Pace vs Possession

Moderator: Doctor MJ

kinznk
Ballboy
And1: 8

Pace vs Possession 

Post#1 » by kinznk » Fri Mar 9, 2018 4:58 pm

I like to think that I have some intelligence but sometimes I doubt it. I want to clarify a couple of statistics. I think I understand them both but I have a scenario that is wildly hypothetical that will help me clarify it and perhaps lead to another question-

Team A wins the tip in the first quarter and begins a possession. They take the ball down the court and shoot but miss and get the rebound. Let's say that continues for the entire first quarter where team A keeps shooting missing and getting the rebound for a total of 50 shots and rebounds with the quarter ending 0-0. Team A would have 50 possessions correct? Team B 0? The pace of the first quarter would be 25?

If I'm basically correct is there a stat for trips up the court? For example Team A only had one trip up the court and maintained possesion. Is there another name for 'trips up the court'?
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Re: Pace vs Possession 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Fri Mar 9, 2018 5:53 pm

In your scenario team A would only have 1 possession. A possession can have multiple shots and is effected by offensive rebounds. To steal Ben Falk's wording from CTG...
A possession starts when a team gets the ball and ends when they lose it. A play ends when the team attempts a shot, goes to the foul line, or turns the ball over. If a team gets an offensive rebound, that results in a continuation of a possession but a new play. So a possession can have multiple plays.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
kinznk
Ballboy
And1: 8

Re: Pace vs Possession 

Post#3 » by kinznk » Fri Mar 9, 2018 11:42 pm

Thank you. I read a definition but must have missed the offensive rebound section.

Return to Statistical Analysis