West Cross-Era Duos R1 - Dr Positivity vs. uberhikari*

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,798

West Cross-Era Duos R1 - Dr Positivity vs. uberhikari* 

Post#1 » by Fadeaway_J » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:20 am

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups. Please ensure you give a rationale for your vote; votes with no explanation will not be counted.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on their roster page).

**First to 3 votes advances.**
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,551

Re: West Cross-Era Duos R1 - Dr Positivity vs. uberhikari 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:36 pm

PG: Steve Nash (2005: 11.4 FGA)
SG: Devin Booker (2021: 19.2 FGA)
SF: Mikal Bridges (2021: 9.3 FGA)
PF: Charles Barkley (1993: 18.1 FGA)
C: Tim Duncan (2007: 14.1 FGA)

SF: Danny Green (2017: 6.6 FGA)
SF: Andre Iguodala (2017: 5.5 FGA)
PF: Austin Croshere (2008: 3.1 FGA)

87.3 / 88

PG: Steve Nash (38) / Devin Booker (10)
SG: Devin Booker (28) / Danny Green (20)
SF: Mikal Bridges (22) / Andre Iguodala (26)
PF: Charles Barkley (28) / Mikal Bridges (12) / Austin Croshere (8)
C: Tim Duncan (38) / Charles Barkley (10)

GL uber

Defensive matchups: Nash on Stockton, Booker on Battier, Barkley on Marion, Bridges on Dirk, Duncan on Hakeem. Not perfect but I think he also runs into some trouble like having Marion on Barkley and Dirk on Bridges presumably.

I'll admit that Barkley and Duncan aren't the most perfect fit in the world, but since Barkley is pretty good at jumpers from around 10 feet, I think that can fit ok with him. There is also some overlap between Dirk and Hakeem's turnaround jumpshot game. I realized at some point in my draft I should have considered Robinson over my higher pedigree C, but I think the same can be said of uber.

Otherwise I feel my team is stronger with Nash/Booker/Bridges having a talent advantage over Stockton/Battier/Marion perimeter. Marion is better than Bridges, but is possibly not maximized playing SF beside such a big frontcourt. Our top 4 is phenomenal in talent overall, it's hard enough to guard Nash and Booker shooting/dribbling skill like an improved Paul/Booker, but especially with a high powered frontcourt.

Both teams have a solid 6th and 7th man and a more scrubby pick. I'll point out that Croshere made a career out of being a bench shooting forward on good teams (spending most of his career with the Pacers, Mavs and then this 08 Warriors season), I don't think he is more unplayable than 23 Biyombo. Moreso, by not drafting a backup C it allows me to spend 10 minutes a game with a frontcourt of Barkley at C beside Nash. Likewise Duncan plays all the minutes Barkley sits.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,810

Post#3 » by uberhikari » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:51 am

PG: 1995 John Stockton: 15-12, 3PA 2.8, 44.9 3P%; All-NBA 1st, All-Defense 2nd
SG: 2010 Shane Battier: 8 ppg, 4.2 3PA, 36.2 3P%
SF: 2007 Shawn Marion: 18-10, 59.4 TS%; All-Star, DPOY(4)
PF: 2011 Dirk Nowitzki: 23-7, 2.3 3PA, 39.3 3P%; All-NBA 2nd
C: 1993 Hakeem Olajuwon: 26-13-4; All-NBA 1st, All-NBA 2nd, MVP(2), DPOY

Bench
PG/SG: 2005 Jason Terry: 12 ppg, 3.1 3PA, 42 3P%
SF/PF: 2021 Joe Ingles: 12-4-5, 6.1 3PA, 45.1 3P%; 6MOY(2)
C: 2023 Bismack Biyombo: 4-4, 1.4 blks, 55.5 TS%

Rotations
PG: John Stockton (40) / Jason Terry (8)
SG: Shane Battier (32) / Jason Terry (16)
SF: Shawn Marion (36) / Joe Ingles (12)
PF: Dirk Nowitzki (38) / Joe Ingles (10)
C: Hakeem Olajuwon (40) / Bismack Biyombo (8)

Matchups: Stockton on Nash; Marion/Battier on Booker; Battier/Marion on Bridges; Hakeem on Barkley; Dirk on Duncan.

It may not seem like it, but ironically I have the talent advantage in this matchup. The downgrade from peak Duncan ('03) to late prime Duncan ('07) means I have the two best players in this series. Nash and Stockton are comparable, and I don't think Booker-Iggy-Green is that far off from Marion-Terry-Ingles since Terry could consistently increase his scoring volume in the post-season.

