FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Re: FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22 

Post#1381 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Mar 6, 2024 9:39 pm

Is there a team to make it a triple threat match? Philly? Or you could LAL, BOS, GSW for having the most titles, or those 3 and SAS/CHI if you wanted to expand the pool.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#1382 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:50 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Is there a team to make it a triple threat match? Philly? Or you could LAL, BOS, GSW for having the most titles, or those 3 and SAS/CHI if you wanted to expand the pool.

I don’t think it’s necessary to add teams.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#1383 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:00 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:Is there a team to make it a triple threat match? Philly? Or you could LAL, BOS, GSW for having the most titles, or those 3 and SAS/CHI if you wanted to expand the pool.

This would be if we didn't allow players who's prime was on other franchises
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1384 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:28 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Yeah. I get it.

I prefer keeping it to two franchises personally. You’re compromising on the theme either way.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

Post#1385 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:44 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I don’t think it’s necessary to add teams.

Yeah. I get it.

I prefer keeping it to two franchises personally. You’re compromising on the theme either way.

Same
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#1386 » by Laimbeer » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:46 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:

Yeah. I get it.

Same

I'll start this one after Larry's draft is played out or is cancelled.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,865

Post#1387 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:03 pm

What about a best and worst pairs draft. An East one followed by a west on - so 2 drafts. Only 1 MVP or Multi All NBA 1st team member per round.

1979/80 - 2023/24

1player from each team that is the opposite in standings as of start of draft.

Meaning
Boston>Detroit
Bucks>Wizards
Cavs>Hornets
Knicks>Raptors
Magic>Nets
76ers>Hawks
Pacers>Bulls

Miami either left out or paired with itself...i dont care either way.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Post#1388 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:49 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:What about a best and worst pairs draft. An East one followed by a west on - so 2 drafts. Only 1 MVP or Multi All NBA 1st team member per round.

1979/80 - 2023/24

Meaning
Boston>Detroit
Bucks>Wizards
Cavs>Hornets
Knicks>Raptors
Magic>Nets
76ers>Hawks
Pacers>Bulls

We did it 10 months ago with the final standings.

2023 East Cross-Standings Draft, followed by a West version
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#1389 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:43 pm

Shaq Franchises

Lakers Orlando Miami Phoenix Cleveland Boston

Interesting pool and seems suitable for 10 players, not too deep and not too shallow
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1390 » by Laimbeer » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:24 pm

How about (I think these were discussed previously)

Over the hill (33 and over)
Second best team draft (can't use a player with a franchise with which he peaked or won a MVP)
Put them over the top viewtopic.php?f=340&t=1996077
Low fga
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1391 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:53 pm

Laimbeer wrote:How about (I think these were discussed previously)

Second best team draft (can't use a player with a franchise with which he peaked or won a MVP)
Low fga

Put them over the top is a pet favorite of mine.

Might need some tinkering (as I suggested a few pages back in this thread) but it’s a different look.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#1392 » by durantbird » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:56 am

Low fga

I like the second best team concept. But we should have well defined criteria. For example, I don't think Moses should be prohibited in both Houston and Philly, if we include the 80s. Maybe franchise with highest career BPM season should be forbidden.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1393 » by Laimbeer » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:30 pm

durantbird wrote:

Low fga

I like the second best team concept. But we should have well defined criteria. For example, I don't think Moses should be prohibited in both Houston and Philly, if we include the 80s. Maybe franchise with highest career BPM season should be forbidden.

Yes, we'd use something like BPM or win shares to determine peak (and thus not usable) franchise. But not winning a MVP with the second franchise is a LeBron rule. I'm thinking he'd give quite an advantge here. But maybe not.
flaco
Starter
And1: 866

Post#1394 » by flaco » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:49 pm

Would love us to run a game with a drastically reduced FGA limit. It should spice things up!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1395 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:00 pm

durantbird wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:What about a best and worst pairs draft. An East one followed by a west on - so 2 drafts. Only 1 MVP or Multi All NBA 1st team member per round.

1979/80 - 2023/24

Meaning
Boston>Detroit
Bucks>Wizards
Cavs>Hornets
Knicks>Raptors
Magic>Nets
76ers>Hawks
Pacers>Bulls

We did it 10 months ago with the final standings.

2023 East Cross-Standings Draft, followed by a West version

It’s defintely an idea I’d like to do again at the end of the season. Not now though.
Square
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#1396 » by Square » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:59 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Low fga

Might need some tinkering (as I suggested a few pages back in this thread) but it’s a different look.

Put them over the top as a draft would probably be fun. (It was also fun as a non-draft.)

I'm imagining something like: 4 rounds. In any round, you can draft your 5-man "core", in the others you draft individual players. A "core" is 5 players from the same team and season, none of whom can have ever won a title with that franchise. The other 3 players maybe should maybe have some restriction, or not, not sure. That what you were thinking?

Would it be "balanced"? Who knows, but I think it would be fun.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1397 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:39 pm

Square wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Low fga

Put them over the top as a draft would probably be fun. (It was also fun as a non-draft.)

I'm imagining something like: 4 rounds. In any round, you can draft your 5-man "core", in the others you draft individual players. A "core" is 5 players from the same team and season, none of whom can have ever won a title with that franchise. The other 3 players maybe should maybe have some restriction, or not, not sure. That what you were thinking?

I think some cores were overpowered because it wasn’t a draft. Everyone had equal access to the best supporting pieces.

Tough to beat the team that adds Klay Thompson to KD, Harden, Westbrook. Now, you can use your early pick on that Thunder core but it likely costs you access to those best pieces.

Might still need some tinkering but I enjoyed this one.

I also think we collectively worry too much about fairness in these. Almost everyone who wins one of these benefits from luck or a favorable draft spot.

I personally think there should be no all NBA first, or maybe just no multiple all nba first.

I’d say three added guys:

1) All Star No All NBA First
2) Two guys who were never All Stars

I don’t particularly like that this locks out guys like Tyson Chandler and Andre Iguodala, but I’m not sure how to get around it.

I’d also say they have to have played at least 41 games with that team (so no Suns KD).
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1398 » by Laimbeer » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:46 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Square wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

I think some cores were overpowered because it wasn’t a draft. Everyone had equal access to the best supporting pieces.

Tough to beat the team that adds Klay Thompson to KD, Harden, Westbrook. Now, you can use your early pick on that Thunder core but it likely costs you access to those best pieces.

I also think we collectively worry too much about fairness in these. Almost everyone who wins one of these benefits from luck or a favorable draft spot.

I personally think there should be no all NBA first, or maybe just no multiple all nba first.

I don’t particularly like that this locks out guys like Tyson Chandler and Andre Iguodala, but I’m not sure how to get around it.

I’d also say they have to have played at least 41 games with that team (so no Suns KD).
I am wondering if we could get 10 or so core franchises that are relatively equal. If you restrict the quality of player that can be selected to supplement them, it is going to be harder for the people with the lesser cores to get a better compliment

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1399 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:52 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Square wrote:

I am wondering if we could get 10 or so core franchises that are relatively equal. If you restrict the quality of player that can be selected to supplement them, it is going to be harder for the people with the lesser cores to get a better compliment

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

If you let it be unrestricted then it becomes too easy for people who already have a better core to get an elite additional piece.

The idea is to supplement a core not remake it by adding an MVP.

I’m not sure you need 10 relatively equal cores. In theory the best pieces will go to the cores that aren’t quite as strong.

I guess you could make it no-multiple all nba firsts.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1400 » by Laimbeer » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:27 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Square wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Rules:

1. Subject to the rules to be set out below, players from the 1989-90 to 2022-23 seasons will be available. You can use players that came into the league before 1989 but the season you choose can't be before 1989-90.

2. The object is to build a title team with a core of players who never quite got there. You will select a five player core and three wild cards as part of a four round draft. You may select in any order.

3. Your core of five players must meet these requirements...

A) You must use the same team/season for all five - for example, five players from the 2002 Sacramento Kings, using their 2002 season.

B) None of the five players ever won a title with that franchise

C) Each of the five players played the majority of at least two regular seasons with the franchise

D) These five players are limited to 60 fga's.

4. Your three wild cards can be from any team or season from 1990-91 to 2022-23. However, you may select only one wild card who ever earned all-NBA or all-star awards, and the highest career award must be second team all-NBA or lower. The other two wild cards must have never earned all-NBA or all-star honors. These three players will be limited to 33 fga's.

5. Overll FGA limit of 88.0

Return to Trades and Transactions Games