durantbird vs Larry_Russell
MadNess vs Dr Positivity
lilroddyb vs parsnips33
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,614

Re: Shaq Franchises Draft - Discussion 

Post#122 » by parsnips33 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:13 pm

parsnips33 wrote:Strongly considered a different center over Bynum but I think I needed some real size inside considering I'm going with K Love as the other 5

This was Adebayo. Kinda suprised he didn't get taken by anybody
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

Post#123 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:41 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:Strongly considered a different center over Bynum but I think I needed some real size inside considering I'm going with K Love as the other 5

Bam is tricky. He's great in a switching system, but it's not so easy to build that kind of team in most drafts, and he isn't an amazing post defender or shotblocker. Offensively, he's a Jack of all trades master of none kind of guy. You need to build with a particular approach in mind to get the best out of him, which is why he isn't picked as frequently as his talent would indicate.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,614

Post#124 » by parsnips33 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:15 pm

Fadeaway_J wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

Bam is tricky. He's great in a switching system, but it's not so easy to build that kind of team in most drafts, and he isn't an amazing post defender or shotblocker. Offensively, he's a Jack of all trades master of none kind of guy. You need to build with a particular approach in mind to get the best out of him, which is why he isn't picked as frequently as his talent would indicate.

Kinda my thinking. Feels like he'd pretty much be a 4 in most of these drafts given his size, and people probably are more inclined to get a floor spacer at that position.
flaco
Starter
And1: 866

Post#125 » by flaco » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:37 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:

Kinda my thinking. Feels like he'd pretty much be a 4 in most of these drafts given his size, and people probably are more inclined to get a floor spacer at that position.

I don't think you counter a guy like Shaq/Wilt with size. No matter whom you select, he'll be overpowered by Shaq. The modern game is all about pace and space. I think the best approach is to run Shaq off the court by a) attacking before the D is set around him, b) spreading the floor and forcing him to defend the perimeter and c) spamming the PnR and forcing him to defend in space. Thing is, the majority of voters believe the optimal way to counter Shaq is by drafting another behemoth of your own and letting them battle it out in the paint. Since our games are won by vote, it may be wise to go with the consensus. Personally, I'd almost never use Bam at the 4. His biggest strength is he can defend 1 through 5. It's way easier to find a switchable PF than to find a switchable Center.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,789

Post#126 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:44 pm

flaco wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:Bam is tricky. He's great in a switching system, but it's not so easy to build that kind of team in most drafts, and he isn't an amazing post defender or shotblocker. Offensively, he's a Jack of all trades master of none kind of guy. You need to build with a particular approach in mind to get the best out of him, which is why he isn't picked as frequently as his talent would indicate.

I don't think you counter a guy like Shaq/Wilt with size. No matter whom you select, he'll be overpowered by Shaq. The modern game is all about pace-and-space. I think the best approach is to run Shaq off the court by a) attacking before the D is set around him, b) spreading the floor and forcing him to defend the perimeter and c) spamming the PnR and forcing him to defend in space. Thing is, the majority of voters believe the optimal way to counter Shaq is by drafting another behemoth of your own and letting them battle it out in the paint. Since our games are won by vote, it may be wise to go with the consensus. Personally, I'd almost never use Bam at the 4. His biggest strength is he can defend 1 through 5. It's way easier to find a switchable PF than to find a switchable Center.

Actually, I generally prefer your method of dealing with Shaq. The problem is, Bam isn't some amazing pick-and-roll player either, nor is he a great floor spacer who can drag Shaq away from the basket. There are better options for that strategy even among more conventional bigs.

I agree Bam should play the 5 regardless though.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,893

Post#127 » by Colbinii » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:49 pm

I view bam at the five is similar to smart or white at the point guard position where they get optimized and impact at those positions and if they're playing a position next to it like shooting guard or power forward, some of their impact is not fully realized.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Post#128 » by durantbird » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 pm

There were 4 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

parsnips33
Larry_Russell
Fadeaway_J
MadNess

Timestamp: 2024-03-28 20:14:17 UTC

parsnips33 vs Larry_Russell