ImageImage

Rodney Carney

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Latilleon
Freshman
And1: 0

Rodney Carney 

Post#1 » by Latilleon » Tue Apr 7, 2009 9:47 pm

I think a top priority for the Grizz in the off-season should be Rodney Carney. Carney can back-up Rudy at the small forward, play 3 when Rudy plays the 4 spot, and shoot the 3.

He's athletic and plays good defense. He's probably obtainable for $3 million a year.
What'chu know about LAT? What'chu know about LAT? See I know all about that!
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: Rodney Carney 

Post#2 » by SD2042 » Tue Apr 7, 2009 10:04 pm

Long time no speak Lat.

On Rodney, offensively, he can be effective in transition offense with his breakway slams and lay ups.
As for him being effective from beyond the arc, he may have to play that card like a sleeper like when he isn't rushed to shoot the ball out of his hands. Otherwise, he gets in a hurry to shoot the ball, he might as well be turning the ball over jacking up bad shots. Considering his athleticism and solid defense, I wouldn't mind seeing the Grizz give him a chance to prove himself with them.
bgassassin
Starter

Post#3 » by bgassassin » Tue Apr 7, 2009 11:19 pm

The lack of access to the "main board" probably did it. ;)

I was thinking about Carney as well. He might even be able to spend some time at SG. I'd like to see the Grizzlies get combo wing as a backup.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Post#4 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Wed Apr 8, 2009 1:32 am

Bring on Rodney and CDR :)
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#5 » by Downtown » Wed Apr 8, 2009 5:27 am

Chris Douglas-Roberts is a player I thought Memphis should have tried to get earlier in the season when he was out of favor with Lawrence Franks and was barely getting any playing time. But lately he's been playing more, thus he probably has more value to the Nets.

SD2042, does Carney really play solid defense? I alway thought of him as a streaky offensive type with little defense. I'll defer to you since I can't say I've paid much attention to him.

I like the fact that posters are beginning to talk about the need for good role players off the bench. I think players like these two would make a difference. So would a combo guard that plays defense like Keyon Dooling. So would a veteran power forward/center like Nick Collison. Are there any cheaper versions of Shane Battier out there?
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Post#6 » by I Am Awesome-O » Wed Apr 8, 2009 5:33 am

Downtown wrote:Chris Douglas-Roberts is a player I thought Memphis should have tried to get earlier in the season when he was out of favor with Lawrence Franks and was barely getting any playing time. But lately he's been playing more, thus he probably has more value to the Nets.

SD2042, does Carney really play solid defense? I alway thought of him as a streaky offensive type with little defense. I'll defer to you since I can't say I've paid much attention to him.

I like the fact that posters are beginning to talk about the need for good role players off the bench. I think players like these two would make a difference. So would a combo guard that plays defense like Keyon Dooling. So would a veteran power forward/center like Nick Collison. Are there any cheaper versions of Shane Battier out there?

Ryan Gomes is one of the best, most underrated glue guys around, but there's most likely no way Minnesota let's him loose. Same with Ronnie Brewer and Trevor Ariza.

Other great, cheap role players include Thabo Sefolosha, Jamario Moon, Linas Kleiza, Joakim Noah, among others that I can't think of right now.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#7 » by SD2042 » Wed Apr 8, 2009 6:25 am

Since we're talking role players. What about Glen Davis and Leon Powe as potential Grizzlies? They will be free agents and the Celts may end up losing one of them depending on the players asking price.

DT, on Carney's defense, perhaps it could be better. At least it isn't weak like Michael Redd's is. If a coach can work with him to improve both ends of his game. Carney could turn out to be a solid contributor for the right team.
Lincoln Mark LT
Freshman

Post#8 » by Lincoln Mark LT » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:34 am

Latilleon wrote:I think a top priority for the Grizz in the off-season should be Rodney Carney. Carney can back-up Rudy at the small forward, play 3 when Rudy plays the 4 spot, and shoot the 3.

He's athletic and plays good defense. He's probably obtainable for $3 million a year.

