ImageImageImageImageImage

Paul 'The Truth' Pierce appreciation thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Paul 'The Truth' Pierce appreciation thread 

Post#321 » by fishercob » Sat May 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Wizard Paul Pierce >>>>>>>> Wizard Michael Jordan (I want to puke every time I see an MJ jersey at the phone booth).

I hope Paul runs it back one more time with the WizKids. I hope he talks to fellow Cali boy Kevin Love (they share an agent) and brings him to DC in one final act of leadership.

WHat a class act Pierce is. Tough. Clutch.

Get some rest, Paul. You have earned it.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#322 » by NyCeEvO » Sun May 17, 2015 1:02 am

Sad to see the run end for him. His clutch play throughout the playoffs provided another exciting element to an already great post-season (injuries aside).
Nigel Tufnel
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#323 » by Nigel Tufnel » Sun May 17, 2015 1:28 am

Dont get me wrong. PP gave us some great moments in the playoffs. But he easily gave up more points than he scored. His defense is terrible. He was aleays a step behind and most of the time he just hobbled back and forth between the three point lines.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#324 » by FAH1223 » Sun May 17, 2015 1:44 am

Nigel Tufnel wrote:Dont get me wrong. PP gave us some great moments in the playoffs. But he easily gave up more points than he scored. His defense is terrible. He was aleays a step behind and most of the time he just hobbled back and forth between the three point lines.

It was a bad matchup in this round for him.

I thought the last two games were his worst defensively.

But to expect him at 37 years old to guard Paul Millsap or Al Horford is suicide.

He can still give us 20-25 minutes per game off the bench at SF/PF. Otto takes the starter's minutes and we hopefully have a young PF next season.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,193

Re: Re: Paul 'The Truth' Pierce appreciation thread 

Post#325 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 17, 2015 6:01 am

fishercob wrote:Wizard Paul Pierce >>>>>>>> Wizard Michael Jordan (I want to puke every time I see an MJ jersey at the phone booth).

I hope Paul runs it back one more time with the WizKids. I hope he talks to fellow Cali boy Kevin Love (they share an agent) and brings him to DC in one final act of leadership.

Hypothetically speaking, if you replace Beal with 39-40 year old MJ, and let Porter and Wall flank him I think Jordan would have looked better than he did. In 2002, MJ was playing with Lue, Kwame Brown, Popeye Jones, Stackhouse, Laettner, 57 year old Oakley, etc.

Pierce has been clutch in the playoffs and a great teammate. Old MJ had less around him. Pierce came to a playoff team. I think MJ formerly being part owner, him being really old for a player, and being at odds with Pollin made him cranky. MJ was never a happy camper, and his team never made the playoffs.

IIRC old MJ was still an average to good NBA SG.

To your point, Old Pierce will always be beloved. MJ just made Abe Pollin some money.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,193

Re: Re: Re: Paul 'The Truth' Pierce appreciation thread 

Post#326 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun May 17, 2015 6:07 am

Double post.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Re: Re: Paul 'The Truth' Pierce appreciation thread 

Post#327 » by dandridge 10 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
fishercob wrote:Wizard Paul Pierce >>>>>>>> Wizard Michael Jordan (I want to puke every time I see an MJ jersey at the phone booth).

Hypothetically speaking, if you replace Beal with 39-40 year old MJ, and let Porter and Wall flank him I think Jordan would have looked better than he did. In 2002, MJ was playing with Lue, Kwame Brown, Popeye Jones, Stackhouse, Laettner, 57 year old Oakley, etc.

Pierce has been clutch in the playoffs and a great teammate. Old MJ had less around him. Pierce came to a playoff team. I think MJ formerly being part owner, him being really old for a player, and being at odds with Pollin made him cranky. MJ was never a happy camper, and his team never made the playoffs.

IIRC old MJ was still an average to good NBA SG.

To your point, Old Pierce will always be beloved. MJ just made Abe Pollin some money.

For me personally, it wasn't because Jordan was just average or good or because that he was cranky that I did not like him as a Wizard. I didn't like Jordan because I don't think he cared at all about the team or his teammates. It was all about him and his personal farewell tour. He came back not because he wanted to mentor our younger players but to show them that he could be 40 years old and be better than them.

Paul Pierce has demonstrated from the beginning that the team came first over him. He made it a point at the beginning to declare Wall and Beal the leaders of the team, not him. He mostly deferred to them for last second shots during the regular season without getting angry. He accepted his role as mentor and as somewhat as a role player, instead of trying to be the MAN.

I have thoroughly enjoyed PP this year and I too hope he stays one more year. If he retires, I think the Wizards should immediately offer him a job as assistant coach. I think he could serve in a similar role as Sam Cassell, but even better. However, my guess is that he would go back to the Celtics if they offered him a similar role.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#328 » by hands11 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:44 am

FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#329 » by FreeBalling » Fri May 22, 2015 11:29 pm

I hope the Truth returns for a second year. Even if his role is reduced. I'm sure there will be a readership role for him and he's so clutch in the final two minutes.

