ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread Part XLV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,741

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLV 

Post#1861 » by JRoy » Thu Jan 4, 2024 11:47 pm

Got lost trying to find The Amazingly sucky Jordan Poole thread.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,300

Post#1862 » by AFM » Fri Jan 5, 2024 12:18 am

Good point. It should probably be pinned tbh.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,020

Post#1863 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 5, 2024 1:24 am

nate33 wrote:
Silvie Lysandra wrote:
payitforward wrote:Hmmm, I wonder whether OKC thinks they have a shot at a title this year or next?

If so, the one place they are clearly weak is at back-up Center.
Would they consider giving up draft capital plus an expiring salary in return for Daniel Gafford?

I know the arguments against Gaff -- but he would only have to play 15-20 minutes for them, & the guy collects a lot of boards (esp. on the offensive end), blocks a ton of shots, & posts a 70.3% TS%. All at an unproblematic salary that's under team control for a while.

Does this make sense?

& if so, what draft capital could we hope to get in return? At least one R1 pick & 1 R2 pick I'd say.

I'm sure they'd want to push Pokusevski on us....

How much draft capital would they need to give us to make this balanced?

I don't see OKC giving up Dort or Isaiah Joe when it is unnecessary. They don't need Wright when Wallace is the same type of player, and I don't think Gallo is mobile enough to fit into what they do.

An OKC trade for Gafford would be much simpler. It would just be Bertans for Gafford plus a small extra contract (probably Gill, though I'd prefer we just give up PBJ). Bertans has $5.25M owed to him next year even if he is cut, so it's kind of a bad deal. OKC would have to include pick incentive not only for Gafford, but for us absorbing Bertans' 2024-25 salary.

How much pick incentive would they need to include? I'd ask for the UTA 2024 pick plus a late FRP from 2025 (MIA or PHI).

I agree that OKC will not give away Dort or Joe in this kind of deal.

OTOH, nate has come up with quite a creative idea: it would be worth taking back Bertans & eating his guaranteed $5m next year if the rest of the return was attractive -- & 2 FRPs would do the job for me. I like this idea... a lot.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#1864 » by Jimmy Recard » Fri Jan 5, 2024 1:31 am

nate33 wrote:I wonder if OKC would consider trading Giddey for Kuzma?

The logic here is that with the development of Wallace as another good guard, they are less in need of Giddey's ball handling and might prefer to trade him for a guy with more size, scoring and defense (assuming here that Kuzma could play better D if his offensive role was more limited). The other issue is that Kuzma is locked into a long term descending contract which fits nice with OKC's long term needs as they eventually will have to pay Williams and Holmgren.

Giddey has had a rough season so far, but he has played much better over the last 10 games or so.

Was roaming the OKC subreddit a little while ago, a bunch of their fans want Deni, not Kuzma. Even suggesting a straight Deni for Giddey swap (this was right after the Giddey allegations came out fwiw). Their thinking was that Deni would make them even better defensively while replicating some of Giddey’s playmaking.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 902

Post#1865 » by badinage » Fri Jan 5, 2024 2:26 am

I think a good Kuzma trade partner for the Wizards is Dallas.

I’d want pick/s (but probably just ‘pick’) + some young players who could maybe emerge (Jaden Hardy?).
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1866 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 5, 2024 3:33 am

badinage wrote:I think a good Kuzma trade partner for the Wizards is Dallas.

I’d want pick/s (but probably just ‘pick’) + some young players who could maybe emerge (Jaden Hardy?).

In @700 rookie-year minutes, Jaden Hardy was a slightly above average scorer for an NBA 2-guard -- on above average usage as well.

OTOH, b/c he turned the ball over more than average, got fewer than average steals, & was a slightly below average on the offensive boards, his overall offensive effectiveness was slightly below average. The rest of his numbers overall were also below average.

That said, if you compare him to the rest of the '22-23 rookies who played 500 or more minutes, he was in the middle of the pack overall. I wouldn't give much for him, obviously, but he has a reasonable chance to wind up as a pretty good NBA player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,842

Post#1867 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 5, 2024 2:08 pm

Jimmy Recard wrote:
nate33 wrote:I wonder if OKC would consider trading Giddey for Kuzma?

The logic here is that with the development of Wallace as another good guard, they are less in need of Giddey's ball handling and might prefer to trade him for a guy with more size, scoring and defense (assuming here that Kuzma could play better D if his offensive role was more limited). The other issue is that Kuzma is locked into a long term descending contract which fits nice with OKC's long term needs as they eventually will have to pay Williams and Holmgren.

Giddey has had a rough season so far, but he has played much better over the last 10 games or so.

Was roaming the OKC subreddit a little while ago, a bunch of their fans want Deni, not Kuzma. Even suggesting a straight Deni for Giddey swap (this was right after the Giddey allegations came out fwiw). Their thinking was that Deni would make them even better defensively while replicating some of Giddey’s playmaking.

