Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Marc Stein: Drew Gooden to Wizards is "likely" 

Post#61 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:35 pm

AFM wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
daSwami wrote:Anyone know why/how Gooden ended up living in Bethesda? Seems random. Does he have ties to the area somehow? just curious.

I does seem a bit strange. It looks like his charity foundation does work in California, but he can probably do that with occasional visits.

http://www.thedrewgooden.com/category/news/

Actually it's probably not that strange. Bethesda has changed so much in the last decade. I saw Lebron James walk right past me in Friendship heights a few years ago when he was shopping with his posse. Literally it was him surrounded by 20 dudes.

Bethesda has not changed to that point that Friendship Heights is a part of it though.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,307

Post#62 » by AFM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:41 pm

fishercob wrote:
AFM wrote:
verbal8 wrote:
I does seem a bit strange. It looks like his charity foundation does work in California, but he can probably do that with occasional visits.

http://www.thedrewgooden.com/category/news/

Actually it's probably not that strange. Bethesda has changed so much in the last decade. I saw Lebron James walk right past me in Friendship heights a few years ago when he was shopping with his posse. Literally it was him surrounded by 20 dudes.

Bethesda has not changed to that point that Friendship Heights is a part of it though.

They literally touch, fisher. Downtown Bethesda has a Bentley/Rolls Royce dealership and Euro Motor Cars, as well as a lululemon, le creusot, wine bars, a georgetown cupcake, 2 soft serve yogurt places, an apple store. and that new beer place Cork 57 which literally has an 100% markup on beer. Sometimes I'm forced to go there since they're open late. $20 for a 6 pack.
Friendship Heights is worse, that strip that used to be a Giant and a Clyde's is now a Jimmy Choo, a Luis Vuitton, etc
I feel like WTA :(
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#63 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:18 pm

...also, parts of what used to be called Rockville, is now called "North Potomac"
fishercob
RealGM

Post#64 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:21 pm

I know.

I once saw Juan Dixon pull his car into the handicapped space behind that Gucci and saunter inside.
— Steve Martin
AFM
General Manager

Post#65 » by AFM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:28 pm

I think it's the Le Creusot that really gets to me. It's on the pedestrian only street. You must have a lot of money if you're window shopping for $1000 cast iron pots.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 786

Post#66 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:36 pm

^ Drew Gooden's probably got an expensive cooking hobby. :D
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#67 » by Soup's Uncle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:03 pm

Ugh
F Street = Wall Street
fishercob
RealGM

Post#68 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:13 pm

One day, I hope to buy the most expensive frying pan they have at Le Creuset and level WTA the the face with it.

Then I'm going on a shopping spree at Apple, Georgetown Cupcake, Sweetgreen, David Brenner. I'll even buy $200 yoga pants at Lululemon.

See dickface, I can hijack my own threads too!
— Steve Martin
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#69 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:14 pm

fishercob wrote:One day, I hope to buy the most expensive frying pan they have at Le Creuset and level WTA the the face with it.

Then I'm going on a shopping spree at Apple, Georgetown Cupcake, Sweetgreen, David Brenner. I'll even buy $200 yoga pants at Lululemon.

LOL you win.

:rofl2:
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#70 » by sashae » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:32 pm

AFM wrote:

They literally touch, fisher. Downtown Bethesda has a Bentley/Rolls Royce dealership and Euro Motor Cars, as well as a lululemon, le creuset, wine bars, a georgetown cupcake, 2 soft serve yogurt places, an apple store. and that new beer place Cork 57 which literally has an 100% markup on beer. Sometimes I'm forced to go there since they're open late. $20 for a 6 pack.
Friendship Heights is worse, that strip that used to be a Giant and a Clyde's is now a Jimmy Choo, a Luis Vuitton, etc

JFC. I left DC (many) years ago and remember taking the bus through that depot in Friendship Heights for many years -- hearing this blows my mind.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#71 » by BigA » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 pm

fishercob wrote:One day, I hope to buy the most expensive frying pan they have at Le Creuset and level WTA the the face with it.

The washed up NBA big men hanging around Bethesda in the 80s and 90s were far superior to the washed up NBA bigs hanging out there now.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#72 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:59 pm

sashae wrote:
AFM wrote:

They literally touch, fisher. Downtown Bethesda has a Bentley/Rolls Royce dealership and Euro Motor Cars, as well as a lululemon, le creuset, wine bars, a georgetown cupcake, 2 soft serve yogurt places, an apple store. and that new beer place Cork 57 which literally has an 100% markup on beer. Sometimes I'm forced to go there since they're open late. $20 for a 6 pack.

JFC. I left DC (many) years ago and remember taking the bus through that depot in Friendship Heights for many years -- hearing this blows my mind.

It's a weird market, sashae. You have that one project "The Collection" with Gucci, Prada, etc. It's never done all that well, and a few of the stores have closed (it didnt help that it opened right as the crash hit). You've got old mainstay luxury guys like Saks and Neimans. But then there's also tons of value-oriented shooping like TJ Maxx, DSW, Nordstrom Rack.

The old Hechts (I used to go there as a kid) has been redeveloped into a proect with a WHole Foods and Bloomingdales. The project does okay overall. PF Changs sucks wind there; Capital Grille started really soft but has picked up a bit.

Lord and Taylor is still there -- it's only a matter of time before it's redeveloped. It's great real estate. Could be a Target or Wegman's within the next decade.
— Steve Martin
AFM
General Manager

Post#73 » by AFM » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:03 pm

sashae wrote:
AFM wrote:

Recognize this? This used to be a Clyde's. I went to the doctor's across the street as a kid. Had foot surgery there.

direct link if it doesnt show up right: http://s13.postimg.org/gad7baar9/friendshipheights.png
fishercob
RealGM

Post#74 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:07 pm

You probably know this, but Clyde's is still in that project.
— Steve Martin
AFM
General Manager

Post#75 » by AFM » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:32 am

I think it's in the back right? That used to be a huge parking lot next to the restaurant if I remember right.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#76 » by sashae » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:20 am

AFM wrote:
sashae wrote:
AFM wrote:They literally touch, fisher. Downtown Bethesda has a Bentley/Rolls Royce dealership and Euro Motor Cars, as well as a lululemon, le creuset, wine bars, a georgetown cupcake, 2 soft serve yogurt places, an apple store. and that new beer place Cork 57 which literally has an 100% markup on beer. Sometimes I'm forced to go there since they're open late. $20 for a 6 pack.

Recognize this? This used to be a Clyde's. I went to the doctor's across the street as a kid. Had foot surgery there.

direct link if it doesnt show up right: http://s13.postimg.org/gad7baar9/friendshipheights.png

I audibly gasped. So much for playing video games at the Disc Shop in the basement of Mazza Gallerie before catching the bus home.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
fishercob
RealGM

Post#77 » by fishercob » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 pm

AFM wrote:I think it's in the back right? That used to be a huge parking lot next to the restaurant if I remember right.

It's just off the corner. The average age of the patrons there has to be 70-something.
— Steve Martin
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#78 » by mohammed10 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:10 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... -contract/

Looks like Ernie signed the original Uncle Drew...

* sigh *

Time to change the title of this thread
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
fishercob
RealGM

Post#79 » by fishercob » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:13 pm

mohammed10 wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/02/25/wizards-to-sign-drew-gooden-to-a-10-day-contract/

Looks like Ernie signed the original Uncle Drew...

* sigh *

Time to change the title of this thread

Can you try to stay on topic, we're talking about old Bethesda and Friendship Heights.

Lowen's toy store and Hot Shoppes FTW!

Okay, I'll change the thread title.
— Steve Martin
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#80 » by mohammed10 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 pm

fishercob wrote:
Can you try to stay on topic, we're talking about old Bethesda and Friendship Heights.

Lowen's toy store and Hot Shoppes FTW!

Okay, I'll change the thread title.

:lol:

Fair enough. I do missing living in the DMV...this deviation is making me homesick
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling

Return to Washington Wizards