T&T Games General Drafting/Off-Topic Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

T&T Games General Drafting/Off-Topic Thread 

Post#1 » by ardee » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:23 pm

Just thought we could have a thread where we could discuss general drafting strategy, favorite players, or anything really.

If the mods are ok with this maybe we could pin this.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

Re: T&T Games General Drafting/Off-Topic Thread 

Post#2 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:17 am

I really need to stop picking Kobe. Don't think I've ever gotten past the semis with him.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:35 am

I don't think I've ever had Kobe in a FGA restricted game. Someone always takes him before I'm willing to.

I guess the cost and relative efficiency scare me off.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#4 » by Timmaytime » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:36 am

I think I've had him twice, once I didn't do well and the other I didn't like my team.

I'm lower on Kobe than most, though, especially in the context of these games
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,286

Post#5 » by lilroddyb » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:47 am

I think it's kind of hard to win with Kobe especially if the opponent has an elite defender like Gary Payton then I feel like it's automatically assumed that Kobe will struggle mightily
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#6 » by 8on » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:53 am

I had Kobe once, I believe. I remember a game he won; it might have involved jan and Kawhi.

Two prime defensive wings are always welcome, but Kobe almost can’t be your best player, AND he costs 20 FGA. Hard sell, unless you picked a more efficient, less ball dominant player for cheap.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:55 am

lilroddyb wrote:I think it's kind of hard to win with Kobe especially if the opponent has an elite defender like Gary Payton then I feel like it's automatically assumed that Kobe will struggle mightily

I don't know if I've experienced that personally. That would be a bit weird when he's lit up someone like Bruce Bowen in multiple playoff series.

Finding perimeter players who fit alongside him is a little tricky. He doesn't seem to get much benefit of the doubt in that regard.
Smash3
RealGM
And1: 9,931

Post#8 » by Smash3 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:59 am

I won a game with Kobe, but that was when we had the 90 FGA.

It’s hard, but it’s doable, I remember when Bron couldn’t win a title on this board. I was the first one to win a title building around him. Now he rivals MJ in T&T chips :lol:
G: James Harden | Kris Dunn
G: Zach LaVine | Reggie Jackson
F: Josh Richardson | Nassir Little
F: Paul George | Otto Porter
C: Jakob Poeltl | Bismack Biyombo
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 am

Smash3 wrote:I won a game with Kobe, but that was when we had the 90 FGA.

It’s hard, but it’s doable, I remember when Bron couldn’t win a title on this board. I was the first one to win a title building around him. Now he rivals MJ in T&T chips :lol:

I don't remember what that team looked like, but I think in the past people didn't go far enough in terms of exploiting LeBron's mismatch potential. You should always try to give yourself at least the option of starting him at the 4 and forcing conventional teams to adjust to that.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Timmaytime » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:06 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:

I don't remember what that team looked like, but I think in the past people didn't go far enough in terms of exploiting LeBron's mismatch potential. You should always try to give yourself at least the option of starting him at the 4 and forcing conventional teams to adjust to that.

I mean, in those times Jordan was viewed as impossible to guard and if you came up with a semi-reasonable build around MJ you had a free trip to the finals
8on
RealGM

Post#11 » by 8on » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:

little easier to guard him than it used to be. I think we’re becoming more versatile. You just used Danny Green to guard him. I didn’t have a problem with it. I remember.....one time I said Oakley could guard LeBron. That was incorrect. :D
8on
RealGM

Post#12 » by 8on » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:09 am

Timmaytime wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

I mean, in those times Jordan was viewed as impossible to guard and if you came up with a semi-reasonable build around MJ you had a free trip to the finals

damecurry was famous for that. also I’m surprised MJ hasn’t won in a while
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Timmaytime » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:09 am

8on wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:I don't remember what that team looked like, but I think in the past people didn't go far enough in terms of exploiting LeBron's mismatch potential. You should always try to give yourself at least the option of starting him at the 4 and forcing conventional teams to adjust to that.

