Trade Tourney - Champion: VintaGe36

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Re: Inaugural Trade Tourney - 1st rnd judging almost done! 

Post#81 » by CellarDoor » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:41 pm

1. Kosta vs. 16. bness888
Note: this was my hardest one. I went back and read the other judges qualifiers.

Kosta: I like small and functional trades usually. My one problemswith this one is
Portland in all likelihood won't need a SF by the time this hypothetical is upon us.
Webster's only out til December unless I was misinformed.

bness888: I'm actually becoming an advocate of trading Kirk more and more recently;
however, I'd rather trade him for complete trash and a first then another PF to play
in front of Thomas. The Bulls need to give Tyrus a steady dose of minutes and see if
he's worth keeping or not, this trade commutes the glut from 5 guards to 5 forwards.
That said, Chicago DOES dump salary, so if GSW was down, I think that if they're
underwhelming, Paxon should take this. I intensely question GSW's willingness to take
on Kirk though.

In the end to be honest I don't think either of these trades happen, but Kosta's trade
provides drastically lower consequences (Blake is unguaranteed, Azibuike is a short-ish
deal) for the teams involved.

My vote goes to...Kosta

2. VintaGe36 vs. 15. Jud's Buechlers

Vintage36: Small and functional. I'm not entirely sure it's enough sweetner
to get NOH to bite, but they're one of the few teams who probably isn't
going to be a player in the 2010 FA explosion, so it's close.

Jud's Buchelers: How do they add such minimal filler to Tinsley and turn it
into Haslem? I really can't see Philly doing this deal.

my vote goes to...Vintage36

5. DGrangeRx33 vs. 12. SimonFish
Note: this was another very difficult trade to ajudicate. Good job to both
of you.
DGrangeRx33: The more I see Rose play the more i'm compeltely fine with Hinrich
being dealt in the right deal. I think the Bulls problems begin and end with Ben
Wallace though. (Er, Larry Hughes, similar shooting percentages) We need to either
bury him on the bench or ship him out. This trade forces us to rely on him.
I can't see Sacto giving up the expiring (unguaranteed) Moore to pick up another
back-up PG. Another thing to note is that with Haywood and Gil out, if this trade
happens soon, You've stripped of all depth at C. This is pretty creative though.
I can tell you spent a lot of time tinkering.

SimonFish: I like your trade a lot, actually. I'm a big fan of trading trash
for trash that knows its place and won't complain about low minutes. I've often
wondered if SAS would really give up Oberto for Noc, but sending Gray back fixes
this issue at least somewhat. I also like having a real C on the roster, and
hopefully Simmons could give us some decent minutes at the 3.

My vote goes to...Simonfish
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#82 » by CellarDoor » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:42 pm

VintaGe36 wrote:
Jud's Buechlers wrote:So basically I got screwed by adding the Sixers. I had a trade planned out without the Sixers and the Pacers still getting Haslem. Should have just gone with that I guess... but I thought this was more creative. Oh well.

Not necessarily, if you removed IND, the value goes from great for MIA, to terrible. Trading Tinsley was very hard, very few teams fit the criteria. Your trade was good though.

Vintage pretty well answered it. My biggest problem with your deal was Philadelphia's return, but there wasn't really an easy fix there. This was a hard scenario. It's why Tinsley hasn't been traded yet.
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
Jud's Buechlers
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#83 » by Jud's Buechlers » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:49 pm

CellarDoor wrote:
VintaGe36 wrote:
Jud's Buechlers wrote:So basically I got screwed by adding the Sixers. I had a trade planned out without the Sixers and the Pacers still getting Haslem. Should have just gone with that I guess... but I thought this was more creative. Oh well.

Not necessarily, if you removed IND, the value goes from great for MIA, to terrible. Trading Tinsley was very hard, very few teams fit the criteria. Your trade was good though.

Vintage pretty well answered it. My biggest problem with your deal was Philadelphia's return, but there wasn't really an easy fix there. This was a hard scenario. It's why Tinsley hasn't been traded yet.

Thanks guys. Yeah, it was a difficult scenario. I also almost traded him to the Lakers. Also thought about the Rockets too as a third team instead of Philly. But I had fun preparing this trade and I would be down for another tourney! Good luck Vintage!
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by CellarDoor » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Jud's Buechlers wrote:Thanks guys. Yeah, it was a difficult scenario. I also almost traded him to the Lakers. Also thought about the Rockets too as a third team instead of Philly. But I had fun preparing this trade and I would be down for another tourney! Good luck Vintage!