On defense, the critical matchup is Hakeem on Barkley. Olajuwon plays off Barkley just enough so he can't drive to the paint but not enough to give him a runway. This also allows Hakeem to stay closer to the basket to help Dirk on Duncan's post-ups. I don't really care about mid-range jumpers from Barkley.

The bigger problem for Dr P is that there's anti-synergy between Nash-Barkley-Duncan. Nash has no natural P&R or P&P partners (neither Barkley nor Duncan fills that role) and two low-post bigs operating together is a very clunky and inefficient offense. Plus, Barkley was a heavy isolation player who liked to hold the ball which clashes with Nash's frenetic style.

On offense, the major problem for Dr P is that Barkley literally can't guard either Dirk or Hakeem. Barkley being a poor defender is bad enough but either one of Dirk or Hakeem will cook him until he's charred. Add in Stockton's passing and he will be ruthlessly targeted and exploited in this matchup. Whoever Barkley guards will drop an easy 40 on him.

I also don't think Mikal is a great cover for Marion. Bridges had problems with the bigger Doncic and I don't see a reason why he should fare better against a bigger, stronger, freak athlete like Marion whose slashing will be optimized by Stockton's passing.

Overall Dr P's team lacks offensive synergy and this is a pretty bad defensive matchup.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,914

Post#4 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:32 pm

I really like Dr Ps team a lot.

But this is about the worst possible matchup for him.

But I also really dont like Dirk defending Duncan, even if Hakeem is a step away. I think I would have probably put Mariuon on Barkley, Hakeem on Duncan and hid Dirk on the 3rd year Bridges, who was a role player and not an offensive threat at this point in his career.

Barkley and Duncan are for more important covers than Bridges to me at least.

On the other team, I like Barkley defending Marion (31% from 3), and he can play off a bit into the passing lanes, which for Charles was probably his best area of defense.

Bridges will pose a much better threat to Dirk defensively than Barkley which is smart, imo.

And Duncan on Hakeem would be a fun watch.

I think the defensive assignments tips this into Dr P for me, but I really like both teams.
uberhikari
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,810

Post#5 » by uberhikari » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:16 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:Bridges will pose a much better threat to Dirk defensively than Barkley which is smart, imo

I understand your point but Dirk actually defended Duncan in real life. But there is no universe where the 6'6" and 210 lbs Bridges can defend the 7 ft and 245 lbs Dirk. Doncic bullied him in both the mid and low-post in the 2022 playoffs. What do you think Dirk would do to him? Dirk would drop 40 on Bridges just as easily as he'd drop 40 on Barkley. Dirk on Duncan is at least plausible (especially the 07 version) but Bridges on Dirk is totally implausible.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:47 pm

I don't see Bridges being much of a deterrent to 2011 Dirk who was well beyond being bothered by rangy wings. Also agree that Chuck and Nash really aren't very complementary offensive engines. Generally speaking, Dr P has more defensive weak spots with 2021 Booker being below average there in addition to Nash, Chuck, and the Bridges-Dirk mismatch. It won't be pretty, but it feels like uber can grind this one out by being defensively solid and leaning heavily on Dirk.

Vote: uberhikari
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,914

Post#7 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:25 pm

uberhikari wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:Bridges will pose a much better threat to Dirk defensively than Barkley which is smart, imo

I understand your point but Dirk actually defended Duncan in real life. But there is no universe where the 6'6" and 210 lbs Bridges can defend the 7 ft and 245 lbs Dirk. Doncic bullied him in both the mid and low-post in the 2022 playoffs. What do you think Dirk would do to him? Dirk would drop 40 on Bridges just as easily as he'd drop 40 on Barkley. Dirk on Duncan is at least plausible (especially the 07 version) but Bridges on Dirk is totally implausible.

I think bridges will give more against Dirk than Dirk against Duncan is my thought. but its really splitting hairs.
durantbird
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,168

Post#8 » by durantbird » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:03 pm

I agree with Fade. Uber's team feels more suited to the matchup. The pieces for Dr P are great individual talents, but it isn't really the best Nash offense, something doesn't click between Nash Booker Barkley and Duncan.

Vote uberhikari
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:49 pm

Laimbeer wrote:.

Snakebites wrote:.

lilroddyb wrote:.

MadNESS wrote:.

flaco wrote:.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,818

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:48 pm

Mikal might be marginally more affective on Dirk than Barkley, but I can’t imagine it’s by much. Dirk was more of a banger at this stage and I don’t think he was as easily thrown off by smaller defenders as he was in his younger days.

I love Dr P’s offensive perimeter but Uber is will set up to guard it, better than the converse.

I agree the TD downgrade hurts and the fit isn’t quite as crisp.

Vote Uber
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Fadeaway_J » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:22 pm

Uber advances

Return to Trades and Transactions Games