damecurry was famous for that. also I’m surprised MJ hasn’t won in a while

gotta keep up with the zeitgeist, MJ is so out right now, clearly
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,864

Post#14 » by Prez » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:11 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:

Yeah this is pretty effective. Not at the 4, but I started him at PG (though not overplaying him there) and I honestly don't think I would've won that game if I didn't do that. When you can start and close games with a guy who can competently guard PGs (at least for 10-15 minutes) but destroy them on the other end it's a big advantage.
Smash3
RealGM

Post#15 » by Smash3 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:12 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:

That’s true, he was often relegated to just the 3 in the past. First time I had the chance to draft him I built a team with no traditional PG and gave him 15 min + at the four.

I think the team with Kobe was with CP3, I think a big part is the backcourt partner needs to be a big time player; or as I noticed a lot of people will dismiss the backcourt as they’ll just assume Kobe will go iso.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:12 am

Timmaytime wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:

My first championship came with this team:

C- Gilmore
PF - Nance
SF - Uncle Cliffy
SG - MJ
PG - Derek Harper

With Coop, Elie, and Rambis off the bench. No way that group stands a chance now. :lol:
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Timmaytime » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:15 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:I don't remember what that team looked like, but I think in the past people didn't go far enough in terms of exploiting LeBron's mismatch potential. You should always try to give yourself at least the option of starting him at the 4 and forcing conventional teams to adjust to that.

C- Gilmore
PF - Nance
SF - Uncle Cliffy
SG - MJ
PG - Derek Harper

With Coop, Elie, and Rambis off the bench. No way that group stands a chance now. :lol:

It was similar with Shaq too.

I remember a game in which I had peak Bird/Karl Malone/D12 with Marques Johnson on the bench and good depth (2nd year PG, Mo Cheeks, Christie) that I lost to a team built around Shaq/Pierce/Billups. I don't think it was particularly close, either.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#18 » by Snakebites » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:21 am

Timmaytime wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:

C- Gilmore
PF - Nance
SF - Uncle Cliffy
SG - MJ
PG - Derek Harper

I remember a game in which I had peak Bird/Karl Malone/D12 with Marques Johnson on the bench and good depth (2nd year PG, Mo Cheeks, Christie) that I lost to a team built around Shaq/Pierce/Billups. I don't think it was particularly close, either.

There was a stretch there where Shaq was considered unbeatable by just about everyone. Hakeem too.

I remember people would just vote "because Hakeem" or "because Shaq". The best center would win every time. Which is kind of bizarre given how the real NBA has moved away from that at this point.

Times certainly have changed. I had a general aversion to building around guys like that, so I didn't win for a while until the meta shifted away from that.
Smash3
RealGM

Post#19 » by Smash3 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:24 am

Snakebites wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:My first championship came with this team:

C- Gilmore
PF - Nance
SF - Uncle Cliffy
SG - MJ
PG - Derek Harper

There was a stretch there where Shaq was considered unbeatable by just about everyone. Hakeem too.

I remember people would just vote "because Hakeem" or "because Shaq". The best center would win every time. Which is kind of bizarre given how the real NBA has moved away from that at this point.

Times certainly have changed. I had a general aversion to building around guys like that, so I didn't win for a while until the meta shifted away from that.

I missed that, I feel like every time I build around Shaq/KAJ/Hakeem I lose in the first round or don’t get ranked :lol:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#20 » by Snakebites » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:26 am

Smash3 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:

I missed that, I feel like every time I build around Shaq/KAJ/Hakeem I lose in the first round or don’t get ranked :lol:

I avoid those players not because I think I'd lose but because it's just not the style of team I generally enjoy building. I like things to be more dynamic.

In the current game I picked David Robinson in the first round, but he's a distinctly different type of big that doesn't necessarily need to be the focal point and is far more capable as an elite supporting offensive piece, in this case to Dirk.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games