ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards agree to terms with Eric Maynor

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Deeptu McPullup
Junior
And1: 28

Re: Wizards agree to terms with Eric Maynor 

Post#241 » by Deeptu McPullup » Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:46 am

Portland's priority this offseason was also to acquire a center, so renouncing Maynor early was pretty well a given (even though they ended up getting a cheaper center, they wouldn't know what all was available only July 1st).

My initial underwhelmed reaction is given pause by it seeming that every Western Conference or Portland fan considers Maynor a good get. I saw him a fair bit on Utah, as that was a nice team to watch offensively, but it's all rather hazy now.

nate33 wrote:Yeah, my thinking is that Maynor is going to be hard to judge using on/off numbers. In OKC, he was backing up Westbrook, one of the best PG's in the game. Hard not to be a minus in that situation. And in Portland, he played on the team with most lopsided starter/bench disparity in the league. Portland's starters were rock solid and their bench was dreadful. Again, no place to pad one's on/off numbers.

Good point.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,367

Post#242 » by verbal8 » Fri Jul 5, 2013 11:38 am

TGW wrote:I also think he's a downgrade compared to Price, and I think it was stupid to give him a player option next season. Whatever....his signing doesn't make or break the season. It's just a constant reminder of the weak ass front office we have here in DC.

The player option is the part that really irritates me. If was signed the BAE, Early Bird rights would allow retaining him with any contract up to a full MLE deal.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#243 » by Nivek » Fri Jul 5, 2013 3:40 pm

Haven't read through the thread so I'm probably hitting points others have made, but: It strikes me as one of those Ernie, "I've always liked Player X -- ever since I saw him at age 10..." signings.

Here's Maynor's PPA year by year (100 = average; higher is better; 45 = replacement level) compared to A.J. Price:

Code: Select all

YEAR    MAYNOR  PRICE
2009-10 56      74
2010-11 57      36
2011-12 33      58
2012-13 32      84

This was worth the small exception plus a player option on a second season? Maybe he suddenly, somehow, someway becomes better than terrible. Maybe he's one of the nicest guys in the world or something and his teammates just adore him. This is a signing that makes very little sense to me.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 6,029

Post#244 » by TGW » Fri Jul 5, 2013 3:50 pm

Ahhhh....nothing like having Nivek on your side.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#245 » by fishercob » Fri Jul 5, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm really most interested in the race between the Maynor and Webster signing threads.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,524

Post#246 » by mhd » Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:03 pm

Nivek wrote:Haven't read through the thread so I'm probably hitting points others have made, but: It strikes me as one of those Ernie, "I've always liked Player X -- ever since I saw him at age 10..." signings.

Here's Maynor's PPA year by year (100 = average; higher is better; 45 = replacement level) compared to A.J. Price:

YEAR    MAYNOR  PRICE
2009-10 56      74
2010-11 57      36
2011-12 33      58
2012-13 32      84

This was worth the small exception plus a player option on a second season? Maybe he suddenly, somehow, someway becomes better than terrible. Maybe he's one of the nicest guys in the world or something and his teammates just adore him. This is a signing that makes very little sense to me.

Great stuff Kevin. I think Maynor is a downgrade and respresents the continued idiotic sentiment of the FO to go after "local" players.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,270

Post#247 » by Dat2U » Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:11 pm

Nivek wrote:Haven't read through the thread so I'm probably hitting points others have made, but: It strikes me as one of those Ernie, "I've always liked Player X -- ever since I saw him at age 10..." signings.

Ernie is the definition of old school. Doesn't matter what the advanced numbers or most recent scouting reports say, if Ernie liked a player 6 years ago, there's a good chance he still likes him today.

My biggest gripe is why blow your entire load on the first day of free agency to spend $22 mil on a position you just spent a #3 pick on and a backup guard that wasn't getting a ton of interest? I would have much preferred the wait and see approach to see if anyone slipped through the cracks where some potential bargains could be had.
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#248 » by Nivek » Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:28 pm

Dat2U wrote:

Ernie is the definition of old school. Doesn't matter what the advanced numbers or most recent scouting reports say, if Ernie liked a player 6 years ago, there's a good chance he still likes him today.

My biggest gripe is why blow your entire load on the first day of free agency to spend $22 mil on a position you just spent a #3 pick on and a backup guard that wasn't getting a ton of interest? I would have much preferred the wait and see approach to see if anyone slipped through the cracks where some potential bargains could be had.

Yeah. I didn't understand the rush to pay retail on Webster and lock up a PG for which there couldn't be much market.

