ImageImageImageImageImage

Deni Avdija - Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 8,013

Re: Deni Avdija - Part II 

Post#341 » by payitforward » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:35 am

nate33 wrote:Over the last 22 games, Deni is averaging 15.5 points, 7.6 boards and 3.8 assists on a .637 TS% and .469 3P% while being our best perimeter defender. Those aren't per 36 numbers. Those are his actual numbers (playing 29.3 minutes per game). Per 36, he is averaging 19.0 points, 9.3 rebounds and 4.7 assists.

Everyone is fawning over Jalen Johnson and as an MIP frontrunner, yet Johnson is averaging 15.7 points, 8.5 boards, 3.4 assists in 33 minutes on a .601 TS% and .366 3P% with Trae setting him up. Per 36, Johnson is averaging 16.7 points, 9.0 boards and 3.7 assists.

So over his last 22 games anyway, Deni is scoring, rebounding and assisting better than Jalen Johnson, with a better TS% and a significantly better 3P%.

Deni has improved significantly more this year than Jalen Johnson, no question about it. But... that's because Johnson was already terrific last year! :) Overall on the season, I'd say he's been a bit better than Deni (but... so what?).

Jalen Johnson was drafted #20 in 2021. Both Zards & I declared back then that we'd have taken him with our #15 pick (used on Kispert, obviously).
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,043

Post#342 » by DCZards » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:13 am

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:Over the last 22 games, Deni is averaging 15.5 points, 7.6 boards and 3.8 assists on a .637 TS% and .469 3P% while being our best perimeter defender. Those aren't per 36 numbers. Those are his actual numbers (playing 29.3 minutes per game). Per 36, he is averaging 19.0 points, 9.3 rebounds and 4.7 assists.

Everyone is fawning over Jalen Johnson and as an MIP frontrunner, yet Johnson is averaging 15.7 points, 8.5 boards, 3.4 assists in 33 minutes on a .601 TS% and .366 3P% with Trae setting him up. Per 36, Johnson is averaging 16.7 points, 9.0 boards and 3.7 assists.

So over his last 22 games anyway, Deni is scoring, rebounding and assisting better than Jalen Johnson, with a better TS% and a significantly better 3P%.

Deni has improved significantly more this year than Jalen Johnson, no question about it. But... that's because Johnson was already terrific last year! :) Overall on the season, I'd say he's been a bit better than Deni (but... so what?).

Jalen Johnson was drafted #20 in 2021. Both Zards & I declared back then that we'd have taken him with our #15 pick (used on Kispert, obviously).

Yup…I was on the Jalen Johnson bandwagon. His athleticism is off the charts…and, while still raw, his all-around offensive game could be seen at Duke.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,168

Post#343 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:33 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:

Yup…I was on the Jalen Johnson bandwagon. His athleticism is off the charts…and, while still raw, his all-around offensive game could be seen at Duke.

They're posting near identical numbers on the season per 36 with Deni having the advantage in assists (+1.3) while Jalen is leading in rebounds (+0.7), steals (+0.3), and blocks (+0.4). Deni is making up ground on rebounding after a slow start to the season and has an ever so slight advantage in TS%. Deni is about a year older, but Deni doesn't play with the offensive firepower Jalen does; Deni for some mind-boggling reasons averages 6 less minutes per game on the season too. Pretty similar players all around, though. I like Kispert, but I'd love both Deni and Jalen.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 899

Post#344 » by badinage » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:38 pm

And who took a chance and drafted Jalen Johnson? Found that gem late-ish in the draft? Travis Schlenk.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,790

Post#345 » by nate33 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:00 pm

Some nice Avdija highlights from the Dallas game:

Read on Twitter
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,976

Post#346 » by Frichuela » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:14 pm

badinage wrote:And who took a chance and drafted Jalen Johnson? Found that gem late-ish in the draft? Travis Schlenk.

Good point. I hope that for our sake Charlotte does not offer him the GM job (he's reportedly in the mix..).
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,168

Post#347 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:25 pm

nate33 wrote:Some nice Avdija highlights from the Dallas game:

Read on Twitter

Maybe the most variety we've seen from him in a game. Overpower drives, post ups, finger rolls, floaters, countermoves, threes, even a nice pull up mid-ranger when the defense sagged off expecting a drive.