$3 million a year for Rodney Carney? ROFLMAO! The guy hasn't done any more in this league than Casey Jacobsen has.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#9 » by dark-child » Wed Apr 8, 2009 1:32 pm

The bench is the one issue the Grizz should be able to address in the off season. It will be a very tricky proposition as you have 3 draft picks so on the surface it seems you will also be trending younger. When the Grizz were competitive it was when they had high quality reserves like Bonzi Wells, James Posey, Mike Miller etc. etc. The bench players have to push the starters and unfortunately we have no one capable of doing that right now. The only players where we don't need a backup upgrade are for Darko and Marko Jaric, but I would trade either or both for a low post scorer. If we want to upgrade the power forward position either by the draft or free agency than there should be no way you resign Hakim Warrick. Quinton Ross should not have place on the team as he can't be in the rotation if you expect to compete so it is basically what he gives you versus your 2nd round pick who will be cheaper. Greg Buckner ditto. Double H is showing us all something so he can be retained, Daruis Miles is a square piece in a round hole for this team because all our bigs are so young. We need a much better mix of veterans and young guys.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#10 » by dark-child » Wed Apr 8, 2009 1:39 pm

I think Minnesota has a team option on Rodney Carney, but as talented as he might be or not, he is not the right fit for an already young team. Unfortunately I don't think Portland will answer any calls from Memphis but it is clear to see why Travis Outlaw would have been a great fit for this team. I think we need a veteran behind Rudy who can also play along side of him when Rudy plays the power forward position in small lineups.
Lincoln Mark LT
Freshman

Post#11 » by Lincoln Mark LT » Wed Apr 8, 2009 6:06 pm

dark-child wrote:I think Minnesota has a team option on Rodney Carney, but as talented as he might be or not, he is not the right fit for an already young team. .

The truth is Rodney Carney isn't the right fit for the Grizzlies because he isn't a quality rotation player. He brings nothing to the table that would be useful to the Grizzlies.

Unfortunately I don't think Portland will answer any calls from Memphis but it is clear to see why Travis Outlaw would have been a great fit for this team. I think we need a veteran behind Rudy who can also play along side of him when Rudy plays the power forward position in small lineups

I agree.
pk00
Senior

Post#12 » by pk00 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:53 pm

Won't Memphis have something like $20 mil in capspace next year? Why don't they try to bring in someone like Carlos Boozer?
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 pm

That's correct Grizzlies, potentially, could have $20+ million in space next season.
On the books:

Darko Milicic $7,500,000
Marko Jaric $7,100,000
OJ Mayo $4,165,560
Greg Buckner $1,000,000 (Buyout clause)
Mike Conley $3,883,800
Marc Gasol $3,240,000
Rudy Gay $3,280,996
Hakim Warrick $3,021,838
Hamed Haddadi $1,572,221
Darrell Arthur $1,050,480

So assuming the Grizz waive Buckner - that's 9 players @ $32.5 million and change. The Grizz own their first, Orlando's first and a second round pick. Depending on where the Grizz's first pick ends up, that would leave ~$38 million or so in committed salary. If the cap stays around $58 million that would leave the Grizz with about $20 in wiggle room.

Boozer's not coming to Memphis would be my guess though. Heck, he may even end up not opting out.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by SD2042 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:11 pm

I wonder how bad the Jazz want to resign Boozer despite having to go over into luxury tax territory to do so. Personally, I think they should've traded Kirilenko to get back an expiring contract so when they decide to resign Boozer, the free salary space could give them some elbow room to handle the deal.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:19 am

I want to see the Grizz make a play for a Utah PF - it's just not Boozer. I think they should offer Millsap a contract in line with what they offered Smith (which ATL matched). Utah isn't in as good a position as the Hawks, especially if Boozer and/or Okur don't opt out.

Edit - and if NY doesn't pony up for Lee, he's my second choice.
Xand1
Sophomore

Post#16 » by Xand1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:30 am

dark-child wrote:I think Minnesota has a team option on Rodney Carney, but as talented as he might be or not, he is not the right fit for an already young team. Unfortunately I don't think Portland will answer any calls from Memphis but it is clear to see why Travis Outlaw would have been a great fit for this team. I think we need a veteran behind Rudy who can also play along side of him when Rudy plays the power forward position in small lineups.

The Wolves didn't exercise the option on Carney, so he's a UFA this offseason. And he's definitely quick enough to guard the 2 as well as the 3, although he has absolutely zero game off the dribble if he isn't wide open on the break. He's been a surprisingly good 3pt shooter and he does throw down some ridiculous dunks in transition, but that's about all you'll get from him offensively. He also doesn't rebound or pass well, so he's pretty limited, but his shooting's been good enough that he might carve out a spot for himself as a bench defense/energy guy.
El Hardee wrote:I really like Al, he is rough and EXTREMLY UGLY. That is the right combo for the perfect enforcer.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies