Multi Franchise States Draft - SF2 - flaco* vs Dr Positivity

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Multi Franchise States Draft - SF2 - flaco* vs Dr Positivity 

Post#1 » by durantbird » Mon Mar 4, 2024 11:09 am

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on their roster page).

**First to 3 votes advances**

flaco wrote:

Dr Positivity wrote:
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,576

Re: Multi Franchise States Draft - SF2 - flaco vs Dr Positivity 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:47 pm

PG: Chris Paul (2017: 12.9 FGA)
SG: Kobe Bryant (2008: 20.6 FGA)
SF: P.J. Tucker (2018: 5.4 FGA)
PF: Elton Brand (2006: 18.2 FGA)
C: David Robinson (2000: 12.9 FGA)

PG/SG: Charlie Ward (2001: 6.1 FGA)
SF: Vince Carter (2012: 8.9 FGA)
PF: Kyle Anderson (2017: 2.9 FGA = 3.0

88 / 88

PG: Chris Paul (38) / Charlie Ward (10)
SG: Kobe Bryant (30) / Charlie Ward (18)
SF: Vince Carter (30) / P.J. Tucker (10) / Kobe Bryant (8)
PF: P.J. Tucker (22) / Kyle Anderson (8) / Elton Brand (18)
C: Elton Brand (20) / David Robinson (28)

Defensive matchups: Paul on Kidd, Kobe on Butler, Tucker on Durant, Vince on KCP, Brand on Porzingis. Kobe doesn't spend the whole game on Butler since we still have a decent amount of double big minutes which would free up Tucker, and Vince can spend a few minutes on him.

We switched up our lineup here to deal with tricky flaco matchup. I consider Brand this year to be a better defender than Mavs Porzingis, so I don't really see why our D would hold up much less than flaco's, other than maybe Vince having less impact on that end than Durant. Meanwhile we take it to Porzingis on the other end by putting him in the PNR in the Paul/Brand pick and roll/pick and pop with elite spacing around them. Our starting lineup on offense is overall more balanced by having much stronger guard play combined with the frontcourt scorer that they both should fit well with, giving us a bigger offensive margin than his slight defensive advantage. Having Robinson off the bench along with a strong 7th man in Ward counters his excellent depth. Since he is playing Ibaka for 30 minutes off the bench a decent amount of our Brand/Robinson minutes will come against two bigs. Paul and Kobe's fit isn't much worse than Durant and Butler who could also take turns as creating wings, while I'd take the rest of our team with Brand and Robinson over Kidd and Porzingis and only slightly worse role depth.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:24 pm

flaco wrote:
flaco
Veteran
And1: 873

Post#4 » by flaco » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:27 pm

Best of luck, Dr P!

Rotation
PG: Jason Kidd (36) / Alex Caruso (12)
SG: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (24) / JJ Redick (24)
SF: Jimmy Butler (36) / Kentavious Caldwell-Pope (12)
PF: Kevin Durant (36) / Serge Ibaka (12)
C: Kristaps Porzingis (30) / Serge Ibaka (18)

Offense
KD and KP shoot at will from the perimeter. Tucker and Brand aren't tall/long enough to contest their shots. Butler slashes to the basket. He excels at absorbing contact as evidenced by his FTr of 62.5% in his selected season. With so much space in the paint, he should be unstoppable. Kidd spams the PnP. He keeps everyone involved, hence he keeps everyone happy. At that point in his career, he had become a reliable volume 3pt shooter averaging a 3PAr of 61.7%. JJ and Ibaka provide even more shooting ability off the bench.

Defense
Porzingis drops, but stays close enough ro Brand/DRob to deny the mid-range 2. Ibaka switches. KCP, Kidd and Caruso are my POA defenders. They go over the pick against CP3 and dare him to either shoot the long 2 off the dribble (with the POA defender trying to contest the shot from behind) or attack the basket against Porzingis/Ibaka. Wing D should be strong with six switchable defenders on the roster including my Point Guards who are both oversized at their position. For instance, Kidd did a great job on LeBron in the 2011 Finals. I'd expect him to hold his own if switched on Kobe.

FGA
2017 Kevin Durant 16.5 Image Image Image Image
2023 Jimmy Butler 13.9 Image
2010 Jason Kidd 8.4 Image
2020 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 7.3 Image
2021 Kristaps Porzingis 15.9
2020 Alex Caruso 4.5 Image
2017 Serge Ibaka 12.4
2012 JJ Redick 9.0

Total: 87.9
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Mar 5, 2024 7:13 pm

Ready for votes here
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by durantbird » Tue Mar 5, 2024 9:18 pm

I feel like flaco has a bit better synergy with Dr P's 2 of the best 4 players being interior oriented, and I don't see any significant factor to sway me the other way around. Vince was an unfortunate mistaken pick but even though Dr P recovered, I'm still not a fan of that much minutes for his Dallas version.

Vote flaco
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,824

Post#7 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Mar 5, 2024 10:25 pm

Apparently I'm on an island with this, but I remain low on a backcourt with as little offensive juice as old Kidd and KCP, even more so in contrast with Kobe/CP3. Conversely, this is a far from ideal series for Robinson, and even with him coming off the bench that frontcourt will have stretches where it gets spaced out. The decider for me is that outside of bombing threes (where his accuracy is rather erratic) I don't see Porzingis being able to do much of anything offensively against Brand or Robinson, and he's also vulnerable defending the CP3-Brand two-man game out in space. To me that puts too much pressure on KD and Butler to carry the scoring load.

Vote: Dr Positivity
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by durantbird » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:02 am

lilroddyb wrote:

Larry_Russell wrote:

uberhikari wrote:

MadNess wrote:

Snakebites wrote:

Laimbeer wrote:
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,833

Post#9 » by uberhikari » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:57 am

Dr P has the more talented team but two things concern me: 2017 CP3 and 30 minutes for Vince Carter. While I agree with Fade that there's a substantial scoring burden on Butler and KD, I think PJ Tucker will get smoked by peak KD. Plus, Kidd was still a fantastic passer into his post-prime years and I can see him unlocking Porzingis, Reddick, and Ibaka. Ultimately this just seems like a bad defensive matchup for Dr P. Vote: flaco
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#10 » by Laimbeer » Wed Mar 6, 2024 11:51 pm

I'd agree older DRob and Brand as a pairing are problematic. I don't focus on benches a lot, but Vince playing this many minutes is an effort to cover the lack of depth.

Vote - flaco
durantbird
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by durantbird » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:48 am

flaco advances
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Re: Multi Franchise States Draft - SF2 - flaco* vs Dr Positivity 

Post#12 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:21 pm

I liked my team post mistake but I knew a spacing matchup like flaco's would be an Achilles heel

Return to Trades and Transactions Games