Does a pat on the back help wtih second FT after a miss?

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Does a pat on the back help wtih second FT after a miss? 

Post#1 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:00 pm

It might do so for women.

Personally, I've never understood the "touching other players after a FT" I see in games. I wouldn't want anyone touching me because I'm trying to get my FT motion working. Give me the ball so I can make an adjustment if I bricked, or keep a good thing going if I didn't.

The study included a total of 60 games played by women's basketball teams in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in the US. The games contained 835 incidents of two free throws.

The researchers counted how many of her four teammates touched the shooter before a shot, for example by tapping her on the shoulder or squeezing her hand. They then calculated whether there was a statistical association between the number of touches by teammates and the success rate of the subsequent shot.

The data showed that the chance of scoring rose when teammates showed their support through touch. The effect only appeared after a failed first shot. "So support from teammates is most helpful when your stress level is already high because you've missed the first of the two shots," Büttner says in summary.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240408130746.htm
Dangun
Pro Prospect
And1: 263

Re: Does a pat on the back help wtih second FT after a miss? 

Post#2 » by Dangun » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:36 pm

Everyone is different male or female .. me personally I could careless and preferred no one “dapping” me after a make or miss, but I’ve had teammates say “my n*gga you the only one that don’t show support when we shoot free throws” lol i was like tf yall talking about and they mentioned why I don’t offer a “dap” after free throws.. so male or female , some people just want you to dap them up cause it comforts them whether they make or miss…

Return to Statistical Analysis