be the best center that is a realistic option for us.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#3 » by esvl » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:11 am

VCfor3 wrote:Claxton may be the best center that is a realistic option for us.

Would you give up #7 for him to make sign-and-trade happen?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:24 am

esvl wrote:

Depends on who it was we drafted at #7 since the draft would happen prior to us being able to negotiate a sign and trade as well as what salary Claxton is getting. If he is too expensive it could be a problem for us both for overall salary moving forward and for salary matching in the trade. I also would be tempted to try and trade #7+2nds for OKC's two picks and then use the higher one for Claxton and the lower one ourselves.

Ziaire, LaRavia, and Konchar will be $15.65m. Rose is $3.35m. If you could get Claxton for about $20m per year that would work out and be a salary you could potentially work with moving forward. If he wants $25-30m I pass.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by esvl » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:06 am

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:

Depends on who it was we drafted at #7 since the draft would happen prior to us being able to negotiate a sign and trade as well as what salary Claxton is getting. If he is too expensive it could be a problem for us both for overall salary moving forward and for salary matching in the trade. I also would be tempted to try and trade #7+2nds for OKC's two picks and then use the higher one for Claxton and the lower one ourselves.

Ziaire, LaRavia, and Konchar will be $15.65m. Rose is $3.35m. If you could get Claxton for about $20m per year that would work out and be a salary you could potentially work with moving forward. If he wants $25-30m I pass.

In my view, he can get 25m easily and we should pay without any hesitation. He would make us so much better. I like you idea to trade down (OKC, NOP, or ATL) and send one FRP to the Nets. Alternatively, can it be Aldama? Also, you forget Kennard for salary matching purposes.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:13 pm

esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:

In my view, he can get 25m easily and we should pay without any hesitation. He would make us so much better. I like you idea to trade down (OKC, NOP, or ATL) and send one FRP to the Nets. Alternatively, can it be Aldama? Also, you forget Kennard for salary matching purposes.

I'm trying to not trade Kennard if possible. His shooting gravity was huge for us last playoffs. Given our poor overall shooting, I want to keep one of the best shooters in the league if possible.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by esvl » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Depends on who it was we drafted at #7 since the draft would happen prior to us being able to negotiate a sign and trade as well as what salary Claxton is getting. If he is too expensive it could be a problem for us both for overall salary moving forward and for salary matching in the trade. I also would be tempted to try and trade #7+2nds for OKC's two picks and then use the higher one for Claxton and the lower one ourselves.

I'm trying to not trade Kennard if possible. His shooting gravity was huge for us last playoffs. Given our poor overall shooting, I want to keep one of the best shooters in the league if possible.

Oh,I feel differently on this. Kennard does not make great shots against good on-ball defenders, which is typical the PO thing. And he is still a defensive liability, so I consider him at least 9th option behind Clarke, Aldama, Vince and GG (last three are good 3pt shooters), so I wouldn’t think a second when the center like Claxton is on the table.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by esvl » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:11 pm

One possible option could be for us to get RWIII first for TPE (+ asset) and then send him (+ fillers, assets) to the Nets for Claxton
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,835

Post#9 » by psman2 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:46 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Depends on who it was we drafted at #7 since the draft would happen prior to us being able to negotiate a sign and trade as well as what salary Claxton is getting. If he is too expensive it could be a problem for us both for overall salary moving forward and for salary matching in the trade. I also would be tempted to try and trade #7+2nds for OKC's two picks and then use the higher one for Claxton and the lower one ourselves.

Kennard is almost assured to be gone if we are bringing in Claxton due to having to stay below the 1st apron to do a SNT. Unless we are ready to move on from Smart in the deal. Right now we are sitting at around 181.4m with Kennard and the 6th pick salary hold. If we want to do a SNT we must stay below the 1st apron of 178.7m the whole season.

