is harden currently in the same league as the GOAT as a scorer

Moderator: Doctor MJ

how does james harden fare in comparison right now as a scorer only?

very well
17%
pretty well
22%
OK
39%
poorly
22%

Total votes: 18

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,554

is harden currently in the same league as the GOAT as a scorer 

Post#1 » by dice » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:23 am

this is JUST a scoring comparison. obviously jordan was the way better player

fyi, league-wide TS%s are almost identical across their careers. to be as fair as possible, and given that the pace of play is faster now, i'll use per 100 possession stats and restrict Jordan's numbers to age 23-28:

jordan regular (489 games) 42p 59%ts
harden regular (424 games) 36p 61%ts

jordan better regular season volume, harden better efficiency

jordan playoffs (85 games) 44p 59%ts
harden playoffs (45 games) 35p 58%ts

harden's efficiency drops below jordan's in 45 playoff games with houston. jordan's volume advantage widens a bit. factor in to whatever degree you wish, along with jordan's clutch ability
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,165

Re: is harden currently in the same league as the GOAT as a scorer 

Post#2 » by cpower » Sun Jan 7, 2018 8:20 am

no. you also have to adjust by TS% league avg. I believe back in Jordan's days the TS% avg is slightly lower than today's
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#3 » by papidulo » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:23 pm

I wouldnt say so.

The game was refereed differently in Jordans day; now the rules favor offense and its easier to ger foul calls.
James Harden has had more foul shots than field goals over the last like 3 or 4 years. Hes a master foul-drawer, but wouldnt get those fouls called 15-20 years ago
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,309

Post#4 » by getrichordie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:15 am

papidulo wrote:I wouldnt say so.

The game was refereed differently in Jordans day; now the rules favor offense and its easier to ger foul calls.
James Harden has had more foul shots than field goals over the last like 3 or 4 years. Hes a master foul-drawer, but wouldnt get those fouls called 15-20 years ago

I give the big edge to Jordan, but did Jordan not take advantage of any rules the way Harden did? I didn’t watch Jordan growing up but I know the rules have changed to favor shooters, but were there other rules that favored Jordan?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[twitter] @thunderdustin
papidulo
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#5 » by papidulo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:00 am

getrichordie wrote:
papidulo wrote:I wouldnt say so.

I give the big edge to Jordan, but did Jordan not take advantage of any rules the way Harden did? I didn’t watch Jordan growing up but I know the rules have changed to favor shooters, but were there other rules that favored Jordan?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Its possible.

I mean Harden is definitely a better deep shooter than Jordan, but Jordan was more athletic and a stronger finisher in my opinion.
If guys like Jordan, Iverson, and Kobe played in their primes now, theyd be putting up Westbrook type numbers
Bucketz_McGee
Junior
And1: 352

Post#6 » by Bucketz_McGee » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:15 pm

dice wrote:this is JUST a scoring comparison. obviously jordan was the way better player

fyi, league-wide TS%s are almost identical across their careers. to be as fair as possible, and given that the pace of play is faster now, i'll use per 100 possession stats and restrict Jordan's numbers to age 23-28:

harden's efficiency drops below jordan's in 45 playoff games with houston. jordan's volume advantage widens a bit. factor in to whatever degree you wish, along with jordan's clutch ability

In my mind, what makes this argument moot is the lack of duration we have for Harden. M.J sustained that level of play throughout his career. This is the first time we have seen this level of play from Harden in 8 seasons. I think we need to see another 8 seasons of this production to fairly compare him with M.J.
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". :meditate:
dice
RealGM

Post#7 » by dice » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:38 pm

Bucketz_McGee wrote:
dice wrote:this is JUST a scoring comparison. obviously jordan was the way better player

In my mind, what makes this argument moot is the lack of duration we have for Harden. M.J sustained that level of play throughout his career. This is the first time we have seen this level of play from Harden in 8 seasons. I think we need to see another 8 seasons of this production to fairly compare him with M.J.

you're missing the fundamental part of the argument: the word 'currently.' it's right in the thread title. and jordan's numbers in that very post were restricted to his prime (age 23-28), which harden has already provided a fair counterpoint to
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#8 » by dice » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:47 pm

cpower wrote:no. you also have to adjust by TS% league avg. I believe back in Jordan's days the TS% avg is slightly lower than today's

that's correct, but i believe that only this season are we seeing a spike above the league average of jordan's years
TaylorTRoom
Pro Prospect
And1: 541

Post#9 » by TaylorTRoom » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:14 am

Jordan’s career was almost all before the 2001 rules changes on defense. Harden’s career is all after. In Jordan’s day, it was all about creating your own shot, beating your man off the dribble. Now, it’s all about passing, breaking down help defenses. They are both great for their eras, but Jordan would do better in today’s game than Harden would in the 90s.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#10 » by euroleague » Fri Jul 6, 2018 7:28 am

MJ didn’t have the help Harden has. If MJ has elite 3 point shooters spreading the floor, he couldn’t be double teamed and would do better

Defenses haven’t evolved at the speed of offenses

Return to Statistical Analysis