Play-by-Play before 1997-98

Moderator: Doctor MJ

pdevos
Ballboy
And1: 28

Play-by-Play before 1997-98 

Post#1 » by pdevos » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:55 pm

I've seen some posts where people will do some shot charts of Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, etc. It's a manual effort. That said, I'd be curious if there could be a joint effort to catalog games. I know with my wife watching her "shows" at night I have an 90 mins to kill. I'm already watching box scores or games (in season). I'd happily do a PBP of older games. The idea would be to get a format agreed upon (make it much easier to do games, perhaps even code related, e.g. assigns player ID, team_ID, etc) where we have something like Google Docs where people can submit the games. Ideally we have 2-3 people do the same game and it would be able to check/track those submissions.

Maybe there's already a project like this underway?

What are blockers? Impossible to find all 82 televised games for seasons prior to 1997-98? Maybe we do what we can and email/ask/partner with NBA teams (or the NBA league) to try to get the games we're missing.

I'm a Datat Warehouse architect/developer, so I'd happily help to assemble the database and distribution of stats to any and all involved.

A few examples of others doing work, here on insidehoops (which sucks, poor search features):
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296225&page=4
DatAsh
Senior
And1: 356

Re: Play-by-Play before 1997-98 

Post#2 » by DatAsh » Sun Jun 2, 2019 8:33 pm

pdevos wrote:I've seen some posts where people will do some shot charts of Charles Barkley, Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, etc. It's a manual effort. That said, I'd be curious if there could be a joint effort to catalog games. I know with my wife watching her "shows" at night I have an 90 mins to kill. I'm already watching box scores or games (in season). I'd happily do a PBP of older games. The idea would be to get a format agreed upon (make it much easier to do games, perhaps even code related, e.g. assigns player ID, team_ID, etc) where we have something like Google Docs where people can submit the games. Ideally we have 2-3 people do the same game and it would be able to check/track those submissions.

Maybe there's already a project like this underway?

What are blockers? Impossible to find all 82 televised games for seasons prior to 1997-98? Maybe we do what we can and email/ask/partner with NBA teams (or the NBA league) to try to get the games we're missing.

I'm a Datat Warehouse architect/developer, so I'd happily help to assemble the database and distribution of stats to any and all involved.

A few examples of others doing work, here on insidehoops (which sucks, poor search features):
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296225&page=4

I can help with this.
pdevos
Ballboy
And1: 28

Re: Play-by-Play before 1997-98 

Post#3 » by pdevos » Sun Aug 4, 2019 2:28 pm

Had a few back and forths with a few people for how to get this started.

Awareness - Find others:
- Reddit Post
- Other places? The forums on RealGM, APBR, InsideHoops, other(?) don't seem to get as much traction and are hard to find (not search optimized) as it gets buried down as newer posts arrive.

Games Available:
- Ways to figure out what can be found, it may end up being a lot of personal contributions or perhaps connections to the NBA (or teams) to get video.

At this point, could see what is available, if worthwhile, if enough interest, then come up with a structure to actually accomplish the project.

A few think out loud ideas...not exhaustive.

Repository:
- Google Drive or Github something where people can submit a file (e.g. CSV) and if any files for the same game are present, it would compare the diffs automatically, would make the auditing/editing process quicker/easier.
- Google Sheets with season schedules of games - links on this sheet to individual game files in other Google Sheets

Tools needed to chart games:
- Probably would take the NBA.com format as would make an easy parsing of data congruent on current data (PBP 1996-97 to Present).
- Other ways to help "guestimate" shot distances (e.g. 17 footer)...
- perhaps a way to help chart location zones (nice to have, not a must)
- pbp naming conventions
- file naming conventions

Obviously watching and charting a game is a lot of work. I'd want to incentivize those who do the work tho, it would be a private group and say, a Google Sheets list with emails for permissions. Ideally, can put something well organized together and give credit to those who put in the hard work.

Return to Statistical Analysis