No votes

Total votes: 12

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Winnipeg's Biggest Rival? 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:30 pm

Over the next 5 seasons who do you think will become Winnipeg's biggest rival?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Re: Winnipeg's Biggest Rival? 

Post#2 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:49 pm

Well, I've always hated the Oilers. I still haven't recovered from them coming back from a 3-1 series defecit to beat us in the first round, then going on to win the Cup in 1990. Hated Mark Messier for an acting job he did in one game, where he lay on the ice motionless, face down, after an inadvertent high stick. The second the referees changed the penalty into a major, he got right up and skated to the bench like nothing had happened. Also hated how their fans copied our White Out. And I always hated how the media and Oiler fans always brought up the fact that the Jets could have signed Wayne Gretzky before he became an Oiler.

I must admit though - I did love Grant Fuhr for what he did for Team Canada in 1987. He's the only Oiler that gets a pass. The rest of em can suck it.

I don't even know who's on that team now, and I also realize that they're not too good. However, my hate for the blue and orange still lives on. :lol:
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#3 » by MrBojangelz71 » Wed Jun 1, 2011 8:51 pm

We always had the best battles against the Flames. Oilers were also bitter rivals but they owned us in the playoffs, Flames were beatable.

I was in a hockey tournament a few months back and got to play with Joel Otto and Dave Manson. It was awesome to share a beer with them and listen to the stories about the old Jets/Flames rivalry. Otto said that playing in the old Winnipeg arena was one of his favorite places to play just because of the sheer madness that the fans presented. Place use to be nuts back then, as loud as any building in the league.

Hopefully that same craziness will exist in the new arena.
SCF99
Senior
And1: 19

Post#4 » by SCF99 » Wed Jun 1, 2011 9:44 pm

I hope it is the oilers and we beat the sticks out of them. I couldnt cheer for them when they were in the finals a few years ago against the hurricanes and i aint cheering for Van this year because they beat us out of playoffs one year to...bass tards...ps even grant fuhr dont get a pass
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Winnipeg's Biggest Rival? 

Post#5 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jun 1, 2011 11:42 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:We always had the best battles against the Flames. Oilers were also bitter rivals but they owned us in the playoffs, Flames were beatable.

I despised Mike Vernon. Guy wore that ugly helmet and cage for the longest time. He was also a hot dog - I swear, whenever he would make a glove save, he would milk it and kick his legs out to make it look more difficult than it really was.

I hated Tim Hunter too. His nose made Scottie Pippen's beak look pretty.

Also, I got to hit up a playoff game in the old arena. Unforgettable! Still the loudest thing I've ever heard. Just seeing my mom and dad give out high 5s to random people after each goal was just terrific. I can't wait till the 2011-12 season starts.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#6 » by MrBojangelz71 » Thu Jun 2, 2011 5:42 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
MrBojangelz71 wrote:We always had the best battles against the Flames. Oilers were also bitter rivals but they owned us in the playoffs, Flames were beatable.

I despised Mike Vernon. Guy wore that ugly helmet and cage for the longest time. He was also a hot dog - I swear, whenever he would make a glove save, he would milk it and kick his legs out to make it look more difficult than it really was.

I hated Tim Hunter too. His nose made Scottie Pippen's beak look pretty.

Also, I got to hit up a playoff game in the old arena. Unforgettable! Still the loudest thing I've ever heard. Just seeing my mom and dad give out high 5s to random people after each goal was just terrific. I can't wait till the 2011-12 season starts.

Yes I was at the whiteouts when we knocked Calgary out. The rubber chickens tossed on the ice at Tim Hunter who refused to drop the gloves with Jim Kite was classic. The arena use to shake it was so loud. It was amazing because fans were standing before the puck dropped and didn't sit until the game was over. It was loud for the entire game.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,221

Post#7 » by C Court » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:42 am

Back in the day when I was a Jets season ticket holder the Oilers were Winnipeg's most disliked rival.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#8 » by YogiStewart » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Centre Court wrote:Back in the day when I was a Jets season ticket holder the Oilers were Winnipeg's most disliked rival.

1. Oilers
2. Flames
3. Canucks
SCF99
Senior
And1: 19

Post#9 » by SCF99 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:20 pm

Whats it going to be like when Phoniex comes to town, does any one hold any grudeges against them for taken our team in the first place....to me they dont seem like the same francise that left town so i hope we kick there azzez! Still hate Edmonton more though.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#10 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:42 pm

SCF99 wrote:Whats it going to be like when Phoniex comes to town, does any one hold any grudeges against them for taken our team in the first place....to me they dont seem like the same francise that left town so i hope we kick there azzez! Still hate Edmonton more though.

I was going to boo the hell out of Shane Doan, as I seriously felt betrayed by his "comments" about Winnipeg. However, it sure doesn't sound like he said anything negative about the city, and just expressed how his kids were feeling.

http://www.jayreas.com/shane-doan-never-said-a-discouraging-word-about-winnipeg/

I will applaud Doan when he returns, but I still hope we beat the hell out of the Coyotes since they're technically Gary Bettman's team.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,221

Post#11 » by C Court » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 am

YogiStewart wrote:
Centre Court wrote:Back in the day when I was a Jets season ticket holder the Oilers were Winnipeg's most disliked rival.

1. Oilers
2. Flames
3. Canucks

Those are historical city rivalries (Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver) that go back 60 years or more with the CFL, which is why these will remain strong rivals for the new Winnipeg NHL team.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors

Return to Winnipeg Jets