Two Rings or Less Draft : Semis uberhikari* vs Square

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,257

Two Rings or Less Draft : Semis uberhikari* vs Square 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:55 pm

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on their roster page).

**First to 3 votes advances**

uberhikari wrote:...

Square wrote:...
Square
Rookie
And1: 282

Re: Two Rings or Less Draft : Semis uberhikari vs Square 

Post#2 » by Square » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:59 am

Team Square

Roster
G Jason Kidd '10: 10/6/9/2, 43% 3P% on 5 3PA/G, +4 BPM, 11th in All-D voting, All-Star
G/F Terance Mann '23: 14/5/4/1 per 36, 52/39/78 shooting, 62 TS%
G/F Tracy McGrady '03: 32/7/6, 46/39/79 shooting, +11 BPM (led league), All-NBA 1st, 4th in MVP
F Joe Ingles '16: 39% from three on 6 3PA/36, 10/4/3/2 per 36
F PJ Tucker '18: 6/6, 37% 3P%, (Playoffs: 9/7 with 2 3PM/G at 47 3P%), +6 on-off on a 65-win team
F Kevin Garnett '05: 22/14/6/2/1, +10 BPM (led league), All-D 1st, All-NBA 2nd
C Shaquille O'Neal '95: 29/11/3/3, 58 FG%, All-NBA 2nd, 2nd in MVP
C Marcin Gortat '09: 11/13/2 per 36, 57% FG%

Picks and FGA:
Spoiler:
Round 1: Garnett (MIN, 16.6)
Round 2: Shaq (ORL, 20.2)
Round 3: McGrady (ORL, 24.2)
Round 4: Kidd (DAL, 8.4)
Round 5: Tucker (HOU, 5.4)
Round 6: Mann (LAC, 6.5)
Round 7: Ingles (UTA, 3.6)
Round 8: Gortat (ORL, 3.0)
Total FGA: 87.9

Rotation:
G Kidd 36 / Mann 12
G McGrady 40 / Mann 8
F Tucker 26 / Ingles 16 / Mann 6
F Garnett 40 / Tucker 8
C Shaq 40 / Gortat 8

About Team Square:
It starts with the Big 3: an elite perimeter #1 who handles and shoots, a dominant interior #1, and one of the greatest defenders of all time who also happens to be a perfect offensive complement. All three are MVP-level and fit perfectly together.

Getting Kidd as the 4th piece was crucial for me. This season in Dallas, he was an all-star and led a 55-win Mavs team in BPM and DBPM. As always, he was a great defender across multiple positions and one of the most creative passers of all time. He had also fixed his jumper by this point and was a high-level three point shooter (43% on over 5 attempts a game).

Our complementary wings – Tucker, Mann, Ingles – bring tough defense and outside shooting, with Mann also proving some north-south dynamism and playmaking off the bench.

Overall, I really want to highlight our rebounding and physicality. Shaq is one of the great offensive rebounders and physical presences of all time. KG is one of the great defensive rebounders and shut-down defenders of all time. Kidd is one of the greatest rebounding guards ever. TMac is huge at 6’9” playing the 2, and Tucker is a brick wall who gets big clutch rebounds every year deep into the playoffs. We’re going to have a massive physical edge on the floor and especially on the glass every night.

Offensively, this team is tough to stop because of the combination of interior dominance, outside shooting (5 players over 37 3P%), and playmaking. The TMac/KG two-man game is not switchable because KG punishes smalls. It’s not trappable, because KG in space is too dangerous in the mid-range, getting to the rim, or throwing lobs to Shaq. You can’t play it straight up because TMac cooks you. You can’t send a third defender off a shooter or off Shaq, because that’s an instant open three or alley-oop. Not a lot to do there.

There’s also no good way to bottle up Shaq here, because between TMac, Kidd, KG, Mann, and Ingles, we have creative passers all over the floor. We can always swing the ball until we find an easy entry pass, a crack behind a fronting defender, or the right angle for the lob.

