Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Trade pending approval 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:19 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... team_deal/

Basically a three way deal between the Magic, Rox, and Grizzlies is pending approval. The Magic get Alston, Kyle Lowry goes to the Rox and the Grizz get a future 1st from the Magic.

"Front office sources have told ESPN that Houston would receive Memphis guard Kyle Lowry, Orlando forward Brian Cook and perhaps two other minimum-salaried players."
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Re: Trade pending approval 

Post#2 » by Downtown » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Patrick Mills, Eric Maynor, Darren Collison, Johnny Flynn. One or more of those players could be there when the Grizzlies select with the Magic pick. Conley has been producing under Lionel Hollins with starters minutes thereby making Lowry expendable.

The backup to Conley will be making less than Lowry. Plus once again Memphis saves themselves a little more money both this season and next.

Their GM has done pretty much what we expected. They played the young guys, evaluated, and have made a move they figure is the right one setting themselves up for next season. Conley is proving he can be the pointguard for the future and now should have the confidence of not having to look over his shoulder at Lowry, they will add a power forward in the draft, select Conley's backup as well, and fill in a couple of holes by way of average salaried free agents, and once again be under the salary cap. At least that's my prediction.

It would have been nice to have seen them actually try to improve the team this season instead of clinging for dear life onto the bottom line, but I suppose they weren't going to make the playoffs anyways, and with attendance being so poor they figured this was the fiscally prudent route.

You have to wonder though what would have happened if Iavoroni was still the coach. Would Conley have had the same opportunity to show he's the real deal? I think Michael Heisley and the GM should thank Hollins for at least giving them a real good look at Conley in the situation as the clear #1 pointguard.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#3 » by dark-child » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:04 pm

My only concern with this deal is how Rudy Gay is going to react to his little buddy leaving town before the deadline and what looks like Hak leaving during the summer?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:11 pm

I wouldn't be too surprised if Hak does leave the Grizz. The Grizz have been fickle with Hak when it comes to a contract extension. Despite Hak's performances on the floor, the organization seems to be more on letting him elsewhere. Personally, I think if you don't want a certain player. Explore trading options to see what teams are willing to trade back for someone like Hak. Otherwise, you could simply let his contract expire and replace him with a better suited player.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:35 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... way_trade/

It's official.

The Magic get Rafer Alston

The Rox get Brian Cook and Kyle Lowry

The Grizzlies get the Magic's unprotected 2009 first round pick, PG Mike Wilks, C Adonal Foyle, and cash considerations.

Obviously the Grizz should waive the injured Wilks and the useless Foyle from the team.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#6 » by jman3134 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:06 am

I'm actually a bit upset about trading Lowry for a first rounder. Lowry is not your run-of-the-mill first rounder. He was a very good selection.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#7 » by It_Was_Typed » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 am

Best of luck to Lowry.

DeJuan Blair with this pick please.
#JuiceIsFree

Return to Memphis Grizzlies