East Cross Era Duos - Discussion

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,614

Re: East Cross Era Duos - Discussion 

Post#141 » by parsnips33 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:53 pm

I thought strongly about Raptors Bosh at center with either Lowry or trying to snag Nets Deron Williams who I always feel is a bit underrated.

Didn't feel like enough juice to be interesting tbh and Giannis/Chuck just seems like fun even though I know I'm gonna get dinged for all the usual spacing concerns
flaco
Starter
And1: 866

Post#142 » by flaco » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:20 pm

durantbird wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:I guess I'll add him on my list for future games. The starting-calibre stretch Center pool is surprisingly thin. Wemby, Chet and low-cost Zinger should spice things up once the 2024 season becomes available.

In most games there are enough centers.

This one was tougher without Gasol and with pairs making it harder to use certain guys.

Gasol was available in his Raptors season in 20'. Though he suffered from relative lack of early Raptors guys, like Lowry. The only pre 2010 Raptor was Peterson. I heavily considered Lowry and Doug Christie with my last pick - Raptors Christie is overlooked though he is pretty useful and his mixed Knicks Raptors season is also cheap.

Was 1996 Christie eligible to be paired with a Raptors player? He played a total of 55 games, but only 32 of them were for the Raps. I assumed the minimum was 41 games.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,790

Post#143 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:23 pm

flaco wrote:
durantbird wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
In most games there are enough centers.

This one was tougher without Gasol and with pairs making it harder to use certain guys.

Gasol was available in his Raptors season in 20'. Though he suffered from relative lack of early Raptors guys, like Lowry. The only pre 2010 Raptor was Peterson. I heavily considered Lowry and Doug Christie with my last pick - Raptors Christie is overlooked though he is pretty useful and his mixed Knicks Raptors season is also cheap.

Was 1996 Christie eligible to be paired with a Raptors player? He played a total of 55 games, but only 32 of them were for the Raps. I assumed the minimum was 41 games.

The rule has always been at least 41 games total, with the majority being for the chosen team.

I didn’t catch that season being available either.
flaco
Starter

Post#144 » by flaco » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:32 pm

Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:
durantbird wrote:Gasol was available in his Raptors season in 20'. Though he suffered from relative lack of early Raptors guys, like Lowry. The only pre 2010 Raptor was Peterson. I heavily considered Lowry and Doug Christie with my last pick - Raptors Christie is overlooked though he is pretty useful and his mixed Knicks Raptors season is also cheap.

The rule has always been at least 41 games total, with the majority being for the chosen team.

I didn’t catch that season being available either.

I missed that season too cause I didn't know the rule. Thanks for the clarification!
flaco
Starter

Post#145 » by flaco » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:47 pm

parsnips33 wrote:I thought strongly about Raptors Bosh at center with either Lowry or trying to snag Nets Deron Williams who I always feel is a bit underrated.

Didn't feel like enough juice to be interesting tbh and Giannis/Chuck just seems like fun even though I know I'm gonna get dinged for all the usual spacing concerns

Considered him too since he's a proven fit with LeBron. Lowry-EJ-LeBron-Bosh would have been a well-fitting core. Problem with Bosh has always been his average defense. You can ''hide'' him at the 4, but then you'll most likely end up with 2 drop bigs which is an issue against perimeter-oriented offenses. Another thing is, Raps Bosh is less apealing compared to the Miami version. He didn't have 3pt range yet, plus he's relatively more expensive. Still, I was kinda surprised he was left on the board.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#146 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:50 pm

flaco wrote:
parsnips33 wrote:I thought strongly about Raptors Bosh at center with either Lowry or trying to snag Nets Deron Williams who I always feel is a bit underrated.

Considered him too since he's a proven fit with LeBron. Lowry-EJ-LeBron-Bosh would have been a well-fitting core. Problem with Bosh has always been his average defense. You can ''hide'' him at the 4, but then you'll most likely end up with 2 drop bigs which is an issue against perimeter-oriented offenses. Another thing is, Raps Bosh is less apealing compared to the Miami version. He didn't have 3pt range yet, plus he's relatively more expensive. Still, I didn't expect him to end up undrafted.

I tried Bosh with Lowry/EJ/Lebron and shooting everywhere.

Nobody buys Bosh as a center, even when he’s surrounded by Lebron/EJ/Lowry as defenders. And that was Miami Bosh, who I thought was a pretty good defender.

I’d like to do this premise with the West. Better point guard and bigman pool. Worse wing pool.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,792

Post#147 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:54 pm

flaco wrote:

Considered him too since he's a proven fit with LeBron. Lowry-EJ-LeBron-Bosh would have been a well-fitting core. Problem with Bosh has always been his average defense. You can ''hide'' him at the 4, but then you'll most likely end up with 2 drop bigs which is an issue against perimeter-oriented offenses. Another thing is, Raps Bosh is less apealing compared to the Miami version. He didn't have 3pt range yet, plus he's relatively more expensive. Still, I didn't expect him to end up undrafted.

He was a good defender in Miami within his specific strengths, but I wasn't able to vouch for his Toronto seasons (I don't recall him being anything special). Maybe I should have paired him with Wade to start - lots of elite bigs ended up falling.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,792

Post#148 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:58 pm

Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:

Nobody buys Bosh as a center.

I’d like to do this premise with the West. Better point guard and bigman pool. Worse wing pool.

Yeah I enjoyed it - harder to build cookie-cutter teams in a pairs draft.
flaco
Starter

Post#149 » by flaco » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:04 pm

Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:

I think I once had some success with Bosh at Center, but I had KG at PF, Pippen at SF and Michael Cooper at SG. That was a nasty defensive trio. I believe that team reached the Finals or something like that.

I bet Bosh would have been stricty a Center in today's game. I think it can work in our games too, but he needs cover from a dominant defensive PF. For instance, KG, Giannis, Rodman, etc.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Post#150 » by durantbird » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:56 am

Laimbeer wrote:

Please complete your roster page

parsnips33 wrote:

Please fill in minutes
MadNESS
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,691

Post#151 » by MadNESS » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:48 am

We gonna do the same game but West now?
LAKESHOW
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,080

Post#152 » by Laimbeer » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:39 pm

flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:Considered him too since he's a proven fit with LeBron. Lowry-EJ-LeBron-Bosh would have been a well-fitting core. Problem with Bosh has always been his average defense. You can ''hide'' him at the 4, but then you'll most likely end up with 2 drop bigs which is an issue against perimeter-oriented offenses. Another thing is, Raps Bosh is less apealing compared to the Miami version. He didn't have 3pt range yet, plus he's relatively more expensive. Still, I didn't expect him to end up undrafted.

I think I once had some success with Bosh at Center, but I had KG at PF, Pippen at SF and Michael Cooper at SG. That was a nasty defensive trio. I believe that team reached the Finals or something like that.

I bet Bosh would have been stricty a Center in today's game. I think it can work in our games too, but he needs cover from a dominant defensive PF. For instance, KG, Giannis, Rodman, etc.

But if you run into Shaq? Also think any great low post center is trouble.
flaco
Starter

Post#153 » by flaco » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:15 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I tried Bosh with Lowry/EJ/Lebron and shooting everywhere.

I don't think you counter a guy like Shaq (or Wilt) with size. No matter whom you select, he'll be overpowered by Shaq. The modern game is all about pace and space. I think the best approach is to run Shaq off the court by a) attacking before the D is set around him, b) spreading the floor and forcing him to defend the perimeter and c) spamming the PnR and forcing him to defend in space. Shaq would score his own, but Bosh would expose him on defense by forcing him to close out on 3s. That said, you obviously need an elite help defender to double on Shaq.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#154 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:21 pm

flaco wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
flaco wrote:I think I once had some success with Bosh at Center, but I had KG at PF, Pippen at SF and Michael Cooper at SG. That was a nasty defensive trio. I believe that team reached the Finals or something like that.

I don't think you counter a guy like Shaq (or Wilt) with size. No matter whom you select, he'll be overpowered by Shaq. The modern game is all about pace and space. I think the best approach is to run Shaq off the court by a) attacking before the D is set around him, b) spreading the floor and forcing him to defend the perimeter and c) spamming the PnR and forcing him to defend in space. Shaq would score his own, but Bosh would expose him on defense by forcing him to close out on 3s. That said, you obviously need an elite help defender to double on Shaq. For instance, KG or Giannis.

Even the 2004 Pistons only “held” Shaq to 27 PPG on 60%TS in the finals. They won by stopping everyone else.

He also swept Duncan/DRob one year.

Even in an era where all the best teams were constructed with big bodied high end defenders (those 2 teams each had 2) there was no reliable counter to Shaq.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,080

Post#155 » by Laimbeer » Fri Apr 5, 2024 3:44 pm

Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

I don't think you counter a guy like Shaq (or Wilt) with size. No matter whom you select, he'll be overpowered by Shaq. The modern game is all about pace and space. I think the best approach is to run Shaq off the court by a) attacking before the D is set around him, b) spreading the floor and forcing him to defend the perimeter and c) spamming the PnR and forcing him to defend in space. Shaq would score his own, but Bosh would expose him on defense by forcing him to close out on 3s. That said, you obviously need an elite help defender to double on Shaq. For instance, KG or Giannis.

Even the 2004 Pistons only “held” Shaq to 27 PPG on 60%TS in the finals. They won by stopping everyone else.

He also swept Duncan/DRob one year.

Even in an era where all the best teams were constructed with big bodied high end defenders (those 2 teams each had 2) there was no reliable counter to Shaq.

But there are degrees to which a player dominates and how much gravity he creates. If you have a credible counter he'll go off a bit less and won't create quite the opportunities for his teammates. And I don't think Bosh is one to stand in and take the punishment the same as a guy like Ben Wallace or Draymond Green would.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Post#156 » by durantbird » Fri Apr 5, 2024 6:59 pm

There were 11 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

Dr Positivity
Larry_Russell
Snakebites
Fadeaway_J
Colbinii
uberhikari