Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,186

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLVI 

Post#681 » by Dat2U » Sun May 12, 2024 11:04 pm

nate33 wrote:Portland picks #7 and #14
San Antonio picks #4 and #8

Those are the two trade-down targets.

I doubt San Antonio would trade #4 and #8 for #2 and #26, but Portland would probably consider #7 and #14 for #2 and #26. It might make sense if Dawkins actually likes a less heralded guy like Holland or Collier instead of guys like Topic and Risacher who seem to be near the top of most draft boards.

I'd be pretty happy to come away from this draft with Holland and McCain.

Holland and McCain would be a very good draft.

I'd definitely sign up for that.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,012

Post#682 » by DCZards » Sun May 12, 2024 11:22 pm

Dat2U wrote:

I doubt San Antonio would trade #4 and #8 for #2 and #26, but Portland would probably consider #7 and #14 for #2 and #26. It might make sense if Dawkins actually likes a less heralded guy like Holland or Collier instead of guys like Topic and Risacher who seem to be near the top of most draft boards.

Me too. We taking Holland with #2 if no trade materializes? He has to at least be in the mix.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#683 » by Dat2U » Sun May 12, 2024 11:26 pm

DCZards wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Me too. We taking Holland with #2 if no trade materializes? He has to at least be in the mix.

Yep. I'm not locked into my choice yet but he's one of top candidates.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#684 » by Dat2U » Sun May 12, 2024 11:32 pm

Any consideration of trading out (or down) for a young all-star caliber player?

LaMelo Ball
Trae Young
Mikal Bridges
Ja Morant???
Brandon Ingram
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,951

Post#685 » by payitforward » Mon May 13, 2024 1:12 am

By the time training camp starts, Bridges will be 28, Ingram will be 27, & Trae Young will be 26. None of them would be on my list.

Ja Morant will be 25, but I wonder whether we'd be interested in him given his seeming maturity issues. & if those are behind him, then why would Memphis want to trade him? Seems unlikely. Great player obviously....

Lamelo seems not to have improved much over his first years in the league. That said, he is still as young as some guys who'll go in this draft.

Tell you what, though... all 5 of the guys you mention were born in either August or September. So, let's make sure to grab someone born in that window!!

Ron Holland was born a month too early in the year. Castle was born a couple of months too late. Risacher too early.

This could be tough -- but, no, wait! Nikola Topic has an August birthday! He's our guy....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,588

Post#686 » by nate33 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:27 am

Dat2U wrote:Any consideration of trading out (or down) for a young all-star caliber player?

LaMelo Ball
Trae Young
Mikal Bridges
Ja Morant???
Brandon Ingram

I doubt it. I think the organization is all in on a full rebuild. They're not going to Ernie Grunfeld this thing and trade the future for now. They won't trade the Iguadola pick for the next Antawn Jamison
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,588

Post#687 » by nate33 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:49 am

penbeast0 wrote:As the Trade Board fills with mediocre players and a draft pick deals for Deni Avdija, I'd like to know something.

Would this board swap Avdija for Cade Cunningham with Detroit? (I am not as high on Deni as some, but am probably considerably lower on Cade than most)

I think I would decline.

It's not really fair to compare them directly because Cade, as the #1 option, weathered much more defensive attention, but nevertheless, Deni put up significantly better numbers. I'll take the 19, 9 and 4 that Deni posted over the second half of the season over the 22, 4 and 8 that Cade posted once you factor Deni's superior efficiency (.604 TS% to Cade's .546) and superior defense. But even if you wanted to make the case the Cade is a bit better than Deni, you still have to factor contracts. Deni is locked into an absurdly cheap deal whereas Cade will probably end up getting max money on his next contract.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,487

Post#688 » by mhd » Mon May 13, 2024 11:15 am

Dat2U wrote:Any consideration of trading out (or down) for a young all-star caliber player?

LaMelo Ball
Trae Young
Mikal Bridges
Ja Morant???
Brandon Ingram

We don't control our pick for the next two years (top 10 protected for next year and top 8 for the year after). If it doesn't convey, we'll owe two 2nd rounders instead. We're not trying to be good for a while.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,740

Post#689 » by gambitx777 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:28 am

Would or should we trade the #2 pick for assets in a trade back?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,589

Post#690 » by pcbothwel » Mon May 13, 2024 3:01 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Would or should we trade the #2 pick for assets in a trade back?