Yeah, that actually makes a ton of sense for them. Giddey is probably a slightly better overall player than Avdija, but the things Avdija does better (defense, strength) are what they need more, and the stuff Giddey does better (ball handling, playmaking) they don't need as much. And finally, the size and structure of Avdija's contract is perfect for them going forward.

I wouldn't do the deal because of the contract disparity. If Giddey signed a new contract that was roughly the size of Avdija's, I'd do it. But chances are, given Giddey's draft pedigree, he is going to sign a very expensive contract worth at least $20M a year and probably more. I'd rather keep Avdija on his contract.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#1868 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 5, 2024 2:46 pm

Agreed Nate... the Contract is what does it for me.
Also, with all things/value being equal, I much prefer picks and let Dawkins do his thing vs players on rookie deals. It aligns with our timeline and allows us to take the BPA.
I loved Giddey in the draft, but if we love Topic/Castle in the draft, then we get a duplication of skill set and I really want a blank slate to build this team.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 6,021

Post#1869 » by TGW » Fri Jan 5, 2024 2:46 pm

I’m not trading Deni for dirty @ss Giddey.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,011

Post#1870 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 5, 2024 5:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,852

Post#1871 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jan 5, 2024 6:52 pm

I was messing around with the trade checker, crux of the deal is:

OKC gets: Kevon Looney
Wizards get: Gary Payton II, Moses Moody, Cory Joseph and Kuminga + 2030 GSW pick is now top 4 protected (its top 20 now)
Warriors get: Kuzma

OKC gets big man depth for the playoffs, Warriors get rid of the youngsters, and Wiz get two guys they can evaluate for another full year before committing any long term deals, and the 2030 pick becomes better.

Basically, a Kuz for Kuminga swap won't work. They're not including Paul in the deal, adding Moody and Payton still isn't enough so it has to be a 3 team deal.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1872 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 5, 2024 7:47 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I was messing around with the trade checker, crux of the deal is:

OKC gets: Kevon Looney
Wizards get: Gary Payton II, Moses Moody, Cory Joseph and Kuminga + 2030 GSW pick is now top 4 protected (its top 20 now)
Warriors get: Kuzma

OKC gets big man depth for the playoffs, Warriors get rid of the youngsters, and Wiz get two guys they can evaluate for another full year before committing any long term deals, and the 2030 pick becomes better.

Basically, a Kuz for Kuminga swap won't work. They're not including Paul in the deal, adding Moody and Payton still isn't enough so it has to be a 3 team deal.

I was playing around with another GS deal involving Moody:

Washington trades: Delon Wright + TPE
Golden State trades: Moody + GPII

It saves Golden State $4M immediately which translates to roughly $20M after the luxtax is factored. It also gets them off of GPII's deal next year while giving them a better, healthier version of GPII in Delon Wright. One GS fan on the Trade Board thought it seemed fair.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1873 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 5, 2024 7:48 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I still think Kispert for Kuminga makes good sense for both teams.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,988

Post#1874 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 5, 2024 8:39 pm

nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can I drive Corey to the airport right now? That would be an awesome trade Nate. I'd be willing to send GS a couple of 2 rounders if need be.

Kuminga is bad/inconsistent from 3 but has a lot of 2-way potential and is 3 years younger than Kispert.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,377

Post#1875 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:05 pm

Speaking of Kispert, Rockets Blogger suggested the Rockets could use him although he didn't suggest a trade. Not sure what they would realistically give up- Rockets beat writer said he would be a good fit next to Eason and Thompson.

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/nba-trade-idea-rumors-houston-rockets-acquire-washington-wizards-corey-kispert
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#1876 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#1877 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1878 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:43 pm

Best news ever....
Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1879 » by payitforward » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:51 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Speaking of Kispert, Rockets Blogger suggested the Rockets could use him although he didn't suggest a trade. Not sure what they would realistically give up- Rockets beat writer said he would be a good fit next to Eason and Thompson.

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/nba-trade-idea-rumors-houston-rockets-acquire-washington-wizards-corey-kispert

I'd love to have Eason, but I don't see anyone else on their roster I really want right now. I.e. a guy they'd actually be willing to give up in such a deal.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,744

Post#1880 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 5, 2024 11:56 pm

Frichuela wrote:
nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Can I drive Corey to the airport right now? That would be an awesome trade Nate. I'd be willing to send GS a couple of 2 rounders if need be.

Kuminga is bad/inconsistent from 3 but has a lot of 2-way potential and is 3 years younger than Kispert.
Slow you roll on that kuminga isn't worth all that. You could talk your self into a 1-1 trade cuz it's fair you're trading shooting for athletic ability and youth and vise versa. But to add picks to the worse player in the trade who's gonna be up for a deal soon is EG level bad.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Washington Wizards