See the problem is the next tourney I won't be judging, I'll be participating. At that point you may as well just mail it in. :)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,025

Post#85 » by dockingsched » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:57 pm

First round results:

1. Kosta (dcash4, CellarDoor) vs. 16. bness888 (LBJ4MVP23)

8. MJallday59 (LBJ4MVP23, dcash4) vs. 9. nba_addict (CellarDoor)

4. randomhero423 (LBJ4MVP23, dcash4)
vs. 13. The Sixth Man (CellarDoor)

5. DGrangeRx33 (LBJ4MVP23) vs. 12. SimonFish (dcash4, CellarDoor)

3. JHos Hydro (dcash4) vs. 14. sterncohen (CellarDoor, LBJ4MVP23)

6. eitanr (dcash4, CellarDoor) vs. 11. Gremz (LBJ4MVP23)

2. VintaGe36 (LBJ4MVP23, dcash4, CellarDoor) vs. 15. Jud's Buechlers

7. ws26 (CellarDoor, dcash4) vs. 10. skorff26 (LBJ4MVP23)

notes: 2 upsets, the dreaded 5-12 upset and a 14th seed upset. only one sweep, so a highly competitive first round. thanks to all that participated, its very much appreciated.

SECOND ROUND BRACKET

1. Kosta vs. 8. MJallday59

4. randomhero423 vs. 12. SimonFish

2. VintaGe36 vs. 7. ws26

14. sterncohen vs. 6. eitanr

scenarios up in a bit
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Inaugural Trade Tourney - 1st rnd winners announced 

Post#86 » by dockingsched » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:11 pm

2nd round scenarios, "fixing bad fits":

udonis haslem has proven that he can't play center as much as the heat need him to. he needs to play pf. get the heat some help at center.

4. randomhero423 vs. 12. SimonFish

Marcus Camby is not playing effectively at pf next to kaman. he needs to play center. get the clippers a new pf.

2. VintaGe36 vs. 7. ws26

the gasol/bynum combo is not working out like anticipated. some wonder whether it ever will. odom, on the other hand, plays well at pf next to both bynum and gasol. fix the lakers' problem.

al jefferson has shown he is a below avg defender at the 5, now Love is showing the same. both need to defend 4's, fix the wolves problem.

RULES:
- one trade per scenario, no multiple trades
- have the trades in by Saturday morning 9 am pacific
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Jud's Buechlers
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Inaugural Trade Tourney - 2nd rnd scenarios up 

Post#87 » by Jud's Buechlers » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:52 pm

I was the only sweep... haha I swear, I'm not that bad at this guys haha. At least my trade wasn't horrid.
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#88 » by VintaGe36 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:05 pm

^You was also, IIRC the only player to go up against a mod.

I'm also a mod on the TRADE board. haha
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#89 » by CellarDoor » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:49 pm

Careful there vintage, if you hurt your shoulder patting your back you won't be able to type up your next trade ;)
I'm quite interested to see how the Laker's and Wolve's deals turn out.
ws26
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#90 » by ws26 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:13 am

Pumped to up against "The" Vintage.

dcash4 wrote:2. VintaGe36 vs. 7. ws26

the gasol/bynum combo is not working out like anticipated. some wonder whether it ever will. odom, on the other hand, plays well at pf next to both bynum and gasol. fix the lakers' problem.

The first decision that had to be made was who to trade. While Gasol worked in the past with Odom, they were out-muscled and outrebounded. They are the more similar players and both are “finesse” whereas Bynum is more powerful. I thought the Lakers would want to hang onto the younger of the two and Bynum has shown he has lots of potential. Both would have tons of trade value, so that didn’t really factor in much. So Gasol was my choice.

Then I looked at destinations. I thought both Detroit and Chicago could use the silky Euro. I thought that the Lakers would target either a PG upgrade or a do-it-all SF. This led me also to include the Mavs (Howard) and Wizards (Butler), as well as the Heat (Marion).

After considering all the scenarios, I settled on this one:
LA Lakers
Outgoing: Gasol, Fisher
Incoming: Billups, Johnson, Herrman

Detroit
Outgoing: Billups, Johnson, Herrman
Incoming: Gasol, Fisher

Lakers?
As I said before, they should target a PG upgrade or a do-it-all SF. In this trade, they get both. Chauncey knows how to lead a team, and while he hasn’t deferred in a while, he will with Kobe on the squad. Amir shows his potential every game, but unfortunately he can’t get on the court for loaded Detroit. He would prove to be a legitimate starter in the league for LA. He would also help with the team’s eventual youth movement, now with Bynum and Farmar. Hollinger of ESPN has him at 58 in terms of value. Herrman is mostly to match salaries, but can give Luke Walton-like quality minutes.

Detroit?
This may look a little surprising from this side. But I think that they receive great value for their efforts. They talked about a rebuilding and this would be a great way to do it while staying strong. Gasol could easily play C or PF in the East and would be a calming presence next to Wallace. Losing Billups, the leader of this squad, would hurt, but they have Fisher to fill in and school Stuckey on the position, and Wallace and Hamilton are vets that can lead the way. This way they can increase Stuckey’s minutes, eventually handing the keys over to him full-time. Amir wasn’t cracking the rotation, so why not add him into this blockbuster in order to get Fisher? This team would be feared by all opponents in the East.
sterncohen
Bench Warmer
And1: 38

Post#91 » by sterncohen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:50 am

dcash4 wrote:2nd round scenarios, "fixing bad fits":

al jefferson has shown he is a below avg defender at the 5, now Love is showing the same. both need to defend 4's, fix the wolves problem.

Trade ID# 4782859

Minnesota out: Love, Carney, Booth
Minnesota in: Noah, Salmons
Why: Noah is a genuine, defensive-oriented center, with potential close to Love's. Salmons can start alongside Mike Miller on the wing, giving the Timberwolves a strong defender and another offensive option.
Noah / Jefferson / Salmons / M. Miller / Foye

Sacramento out: B. Miller, Salmons, S. Williams
Sacramento in: Love, Carney, Hughes, Booth
Sacramento isn't winning anything anytime soon, and by the time they're contending Brad Miller will be done. They replace him with a PF who will play alongside Hawes at C. Salmons is unhappy coming off the bench, and with Garcia and Donte Greene at SF they benefit from moving out his long-term contract, opening up more cap space to go after a free agent when Hughes's deal expires in 2010.
Hawes / Love / Garcia / Martin / Udrih

Chicago out: Noah, Hughes
Chicago in : B. Miller, S. Williams
Chicago, while still a young team, wants to be back in contention now; they've got a better shot at the playoffs this year and next with Brad Miller than with Noah. They solve the clutter in the backcourt by moving out Hughes, and they give Shelden Williams one last chance to show that he's at least a capable defensive reserve.
B. Miller / T. Thomas or Gooden / Deng / B. Gordon / Hinrich early, Rose later
Kosta
RealGM

Post#92 » by Kosta » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:47 am

udonis haslem has proven that he can't play center as much as the heat need him to. he needs to play pf. get the heat some help at center.

The Pistons have already let it be known that Amir Johnson will start for them, with Jason Maxiell continuing to improve and almost surely to see his minutes rise, with Rasheed still around and newly acquired back-up big Kwame Brown, Antonio McDyess is looking at a drop off in playing time. The Pistons are still looking to win now, but also plan to develop the young guys at the same time. Stuckey, Amir, Maxiell and even Afflalo are going to see more p.t. Dumars is always looking to get better for the future as well as in the present, so if he can get a future asset for McDyess and open up some minutes for his young guys, he won't hesitate to do it. (See Carlos Delfino for two future seconds last off-season).

Pistons ship Dyess to Miami for Tony Battie and Magic's '11 1st (lottery protected)

The Heat need a C, and they'll get one with Dyess. Mark Blount is not starter material and is a black hole in their starting line-up. With Beasley and Marion, Haslem isn't seeing the floor enough in Miami and is too undersized to play significant minutes at the 5, making him expendable.

Heat send Udonis Haslem to Orlando for Antonio McDyess.

Dyess/Marion/Beasley works nice up front, not sure who they pair up Wade with in the b.c.

The Magic need a PF in desperately, although they do like Lewis at the 4, mostly because the lack of depth up front. If they had a viable PF to stick beside Dwight, they would love to slide Lewis back to his natural position at the SF spot and move Turkoglu to SG. Who better then Udonis Haslem, he knows very well how to play beside dominant big men as he and Shaq paired together in the Heat frontcourt during their '06 championship run.

Howard/Haslem/Lewis/Turk/Nelson. Udonis completes their S.L.

No team takes any extra salary past the '09-'10 season in this scenario. McDyess/Haslem and Battie all expire then. Everybody has incentive to make this deal, Heat get their C and free up more time for Beasley. Magic get their true PF next to Dwight which also lets Rashard slide over to SF. The Pistons gets a future 1st, take on no extra salary and free up minutes for the young guys while also getting back a decent vet C.

Pistons trade:

Antonio McDyess $6,813,050

receive: Tony Battie $5,746,000 /Magic '11 1st (lottery protected)

Heat trade: Udonis Haslem $6,575,000

receive:
Antonio McDyess $6,813,050[/color]

Magic trade:
Tony Battie $5,746,000/'11 1st (lottery protected)

receive: Udonis Haslem $6,575,000

Trade ID #4782921

Image Image
SimonFish
General Manager
And1: 2,029

Post#93 » by SimonFish » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:09 am

dcash4 wrote:4. randomhero423 vs. 12. SimonFish

Marcus Camby is not playing effectively at pf next to kaman. he needs to play center. get the clippers a new pf.

LAC trades: Camby, Mobley, Hart
LAC receives: Marion, Cook, Banks

Miami trades: Marion, Cook, Banks
Miami receives: Camby, Mobley, Hart

Why for LAC?

Baron/Banks/Taylor
R.Davis/Gordon/Cook
Thornton/Thomas
Marion/Thomas/Novak
Kaman/Skinner/Jordan/P.Davis

They get a very good PF who fits playing w/ Kaman in trading Camby away. Cook, although temporaily out of condition right now, is younger anc cheaper than Mobley and can fulfill some scoring role out of the bench, (indeed they can start Ricky or Gordon even Mobley is traded). Banks is a veteran force out of the PG spot, if Baron got injured again, at least they can have a reliable PG to replace him.

Why for Miami?

Chalmers/Hart/Livingston
Wade/Mobley/Diawara
Beasley/J.Jones
Haslem/Wright/Padgett
Camby/Blount/Magloire/J.Anthony

They finally fill up their big hole in the center spot since the Oneal trade. They also get rid of Banks contract which can help them bring up their 2010 plan more efficiently, at the same time, also get a veteran PG back in Hart to backup their future starting PG Chalmers. Mobley can be a very good sixth man out of the team, provide extra scoring for the team.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 300

Re: Inaugural Trade Tourney - 2nd rnd up! 4 of 8 scenarios up! 

Post#94 » by eitanr » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:52 pm

cash4 wrote:2nd round scenarios, "fixing bad fits":

Trade with Cleveland:
Mike Miller, Brian Cardinal
for
Anderson Varejo, Eric Snow, and future 2nd rd pick

Why for Cleveland:
The Cavs are close to contention. They took Boston to game 7 last year and after the Mo Williams acquisition, seem even more talented than in seasons past. LeBron would be greatly benefited by having a secondary scoring wing and someone who can roam the perimeter like Miller.

By adding Miller, Cleveland would be in even better position to take the East and James and Miller would pose a very dangerous threat at the wings. AV would be missed, but Ben Wallace amongst others can more than make up for his production.

PF J. Smith/ JJ Hickson
SF L. James/ W. Szcerbiak
C Z. Ilgauskas/ B. Wallace
SG M. Miller/ A. Pavlovic
PG M. Williams/ D. Gibson/ D. West

Why for Minnesota:
It may be too early to look to give up on Kevin Love and definitely Al Jefferson. In this move Minnesota deals a nice wing in Miller, but not a nice young asset to the organization, in exchange for fulfilling a much needed slot at the 5 in Minny. AV can start next to Jefferson which would move Love to the 6th man role. The Wolves can run a true big man rotation with one true center in Varejo. The deal also unloads Cardinal's contract in exchange for the expiring of Eric Snow.