Defensively, KG probably offers the greatest ever combination of switchability and rim protection. He never got to play with an athletic force like young Shaq at the 5, who makes things even easier on him. Between Tucker, Kidd, and Mann, we also have good options to make life difficult on perimeter players of any size.

vs. uberhikari:
All right, uber built a nice team, but I think we can take this.

Offensively, we go through our big 3 as usual. TMac/KG screen-and-roll with Hakeem unable to leave Shaq is tough. We can bring Penny, Lowry, and Korver into it with screens from Kidd and Tucker as needed, etc. Our shooting and passing makes the whole machine hum.

Shaq was also able to score and defend well against Hakeem in the ‘95 finals, despite the narrative that has built up, averaging 28/13/6 on 61 TS% (to Hakeem’s 33/12/6 on 51 TS%). A while ago, colts18 on the PC board even charted the individual possessions where they guarded each other (viewtopic.php?t=1242882):
colts18 wrote:Here are their stats when they were guarded by each other:
Shaq 32-57 (56.1 FG%), 6-8 FT, 67.3 double teamed%, .578 TS%, 17 assists, 1 O-reb allowed to Hakeem
Hakeem: 31-75 (41.3 FG%), 9-13 FT, 60.2 double teamed%, .446 TS%, 8 assists, 3 O-reb allowed to Shaq

So despite being doubled more often head-to-head, Shaq scored much more efficiently and assisted much more often. (A lot of Hakeem's success came against Grant. Some of that finals loss was on Shaq, but I put more of it on the Magic supporting cast losing all ability to shoot, control the ball, or defend against dribble penetration from the Rockets guards. Of course, Hakeem was awesome too, but it was less about “Hakeem vs Shaq” than people remember.)

Defensively, things are pretty good with KG quarterbacking our D. We start Shaq on Hakeem, who again actually defended Hakeem well head-to-head in the ‘95 finals. When appropriate, we can double with KG or Tucker off of Sheed and Anunoby; while we won't make it easy on them, neither is consistent or high-volume enough from outside to scare us, and KG especially is athletic enough to make that recovery scary.

Otherwise, KG on Sheed takes away a big post-up threat. Tucker on Penny – Penny also really liked to post up guards and Tucker’s strength makes that difficult. Kidd will also start on Lowry but take time on Penny if needed, so we have some excellent options there. TMac on Anunoby. These matchups are all flexible and we are not scared to switch 1-4 if needed.

Overall, I just don’t think uber scores efficiently enough on us to catch up on the other end. We have three of the four best players on the floor, and I think that will tell.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,856

Post#3 » by uberhikari » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:05 pm

PG: 2018 Kyle Lowry: 16-6-7, 7.6 3PA, 39.9 3P%; All-Star
SG: 1996 Penny Hardaway: 22-4-7; All-NBA 1st, MVP(3)
SF: 2020 OG Anunoby: 11 ppg, 3.3 3PA, 39 3P%, 60 TS%
PF: 2003 Rasheed Wallace: 18-7, 4.1 3PA, 35.8 3P%
C: 1993 Hakeem Olajuwon: 26-13-4; All-NBA 1st, All-Defense 1st, MVP(2), DPOY

Bench
SG/SF: 2015 Kyle Korver: 12 ppg, 6 3PA, 49.2 3P%; All-Star
SF/PF: 2021 Robert Covington: 9-7, 5.1 3PA, 37.9 3P%
C: 2014 Steven Adams: 3-4, 54 TS%

Rotations
PG: Kyle Lowry (38) / Penny Hardaway (10)
SG: Penny Hardaway (28) / Kyle Korver (20)
SF: OG Anunoby (34) / Kyle Korver (7) / Robert Covington (7)
PF: Rasheed Wallace (36) / Robert Covington (12)
C: Hakeem Olajuwon (39) / Steven Adams (9)

Matchups: Lowry on Kidd; Anunoby on McGrady; Penny on Tucker; Wallace on KG; Hakeem on Shaq.

