FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Re: FUTURE DRAFT GAMES - NEW THREAD 2/21/22 

Post#1401 » by durantbird » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:48 pm

It's a bit of a bummer that the OKC core will probably prevent using Harden's Rockets core. What about disallowing two or three MVPs per core?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#1402 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:02 pm

durantbird wrote:It's a bit of a bummer that the OKC core will probably prevent using Harden's Rockets core. What about disallowing two or three MVPs per core?

I think you could do that.

No more than two MVPs.

That still allows use of KD/Westbrook but not all 3.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

Post#1403 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:05 pm

Tbh, I'd restrict the core to four and if possible no more than two stars of a certain level. Maybe designate a core five and then you choose three or four. Just adding to a team with three or four All-Star/All-NBA types doesn't give you much scope to do anything meaningful IMO.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1404 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:24 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:Tbh, I'd restrict the core to four and if possible no more than two stars of a certain level. Maybe designate a core five and then you choose three or four. Just adding to a team with three or four All-Star/All-NBA types doesn't give you much scope to do anything meaningful IMO.

The only team that really strikes me as so star studded that it can’t be added meaningfully to is the 2011 Thunder.

And fixes to that are already proposed.

If we’re gonna do something like you suggest I’d probably want slightly fewer restrictions on the guys we can add.

That said, I don’t mind this idea being tinkered with if it’ll make more people willing to play it.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#1405 » by Laimbeer » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:39 pm

If anyone wants to iron out the last wrinkle and start it I am fine with that.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1406 » by Snakebites » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:10 am

A slight tweak. I added a limit to two All-NBA First Team guys per team selection. Also made the core only four players, but you can still only add one All Star as before, still limited to All-NBA 2nd. This gives more flexibility to either supplement the team with really good non-all stars or go all in on a particularly strong core with more minor role player additions. I still wasn't comfortable giving the ability to add multiple all stars, but it might make the better non-all stars more popular for teams willing to spend less on their cores.

This setup should also eliminate the Brooklyn and OKC Thunder Superteams (though KD/Westbrook or KD/Harden can still be chosen, a third star in the core can't be added to them- KD/Westbrook/Harden breaks the rules and KD/Harden/Irving is too expensive.)

Rules:

1. Subject to the rules to be set out below, players from the 1989-90 to 2022-23 seasons will be available. You can use players that came into the league before 1989 but the season you choose can't be before 1989-90.

2. The object is to build a title team with a core of players who never quite got there. You will select a four player core and four wild cards as part of a five round draft. Your core can be selected in any round.

3. Your core of four players must meet these requirements...

A) You must use the same team/season for all four- for example, four players from the 2002 Sacramento Kings, using their 2002 season.
B) None of the four players ever won a title with that franchise
C) Each of the four players played the majority of at least two regular seasons with the franchise
D) Your core must only have maximum two players who have ever made an All-NBA First team at any stage in their careers.
E) The core is limited to 55 FGA

4. Your four wild cards can be from any team or season from 1989-90 to 2022-23. However, you may select only one wild card who ever earned all-NBA or all-star awards, and the highest career award must be second team all-NBA or lower. The other three wild cards must have never earned all-NBA or all-star honors.

5. Overall FGA limit of 88.0

6. Draft order shall be ABBAB

Thoughts?

No idea of this idea would have enough interest to move forward (people say they want new ideas but at the same time seem resistant to them), but it's worth a shot for those who want a relatively quick draft with an odd-ball concept. I could even run it if nobody else wants to.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1407 » by Laimbeer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:41 pm

^^^ I like it. A smaller pool wouldn't seem to be a big problem with this one, imo.
Square
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#1408 » by Square » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:08 pm

Snakebites wrote:A slight tweak. I added a limit to two All-NBA First Team guys per team selection. Also made the core only four players, but you can still only add one All Star as before, still limited to All-NBA 2nd. This gives more flexibility to either supplement the team with really good non-all stars or go all in on a particularly strong core with more minor role player additions. I still wasn't comfortable giving the ability to add multiple all stars, but it might make the better non-all stars more popular for teams willing to spend less on their cores.

This setup should also eliminate the Brooklyn and OKC Thunder Superteams (though KD/Westbrook or KD/Harden can still be chosen, a third star in the core can't be added to them- KD/Westbrook/Harden breaks the rules and KD/Harden/Irving is too expensive.)

Rules:

1. Subject to the rules to be set out below, players from the 1989-90 to 2022-23 seasons will be available. You can use players that came into the league before 1989 but the season you choose can't be before 1989-90.

2. The object is to build a title team with a core of players who never quite got there. You will select a four player core and four wild cards as part of a five round draft. Your core can be selected in any round.

A) You must use the same team/season for all four- for example, four players from the 2002 Sacramento Kings, using their 2002 season.
C) Each of the four players played the majority of at least two regular seasons with the franchise
D) Your core must only have maximum two players who have ever made an All-NBA First team at any stage in their careers.

4. Your four wild cards can be from any team or season from 1989-90 to 2022-23. However, you may select only one wild card who ever earned all-NBA or all-star awards, and the highest career award must be second team all-NBA or lower. The other three wild cards must have never earned all-NBA or all-star honors.

Thoughts?

No idea of this idea would have enough interest to move forward (people say they want new ideas but at the same time seem resistant to them), but it's worth a shot for those who want a relatively quick draft with an odd-ball concept. I could even run it if nobody else wants to.

I like it and I'd play. The only thing I don't get is why we'd limit the FGA of the core. If anything I'd limit the FGA of the wild cards. But these are just details and I'd play regardless.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,891

Post#1409 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:25 pm

Square wrote:
Snakebites wrote:A slight tweak. I added a limit to two All-NBA First Team guys per team selection. Also made the core only four players, but you can still only add one All Star as before, still limited to All-NBA 2nd. This gives more flexibility to either supplement the team with really good non-all stars or go all in on a particularly strong core with more minor role player additions. I still wasn't comfortable giving the ability to add multiple all stars, but it might make the better non-all stars more popular for teams willing to spend less on their cores.

Rules:

Thoughts?

I like it and I'd play. The only thing I don't get is why we'd limit the FGA of the core. If anything I'd limit the FGA of the wild cards. But these are just details and I'd play regardless.

We should just limit the FGA of the team as a whole. You can splurge on core FGA or you can splurge on Wild Card FGA.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1410 » by Laimbeer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 pm

delete
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#1411 » by Laimbeer » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:50 pm

Square wrote:

Rules:

Thoughts?

I tend to agree with this. What would prevent someone from drafting two stars and two 3 to 5 -fga scrubs for the core? I think you need a minimum for the core and/or a maximum for the wild cards.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1412 » by Snakebites » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:06 am

Okay I’ll take that out.

I think limiting the star power of the core and wild cards addresses the same issues limiting the FGA would.

I’ll post the thread with that FGA limit taken out in a few.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#1413 » by durantbird » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:48 am

durantbird wrote:Shaq Franchises

Lakers Orlando Miami Phoenix Cleveland Boston

Interesting pool and seems suitable for 10 players, not too deep and not too shallow

Bringing this idea up again.

And also: Top of the East. Eastern clubs with multiple championships

Boston, Chicago, Miami, Detroit, Philly, Milwaukee, Knicks
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1414 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:20 am

The Frenemy Pair Draft- Must select pairs of players from the greatest rivalries of all time. To make it harder, maybe you need to select years they faced one another in the playoffs?

Lakers/Celtics
Pistons/Bulls
Knicks/Pacers
Warriors/Cavs
Sixers/Celtics
Knicks/Heat
Spurs/Mavericks
Lakers/Suns
Celtics/Pistons

I thought about just having it be the most common playoff matchups, but most of those include the Lakers or Celtics, so that got boring fast. The list was mostly off the top of my head, and checking the frequency of certain matchups. Probably needs workshopping. Some teams are heavily represented, and it also skews towards older matchups, as rivalries just aren't as big a thing as they used to be now that most players are friends with each other.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#1415 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:08 am

Snakebites wrote:The Frenemy Pair Draft- Must select pairs of players from the greatest rivalries of all time. To make it harder, maybe you need to select years they faced one another in the playoffs?

Lakers/Celtics
Pistons/Bulls
Knicks/Pacers
Warriors/Cavs
Sixers/Celtics
Knicks/Heat
Spurs/Mavericks
Lakers/Suns
Celtics/Pistons

I thought about just having it be the most common playoff matchups, but most of those include the Lakers or Celtics, so that got boring fast. The list was mostly off the top of my head, and checking the frequency of certain matchups. Probably needs workshopping. Some teams are heavily represented, and it also skews towards older matchups, as rivalries just aren't as big a thing as they used to be now that most players are friends with each other.

I love pairs draft, but this idea is pretty similar to the Finals Rivalry draft we already did. I think the pairs here are a bit different though.
flaco
Starter
And1: 866

Post#1416 » by flaco » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:33 pm

I enjoyed the current draft quite a bit. The core concept was an interesting twist! I think we should revisit this idea for future drafts. For instance, we could select a 4-man core without the ''no rings'' restriction.

Would love us to run a game with a drastically reduced FGA limit. Let's say we set the limit at 66 FGA for 8 players (or even lower). No need for other restrictions. Good luck filling out the roster if you select a couple of expensive stars.
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#1417 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:17 pm

Since we are not closed in yet on the next idea, I meanwhile started sign-ups for the Shaq franchises idea
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,891

Post#1418 » by Colbinii » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:57 pm

Back-to-Back Franchise Draft

Warriors
Heat
Lakers
Celtics
Bulls
Rockets
Pistons
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1419 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:51 pm

I'll pitch this here- just so it can be workshopped where more people can see it:

Another twist on the modified core draft. The bare bones rules are the same as the previous draft, but with the following changes:

1) You can now pick players who have won a single championship with that franchise, but you still can't choose the season that they won. This should alleviate concerns about the 2008 Celtics being too powerful. This opens up the core options while still removing full on dynasties like the 90s Bulls, 00s Lakers and Spurs, and Splash Warriors.

2) No more than 2 All NBA First Teamers per ENTIRE TEAM.

3) The restriction on the wildcard is relaxed. You are now allowed to take any player who has never won an MVP. The important caveat is that you're still limited to two All NBA First Teamers per team, so if your core already has two of them you can't take another.

4) Per suggestion of others, you must start at least 3 players from your core.

Potential concern is that this does leave a couple of Lebron teams that could be selected. I'm not sure that's a non-starter. Cleveland Lebron would be forced to start alongside a couple of less-than desirable supporting pieces and the teams that lost to the Warriors weren't really THAT special. And the Lakers were kind of a mess outside of the one championship year.

Thoughts?
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#1420 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:18 pm

Snakebites wrote:I'll pitch this here- just so it can be workshopped where more people can see it:

Another twist on the modified core draft. The bare bones rules are the same as the previous draft, but with the following changes:

1) You can now pick players who have won a single championship with that franchise, but you still can't choose the season that they won. This should alleviate concerns about the 2008 Celtics being too powerful. This opens up the core options while still removing full on dynasties like the 90s Bulls, 00s Lakers and Spurs, and Splash Warriors.

2) No more than 2 All NBA First Teamers per ENTIRE TEAM.

3) The restriction on the wildcard is relaxed. You are now allowed to take any player who has never won an MVP. The important caveat is that you're still limited to two All NBA First Teamers per team, so if your core already has two of them you can't take another.

4) Per suggestion of others, you must start at least 3 players from your core.

Potential concern is that this does leave a couple of Lebron teams that could be selected. I'm not sure that's a non-starter. Cleveland Lebron would be forced to start alongside a couple of less-than desirable supporting pieces and the teams that lost to the Warriors weren't really THAT special. And the Lakers were kind of a mess outside of the one championship year.

Thoughts?

If I understand correctly, it adds LeBron's Cavs/Lakers, Giannis' Bucks, Jokic's Denver, Dirk's Dallas, and the modern Detroit Bad Boys, right?

Are all the four players required to play in the championship team? If they do, it kinda contradicts the ability to take no rings teams, unless they are handled differently in the rules.

Can I pick Spurs Kawhi without Parker/Manu/Duncan, or Miami Shaq without Wade?

Return to Trades and Transactions Games