I don't have a problem with taking a shot on Rice, per se. The second round is a great place to gamble on a guy with a few warts, but still with potential. My complaint there was that Rice is coming in to a spot that's already filled when there were guys with 1st round grades (in YODA at least) available who might have filled needs. I'm not an advocate of need-based drafting, of course, but when there's a guy still there who I had rated higher...and he fits a need...

Still need to look at Rice's D-League stats. In YODA, he had a late 2nd round grade as a freshman, even after the age adjustment.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#249 » by fishercob » Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:28 pm

YEAR    MAYNOR  PRICE
2009-10 56      74
2010-11 57      36
2011-12 33      58
2012-13 32      84

Out of curiosity, what are Webster's career PPA's by season? I'm wondering if there's anything to the hope that the Wizards identified something in Maynor, like they may have in Webster, that led them to believe he'd be better here than he had been before.
— Steve Martin
Nivek
Head Coach

Post#250 » by Nivek » Fri Jul 5, 2013 4:38 pm

Interesting question with Webster. Here are Webster's PPA numbers by season:

2006 -- 61
2007 -- 52
2008 -- 88
2009 -- inj
2010 -- 88
2011 -- 62
2012 -- 67
2013 -- 114

Webster's non-shooting numbers (adjusted for pace) were about the same last season as they've been throughout his career. He'd always been a decent shooter, but last season he abruptly improved his shooting (including the best FT% since his rookie season). He also had a career high in assists. Biggest issue for Webster was finally getting healthy. When healthy, his performance had been at least in the vicinity of average.

With Maynor, there's always the hope that he'll click in Washington where he hasn't elsewhere. His best season was about as good as Webster's worst, though.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

fishercob
RealGM

Post#251 » by fishercob » Fri Jul 5, 2013 5:16 pm

Nivek wrote:Interesting question with Webster. Here are Webster's PPA numbers by season:

2006 -- 61
2007 -- 52
2008 -- 88
2009 -- inj
2010 -- 88
2011 -- 62
2012 -- 67
2013 -- 114

Webster's non-shooting numbers (adjusted for pace) were about the same last season as they've been throughout his career. He'd always been a decent shooter, but last season he abruptly improved his shooting (including the best FT% since his rookie season). He also had a career high in assists. Biggest issue for Webster was finally getting healthy. When healthy, his performance had been at least in the vicinity of average.

With Maynor, there's always the hope that he'll click in Washington where he hasn't elsewhere. His best season was about as good as Webster's worst, though.

Well it feeds into the positive narrative that some good health and a stable role could help spike his production. PPA doesn't exist in a vacuum from. These factors, right? Those things seemed to have helped Webster plenty.
— Steve Martin
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,059

Post#252 » by DCZards » Fri Jul 5, 2013 5:19 pm

fishercob wrote:Well it feeds into the positive narrative that some good health and a stable role could help spike his production. PPA doesn't exist in a vacuum from. These factors, right? Those things seemed to have helped Webster plenty.

+1
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 786

Post#253 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jul 5, 2013 6:00 pm

+2
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 4,033

Post#254 » by tontoz » Fri Jul 5, 2013 6:20 pm

YEAR    MAYNOR  PRICE
2009-10 56      74
2010-11 57      36
2011-12 33      58
2012-13 32      84

So if Maynor doubles his production over last season he still won't be as productive as Price was. Yeah, i can definitely see why they had such a sense of urgency to sign him.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#255 » by Upper Decker » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:20 pm

He'll get healthy and prove your wrong, tontoz!! The only thing that's held him back for four year is injuries!(green font)
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#256 » by Dat2U » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:31 pm

DCZards wrote:+1

LyricalRico wrote:+2

You two should just get a room... at Ernie's house.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#257 » by DCZards » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:51 pm

Dat2U wrote:

Give it a break, dat. Your routine is getting a little old.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#258 » by Dat2U » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:53 pm

DCZards wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Give it a break, dat. Your routine is getting a little old and tiresome.

I'm obviously not the only one with old and tired ass routine.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#259 » by DCZards » Fri Jul 5, 2013 7:57 pm

Dat2U wrote:
DCZards wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

Yeah, but you're the only one who resorts to personal attacks on posters' whose opinions you don't agree with. Like you said yourself, you can be rather irritating.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#260 » by Dat2U » Fri Jul 5, 2013 8:03 pm

DCZards wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
DCZards wrote:

Yeah, but you're the only one who resorts to personal attacks on posters' whose opinions you don't agree with.

If you consider "get a room" an actual personal attack then just go ahead and block me, because right now your only encouraging me to actually go there.

Return to Washington Wizards