Wizards vote against lottery reform

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Wizards vote against lottery reform 

Post#1 » by keynote » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:17 pm

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-r ... ry-reform/

Just two days ago, higher-ups with both the Sixers and the league office expected lottery reform to pass by a vote of either 29-1 or 28-2. Over the weekend, Thunder GM Sam Presti initiated a stealth lobbying campaign against the league’s proposed changes, outlined here, which would have smoothed out the odds across the lottery. Presti raised concerns that such reform, piled atop other coming changes, would hurt small-market teams. A bunch of those non-glamour teams — including the Spurs and just about every branch of the Spurs management tree — eventually came around to the Sixers/Thunder “no” side. According to sources, the vote was 17-13 in favor of lottery reform, but 23 positive votes were needed for the proposal to pass.

This is a stunning defeat for the NBA. The league expected to ride the tide of anti-Sixers sentiment to an easy win and install the newfangled lottery weighting system immediately. The Sixers had accepted defeat, even though they would fight to the wire against reform; they were already talking themselves into how reform might help them in a couple of years, when the new odds might aid them into a lottery win as a run-of-the-mill bad team in something like the eighth or ninth slot.

Teams that voted "no": San Antonio, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, Utah, New Orleans, Miami, Phoenix, Milwaukee, Washington, Atlanta, Charlotte, Detroit, and Chicago (as seen in a footnote).

Thoughts?

I don't like seeing Teddy/EG voting with the "small market teams" (CHI notwithstanding). We're *not* a small market team, and I'd prefer our FO to focus on monetizing the geographic advantage we have than acting as if we're at an eternal insurmountable disadvantage in comparison to NY and LA.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Re: Wizards vote against lottery reform 

Post#2 » by nuposse04 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 pm

It doesn't matter if we're a small metropolitan or not...right now we are decent but our modern history suggests we are a mediocre franchise. Should **** ever hit the fan again a team that isn't named Lakers, Celtics, Knicks and Bulls needs a fall back option, and that is tanking.

High end talent wins, not every franchise can scout/build up players as well as the Spurs, thus why I still think the system is MOSTLY right. I don't like the blatant ineptitude the 76ers employ, but I will just hope it all collapses on Sam. I wouldn't **** over every other team that sucks "the right way" because he's cum dumpster.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#3 » by JWizmentality » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:58 am

Damn right! Ernie can screw this pooch in one offseason. I'd like some insurance thank you!
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#4 » by queridiculo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 pm

My thought? The proposed reform sucked.

I'm all for a small tweak, similar to what the NHL does with respect to the first overall pick, but beyond that, the worst teams should have a higher chance to win it than middling teams that barely missed the playoffs.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#5 » by Higga » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:45 pm

The lottery is fine. I really don't care all that much about it. Teams will tank, there is no preventing it, and winning the lottery doesn't guarantee you anything. Who was the last team that won a championship after winning the lottery, the Spurs? And they proved they don't need that kinda luck anyway.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.

Return to Washington Wizards