Thanks for playing in DC Paul, can't say I was a big fan before you played here. However, I know theTruth now on why so many fans love your style of play.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 4,002

Post#330 » by tontoz » Sat May 23, 2015 12:36 am

Pierce will definitely be back next season. He obviously likes it here. I dont think there is any chance he leaves.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,098

Post#331 » by exculpatory » Sat May 23, 2015 12:46 am

Great posts!

It would be heartbreaking but simultaneously poetic if the last shot ever taken/made by this larger-than-life Celtic legend, first ballot HOFER, arguably most clutch player of his generation, & most definitely the most underrated Super Star of his generation was a step back 3 from deep in the left corner literally 0.1 seconds after the game clock expired in Game 6 Round 2.

Try this out at age 37-38:

RS 73 games: 12 PPG on 45% & 39% & TS% 58% & 4RPG & 2APG playing only 26 MPG & attempting only 9 FGAs per game.

POs 10 games: 15 PPG on 49% & 52% & TS% 68% & 4.2RPG playing only 30 MPG & attempting only 10 FGAs per game.

Wrap your mind around this again!!! 33-63 58% from 3!!!! And most of them MEGA-CLUTCH!!!

Totally mind **** Raptors with his skill & his intellect.

Mentors the **** out of Porter, Wall & Beal as only a Celtic Champion/Legend could have.

Makes the GAMEWINNING buzzer beater in Game 3 Round 2; Barely misses GAMEWINNING buzzer beater in Game 4 Round 2; Scores 22 points in Game 5 Round 2 including TWO 3 pointers in the last minute - the 3 pointer made with 5 seconds to play SHOULD have been the GAMEWINNER; Makes the GAMETYING 3 pointer literally 0.1 second after the red light comes on in Game 6 Round 2. That run of supernatural clutchness between Games 3 & Game 6 (at any age, let alone age 37 1/2) was simply stupefying.

Will he return for 1 more year & retire with close to 26K points as the 11th leading scorer in NBA history (currently #16) (and ahead of freaking Hondo), & the third in NBA history in 3 point shots made? He ALREADY is one of THREE in NBA history with >25K points, >7000 rebounds, >4000 assists & >1500 steals. I have mixed feelings.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Paul 'The Truth' Pierce appreciation thread 

Post#332 » by Induveca » Sat May 23, 2015 1:11 am

exculpatory wrote:Great posts!

It would be heartbreaking but simultaneously poetic if the last shot ever taken/made by this larger-than-life Celtic legend, first ballot HOFER, arguably most clutch player of his generation, & most definitely the most underrated Super Star of his generation was a step back 3 from deep in the left corner literally 0.1 seconds after the game clock expired in Game 6 Round 2.

RS 73 games: 12 PPG on 45% & 39% & TS% 58% & 4RPG & 2APG playing only 26 MPG & attempting only 9 FGAs per game.

POs 10 games: 15 PPG on 49% & 52% & TS% 68% & 4.2RPG playing only 30 MPG & attempting only 10 FGAs per game.

Wrap your mind around this again!!! 33-63 58% from 3!!!! And most of them MEGA-CLUTCH!!!

Mentors the **** out of Porter, Wall & Beal as only a Celtic Champion/Legend could have.

Makes the GAMEWINNING buzzer beater in Game 3 Round 2; Barely misses GAMEWINNING buzzer beater in Game 4 Round 2; Scores 22 points in Game 5 Round 2 including TWO 3 pointers in the last minute - the 3 pointer made with 5 seconds to play SHOULD have been the GAMEWINNER; Makes the GAMETYING 3 pointer literally 0.1 second after the red light comes on in Game 6 Round 2. That run of supernatural clutchness between Games 3 & Game 6 (at any age, let alone age 37 1/2) was simply stupefying.

Will he return for 1 more year & retire with close to 26K points as the 11th leading scorer in NBA history (currently #16) (and ahead of freaking Hondo), & the third in NBA history in 3 point shots made? He ALREADY is one of THREE in NBA history with >25K points, >7000 rebounds, >4000 assists & >1500 steals. I have mixed feelings.

exculpatory
RealGM

Post#333 » by exculpatory » Sat May 23, 2015 1:35 am

Induveca wrote:
exculpatory wrote:Great posts!

Deleted
check your PMs
- nate33
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#334 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat May 23, 2015 1:51 pm

C'mon peeps.

No need to channel our outrage at our own brothers and sisters.

ledouche is still playing.... And for Cleveland for gawds sake. Let's bring the vitriol, for him. Let's unite in our irrational homeristic, fantastic, snarky hatred for he who need not dribble.
In Rizzo we trust
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#335 » by keynote » Sat May 23, 2015 2:16 pm

Why don't you two meet in Temecula?
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#336 » by JWizmentality » Sat May 23, 2015 2:39 pm

exculpatory
RealGM

Post#337 » by exculpatory » Sat May 23, 2015 4:12 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Image

That made me laugh.

Very cute.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,574

Post#338 » by closg00 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:28 pm

No surprise re: The tap article about PP opting-out to have his final season with the Clippers. Let the rumors begin.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,290

Post#339 » by AFM » Mon May 25, 2015 7:58 pm

"widely expected to leave for LAC" per wiretap
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#340 » by FAH1223 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:17 pm

Wasn't there chatter of him going to the Clippers last year?

Return to Washington Wizards