While Square has the advantage in top-end talent, my team is much more balanced and I have a significantly better bench, especially with Terence Mann playing most of his minutes at backup PG. Moreover, my biggest advantage is that Square has no one to guard Penny. 2018 PJ Tucker on Penny is suicide, as Tucker was playing most of his minutes at PF.

On defense, I match up very well. Hakeem will be able to patrol the paint and Wallace can provide additional rim protection anytime KG is not operating in the mid-range. Plus, OG is a great POA defender, so I don't fear T-Mac's drives all that much.

Square's strategy to attack in the P&R strikes me as odd because I don't have any weak defenders. Even Penny wasn't a weak defender. Moreover, PJ Tucker is useless as a screener because he rarely shoots above-the-break 3's and he's bad at it.

On offense, is where I have the biggest advantage. Penny was an elite rebounder as a PG so my offense starts with him in transition. There is simply no way Tucker can keep up with Penny on the fastbreak or in the open court. And in the halfcourt, I don't even need to screen for Penny because Tucker might as well be a traffic cone. And I don't think the kind of pressure Penny can put on Square's defense is survivable, not even with KG because Wallace is a legitimate offensive threat.

Finally, Korver off the bench presents another defensive nightmare for Square. Terence Mann is not some elite off-ball defender and neither was 36-year-old Kidd at this point in his career. So, any lineup that features Penny & Korver allows me to attack with Penny or bomb 3s with Korver.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,612

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:19 pm

Kidd/Tmac/Tucker isn't even really worse than Lowry/Penny/Anunoby, albeit uber has the best bench perimeter player than Korver. Not enough to make up for Square having KG and Shaq vs Hakeem and Sheed. Vote Square.
lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,298

Post#5 » by lilroddyb » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:27 pm

awesome teams guys

I like the fit on both teams. Square has the top end talent while Uber has the depth advantage overall.

Pretty even teams overall imo. I think the matchup slightly favors Uber With OG being elite defender to throw at TMac while Penny will have easier time operating

Vote Uber
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#6 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:52 am

Votes please.
flaco wrote:...

Fadeaway_J wrote:...

Snakebites wrote:...

Larry_Russell wrote:...

durantbird wrote:...
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,853

Post#7 » by Fadeaway_J » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:07 am

This is a tough one. Square's big three obviously stands out in this draft in terms of talent and fit (KG and Shaq in particular complement each other excellently). I actually do see a clear advantage for uber on the perimeter; Lowry is a level above old Kidd and gives uber an additional off-the-dribble threat, and while OG isn't some offensive star, he isn't as one-dimensional as Tucker while being a superior defender. Square makes a good point about Tucker taking away Penny's post game, that's more of an ancillary element compared to his explosiveness off the bounce which I don't think Tucker is equipped to handle. I can see OG making things tough on T-Mac, who is shouldering a heavy creation burden for Square.

I ultimately feel there are too many limited players (Kidd, Tucker, Mann, 2016 Ingles) getting rotation minutes for Square compared to the Penny/Lowry backcourt plus Korver's movement shooting off the bench. Just a bit too much is riding on T-Mac for my liking.

Vote: uberhikari
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,187

Post#8 » by durantbird » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:54 am

I like the Hakeem-Sheed frontcourt versus Shaq-KG, and OG vs McGrady. Uber's depth compensates for top end talent differences.

Vote uber
Square
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#9 » by Square » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:08 pm

Okay, good game Uber. Nice team.
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#10 » by Laimbeer » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:42 pm

Uber advances.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,856

Re: Two Rings or Less Draft : Semis uberhikari* vs Square 

Post#11 » by uberhikari » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:49 pm

GG Square. I did not see myself winning this. But I had some hope because of the Penny mismatch.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,612

Re: Two Rings or Less Draft : Semis uberhikari* vs Square 

Post#12 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:33 pm

Need votes in the other matchup please

Return to Trades and Transactions Games