Save from his slump in free throws, his offense has really been fun to watch lately. Obviously still turning the ball over too much, but I'm okay with it them being higher as he get more used to taking on a larger role on offense.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#348 » by NatP4 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:42 am

On a heater. Now up to 17 points 8 rebounds 5 assists on 61% TS. Ridiculous bargain contract moving forward.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,139

Post#349 » by J-Ves » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:59 am

Deni should fire his agent yesterday
Wizraeli
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#350 » by Wizraeli » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:41 am

I keep saying this for 3.5 years, if the team will move the ball on offense Deni will look like a completely different player, I know everyone will focus on Deni's scoring, but I'm more happy to see on the court something that resembles a team that plays together.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#351 » by Frichuela » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:32 am

Wizraeli wrote:I keep saying this for 3.5 years, if the team will move the ball on offense Deni will look like a completely different player, I know everyone will focus on Deni's scoring, but I'm more happy to see on the court something that resembles a team that plays together.

This. 100% agreed.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#352 » by Frichuela » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:36 am

Very early days, but I wonder if we are about to see something similar to Lauri Markannen’s leap last year. Difference is Lauri was 25 and Deni is only 23 :nod:
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 4,013

Post#353 » by tontoz » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:58 pm

Wizraeli wrote:I keep saying this for 3.5 years, if the team will move the ball on offense Deni will look like a completely different player, I know everyone will focus on Deni's scoring, but I'm more happy to see on the court something that resembles a team that plays together.

:lol:

Do you think a sudden change in the offense is the reason Deni is going off?

Deni is doing almost all of his damage off the dribble. He is just going at guys 1 on 1. He isn't scoring from off ball catch and shoot plays like Klay Thompson. He gets the ball on the perimeter and drives, something he seemed scared to do in his 1st 3 seasons.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#354 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:01 pm

tontoz wrote:

Deni is doing almost all of his damage off the dribble. He is just going at guys 1 on 1. He isn't scoring from off ball catch and shoot plays like Klay Thompson. He gets the ball on the perimeter and drives, something he seemed scared to do in his 1st 3 seasons.

Agreed. This play wasn't just some change in the team's offensive philosophy. Deni just got better. The idea that he was capable of doing this 2 years ago but we just refused to try it is silly.
Wizraeli
Sophomore
And1: 155

Post#355 » by Wizraeli » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:05 pm

tontoz wrote:

What's changed is his confidence, and that's because of the ball movement and that's what I was saying that will happen from day 1, other than saying that I won't bother to engage in a serious conversation with you, I don't know what's your problem and the reason for your awful attitude, but I recommend you seek professional help to deal with all of that rage.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#356 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:11 pm

If this breakout is real and Deni is now a consistent and efficient 20/9/4 player with good D, that may cause a problem with our protected first round pick owed to NY.

Deni might actually be a legit foundational player - maybe not quite an All-Star, but in the Mikal Bridges/OG Anunoby tier of guys that everyone wants because they help you win. We can still tank with one guy that good on the roster, but if we find another one, it's going to be tough. If Coulibably makes a leap by Year 3, or our 2024 draft pick makes a leap in Year 2, or our 2025 draft pick (Flagg?) has a great rookie year, the team might not finish in the bottom 8 in the 2025/26 season.

I guess that's a good problem to have. It's pretty exciting to feel legitimate hope for the first time since John Wall got hurt six years ago.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#357 » by tontoz » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:12 pm

Wizraeli wrote:
tontoz wrote:

What's changed is his confidence, and that's because of the ball movement and that's what I was saying that will happen from day 1, other than saying that I won't bother to engage in a serious conversation with you, I don't know what's your problem and the reason for your awful attitude, but I recommend you seek professional help to deal with all of that rage.

All of Deni's highlights from recent games are on youtube. Why don't you point out the examples of Deni scoring off "ball movement". I won't hold my breath.

Kuzma and Poole didn't suddenly decide to play unselfishly.

You are just too obtuse to recognize the obvious. Deni can't score unless he actually does something with the ball when he gets it. He wasn't doing that for 3 years. Now he is.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,845

Post#358 » by Rafael122 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:13 pm

Didn't Deni have a hot stretch last year as well and then cooled off significantly? I'd like to see this the rest of the way, not just for a month.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#359 » by tontoz » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:20 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Didn't Deni have a hot stretch last year as well and then cooled off significantly? I'd like to see this the rest of the way, not just for a month.

Not really. His highest scoring month last year was 10.5 ppg with a TS of 52.4%.

This month Deni is averaging 23ppg with a TS of 71%.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#360 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards