Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,792

Re: East Cross Era Duos - Discussion 

Post#121 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:50 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
flaco wrote:Hate myself already. Was planning to draft Dwight + Lewis in round 2 as well. :lol:

Can't be too picky in pairs drafts. At least Kyrie is a proven fit with LeBron. Really wanted Billups in round 2, but it was a pipe dream.

Kyrie is a great later round selection with LeBron in this game. I thought Chauncey and a bench player in round two was a major reach. Can't see it with point being pretty deep.

It was, I missed my pick and gave up since I worked and then went to see Dune 2.

I also realize every time I play these games I don't care for them anymore since it's the same exact voters every game with the same exact rationale for voting in every single match-up with the same exact player pool of 150 players with each game just selecting to use 80 of those 150 players and making teams with that permutation of exact players we see every game.

Typically by my 1st round pick I am asking myself "Why am I doing this again?" and then miraculously finding the effort to walk towards the light at the end of the tunnel and finish the draft.

I honestly can't remember a time someone picked a player or players and I thought "Wow". Every single draft pick is "Yup, makes sense" or it's more accurately "5 of my Top 6 players went Top 5" or "28 of my Top 30 players went in the first 3 rounds". Really exciting stuff.

This is the unfortunate cycle of declining participation. The games become less interesting, which leads to the same people participating every time, which makes them even less interesting. Also, a smaller group of managers decreases the chances of less familiar names being taken, even if you add more restrictions.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,790

Post#122 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:52 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
flaco wrote:Hate myself already. Was planning to draft Dwight + Lewis in round 2 as well. :lol:

Can't be too picky in pairs drafts. At least Kyrie is a proven fit with LeBron. Really wanted Billups in round 2, but it was a pipe dream.

Kyrie is a great later round selection with LeBron in this game. I thought Chauncey and a bench player in round two was a major reach. Can't see it with point being pretty deep.

It was, I missed my pick and gave up since I worked and then went to see Dune 2.

I also realize every time I play these games I don't care for them anymore since it's the same exact voters every game with the same exact rationale for voting in every single match-up with the same exact player pool of 150 players with each game just selecting to use 80 of those 150 players and making teams with that permutation of exact players we see every game.

Typically by my 1st round pick I am asking myself "Why am I doing this again?" and then miraculously finding the effort to walk towards the light at the end of the tunnel and finish the draft.

I honestly can't remember a time someone picked a player or players and I thought "Wow". Every single draft pick is "Yup, makes sense" or it's more accurately "5 of my Top 6 players went Top 5" or "28 of my Top 30 players went in the first 3 rounds". Really exciting stuff.

We’d defintely benefit from new players with different ideas about what makes a good team.

Though it’s also fair to point out that you frequently DON’T “miraculously find the effort” to finish.

I still enjoy them but there is sometimes a somewhat stale feel to them. Not because the games themselves are stale but because we’ve settled into an established meta for how these games go.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#123 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:56 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

We’d defintely benefit from new players with different ideas about what makes a good team.

I still enjoy them but there is sometimes a somewhat stale feel to them. Not because the games themselves are stale but because we’ve settled into an established meta for how these games go.

I think there are still some differing ideas between players, but even with those we all more or less know what they are by now.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#124 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:02 pm

I think it was easier to have new feeling ideas for games a few years ago. As expected as hundreds of them.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#125 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:13 pm

One of the games I look forward to is the one we do every year that incorporates all the players from that season. It forces you to commit to an identity without loading up four or five stars. You'll have more flaws, but you have to try and find strategic ways to accentuate your strengths.
flaco
Starter
And1: 866

Post#126 » by flaco » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:18 pm

uberhikari wrote:I'm pretty sure what happened to flaco is what happened to me in another pairs draft. All the picks makes you think you've reached the round 3/4 turnaround but it's still round 2 and you pick last again in round 3.

Missed out on all my targets, so I figured I'd secure my favorite role players instead.

My initial thoughts were either Kyrie+Parish or Lowry+Bosh/Doug Christie. I then realized there was no rush to grab any of these guys. I could still select them with my next picks. For instance, Lowry, Bosh, Parish and Gilmore ended up being undrafted. I was also targeting Porzingis, but I couldn't find a serviceable second pick from the Wizards apart from old Wes Unseld for around 7 FGA. That's a steep price to pay for a backup Center.

Ness has an amazing team. Hands down the best team in the draft imo.
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,614

Post#127 » by parsnips33 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:30 pm

flaco wrote:
uberhikari wrote:I'm pretty sure what happened to flaco is what happened to me in another pairs draft. All the picks makes you think you've reached the round 3/4 turnaround but it's still round 2 and you pick last again in round 3.

Missed out on all my targets, so I figured I'd secure my favorite role players instead.

My initial thoughts were either Kyrie+Parish or Lowry+Bosh/Doug Christie. I then realized there was no rush to grab any of these guys. I could still select them with my next picks. For instance, Lowry, Bosh and Gilmore ended up being undrafted. I was also targeting Porzingis, but I couldn't find a serviceable second pick from the Wizards apart from old Wes Unseld for around 7 FGA. That's a steep price to pay for a backup Center.

I had Gilbert Arenas/Porzingis in my head for half a second before I wised up :lol:
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#128 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:32 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
flaco wrote:

My initial thoughts were either Kyrie+Parish or Lowry+Bosh/Doug Christie. I then realized there was no rush to grab any of these guys. I could still select them with my next picks. For instance, Lowry, Bosh and Gilmore ended up being undrafted. I was also targeting Porzingis, but I couldn't find a serviceable second pick from the Wizards apart from old Wes Unseld for around 7 FGA. That's a steep price to pay for a backup Center.

I had Gilbert Arenas/Porzingis in my head for half a second before I wised up :lol:

Zingis was actually part of my original plan with Pippen.
flaco
Starter

Post#129 » by flaco » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:54 pm

Another duo I considered was Middleton+Sikma. Not overly familiar with Sikma's game tbh. Wonder how voters would feel about his defensive game. Judging primarily from his B/R page, he seems like a soft-ish big with T-Rex arms who's effective only in a drop scheme(?). Let's say a rich man's Olynyk(?). His offense should have translated in the modern era since he was a reliable shooter. He even led the league in FT% in 1988.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#130 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:16 pm

flaco wrote:Another duo I considered was Middleton+Sikma. Not overly familiar with Sikma's game tbh. Wonder how voters would feel about his defensive game. Judging primarily from his B/R page, he seems like a soft-ish big with T-Rex arms who's effective only in a drop scheme(?). Let's say a rich man's Olynyk(?). His offense should have translated in the modern era since he was a reliable shooter. He even led the league in FT% in 1988.

I can’t imagine just looking at him that he was a guy who could switch on defense.

Based on stats and general reputation in guessing he was a pretty good interior defender. Sonic’s version seemed able to hold his own.

Are we going to do this for the west?
flaco
Starter

Post#131 » by flaco » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:21 pm

Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:Another duo I considered was Middleton+Sikma. Not overly familiar with Sikma's game tbh. Wonder how voters would feel about his defensive game. Judging primarily from his B/R page, he seems like a soft-ish big with T-Rex arms who's effective only in a drop scheme(?). Let's say a rich man's Olynyk(?). His offense should have translated in the modern era since he was a reliable shooter. He even led the league in FT% in 1988.

I can’t imagine just looking at him that he was a guy who could switch on defense.

Based on stats and general reputation in guessing he was a pretty good interior defender. Sonic’s version seemed able to hold his own.

I guess I'll add him on my list for future games. The starting-calibre stretch Center pool is surprisingly thin. Wemby, Chet and low-cost Zinger should spice things up once the 2024 season becomes available.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#132 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:35 pm

flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

I guess I'll add him on my list for future games. The starting-calibre stretch Center pool is surprisingly thin. Wemby, Chet and low-cost Zinger should spice things up once the 2024 season becomes available.

In most games there are enough centers.

This one was tougher without Gasol and with pairs making it harder to use certain guys.
flaco
Starter

Post#133 » by flaco » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:42 pm

Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I can’t imagine just looking at him that he was a guy who could switch on defense.

This one was tougher without Gasol and with pairs making it harder to use certain guys.

Was just looking at Wemby's B/R page. He's averaging a BLK% of 10.0! :-o Ranks 4th highest throughout NBA/ABA history behind only 3 seasons of Manute Ball! I know he's only a rookie, but I expect him to be very popular in next season's games.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,869

Post#134 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:44 pm

I know it wont get love, but I do like having a team with some attacking power. I still feel strongly that an inside out team beats an outside in team. But I get that is archaic thinking in 2024
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#135 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:47 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:I know it wont get love, but I do like having a team with some attacking power. I still feel strongly that an inside out team beats an outside in team. But I get that is archaic thinking in 2024

I don’t love the Jordan/Butler fit but I like your team despite it.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#136 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:54 pm

flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:I guess I'll add him on my list for future games. The starting-calibre stretch Center pool is surprisingly thin. Wemby, Chet and low-cost Zinger should spice things up once the 2024 season becomes available.

Was just looking at Wemby's B/R page. He's averaging a BLK% of 10.0! :-o Ranks 4th highest throughout NBA/ABA history behind only 3 seasons of Manute Ball! I know he's only a rookie, but I expect him to be very popular in next season's games.

Kind of wild to have two rookies who are immediately All-Star/All-NBA level. Doesn't happen often in the one-and-done era.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#137 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 4, 2024 7:03 pm

Once Wemby hits his prime he’ll be the number one pick in every draft IMO.

Assuming these games survive in some form until then.

At this rate it’s totally possible they don’t.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,080

Post#138 » by Laimbeer » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:04 pm

Agree that's it's not ideal to have the same judges a lot, but hard to criticize people stepping up when votes are always needed. I've threatened to run a game and assign judges with everyone having about the same number of games. Or even get a few people from outside the game if they'd be willing to do so. That could be really interesting.

We've gotten away from rankings. They had their own shortcomings, but you did have much wider input. And all the burden of judging wasn't on the same few.

All in all I liked this one pretty well and the West version seems like a natural follow-up.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Post#139 » by durantbird » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:25 pm

Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I can’t imagine just looking at him that he was a guy who could switch on defense.

Gasol was available in his Raptors season in 20'. Though he suffered from relative lack of early Raptors guys, like Lowry. The only pre 2010 Raptor was Peterson. I heavily considered Lowry and Doug Christie with my last pick - Raptors Christie is overlooked though he is pretty useful and his mixed Knicks Raptors season is also cheap.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#140 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 4, 2024 8:41 pm

durantbird wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
flaco wrote:I guess I'll add him on my list for future games. The starting-calibre stretch Center pool is surprisingly thin. Wemby, Chet and low-cost Zinger should spice things up once the 2024 season becomes available.

Gasol was available in his Raptors season in 20'. Though he suffered from relative lack of early Raptors guys, like Lowry. The only pre 2010 Raptor was Peterson. I heavily considered Lowry and Doug Christie with my last pick - Raptors Christie is overlooked though he is pretty useful and his mixed Knicks Raptors season is also cheap.

I missed that season or I might have taken him over MoPete.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games