ImageImageImageImageImage

WaPo: Could Monumental (Wizards/Capitals) leave DC for NOVA? UPDATE: Monumental is NOT MOVING!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Is this just negotiation?

Yes, they're staying in DC and trying to upgrade the arena
37%
No, they will move to Virginia
63%

Total votes: 19

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Re: WaPo: Could Monumental (Wizards/Capitals) leave DC for NOVA? 

Post#21 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:56 pm

From the Politics Hour with Kojo Nnamdi yesterday. Chairman of the DC Council Phil Mendelson talks about the need for DC to prioritize Nationals Park (cause the city owns the stadium) and Capital One Arena.

Transcript at the link with the audio.

https://wamu.org/story/23/07/28/d-c-s-new-police-chief-pamela-smith-on-what-can-be-done-to-reduce-violent-crime-in-the-district/

NNAMDI
A somewhat similar situation is playing out with Capital One Arena. You met with owner Ted Leonsis last month about potential improvements to that nearly three decade old arena. Amongst talk that a new venue could be built in Arlington for the Wizards and Capitals, what did you discuss with Mr. Leonsis and should D.C. sports fans worry that we're soon going to be rooting for the Arlington Capitals?

MENDELSON
Well, I'm glad you brought this up.

NNAMDI
Morgan doesn't like that.

MENDELSON
There's a lot of distractions here about the new football stadium. And we shouldn't forget that we have existing teams and we want those existing teams to stay in the District. And both--I shouldn't say both because actually Monumental Sports is more than one team. Both ownership groups have significant costs. The District has contributed to the arena when it was constructed in the 1990s, again, in 2007 when I believe we provided about $50 million through borrowing. Again, we don't have money in our capital budget. But I do think that we need to continue to support the Capitals and the Wizards and the Mystics. And I don't know what that looks like, which is why I've met with Ted Leonsis. And I think that it's important that the District have conversations with them and that the District not forget about them in its zest and zeal to attract a football team.

MENDELSON
With the Nationals we own the stadium. So we have obligations there and that stadium is now 15 years old and there are pieces of it from deferred maintenance that are falling apart like the scoreboard. And so substantial repairs need to be made. And that's on us because we're the landlord. And that's also we have to figure out that financing and not screw that team in our zest and our zeal for a new team.

BASKIN
Well, it does seem impossible that D.C. would forget Ted Leonsis. But has he made any specific demands or asks, polite asks, in ways that he thinks D.C. could better support Capital One Arena, for example?

MENDELSON
My conversations have been--I would characterize general. But yes he has asked if the District will once again provide some financial assistance for major costs, renovations, upgrades to that facility. The facility is I believe one of the oldest in the hockey league. And I find it hard to believe, but 25 years later it's got a lot of upgrades that need to be made.

BASKIN
And so how should we be thinking as a city about prioritizing that ask?

MENDELSON
Well, in my view we should be prioritizing equally Monumental Sports and the National Stadium. And then after that--although as my position with regard to a football team is if they want to build a stadium on their nickel I'm okay with that. That could be a high priority because it's not costing us.

NNAMDI
Which is what Abe Pollin did with the arena in which basketball and hockey is now played. On to other issues. Here is John in Northwest Washington. John, you're on the air. Go ahead, please.

FAH1223
RealGM

Post#22 » by FAH1223 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46
Read on Twitter
?s=46
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,998

Post#23 » by TGW » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:44 pm

He should. Let the team leave for Virginia and call them the NOVA Wizards.

Let a new franchise come into the city and become the Washington Bullets. No one in the city cares about the Wizards.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#24 » by queridiculo » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:04 pm

I wish the grifter would just leave the city altogether.

It's too bad Leonsis created this toxic bundle of franchises so that the Wizards can't even be extricated to a place like Las Vegas for example.

I would rather Washington gets an expansion franchise then to continue to let Leonsis run things.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,366

Post#25 » by Kanyewest » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:18 pm

Makes sense for DC to let the team walk if the alternative is paying $600 million.
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#26 » by Endless Loop » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:32 pm

DC's murder rate is up 33% this year.
Car theft is up 111%.
The area around Capital One Arena has gone downhill.
This stuff is part of the equation when Ted decides where to go.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#27 » by FAH1223 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:48 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,292

Post#28 » by AFM » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:24 pm

Endless Loop wrote:DC's murder rate is up 33% this year.
Car theft is up 111%.

