Put Them Over the Top Draft- Discussion Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

lilroddyb
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,286

Re: Put Them Over the Top Draft- Discussion Thread 

Post#161 » by lilroddyb » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:28 pm

Really fun draft imo. Always fun to draft multiple players at a same time and getting some new seasons for some of the usual guys

Snakebites wrote:
I didn't really expect Roddy to take the Sonics- that really surprised me. I wasn't sure what he was planning though.

I had some problems finding the best fit around my duo. I thought about KG like you did but really didn't like the depth around him and other groups I saw major issues like traditional centers don't really fit well with Arvydas so groups like Ewing knicks, Mark Gasol grizzlies, Embiid etc.. Jamal Murray is also kind of hard to find the right fit so I didn't go for groups like Luka and Brunson so in the end I convinced myself that Sonics were an decent fit overall. Really strong core that played really well vs the bulls and not to bad spacing wise overall with Jamal and Sabonis with them
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#162 » by Laimbeer » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:35 pm

flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:We could just ditch the ''no rings'' rule.

One all-NBA 1st teamer per core: No Magic-Kareem, Steph-KD, Jordan-Pippen, Shaq-Kobe, Timmy-DRob-Kawhi, Kareem-Oscar, Moses-Dr J, Wilt-West, LeBron-Wade, etc.

I like Colb's idea ''of needing 3 starters from the core''. We'd probably have to set a minutes requirement though, otherwise we could bypass that rule by starting a bench-calibre player for limited minutes.

Steph/Klay/Dray would be a pretty overpowered core- and other teams wouldn’t even be able to pair up All-NBA first team guys to try and go against that.

Fair enough, the Warriors are very strong indeed. KG-Pierce-Ray and Timmy-Manu-Parker would have been fairly good as well. Can't think of other trios at that level.

LeBron/Wade/Bosh and Jordan/Pippen/Rodman. Running it back to the 80s would help too with Bird and Magic. Maybe the current Bucks and Nuggets? I like the concept, anyway.
flaco
Starter
And1: 866

Post#163 » by flaco » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:58 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Steph/Klay/Dray would be a pretty overpowered core- and other teams wouldn’t even be able to pair up All-NBA first team guys to try and go against that.

Fair enough, the Warriors are very strong indeed. KG-Pierce-Ray and Timmy-Manu-Parker would have been fairly good as well. Can't think of other trios at that level.

LeBron/Wade/Bosh and Jordan/Pippen/Rodman. Running it back to the 80s would help too with Bird and Magic. Maybe the current Bucks and Nuggets? I like the concept, anyway.

Assuming we allowed only one 1st teamer per core, only the Bucks and Nuggets cores would have been eligible.

Snake proposed we should relax the restrictions and limit the core to a single championship. I think it's a good idea. Still, the 2008 Celtics with KG-Pierce-Ray and Posey off the bench cost only 46.7 FGA. You can then add one more star cause Pierce-Ray never made the all-NBA first-team. Not sure whether it's OP, but it seems a very strong team tbh.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#164 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 pm

flaco wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
flaco wrote:Fair enough, the Warriors are very strong indeed. KG-Pierce-Ray and Timmy-Manu-Parker would have been fairly good as well. Can't think of other trios at that level.

Assuming we allowed only one 1st teamer per core, only the Bucks and Nuggets cores would have been eligible.

Snake proposed we should relax the restrictions and limit the core to a single championship. I think it's a good idea. Still, the 2008 Celtics with KG-Pierce-Ray and Posey off the bench cost only 46.7 FGA. You can then add one more star cause Pierce-Ray never made the all-NBA first-team. Not sure whether it's OP, but it seems a very strong team tbh.

What if you can't pick them the year that they won?

That takes some of the fangs out of that trio, doesn't it?
flaco
Starter

Post#165 » by flaco » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 pm

Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

Strong, but with no access to the best exception players, since that would have to be pick number one.

How useful is being able to take an All NBA First teamer at that point?

That said I'm 100 percent open to different options if people don't like that one.

Off the top of my head, here are some stars who never won MVP and are unlikely to be part of a highly-coveted core: Pippen (can't pair him with MJ, one 1st teamer per core), Reggie, Klay, Butler, George, AD, Ewing, Lillard, Luka, Dwight, T-Mac, Vince Carter.

It doesn't even have to be a popular star. Let's say Ewing ''falls'' to Boston. Sitting at 46.7 FGA for 4 players they can certainly afford him. They suddenly have Ewing instead of Kendrick Perkins. Seems like a GG from round 2 tbh. :o

If you guys think it's a viable pool, I'm happy to play though.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#166 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:54 pm

flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:Assuming we allowed only one 1st teamer per core, only the Bucks and Nuggets cores would have been eligible.

Strong, but with no access to the best exception players, since that would have to be pick number one.

How useful is being able to take an All NBA First teamer at that point?

That said I'm 100 percent open to different options if people don't like that one.

Off the top of my head, here are some stars who never won MVP and are unlikely to be part of a highly-coveted core: Pippen (can't pair him with MJ, one 1st teamer per core), Reggie, Klay, Butler, George, AD, Ewing, Lillard, Luka, Dwight, T-Mac, Vince Carter.

It doesn't even have to be a popular star. Let's say Ewing ''falls'' to Boston. Sitting at 46.7 FGA for 4 players they can certainly afford him. They suddenly have Ewing instead of Kendrick Perkins. Seems like a GG from round 2 tbh. :o

If you guys think it's a viable pool, I'm happy to play though.

Does preventing the championship season in particular from being selected take enough of the teeth out of that core?

If it's 2009 or 2010 instead? All 3 of the big three were clearly in their best Celtic years in 2008.
Fifii
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#167 » by Fifii » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:59 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Fifii wrote:PG: Chris Paul (11.3) , Derek Fisher (9.5)
SG: Devin Booker (20.9)
SF: Mikal Bridges (10.5) , Tony Allen (6.8)
PF: Pau Gasol (12.9)
C: DeAndre Ayton (12.0) / Bo Outlaw (4.1)

FG : 88/88

PG: Chris Paul 33 / Derek Fisher 15
SG: Devin Booker 36 / Tony Allen 12
SF: Mikal Bridges 34 / Tony Allen 14
PF: Pau Gasol 37 / Bo Outlaw 11
C: DeAndre Ayton 30 / Bo Outlaw 18

Make sure you indicate seasons for your players. It's clear you have them selected- just make sure the years are on the roster page.

I added them
flaco
Starter

Post#168 » by flaco » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:01 pm

Snakebites wrote:Kevon Looney?

Surely there was a low FGA Celtic that could have gone in that spot.

Lol, just saw that. :lol:

Wanted to select Timelord, but Laimbeer took him in round 4.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#169 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

I believe everyone has posted their roster.

Play-in coming soon.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#170 » by Snakebites » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 pm

There were 10 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Square
Fadeaway_J
lilroddyb
Larry_Russell

Snakebites
Fifii
Dr Positivity
Laimbeer
Colbini
Flaco
IP: 2600:1700:e540:42a0:992f:a5c2:366b:80a6
Timestamp: 2024-03-18 23:22:48 UTC

Plan-in:

Square Vs Larry_Russell
Fadeaway_J vs lilroddyb
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Post#171 » by durantbird » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:04 am

Laimbeer's team is actually illegal because Timelord lacks minimum games the chosen season

Laimbeer wrote:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#172 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:27 pm

durantbird wrote:Laimbeer's team is actually illegal because Timelord lacks minimum games the chosen season

Laimbeer wrote:

Okay. I'll post the matchups. Laimbeer needs to find a way to change around his FGA to make his team legal, then post his writeup before the 24 hours is up.

Thanks for catching this.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#173 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:28 pm

There were 8 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Fadeaway_J
Snakebites
Square
Fifii
Flaco
Laimbeer
Dr Positivity
Colbini

IP: 2600:1700:e540:42a0:1dc4:b6d7:c129:4264
Timestamp: 2024-03-19 13:27:38 UTC

Matchups:

Fadeaway_J vs Colbini
Snakebites vs Dr P
Square vs Laimbeer
Fifii vs Flaco
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#174 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 pm

Snakebites wrote:
durantbird wrote:Laimbeer's team is actually illegal because Timelord lacks minimum games the chosen season

Laimbeer wrote:

Okay. I'll post the matchups. Laimbeer needs to find a way to change around his FGA to make his team legal, then post his writeup before the 24 hours is up.

Okay, either he already fixed it when I checked or you're mistaken.

He has 2021 in which Williams played 51 games.

Though Laimbeer, you have it listed as 4.9 FGA when its 5.0. Shouldn't matter as I think you have enough but yeah.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Post#175 » by durantbird » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Though Laimbeer, you have it listed as 4.9 FGA when its 5.0. Shouldn't matter as I think you have enough but yeah.

OK sorry the FGA was confusing. I looked on the FGA instead of the year.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#176 » by Laimbeer » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:34 pm

durantbird wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Okay. I'll post the matchups. Laimbeer needs to find a way to change around his FGA to make his team legal, then post his writeup before the 24 hours is up.

OK sorry the FGA was confusing. I looked on the FGA instead of the year.

I did change it at one point when I discovered I could use another season of Bane. Not sure how I managed to screw up Williams. :lol:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#177 » by Snakebites » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:13 am

There were 4 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Flaco
Colbini
Dr Positivity
Laimbeer

IP: 2600:1012:b1aa:35d9:c4f1:f2f1:e29:f95f