Simple. We either think Topic is "The Guy" and you take him at 2... Or its a big group to include him, Castle, Buzelis, Sheppard, Dillingham, Clingan, etc. you try to trade back 3-6 spots and take who is left.
I'd love to get picks 4/8 from SAS for 2 & 26. Or 2 + Kuz for 4, 8, and 35

4: Clingan/Buzelis
8: Sheppard/Castle/Holland
26: George/ Kolek/ Edey/ Holmes
35: Chomche/Almansa/Simpson/Dadiet
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,019

Post#691 » by Dark Faze » Mon May 13, 2024 3:41 pm

You have to imagine the Spurs are pretty keyed in on Topic. I don't think 4 and 8 for 2 + additional assets (26, 2nd rnders?) is completely out of the question if they are in love with him.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 487

Post#692 » by Jay81 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:19 pm

Dark Faze wrote:You have to imagine the Spurs are pretty keyed in on Topic. I don't think 4 and 8 for 2 + additional assets (26, 2nd rnders?) is completely out of the question if they are in love with him.

topic is the most spur guy ever
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,445

Post#693 » by doclinkin » Mon May 13, 2024 8:29 pm

Jay81 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:You have to imagine the Spurs are pretty keyed in on Topic. I don't think 4 and 8 for 2 + additional assets (26, 2nd rnders?) is completely out of the question if they are in love with him.

topic is the most spur guy ever

I don't see why: Doesn't play defense. Does nothing off the ball. Pop will burn his ears with accurate assessment of his game. He better have the stones to handle the critique and improve.

Stephon Castle is probably the most Spurs guy in the draft. Does everything a team wants, thrives under a hardass coach. AND only needs a jumper, while joining the team with one of the best known shot doctors in the game.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#694 » by closg00 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:33 pm

With both Memphis and ATL shopping their picks, I am hopeful we will be able to trade Kuzma and get more swings in this draft.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 469

Post#695 » by Tyrone Messby » Tue May 14, 2024 12:00 am

We're going to send Kuzma to the Lakers for their first aren't we? :lol:
JAR69
Senior
And1: 226

Post#696 » by JAR69 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:06 am

closg00 wrote:With both Memphis and ATL shopping their picks, I am hopeful we will be able to trade Kuzma and get more swings in this draft.

I agree, though I think only one more swing, with 2 and 26 already coming in. Three FRP rookies is plenty.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
JAR69
Senior
And1: 226

Post#697 » by JAR69 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:17 am

One thing the draft lottery showed was the increased risks of lightly protected picks with the new odds. Memphis had the 7th worst record, but is drafting 9th.

Kind of like our 2026 pick. I know others have argued there is very little chance that we lose it to the Knicks, but I'm not so sure. Memphis won 27 games this year. Depending on development and how we draft, I don't think think 27 wins in 2026 is impossible. I also don't want us setting up a tank in 2026. That will be Deni's sixth season in the league, and Coulibaly's third. I want them going all out for wins every night, and think they have a chance at them. I don't want them wondering if the organization wants them to lose.

That's a long way of saying I'd still like to trade with the Knicks to either get our pick back or decrease the protections (only lottery protected both years). Maybe Kuzma for the 24th pick this year, our pick back, and Bogdanovic. Even better, the MIL 2025 pick instead of one this year.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,420

Post#698 » by NatP4 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:29 am

pcbothwel wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Would or should we trade the #2 pick for assets in a trade back?

Simple. We either think Topic is "The Guy" and you take him at 2... Or its a big group to include him, Castle, Buzelis, Sheppard, Dillingham, Clingan, etc. you try to trade back 3-6 spots and take who is left.
I'd love to get picks 4/8 from SAS for 2 & 26. Or 2 + Kuz for 4, 8, and 35

4: Clingan/Buzelis
8: Sheppard/Castle/Holland
26: George/ Kolek/ Edey/ Holmes
35: Chomche/Almansa/Simpson/Dadiet

If Topic is out long term, I would do either of those deals.

Aim for 2/3 of Clingan/Sheppard/Buzelis, and Pacome Dadiet with the other 1st (either #26 or another mid 1st in a Kuzma trade).
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 923

Post#699 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue May 14, 2024 6:55 am

Dat2U wrote:

I'd be interested in a full draft swap with Portland.

2, 26, 51 for 7, 14, 34, 40
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 863

Post#700 » by 9 and 20 » Tue May 14, 2024 11:49 am

JAR69 wrote:One thing the draft lottery showed was the increased risks of lightly protected picks with the new odds. Memphis had the 7th worst record, but is drafting 9th.

Kind of like our 2026 pick. I know others have argued there is very little chance that we lose it to the Knicks, but I'm not so sure. Memphis won 27 games this year. Depending on development and how we draft, I don't think think 27 wins in 2026 is impossible. I also don't want us setting up a tank in 2026. That will be Deni's sixth season in the league, and Coulibaly's third. I want them going all out for wins every night, and think they have a chance at them. I don't want them wondering if the organization wants them to lose.

That's a long way of saying I'd still like to trade with the Knicks to either get our pick back or decrease the protections (only lottery protected both years). Maybe Kuzma for the 24th pick this year, our pick back, and Bogdanovic. Even better, the MIL 2025 pick instead of one this year.

I could see this. Kuz for one of the Knicks picks plus our pick back. Counts, kind of, as 2 first round picks. Maybe the Knicks throw something else in for good measure. Jericho Sims is a fun player and would be cool to have in DC.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?

Return to Washington Wizards