ImageImageImageImageImage

Say it ain't so, Joe: Gibbs to resign

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#41 » by Cramer » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:15 pm

Rafael122 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Teams like the Arizona Cardinals are always well below the cap but they never use the money. Who's to say Dallas will spend $10 million in free agency?

Skins will get under the cap, spend money if necessary and then head into camp. It's that simple. They've been doing it for years, they've had this 'disadvantage' for years and they will continue doing it. They are usually in the top 5 in terms of generating revenue, so they can absorb whatever cap penalty comes their way. That's a luxury teams like the Titans don't have.

As for Dallas, at least they have the option of spending it, and Jerry generally does, and also uses it to get his key players resigned early at bargain rates as opposed to constant restructuring.

And guys, it ain't the NBA, it's a hard cap, you can't just absorb the penalty.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#42 » by yungal07 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:22 pm

We'll see Cowgirls fan.

I'd bet any amount of money that Cowher is coaching the Redskins next year. I'll bet on the millionaire Jewish guy who gets damn near everything he wants over the word of some Cowgirl fan who posts on a message board.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,846

Post#43 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Looking at http://www.skinsfans.com/pcinoz/Cut_Trade_Savings.htm the players that are most likely to get cut will be Brunell (5.0 2008 cap savings), Springs (5.0), Lloyd (2.405), and Jansen (4.98). That's 17.385. Next most likely is Daniels (3.1). I think it would be a mistake to cut Portis (5.564), Washington (4.425), or Griffin (4.2). And all these cuts would be after June 1, meaning there's a bigger hit in 2009 - causing a bigger problem to deal with then. The salary cap better go way up.

Lloyds gone. Brunell's an URFA so his deal must have had a voided clause in there.

Daniels is probably gone.

Springs will either get a contract extension or be cut.

Portis is willing to restructure, and I wouldn't be surprised if Griffin and Marcus follow that as well.

I'm still not sure why we need to worry. It's business as usual.
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Cramer » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:35 pm

yungal07 wrote:We'll see Cowgirls fan.

I'd bet any amount of money that Cowher is coaching the Redskins next year. I'll bet on the millionaire Jewish guy who gets damn near everything he wants over the word of some Cowgirl fan who posts on a message board.

Did the elementary schools get out early today? Any amount of money? What, you've been saving your allowance?

And you really added a lot to the conversation.
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 112

Post#45 » by W. Unseld » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:55 pm

yungal07 wrote:I'd bet any amount of money that Cowher is coaching the Redskins next year. I'll bet on the millionaire Jewish guy who gets damn near everything he wants over the word of some Cowgirl fan who posts on a message board.

I am curious as to why everyone seems so sold on Cowher. I would hate for that amount of change to hit the organization unless they were planning on using that year to improve their cap situation which Cowher would never agree to.

I also agree w/Cramer that the Coach being the GM pretty much never works and I've already heard $10,000,000.00 a year rumors for Cowher. If I'm Snyder I try to sign Greg Williams for something reasonable so everyone in the league doesn't use him for leverage in contract negotiations.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#46 » by Wizards2Lottery » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:04 pm

Its amazing that it took him only one year to turn around this team. He took over with a bunch of crap that Spurrier left behind. Hes leaving us with a team thats now made the plays 2 of the last 3 years.

He wasn't a great coach but I love what he did for us. Hes turned our franchise around and left us with a solid core.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#47 » by Soup's Uncle » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:18 pm

I'd just hate to see Cowher and a whole new coaching Staff come in, b/c right there, we are gonna take a step back and be crappy next year.
F Street = Wall Street
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:29 pm

Soup's Uncle wrote:I'd just hate to see Cowher and a whole new coaching Staff come in, b/c right there, we are gonna take a step back and be crappy next year.

Not necessarily. Mike Tomlin came in for Pittsburgh and his team went what...11-5?
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 902

Post#49 » by badinage » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:06 pm

Don't know if anyone else saw it, but there was a good piece by Feinstein today on Washington Post.com about Gibbs and his insistent and creepy evangelizing. If anything, the piece was too evenhanded.

Gibbs isn't as bad as Mel Gibson -- yikes! -- but his sanctimony and piety and constant invocation of "Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" and "good Christian" act wore on me. It's annoying, but also, I think, dangerous.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:07 pm

Gibbs isn't a Bible thumper, but you can't deny faith brought everyone closer together after Sean's tragedy.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 902

Post#51 » by badinage » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:09 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Gibbs isn't a Bible thumper, but you can't deny faith brought everyone closer together after Sean's tragedy.

He isn't???

What is he, then?
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#52 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:18 pm

badinage wrote:Don't know if anyone else saw it, but there was a good piece by Feinstein today on Washington Post.com about Gibbs and his insistent and creepy evangelizing. If anything, the piece was too evenhanded.

Gibbs isn't as bad as Mel Gibson -- yikes! -- but his sanctimony and piety and constant invocation of "Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" and "good Christian" act wore on me. It's annoying, but also, I think, dangerous.

Dang, all those Dudley Do-rights who go out and help troubled youths, bring teammates closer together, and occasionally win championships at the highest levels of sports. How creepy! And dangerous! Just think of all the damage that could be done to . . . uh . . . someone!

Maybe I need to find a new message board. Or a new country. (I know, you guys will help me pack... ;-) )
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:22 pm

I dunno what his religion is, but I doubt he was going around the locker room handing out bibles, and setting up masses after practice. Dude's been around the league for years and I think he knows when to separate religion from football.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#54 » by jmrosenth » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:27 pm

Feinstein can get off his own pulpit with that column. It's almost like religion in this country has replaced sex as a taboo subject for most. Coach Gibbs is one of the most genuine people I could possibly know in public life. I have no problem with Gibbs' religiousnesses. AT ALL.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Cramer » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:27 am

Try going over to that liberal bastion called the Current Affairs board. That crew of whack jobs thinks there's nothing worse nor stupider than someone that believes in God.

As for Gibbs, there is a lot of historical stuff related to his faith that might cause one to scratch his head. He wrote a book about his faith that someone gave me (why I have no **** idea) and I read most of it and some of it caused me to pause. He's adamant that he wouldn't consider doing business with someone that hadn't turned his life over to Christ and things like that. That's fine and that's his choice, but some of the stuff seemed a bit excessive to me. The guy isn't knocking on my door trying to get me to do it so I really don't care.

There were also a lot (a lot) of stories back in the day about guys that used to fake their faith (going to Sunday morning mass when they had no desire to, things like that) because they thought it helped them stick with the team. It was always assumed that all things being equal, or even kind of close, the Christian was going to get the benefit of the doubt over the heathen. Apparently his religion has made numerous players on the Skins more than a bit uncomfortable over the years. But, almost all bosses have some kind of quirk, for lack of a better word, that people have to deal with.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Joe Gibbs, both as a coach and a man, buy I do think he kind of pushes the envelope as far being a football coach and putting his religion out there. On the other, hand a lot of coaches push the envelope as far as being dicks and treating people like dirt. Which would you rahter have? I'd probably go to mass on Sunday morning.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#56 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:03 am

A Superbowl would have been great but Joe Gibbs did what I really wanted him to do. He returned the pride and professionalism of this franchise and cleaned up the roster and put in players with heart.

We can build from here. We have a nice roster. Just add some OL, a big receiver and let Rock take B Mitch up on his offer to teach him to punt return.

I greatly appreciate all the good things JG has done for this franchise even if there were a few mistakes.

If Greg gets the position, he will have learned the pieces that were missing in his HC talent from JG.

I'd let Greg have it with Saunders as the OC.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#57 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:18 am

yungal07 wrote:We'll see Cowgirls fan.

Watching Comcast Sports Net and they have Charlie Casserly on. Said he just spoke to Cowher this morning. He isn't interesting in coaching. Wants to spend time with his family.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#58 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:21 pm

I'm kind of going round and round on this: Cowher or Williams?

If you all had your choice between the two, who would it be?
In Rizzo we trust
Cramer
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Cramer » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:42 pm

It's a pretty simple question, do you want to start over (Cowher) or keep building on what Gibbs has done (Williams)?

But with Danny Boy it isn't so simple. Does he want to do what makes sense or hold a press conference with a big name.?
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#60 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:10 pm

I would just like to say, quite randomly, that Suisham is the best kicker the skins have had in years. YEARS! That's all that needs to be said on that topic.

On another topic, I think God hates the skins. At least since Danny took over. It's either Danny's bad karma or some Native Americans put a curse on the team because of the racist nickname.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.

Return to Washington Wizards