Help me out please.

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Help me out please. 

Post#1 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Jun 1, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm not going to lie - I stopped watching hockey after the Jets left in '96. I honestly have no clue who is even on the team we're inheriting, to the point where I will be starting up a season in NHL'11 on my Xbox, using the Thrashers. I need to get familiar with who I'll be cheering for. If any hockey fans can fill me in on the key players for the Thrashers, it would be much appreciated. Cheers!!
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Re: Help me out please. 

Post#2 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:03 pm

I know most of the players but I'm more interested in the contracts they have.

Does this new Winnipeg team have any insane contracts? Who just came off the books that Winnipeg may be looking to keep?
singh_shady
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,166

Post#3 » by singh_shady » Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:12 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I'm not going to lie - I stopped watching hockey after the Jets left in '96. I honestly have no clue who is even on the team we're inheriting, to the point where I will be starting up a season in NHL'11 on my Xbox, using the Thrashers. I need to get familiar with who I'll be cheering for. If any hockey fans can fill me in on the key players for the Thrashers, it would be much appreciated. Cheers!!

I'm in the same situation as you, basically the only guy I knew of before the deal was Evander Kane lol. I've never been a hockey fan, I was 9 when the Jets left but I just watched basketball. I'm looking forward to having a home team I can really get behind though, everyone I've talked to has said this is a solid young team with potential.
SCF99
Senior
And1: 19

Post#4 » by SCF99 » Wed Jun 1, 2011 9:35 pm

Ditto on the Celts fan comment i also stopped watching in 96. Went from a absolute jets nut to nothing over night. Had pretty heavy withdrawls for awhile, and think i will be able to get pretty excited about the new team. I used to know every draft pick, every trade, there farm system by heart so it will take awhile to get back to being as hard core as i once was. But i will try
WpgPage
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#5 » by WpgPage » Thu Jun 2, 2011 3:56 am

Its a great team to get no terrible contracts a few ones that arn't great but nothing terrible, Evander Kane is going to be a very good player, he has top line potential and the defense core and goal tending is excellent. Weak farm system but that is due to most of the kids going straight to the NHL due to the previous regime.

Biggest team strength
Defense - We are obtaining a D-core that could easily be top 8 in the NHL over the next 5 years 1-4 are already solid and relatively young with some development from Zack Bogosian we could be looking at a top 5 defense in the league

Biggest team need
Top 6 Forwards - We have 1 top line winger in Kane but a #1 center and another top 6 winger are needed, 3rd line is solid with 2 big strong wingers in Blake Wheeler and Anthony Stewart, and Patrice Cormier should develop into a solid 3rd line center.

Overall this is a very solid team to take over we have a ton of cap space even if TNSE only wants to spend 50-55 mil that still should leave almost 7 million in space after they resign the RFA's add in the #7 overall pick and this team could be competing rather soon.
darth_federer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 922

Post#6 » by darth_federer » Thu Jun 2, 2011 6:31 am

The farm system is ranked 29th in the league so it definitely needs help. The defense is the biggest strenght. Pavelec looks like a legit #1 so youre set there. Definitely need an influx of forwards.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/nhl_organi ... /?start=24

Evander Kane, Andrew Ladd, Zach Bogosian, Dustin Byfuglien, Tobias Enstrom and Pavelec is a good core to build around. Clearly the defense is pretty good. Angelo Esposito was viewed as a potential number one pick a few years ago before he slipped. Guy really hasnt recovered since. Who knows if he ll ever pan out.

As far as salaries go, you ll have upwards of 20 million to spend per year for the forseeable future but the owners have been pretty clear that they ll be a middle of the pack salary team unless they become a contender.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7

Profanity wrote:This is why I question a Canadian team in our league. it's a govt conspiracy trina to sell all our milk to Russia. They let the raptors participate to not let canadians demand crossing taxes. it will backfire one day.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#7 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jun 2, 2011 11:23 am

Good stuff! Thanks guys!!!
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#8 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jun 2, 2011 2:55 pm

darth_federer wrote:The farm system is ranked 29th in the league so it definitely needs help. The defense is the biggest strenght. Pavelec looks like a legit #1 so youre set there. Definitely need an influx of forwards.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/nhl_organi ... /?start=24

Evander Kane, Andrew Ladd, Zach Bogosian, Dustin Byfuglien, Tobias Enstrom and Pavelec is a good core to build around. Clearly the defense is pretty good. Angelo Esposito was viewed as a potential number one pick a few years ago before he slipped. Guy really hasnt recovered since. Who knows if he ll ever pan out.

As far as salaries go, you ll have upwards of 20 million to spend per year for the forseeable future but the owners have been pretty clear that they ll be a middle of the pack salary team unless they become a contender.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7

I honestly will not be surprised if they make a run at signing Teemu for 1 year. need talent up front and it makes sense for everyone except possibly Teemu (depends if he loves California)
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#9 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Jun 2, 2011 3:29 pm

YogiStewart wrote:I honestly will not be surprised if they make a run at signing Teemu for 1 year. need talent up front and it makes sense for everyone except possibly Teemu (depends if he loves California)

Well, he still loves Winnipeg. Whether or not it's enough to coax him up here for 1 more year is another story.

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2011/05/31/selanne-happy-for-winnipeg-and-its-fans/66281/

“I’m so happy for the city of Winnipeg and the fans,” Selanne said through a team spokesman. ”It’s always been a very special place for me. There’s a reason why it’s called Friendly Manitoba!

If he doesn't sign with us, I just hope the NHL schedules the Ducks to come up for a visit. However, if he does sign with us.........WOWZERS, MTS Center will explode during the home opener the second Teemu hits the ice for the pre-game skate.
singh_shady
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by singh_shady » Thu Jun 2, 2011 5:24 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
I honestly will not be surprised if they make a run at signing Teemu for 1 year. need talent up front and it makes sense for everyone except possibly Teemu (depends if he loves California)

According to his agent he doesn't think a return to Winnipeg will happen for the reason you mentioned, he loves California. His raised his family there and they're nicely settled in.
singh_shady
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by singh_shady » Thu Jun 2, 2011 5:26 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
If he doesn't sign with us, I just hope the NHL schedules the Ducks to come up for a visit. However, if he does sign with us.........WOWZERS, MTS Center will explode during the home opener the second Teemu hits the ice for the pre-game skate.

Atlanta would have been scheduled to have the Ducks visit.. So let's hope they do the same for Winnipeg

Return to Winnipeg Jets