PF A. Jefferson/ C. Smith/ M. Madsen
SF R. Gomes/ R. Carney
C A. Varejo/ K. Love/ C. Richard
SG C. Brewer/ R. McCants
PG R. Foye/ S. Telfair
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#95 » by MJallday59 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:06 pm

The Miami Heat send

Udonis Haslem, Daequan Cook, Future 2nd round pick

The Memphis Grizzlies send

Darko Milicic, Kyle Lowry

Miami:

This by no means settles their center woes, but it provides a half decent stop gap until they find a suitable replacement. With Wade-Marion-Beasley handling the majority of the scoring, Darko will be asked defend and block shots. The downside to this deal is that Miami loses a SG prospect. The plus side is that they acquire a position of need in Lowry. Lowry would provide the defensive tenacity at the pg position that Banks and Quinn lack.

Projected Lineup -

Lowry-Wade-Marion-Beasley-Milicic

Memphis:
Haslem is a great fit for the young Grizzlies. He provides toughness, leadership, rebounding and defensive tenacity. With Gasol slated to take majority of the minutes at the Center position, the grizz receive a proven championship PF to compliment him. They lose Lowry, but with the arrival of Cook they're able to clear up their logjam at the PG position by getting Mayo a solid backup.

Projected Lineup

Conley-Mayo-Gay-Haslem-Gasol
Kosta
RealGM

Post#96 » by Kosta » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:35 pm

So what, did we pause this game or something?
randomhero423
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#97 » by randomhero423 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:14 am

Goal: Finding the Clippers a power forward.

LAC trades: Marcus Camby, and Tim Thomas
LAC gets: Zach Randolph and David Lee

NYK trades: David Lee, Zach Randolph, and Quentin Richardson
NYK gets: Kurt Thomas, Marcus Camby, Tim Thomas, and Matt Bonner

SAS trades: Matt Bonner, and Kurt Thomas
SAS gets: Quentin Richardson

LAC does this because they get their 20 & 10 power forward in Zach Randolph, and one of the best bench players in the NBA David Lee. This bolsters their depth tremendously, while also trimming an ineffective PF, and someone they want to get rid of anyway (Tim Thomas). They have Ricky Davis to replace him.

NYK does this because they get rid of Zach Randolph's ugly contract, and Quentin Richardson. Althoguh Richardson can still be a very good bench player, he is the main cause of a glut at the SF position (Wilson Chandler, Danillo Gallinari, Jared Jefferies and Pat Ewing Jr. area all waiting). By doing this, they give their young players more minutes, and go more towards their 2010 goal. They are sad to see Lee go.

In this trade, NYK will also agree to release Kurt Thomas and Matt Bonner so SAS can sign them back. Obviously this wouldn't be offically part of the trade, but this is something that will be agreed upon.

SAS does this because they gain great depth at SF. Bowen is getting old, and Richardson can be very effective as a 6th man. Also with a winning squad, he can also rejuvanate his career. SAS also gives up one ineffective bench player, and Kurt Thomas, who is a shell of his former self at the least...
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by dockingsched » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:13 am

Kosta wrote:So what, did we pause this game or something?

dcash4 wrote:
RULES:
- one trade per scenario, no multiple trades
- have the trades in by Saturday morning 9 am pacific

let me check who hasn't submitted a trade yet and send them a pm
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#99 » by VintaGe36 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:07 am

Good luck to ws26

Hollywood Limbo.

2. VintaGe36 vs. 7. ws26

The Lakers are looking to deal one of Gasol or Bynum, since whoever is left will play C and have Odom at PF, the target here will be a SF.

I too have decided to trade Gasol.

When your trading someone of Gasol's talent, you should use his value to solve many issues.

Although a good SF is one of their main concerns, relieving themselves of one of their two overpaid SF is also somewhat important.

LAL trades:
Pau Gasol
Luke Walton

LAL receives:
Josh Howard
Udonis Haslem
Mark Blount

LAL pick up Howard and Haslem, and turn Walton's long deal into Blount's shorter one.

They do lose Gasol, but they gain some toughness from Haslem.

MIA trades:
Udonis Haslem
Shawn Marion
Mark Blount

MIA receives:
Pau Gasol
Jerry Stackhouse
Luke Walton

MIA bite the bullet, abandon their 2010 cap space plan, but have a very good core to build with Wade/Beasley/Gasol.

DAL trades:
Josh Howard
Jerry Stackhouse

DAL receives:
Shawn Marion.

Discussed alot on this board, they get a player better suited to play with Kidd.

Again, good luck to ws26.
ws26
Bench Warmer

Re: Inaugural Trade Tourney/2nd rnd - time to judge! 

Post#100 » by ws26 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:01 pm

And good luck to you Vintage.

Return to Trades and Transactions Games