It's going to really go downhill if the arena moves. Back to the 90s.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,074

Post#29 » by queridiculo » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:25 pm

Car theft is up 111%.

LOL as if.

The only part of his consideration are his pockets.

Leonsis has made a career out of being a grifter.

I can't wait to root against the Alexandria River Rats.
AFM
General Manager

Post#30 » by AFM » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:34 pm

So he bought the caps for 85M, now valued at 1.2B (!!!) but now hes holding the teams hostage unless DC pays up--what a scum bag POS.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,891

Post#31 » by Wizardspride » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:48 pm

Car theft is up 111%.

From an emotional perspective, D.C. is the clear choice.

But from a purely business perspective.... :dontknow:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 481

Post#32 » by Tyrone Messby » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:53 pm

Ted is such an incredible scum bag. What did DC fans do to deserve this ass clown and Snyder for so long and the Lerners?
AFM
General Manager

Post#33 » by AFM » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:19 pm

Imagine trying to drive into nova at 6 something to catch a 7PM game
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#34 » by FAH1223 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:10 am

AFM wrote:Imagine trying to drive into nova at 6 something to catch a 7PM game

That ain’t happening

What’s great about Chinatown is I can park up 6th street easily and walk down.
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 176

Post#35 » by Endless Loop » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:33 am

I don't think Ted wanted to move. He spent more than $30 million in 2019 making upgrades. Fans were used to the location. It's central. It has Metro access.

Seems that three things went wrong.

First, financial incentives mattered for sure. But I suspect that Ted would have stayed in DC if DC's offer had just come close to what he got in VA.

Second, the logistics of fixing up the arena versus building a new, state of the art, facility was probably a factor. Making really big improvements would have been disruptive for a significant amount of time. And maybe the facility itself just isn't built to the same spec as modern arenas- something that could only be fixed at a cost that would equal or exceed the cost of building something new. Ted might have concluded that it just didn't make sense to try to fix up Capital One Arena.

Third, deterioration of the neighborhood really is a consideration. DC reducing the # of police from 27 to 3 didn't help safety, nor was it any sign of commitment to Monumental. It's the trend in safety that would concern me if I were Ted. Is DC going to keep trending down? The mayor only two years ago was happily defunding the police. Has she changed? Is this a risk he wants to take?

The Wiz and Caps are in a highly competitive business. They need facilities as good as or better than their competition in order just to keep up with what other teams spend on staff, training, etc. Ultimately, the quality of the teams he puts on the floor will be greatly affected by the amount of cash that Monumental generates. If they have more revenue, they can plow a lot of it back into better training facilities, more staff, etc.

If we want the Wiz and Caps to be world class teams, they need world class facilities.

Last thing- I'm sure that Ted tried hard to make a deal with the District. They either couldn't or wouldn't get there.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,974

Post#36 » by Frichuela » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:43 am

AFM wrote:So he bought the caps for 85M, now valued at 1.2B (!!!) but now hes holding the teams hostage unless DC pays up--what a scum bag POS.

1000%. Turd is such a moron.

As a DC resident, the move would really f**** me up.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,366

Post#37 » by Kanyewest » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 am

Looks like it is happening for sure now

Wizards, Capitals owner to announce plans to move teams to Northern Virginia, sources say
https://wtop.com/local/2023/12/wizards-capitals-owner-to-announce-intention-to-move-teams-to-northern-virginia-sources-say/?fbclid=IwAR25CfLK32zToc-5dkeqB_TY4v0RR-mzA5trbTVZLlqMHmQ-MfH8f0C2JXQ
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,998

Post#38 » by TGW » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:08 am

Kanyewest wrote:Looks like it is happening for sure now

Wizards, Capitals owner to announce plans to move teams to Northern Virginia, sources say
https://wtop.com/local/2023/12/wizards-capitals-owner-to-announce-intention-to-move-teams-to-northern-virginia-sources-say/?fbclid=IwAR25CfLK32zToc-5dkeqB_TY4v0RR-mzA5trbTVZLlqMHmQ-MfH8f0C2JXQ

Of course it's happening. DC isn't shelling out 9 figures for a team no one cares about and has stunk for the better part of 40 years.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#39 » by FAH1223 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:17 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=46
AFM
General Manager

Post#40 » by AFM » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:30 am

best twitter comment: "Why they need a new stadium just to lose by 45 , now I could see if they were winning"

good point kek they should be playing in the AU Rec Center gym until they learn the basics

Return to Washington Wizards