Coming to town for a game

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,567

Coming to town for a game 

Post#1 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:55 pm

Hey folks... I'm on a tour of NBA arenas, and this weekend Memphis becomes #20. I'll have some spare time while there, and I'm staying near the arena. Recommendations on what to do with my spare time? Definitely interested in pointers to good barbecue and cocktails, but also interested in anything else I might want to check out.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Coming to town for a game 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:17 pm

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Hey folks... I'm on a tour of NBA arenas, and this weekend Memphis becomes #20. I'll have some spare time while there, and I'm staying near the arena. Recommendations on what to do with my spare time? Definitely interested in pointers to good barbecue and cocktails, but also interested in anything else I might want to check out.

Central BBQ is my personal favorite BBQ place though there are plenty of really good spots. I've never been, but the Grind City Music Festival is apparently going on this weekend too if any of the bands interest you. Railgarten has a big open outdoor area if the weather is nice. Wiseacre Brewing Company is a brewery with an indoor area. Beale Street after the game is an option as well. Others may have better suggestions. I've been away from Memphis the past few years due to med school and residency but hope to move back in about a year.

https://www.grindcityfest.com/
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Re: Coming to town for a game 

Post#3 » by jefe » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:34 pm

I'll second Central BBQ. While other spots do specific dishes better, I think Central BBQ is the best across the board. If you're staying downtown, the location by the National Civil Rights Museum is easy to access. If you have time (there's alot to cover) and want something heavier/somber to do, then the National Civil Rights Museum is an excellent option. As for other food options, Gus's gets alot of national attention and the location downtown is the original (well, apart, from the original, original in Mason, TN).

Overall, you have a lot of options, but I guess it depends on what you're looking for / interested in and whether you're looking to stay downtown or venture east into the city.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies