Two Rings or Less Draft : Round 2 Snakebites vs Square*

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,134

Two Rings or Less Draft : Round 2 Snakebites vs Square* 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:13 am

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on their roster page).

**First to 3 votes advances**

Snakebites wrote:...

Square wrote:...
Square
Rookie
And1: 273

Re: Two Rings or Less Draft : Round 2 Snakebites vs Square 

Post#2 » by Square » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:36 pm

Team Square

Roster
G Jason Kidd '10: 10/6/9/2, 43% 3P% on 5 3PA/G, +4 BPM, 11th in All-D voting, All-Star
G/F Terance Mann '23: 14/5/4/1 per 36, 52/39/78 shooting, 62 TS%
G/F Tracy McGrady '03: 32/7/6, 46/39/79 shooting, +11 BPM (led league), All-NBA 1st, 4th in MVP
F Joe Ingles '16: 39% from three on 6 3PA/36, 10/4/3/2 per 36
F PJ Tucker '18: 6/6, 37% 3P%, (Playoffs: 9/7 with 2 3PM/G at 47 3P%), +6 on-off on a 65-win team
F Kevin Garnett '05: 22/14/6/2/1, +10 BPM (led league), All-D 1st, All-NBA 2nd
C Shaquille O'Neal '95: 29/11/3/3, 58 FG%, All-NBA 2nd, 2nd in MVP
C Marcin Gortat '09: 11/13/2 per 36, 57% FG%

Picks and FGA:
Spoiler:
Round 1: Garnett (MIN, 16.6)
Round 2: Shaq (ORL, 20.2)
Round 3: McGrady (ORL, 24.2)
Round 4: Kidd (DAL, 8.4)
Round 5: Tucker (HOU, 5.4)
Round 6: Mann (LAC, 6.5)
Round 7: Ingles (UTA, 3.6)
Round 8: Gortat (ORL, 3.0)
Total FGA: 87.9

Rotation:
G Kidd 36 / Mann 12
G McGrady 40 / Mann 8
F Tucker 26 / Ingles 16 / Mann 6
F Garnett 40 / Tucker 8
C Shaq 40 / Gortat 8

About Team Square:
It starts with the Big 3: an elite perimeter #1 who handles and shoots, a dominant interior #1, and one of the greatest defenders of all time who also happens to be a perfect offensive complement. All three are MVP-level and fit perfectly together.

Getting Kidd as the 4th piece was crucial for me. This season in Dallas, he was an all-star and led a 55-win Mavs team in BPM and DBPM. As always, he was a great defender across multiple positions and one of the most creative passers of all time. He had also fixed his jumper by this point and was a high-level three point shooter (43% on over 5 attempts a game).

Our complementary wings – Tucker, Mann, Ingles – bring tough defense and outside shooting, with Mann also proving some north-south dynamism and playmaking off the bench.

Overall, I really want to highlight our rebounding and physicality. Shaq is one of the great offensive rebounders and physical presences of all time. KG is one of the great defensive rebounders and shut-down defenders of all time. Kidd is one of the greatest rebounding guards ever. TMac is huge at 6’9” playing the 2, and Tucker is a brick wall who gets big clutch rebounds every year deep into the playoffs. We’re going to have a massive physical edge on the floor and especially on the glass every night.

Offensively, this team is tough to stop because of the combination of interior dominance, outside shooting (5 players over 37 3P%), and playmaking. The TMac/KG two-man game is not switchable because KG punishes smalls. It’s not trappable, because KG in space is too dangerous in the mid-range, getting to the rim, or throwing lobs to Shaq. You can’t play it straight up because TMac cooks you. You can’t send a third defender off a shooter or off Shaq, because that’s an instant open three or alley-oop. Not a lot to do there.

There’s also no good way to bottle up Shaq here, because between TMac, Kidd, KG, Mann, and Ingles, we have creative passers all over the floor. We can always swing the ball until we find an easy entry pass, a crack behind a fronting defender, or the right angle for the lob.

Defensively, KG probably offers the greatest ever combination of switchability and rim protection. He never got to play with an athletic force like young Shaq at the 5, who makes things even easier on him. Between Tucker, Kidd, and Mann, we also have good options to make life difficult on perimeter players of any size.

vs. Snakebites:
Never fun to see Snakebites, who built a cool team here, but I think we can pull this one out.

On offense, we attack through our Big 3 of course. Bell is fine, but I’ve never been all that high on him as a shut-down guy, and he’s the only real option on TMac here. However, having Harden on the floor for 40 minutes basically forces you to switch on D (since Harden won’t do anything else), so in any case we can peel Bell off from TMac with a screen from Tucker or KG whenever we feel like it, then pull Harden into more difficult actions. (E.g. is he going to then switch the next screen onto Shaq?)

On the interior, our size and physicality are going to really tell. 34-year old Gasol is not as mobile a defensive player as he was in his Memphis prime, and playing 35 minutes against Shaq is a tall order. When mummified Rockets Mutombo gets in the game, it’ll be even tougher to handle our pnrs and movement with a center as mobile as young Shaq diving to the rim. In all situations, Snakebites plays weaker rebounders at the 4 and 5 and we have dominant rebounders all over the floor, so that’s going to be a major advantage for us as well.

On the other end, we can play pretty straight. Kidd on Harden is too strong to get bodied and too smart to get fooled by the trickery. TMac on Bell is easy. Tucker is on Durant: smaller, ultra-physical guys who push him around and deny the catch always bothered OKC Durant more than other types of defenders. Tony Allen is a similar example -- remember that '13 KD shot 53 TS% with 4.4 TO/G with Allen on him in a playoff loss to the Grizzlies. KG on Kirilenko allows KG to roam around and blow up all those pick and rolls, and Shaq guards Gasol, although we can switch around the big matchups as needed. Having KG as maybe the greatest pnr team defender of all time is IMO a bit of a trump card against a Harden team. With another rim protector alongside him, I think we have enough defensive answers for our offense to tell.

PS: I hope all those people who busted my chops for using ‘13 Durant last game – of whom Snakebites was one! – show up to vote in this one…
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,929

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:50 pm

Square wrote:
PS: I hope all those people who busted my chops for using ‘13 Durant last game – of whom Snakebites was one! – show up to vote in this one…

To be fair I was more concerned with your other two downgrades in that one.

Writeup coming later.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:31 am

PG: James Harden 17-18- 20.1 FGA- MVP
30/5/9, 62% TS, 37% 3pt on 10 attempts, 7.7 VORP
SG: Raja Bell 07-08- 10.0 FGA- All Defensive 2nd
12/3/2, 40% 3pt on 6 attempts
SF: Kevin Durant 12-13 17.7 FGA- All NBA First, 8.9 VORP
28/8/5, 65% TS, 42% 3pt on 4 Attempts
PF: Andrei Kirilenko 03-04- 11.9 FGA- All Star, All NBA Second
17/8/4/3/2, 7.2 VORP
C: Marc Gasol 18-19- 11.0 FGA
14/8/4, 36% 3pt on 3.5 Attempts, 2.3 DBPM

Bench:

G: Patrick Beverley 18-19- 6.1 FGA- Point of attack defender
8/5/4, 40% 3pt on 3.6 Attempts
F: Dorian Finney-Smith 20-21- 7.8 FGA- Swing/wing defender
10/5/2, 39% 3pt on 5 Attempts
C: Dikembe Mutombo- 04-05- 3.0 FGA- Rim Protector
4/5/1

Harden (39)/Beverley (9)
Bell (33)/Beverley (15)
Durant (39)/DFS (9)
AK (36)/DFS (12)
Gasol (35)/Mutombo (13)

Alrighty, let’s do this.

The guiding principle behind this team is a team run through Harden and KD- a team that can operate the P/R in space without sacrificing in rim protection.

When looking at volume in conjunction with efficiency, there’s a number of guys you can argue are the best scorer in this game. I’ve got two of them- James and Kevin. They are more efficient and in general score from further away from the basket than Square’s top scorers, and they’re surrounded by spacing and elite defense for days. Marc can pop, AK can roll, and Bell spaces the floor. KD works off ball but can also create his own shot, making him the perfect co-first option with prime Harden.

Square has elite talent high-end talent that does most of its scoring inside the three point line- the hope will be to outpace him with our range- we’ve got strong defensive options man to man but Gasol/AK also provide elite rim protection, and while Square has spacers he doesnt have any volume outside sgoorers, outside of this season TMAC was never an efficient outside shooter.

A grizzly matchup to be sure, but I think we can pull it out.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,810

Post#5 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:34 pm

Square obviously has the edge in top-end talent, and it fits together pretty well with Kidd filling in the blanks. Not quite as enamoured of the 46 minutes of Tucker and 2016 Ingles at the 3. Snake has better depth and the theory of the team is clearly defined. However, I don't know if I trust KD and Harden as my sole offensive engines considering their spotty playoff track records. I think this is a case where the third star makes a significant difference in Square's favor.

Vote: Square
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,933

Post#6 » by Larry_Russell » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:08 pm

Kidd was a perfect addition to squares team.

A steady, smart PG who can run the offense as needed.

I think McGrady and Shaq work very well, and having KG and the heady Kidd as 3 and 4 is crazy.

I dont care about the SF in this case, that top 4 is bonkers.

I didnt think it would work out for square, but he made it work out good enough to win.

Vote Square
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,565

Post#7 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:34 pm

I think Snake is just outgunned here with one less superstar. Vote Square.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:49 pm

Expected result.

It was collective malpractice for us to let Square add 2010 Kidd at 8.4 FGA to that core.

Struggled with this one. Built a good team that didn’t have enough firepower. Harden is good but super expensive and if his playoff record is to be used against him I think I won’t pick him anymore. 20 FGA is too pricey for someone not everybody is sold on.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,134

Post#9 » by Laimbeer » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:48 pm

Square advances.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games