Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Papa Irish31
Sophomore
And1: 0

Boston-Memphis trade idea 

Post#1 » by Papa Irish31 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:12 am

Memphis receives, Brian Scalabrine, Tony Allen, JR Giddens, Glen Davis

Boston receives: Rudy Gay and Marco Jaric

why Memphis does this trade: Rudy Gay is a unrestricted free agent after this year, so if they want to make a play on a big name free agent they wont bring him back anyway, by keeping him and opting out of his contract the grizzlies will save 4 million dollars and still have jaric; in essence they could get their salary down to around 43 mil, but by doing this trade they will take on 3 expiring contracts and big baby's 3 mil on the books for next year, so they could get their salary down to 38 mil; AND have big baby instead of jaric going forward

why Boston does this trade: they get younger and more athletic, and someone capable to backup rondo at point guard

what do yall think? is this a fair trade? one that you would consider if you were the gm?
bgassassin
Starter

Re: Boston-Memphis trade idea 

Post#2 » by bgassassin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:45 am

That's a bad, uniformed trade. Rudy will be restricted, not unrestricted. We can sit on Jaric's contract since we're already doing that. The team's salary isn't really an issue from cost-cutting point of view.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#3 » by BarbaGrizz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:03 pm

Horrible
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#4 » by It_Was_Typed » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Go away.

Seriously.
#JuiceIsFree
Papa Irish31
Sophomore

Post#5 » by Papa Irish31 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:42 pm

haha you might think this is a bad trade but wallace would jump on the chance

i pretty much expected this sort of response but i got the impression that after this year memphis would let gay walk, if thats so why not try to clear jaric's cap space and go after a big name free agent to go along with the core you have

i was just curious because i know that a lot of grizz fans are down on gay, and if you wanted to unload jaric's contract the celtics are one of very few teams that could and would be willing to offer a expiring deals for him

also i realize that rudy will be restricted, that was just a typo, but as i said i didnt think yall wanted him back

Realistically, as a grizz fan, what kind of value would you want back in trading rudy?
Downtown
Head Coach
And1: 577

Post#6 » by Downtown » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:17 am

I think people read too much into the fact that both sides couldn't reach an agreement on an extention. It was just good business practice on both sides.

Gay can test the waters knowing there should be good offers for him, and as long as he stays healthy this season he should be handsomely rewarded next summer.

Memphis does have the right to match. They are betting on both the economic climate and great crop of free agents all contributing to offers that might be less than Gay has asked for, or at least nothing more than what they offered.
bgassassin
Starter

Post#7 » by bgassassin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:43 am

Papa Irish31 wrote:haha you might think this is a bad trade but wallace would jump on the chance

i pretty much expected this sort of response but i got the impression that after this year memphis would let gay walk, if thats so why not try to clear jaric's cap space and go after a big name free agent to go along with the core you have

i was just curious because i know that a lot of grizz fans are down on gay, and if you wanted to unload jaric's contract the celtics are one of very few teams that could and would be willing to offer a expiring deals for him

also i realize that rudy will be restricted, that was just a typo, but as i said i didnt think yall wanted him back

Realistically, as a grizz fan, what kind of value would you want back in trading rudy?

I can tell Wallace has been away from you guys for awhile if you assume he would take it. On top of that Wallace pretty much has no power to even make a decision. And yeah what Downtown said also, and to add to it Rudy will really need to get something done next offseason or he risks becoming unrestricted and having to sign a contract under a new CBA that will probably be more favorable to the owners.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#8 » by It_Was_Typed » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:14 am

If Rudy were to be traded, I expect a good SF and hopefully a first round pick.
#JuiceIsFree

Return to Memphis Grizzlies