True Shooting Percentage =/= Offensive Efficiency

Moderator: Doctor MJ

Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Re: True Shooting Percentage =/= Offensive Efficiency 

Post#61 » by Nivek » Tue Jan 4, 2011 5:52 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Oddly enough, I haven't noticed anecdotally (ie. without looking analytically at it) is any indication that efficiency really does drop as usage increases; instead I've looked for that and not seen it. Maybe it's because when you get a big increase in usage (as opposed to small, incremental ones) it's a result of players taking on a different role . . . maybe getting more isolations or plays run for them instead of taking the leftover shots where you don't get the ball until it's shoot or shot clock time?

Has anyone looked at this? Are there patterns that have developed and what kind of hypotheses are supported by them?

It's been studied by the guys at APBRmetrics. There are lots of good links in Neil Paine's article using the effect to analyze the 1995 Rockets -- http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=5500.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Tommy Sneakers
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#62 » by Tommy Sneakers » Wed Jan 5, 2011 12:41 am

TS% is probably the best single stat for offensive efficiency, but many people rely on it too much. They think that it is such a good indicator of efficiency that other stats get completely ignored.
nonemus
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#63 » by nonemus » Wed Jan 5, 2011 3:44 am

Tommy Sneakers wrote:TS% is probably the best single stat for offensive efficiency, but many people rely on it too much. They think that it is such a good indicator of efficiency that other stats get completely ignored.

What other stats should be considered when talking about scoring efficiency?
Vinsanity420
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#64 » by Vinsanity420 » Wed Jan 5, 2011 4:04 pm

nonemus wrote:
Tommy Sneakers wrote:TS% is probably the best single stat for offensive efficiency, but many people rely on it too much. They think that it is such a good indicator of efficiency that other stats get completely ignored.

What other stats should be considered when talking about scoring efficiency?

If you're not a big fan of including the FT's like it's done in TS%, eFG% is a good stat.
Laimbeer wrote:Rule for life - if a player comparison was ridiculous 24 hours ago, it's probably still ridiculous.

Genius.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#65 » by Nivek » Fri Jan 7, 2011 10:12 pm

I think the best stat for offensive efficiency is Dean Oliver's individual offensive rating -- points produced per 100 individual possessions. It incorporates shooting efficiency, assists, offensive rebounds and turnovers. When I want a summary number for efficiency, I look at ortg. Then I start looking at the components -- efg (I want to know how a guy shoots from the floor), FT%, assists, offensive rebounding, turnovers, 3pt shooting, possession usage, etc. I actually don't use TS% much at all. I do agree that it's a bit overused.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.

Return to Statistical Analysis