YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Winnipeg's roster 

Post#1 » by YogiStewart » Sat Jun 4, 2011 7:34 pm

TSN has a good breakdown of the roster:

http://tsn.ca/blogs/scott_cullen/?id=367435

the summary: be happy if they get into the playoffs.

Minors look bleak.

FREE AGENCY
According to www.capgeek.com, the Winnipeg has approximately $36.7M committed to the 2011-12 salary cap for 16 players.

Needs: Two top nine forwards, depth forwards, depth defencemen.

What I said the Thrashers needed last year: One top six forward, two top nine forwards, one top four defenceman, one additional defenceman, starting goaltender.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Re: Winnipeg's roster 

Post#2 » by MrBojangelz71 » Sat Jun 4, 2011 8:03 pm

Listening to Chipman's comments last week, I feel they will not make any major investments into FA to speed up a rebuild. I expect them to invest heavily into management, scouting and making their minor team affiliate better.

Atlanta was a much better team to inherit than the Coyotes would have been. This is a team that is younger and better contracts. Chipman is a smart hockey man that I have faith in. He will ensure that we build a team that can consistently compete, not one that is handcuffed by over priced players on long term contracts. The fans in Winnipeg will allow a couple of seasons of mediocrity before they start demanding a winner. I expect Chipman to utilize those 2 years and maintain a high draft pick in both. Once they have the foundation, I expect Thompson to flex his financial muscle and go out and get a couple of top FA's to put us in contention.
singh_shady
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,166

Post#3 » by singh_shady » Sat Jun 4, 2011 9:26 pm

So what's the likelihood Ladd resigns?
WpgPage
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#4 » by WpgPage » Mon Jun 6, 2011 5:05 am

Almost 100% he resigns it would take a large RFA offer to keep us from matching the key will be getting him locked in for 3-5 years.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#5 » by Crowned » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:02 am

Ladd is the captain, they'll re-sign him.

The defensive core on this team is quite good, but there's significant holes up front. They'll continue to add through the draft, but sooner or later, they're going to have to spend some cash. They won't this season, but they'll have to make a splash in a season or two to maintain this level of interest in Winnipeg.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#6 » by Nolan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:26 am

They have a decent roster for a young team, but they need to do some serious work before they can become a consistent playoff team. First off they need to resign Ladd and add a difference maker with the 7th pick this year, Douggie Hamilton would be a great for you guys at 7.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."

Return to Winnipeg Jets