So to keep Kennard and assuming a 23m starting salary(I think Clax could get a 4/100 rather easily this offseason). We would have to send out either Smart and another 7-10 million in contracts. Or like five guys: Clarke, Konchar, Zaire, Rose, Aldama which is around 32 million...which would leave us enough to sign the min guys to fill out the roster. Some of those guys would need to be spun off to other teams for money matching. And the Nets really don't want Clarke since the that big 2025 FA plans, and he is likely going to cost us assets to move off of him too.

Even with using Kennard as matching it is going to be tight and likely required us dumping some extra 4-5 million more than Claxton's salary in the trade to make the numbers work. So something like Kennard/Zaire/Konchar/Rose/2025 1st (8/4/up) and some future 2nds to get Claxton here. That leaves us only the vet min to add any one else to the roster and stay below the apron.

And using picks in the 2024 draft as incentive here is very unlikely, has only happen a handful of time in the history of SNTs. Much more likely to cost us future picks and a guy like Aldama who still holds a little value.
psman2
General Manager

Post#10 » by psman2 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 pm

esvl wrote:One possible option could be for us to get RWIII first for TPE (+ asset) and then send him (+ fillers, assets) to the Nets for Claxton

We would have to wait 2 months to aggregate his salary and still stay below the 1st apron after the trade, and to use the TPE we would have to cut Kennard 1st since you are hard capped if you use a TPE. Not a very likely scenario, much cleaner to just use Kennard.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by esvl » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:19 pm

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:One possible option could be for us to get RWIII first for TPE (+ asset) and then send him (+ fillers, assets) to the Nets for Claxton

We would have to wait 2 months to aggregate his salary and still stay below the 1st apron after the trade, and to use the TPE we would have to cut Kennard 1st since you are hard capped if you use a TPE. Not a very likely scenario, much cleaner to just use Kennard.

Thanks. The chance of Claxton landing at Memphis looks now very remote to me. Though if he really wants to be here, it is doable from what I understand.
psman2
General Manager

Post#12 » by psman2 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:42 pm

esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Thanks. The chance of Claxton landing at Memphis looks now very remote to me. Though if he really wants to be here, it is doable from what I understand.

If Clarke was back to neutral contract it would be a lot easier. I just don't know if we can stomach clearing all the salary required and the incentive to do so. Or if he comes in closer to 20m it would be more feasible.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by esvl » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:43 am

psman2 wrote:
esvl wrote:
psman2 wrote:

If Clarke was back to neutral contract it would be a lot easier. I just don't know if we can stomach clearing all the salary required and the incentive to do so. Or if he comes in closer to 20m it would be more feasible.

1. We arguably have a decent roster for the next year, so I wouldn’t care much about signing veterans, to be honest. We need to sign Stevens - that is probably it.

2. In the case of RWIII, why should we wait for 2 months to trade him for Claxton?

3. Agreed, we need to wait for Clarke’s recovery. If all is good, he should have positive trade value, I think.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 175

Post#14 » by QMemphis » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:52 am

VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:

I’m still aiming for the dream of both Bridges and Claxton. Send them everything not named Ja/Des/JJJ/Vince. Sign Clax to 4/80 with player incentives and player option the 4th year allowing him one more big payday at 28. The lineup of Ja/Des/Bridges/JJJ/Clax will win at least one title.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#15 » by JKiddy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:53 pm

QMemphis wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
esvl wrote:

I’m still aiming for the dream of both Bridges and Claxton. Send them everything not named Ja/Des/JJJ/Vince. Sign Clax to 4/80 with player incentives and player option the 4th year allowing him one more big payday at 28. The lineup of Ja/Des/Bridges/JJJ/Clax will win at least one title.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 175

Post#16 » by QMemphis » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:43 am

JKiddy wrote:
QMemphis wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't hate on my dream bruh lol
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#17 » by JKiddy » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:09 pm

Do not get your hopes high. That would be horrible to do to your fanbase/friends. It is not happening.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies