ImageImageImageImageImage

The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,978

Re: The (way too early) 2024 Draft thread. Woo! Tanking! 

Post#1401 » by DCZards » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:54 pm

I get the concerns about Dillingham’s size and defense. But from what I’ve seen his ability to bend defenses and get to the rim are among his strengths.

I agree with what they say about him on NBA draft net:
Excellent body control when driving through the paint – is able to slip between defenders and get into position to get shots up despite traffic and congestion in the paint. Is extremely creative at creating shots at all three levels …
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,324

Post#1402 » by NatP4 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:45 pm

DCZards wrote:I get the concerns about Dillingham’s size and defense. But from what I’ve seen his ability to bend defenses and get to the rim are among his strengths.

Excellent body control when driving through the paint – is able to slip between defenders and get into position to get shots up despite traffic and congestion in the paint. Is extremely creative at creating shots at all three levels …

I see a lot of contested floaters and mid range jumpers. He’s definitely crafty and will score in the NBA, but I don’t see an explosive primary option point guard at all. You have to be a Trae Young level of a shot creator to get away with being that small and that much of a defensive liability.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,362

Post#1403 » by nate33 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:03 pm

I think the best-case comparison for Dillingham would be Darius Garland. And that's not such a bad thing.

It's worth pointing out that Garland looked like a total bust his rookie year. In his second year, he improved a fair bit but still looked like he would only pan out as a pretty mediocre player. He then made another huge leap in Year 3 and became an All-Star (albeit in a weak conference). Garland has struggled to co-exist alongside Mitchell though, and that's the concerning thing with his player prototype. If you don't put the ball in his hands, it's hard to justify playing a guy that small because of the way it kills your defense.

Trae Young has the same problem. He's an offensive monster with the ball in his hands, but he couldn't coexist with Dejounte Murray.

I could see things panning out pretty well if we drafted Dillingham, but it would put restrictions on the way we built the rest of the roster. All the other wings would have to be pretty big and be good defenders. It would probably mean Kispert would have to be moved. But theoretically, I could seen a 50-win team built out of a nucleus of Dillingham, Deni, Coulibaly, Flagg and a center duo of Vukcevic plus a rim-runner athletic type not yet on this roster.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,025

Post#1404 » by dckingsfan » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:39 pm

nate33 wrote:I think the best-case comparison for Dillingham would be Darius Garland. And that's not such a bad thing.

It's worth pointing out that Garland looked like a total bust his rookie year. In his second year, he improved a fair bit but still looked like he would only pan out as a pretty mediocre player. He then made another huge leap in Year 3 and became an All-Star (albeit in a weak conference). Garland has struggled to co-exist alongside Mitchell though, and that's the concerning thing with his player prototype. If you don't put the ball in his hands, it's hard to justify playing a guy that small because of the way it kills your defense.

Trae Young has the same problem. He's an offensive monster with the ball in his hands, but he couldn't coexist with Dejounte Murray.

I could see things panning out pretty well if we drafted Dillingham, but it would put restrictions on the way we built the rest of the roster. All the other wings would have to be pretty big and be good defenders. It would probably mean Kispert would have to be moved. But theoretically, I could seen a 50-win team built out of a nucleus of Dillingham, Deni, Coulibaly, Flagg and a center duo of Vukcevic plus a rim-runner athletic type not yet on this roster.

:D
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,375

Post#1405 » by doclinkin » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:15 pm

DCZards wrote:I get the concerns about Dillingham’s size and defense. But from what I’ve seen his ability to bend defenses and get to the rim are among his strengths.

Okay there is a bizarre way that perhaps it could work. But it is totally counterintuitive. Let me work this out.

To me it would seem this team would be the absolute worst place for Dillingham in terms of roster chemistry. According to Cal Dillingham was complaining about his role. By contrast Coach Cal intimated that he gave Dillingham a long leash, compared to former players who were asking him why he got away with freelancing so much. John Wall among them even.

We already see Jordan Poole with the same free run. Seems to me he would be the worst role model of how to play in the league. Showboat. Look off your teammates, go one-on-five, only kick out late in the clock when you have used up all your options and force teammates to heave up a prayer. Play no defense. Play small. Have no accountability.

HOWEVER. DIllingham is quicker than Poole. Craftier. Quicker decision making. His moves actually lead to open shots. Dillingham's razzle dazzle does not betray an irrational confidence in his abilities, but in fact, shows a confidence backed up by accomplishment. As for role model, Poole is noted by all teammates on both squads (with the notable exception of Draymond) to be a good teammate and among the hardest working guys in the gym. A guy who clawed his way out of the G League and into a star contract by emulating Curry's work ethic and focus.

If we had the Jordan Poole that he thinks he is. The Jordan Poole of his imagination. The Jordan Poole of the championship run, even. We would have had an entertaining year. What we were expecting: high scoring uptempo shootouts, fun to watch and still earning us defensive losses and high lotto tickets.

Dillingham has looked like that guy for the past couple years. That was what earned him one of the biggest NIL deals in college this year when he was recruited to Kentucky from the Overtime Elite league. He brings all the razzle dazzle. Yes he looks like a 6th man of the year type at his peak. But that is a real role. Useful still even in a league that may be tilting back towards defense. We have no go-to scorers this year and have had to rely on Kyle Kuzma for the role. We need a guy who is creative at getting his points and bends the defense towards him in a useful way. I personally think both Jamaal Crawford and Lou WIlliams should be in the Hall of Fame. If we get that guy, it lets us trade off Poole and Dills from night to night, depending on whoever is hot. And if we get a string of high scoring games from Poole, maybe it looks reasonable to trade him since we already have a rookie coming up in that role.

If there are lessons that the 25 year old Poole can pass on, in any positive way, from his GSW years, and from working out of G League purgatory. Or wrinkles that he can add to his game. Then Dillingham is the exact sort of player who can emulate them. Maybe they spark each other in practice team shootouts. Maybe that translates into on court firepower, And on defense: it still earns us lotto tickets.

Granted. It surely drives Deni mad. Our defense would be awful. But you know, maybe it is just crazy enough to work. Or maybe it is just crazy.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,005

Post#1406 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:42 am

It is finished.

The season of tanking has come to fruition.

Unfortunately, this draft is nebulous near the top. Seems to me mediocre teams who select mid to late lottery have an equal chance of selecting the best player.

Sent from my SM-A146U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#1407 » by badinage » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:12 am

What’s our second first-round pick — number what?
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1408 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:06 am

badinage wrote:What’s our second first-round pick — number what?

Our picks:
Top 6.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1409 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:50 pm

I'm revisiting Ron Holland right now. That guy put up some pretty impressive stats in January before shutting it down. For a guy who can't shoot, he sure puts points on the board and it's not due to ball-hogging. His assist numbers are pretty impressive for a big wing.

In his last 11 games in January, he posted 24.0 points, 7.7 rebounds, 3.6 assists, and 2.6 steals per 36 minutes on a TS% of .598. He shot 80% from the FT line during that stretch. He is a disruptive defender.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1410 » by NatP4 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:38 pm

This channel is amazing, has footage of Castle and Risacher as well.

Keep in mind: Topic is playing in the ABA, which is a quality professional league loaded with former quality NCAA players, and a few games in the Euroleague, which is the 2nd best league in the world. Doesn’t turn 19 years old until late August.
jangles86
Starter
And1: 939

Post#1411 » by jangles86 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm

My board for wizards first pick:

1. Sarr
2. Topic
3. Buzelis
4. Sheppard
5. Clingan
6. Castle

For our pick 26:

1.Edey
2.Devin Carter
3.Ware
4.George
5.Missi
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 901

Post#1412 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:23 am

payitforward wrote:Something I don't understand: on draft night in 2020, we traded the #37 pick (which we had from the Bulls) to OKC in return for the #52 pick (which we used on Cassius Winston) plus the Grizzlies' 2024 R2 pick (which was owned by OKC).

Here's the article detailing this trade: https://www.nba.com/wizards/wizards-acquire-draft-rights-winston

So... why don't we have that pick?
In fact, I notice that nocks show Memphis (somehow) still making its R2 pick....

What's going on w/ this?

I think we traded a 2nd round pick to move up for Bilal. It may have been two 2nd rounders?
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,025

Post#1413 » by dckingsfan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:33 am

badinage wrote:What’s our second first-round pick — number what?

Lottery, 26 & 50.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1414 » by doclinkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

NatP4 wrote:This channel is amazing, has footage of Castle and Risacher as well.

Keep in mind: Topic is playing in the ABA, which is a quality professional league loaded with former quality NCAA players, and a few games in the Euroleague, which is the 2nd best league in the world. Doesn’t turn 19 years old until late August.

Watching all 3 of these extended supercuts. And yeah, confirming my nope on Topić. He has an advanced handle and can do nothing with it. Players like John Wall, Tony Parker or Steve Nash were 'penetrate and dish' guards. Topić is a 'penetrate and miss' type of player. He dribbles for a while and fair enough he gets to the paint with ease against these lower tier guys, but can do nothing with the ball when he is in there. His signature move is a flying lay-up at full extension. Which does not fall. He looks good on the way in but does not have the elevation to flush it, nor the touch and english to float it in consistently. Not at the rate you expect to score in the paint. In the NBA there will be less room on the interior and bigger longer nastier players to evaporate that below-the-rim game. Further out his jumper is broken. He has long arms but he shoots it from face level. And talk about missing wide open shots, those are the only 3's he takes. They all bounce out. No jump under the ball so it comes off as a flat ball that hammers the front rim and bounces straight back. Worse, on defense he seems unmotivated. Too cool to care. He looked bad in his 2 Euroleague games. Then got injured and did not come back, so at least you could hold on to the mystery of his early run. Was that a business decision? Or is he significantly injured. Either answer does not make me happy.

As for competition, hah. Too bad the NBA is not filled with former NCAA players who had to go overseas to find a job. And even then the ABA is mostly locals from the region, not the creme of Euroball. Look, at least Risacher had a solid resume in Euro play (and the French Serie A league, which is probably just below Spain and equivalent to Australia as the best domestic league outside the NBA). At least his play was solid until an elbow knocked the wits and will out of him. He did come back to compete, though his game was off. Even so his team actually played for the Eurocup, contending for title of the best club in Europe, with him as a significant contributor off the bench and on defense. Even when his shot stopped falling he at least gave good effort on D. His shot looks pretty, very much not broken, and for a hot streak there it fell true, against significant competition. When it stopped falling it still had good air underneath it and was on target. Looked to me like he had tired legs. Maybe if he puts on a little more strength he would lose the tentativeness that leaked into his offensive game, and added stamina to last a longer season. Or maybe all it takes is time, if indeed he experienced prolonged aftereffects from that concussion.

Personally I still have Castle and Risacher above Topic. Risacher on pedigree, training team, and fit/translation to a defined NBA role as a tall wing player with 3&D game when he is dialed in. Castle on heart and defense and competitive spirit at both ends. Untapped upside. If Castle's ball doesn't fall he at least will have rebounding and defense to fall back on while he tools his jumper. Castle played in the NCAA against and with guys who will make it to the actual NBA, not a 3rd tier league in Eastern Europe.

I am not buying Topić right now. I don't see what part of his game translates except that he is a skillful ballhandler for his height. He's also an overdribbler without good enough results to earn that much possession time for him to set up his own game while everyone else stands around. I like his hesi game. Change of speed. Body control. Ball control. Do not like how much time he takes to set it all up. In the NBA this ball dominant style has not proven to work, unless you have Dame, Curry, Trae range. He's tall, but does not play tall. Just I dunno, long neckedly. Running around the barnyard while the farmer chases him. Something.

Not for me.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1415 » by doclinkin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:49 am

Speaking of Trae, Dame and Curry. When he gets hot this kid is just too fun to watch.

Not my pick but he's going to sell a ton of jerseys to middle schoolers. And even full size they will fit the kids who buy them. This is one kid who will have fans in other arenas shouting his name and lining up for autographs. If he goes on a hot streak we might sell tickets to our own local fans as well.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1416 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 pm

Eurocup doesn’t even feature the top teams in Europe. It’s a 2nd tier competition for teams that don’t make the Euroleague.

And Topic put up 19 points and 7 assists on 60% TS in the ABA, so the “does nothing” narrative that you just made up doesn’t really match reality.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#1417 » by closg00 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 pm

doclinkin wrote:Speaking of Trae, Dame and Curry. When he gets hot this kid is just too fun to watch.

Not my pick but he's going to sell a ton of jerseys to middle schoolers. And even full size they will fit the kids who buy them. This is one kid who will have fans in other arenas shouting his name and lining up for autographs. If he goes on a hot streak we might sell tickets to our own local fans as well.

All-star potential and people are sleeping on him, I'd rather trust him with the rock to win/close games than Kuzma/Poole.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,937

Post#1418 » by Frichuela » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:57 pm

In the podcast below they are very negative on Topic...He is rated as a back up guard in a good scenario, who is pretty bad defensively...

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/scouting-2024-internationals-alexandre-sarr-nikola/id1561566975?i=1000651456478

They are also quite negative on Risacher and fine with Sarr taken in the lottery though probably not top 5 in a "normal" draft.

The way I see this draft, I would not select Topic or Risacher in the top 6 where we will draft. Full disclosure, I am not overly excited about anyone in this draft, but, if I was Dawkins/Winger, this would be my board:
1) Sarr
2) Clingan
3) Castle
4) Sheppard
5) Dillingham

You can see I have two centers at the top. I think both Sarr and Clingan are likely to be pretty decent defensively from the get go, which is something this team desperately needs.

Obviously, I am crossing my fingers that in the 2025 draft we land a top 2 pick and Flagg or Bailey are selected...In this regard, I'd shop Kuzma aggressively for an additional 2025 1st round pick.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,978

Post#1419 » by DCZards » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:17 pm

Dillingham is wild! Entertaining as hell and extremely talented, but his unconscious shot selection is going to drive his NBA coaches and teammates crazy. They’ll want to strangle him.

Kid desperately needs some shot discipline. However, if and when that happens, Dillingham is going to be damn near unstoppable with his quickness, body control, awesome handle, and deep bag of offensive tricks. Almost Kyrie like.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1420 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:56 pm

It's fascinating the contrast between Dillingham and Sheppard. They are polar opposites in their style of play. Sheppard is selective and efficient, but lacks the explosion and creativity to create in space. His game promotes ball movement and teammate involvement but he can't really get you a bucket on his own. Dillingham is reckless and wild, but makes jaw-dropping highlights and can get off a (bad) shot whenever he wants, making more than you would expect.

It's so hard to predict where they will end up in the NBA.

I could see Sheppard leveling up in the NBA with a more structured system and better spacing. His ability to pull up off of a high screen may be all the on-ball shot creation he'll need. If you are great at that one skill, it makes the pick-and-roll a deadly weapon. Stockton didn't really have any moves but was a Hall of Famer. On the other hand, maybe Sheppard is just an undersized shooting guard who is mismatched defensively at that position - a Grayson Allen. That's not very exciting at the top of the lottery.

Likewise, you can look at Dillingham and see Kyrie or Arenas - just an audacious ability to get a shot off and get to the rim and create havoc. But he also has tunnel vision and horrific shot selection. He might just be Bones Hyland.

Return to Washington Wizards