Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Kevin Seraphin 

Post#661 » by hands11 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:59 am

verbal8 wrote:
7-Day Dray wrote:
Induveca wrote:Blatche is no longer developing, he is what he is...

How the hell can you say that? Do you expect someone to play up to their potential when they're out of shape, out of rhythm, and unhealthy the whole season? It's not possible. And he's only 25, and last season was his first full year starter. I think it's VERY premature to say Blatche "is what he is."

I can't wait for Dray to prove all the haters wrong this season.

I hope to be wrong, but generally players show what they are by 25.

Generally, plays dont play for organization that have gone through what this franchise has while Dray has been here and they don't get shot the first year in the league.

We can go round and round over the same stuff and it all comes back to...this next year is the year to decide on Dray. It is clear what this team is now. They are young across the board and they have one star, one solid seasoned vet and a light it up shooter in his prime at SG. There is no Gil to confuse anything. No Kirk either. And no Yi.

Everyone should be in top shape next time they play together. If Dray isn't, then he isn't paying attention to what is going on here. If he is, that will be a very good sign that he is ready for a good season.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#662 » by verbal8 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:49 pm

I hate to hijack the thread to discuss Seraphin :)

It looks like he is going to play in the best league outside of the NBA. I think that is generally a good sign.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... ds-insider
REDardWIZskin
Senior
And1: 2

Post#663 » by REDardWIZskin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:45 pm

I just noticed that Joey Dorsey, the undersized Big Man, has signed to play with the exact same team as K-Serph. How do you all think this will effect his development or PT if at all for their season in Spain... Dorsey won't be a talent upgrade over Serph but he has a higher motor and more playing experience than Serph. Could hurt the development that we all had in mind when he originally signed with Caja Laboral Vitoria. IDK what do you all think?
Sit back and watch WALL WORK!! >:-)
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#664 » by closg00 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:54 pm

REDardWIZskin wrote:I just noticed that Joey Dorsey, the undersized Big Man, has signed to play with the exact same team as K-Serph. How do you all think this will effect his development or PT if at all for their season in Spain... Dorsey won't be a talent upgrade over Serph but he has a higher motor and more playing experience than Serph. Could hurt the development that we all had in mind when he originally signed with Caja Laboral Vitoria. IDK what do you all think?

:nod: Caught that also. Dorsey has roughly the same measurements as Kevin, but is definitely more muscular and more experienced (not that skilled except for rebounding). Caja obviously wanted some bench-muscle, having Doresy can't be good for Kevin.

I wonder if Dorsey really got $750,000, that some serious coin for someone like Dorsey.
REDardWIZskin
Senior

Post#665 » by REDardWIZskin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Serious coin for Dorsey likely means that he'll get the nod for PT before Serph. Maybe praticing against Dorsey serves a good purpose though since he doesn't have anyone to go up against of that make up in wiz practice. He may come back meaner and tougher, with a slightly higher motor. I'm hopeful
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#666 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:36 pm

I really hope Kevin's game develops rapidly over the lockout. It was good to see Seraphin make the French team and for him to go against better competition.

As for competing against Dorsey, that will be a slugfest. Dorsey is a bruiser on the boards. I don't like it for Seraphin that Dorsey signed the bigger deal. Worse, Dorsey's not a good, veteran role model. He's unskilled at everything but rebounding and he's been inconsistent in the NBA. The last thing Kevin needs is to roll with a journeyman with a bad reputation or languish behind him on the bench in Spain.

I think Grunfeld messed up when he traded up to draft Seraphin in round one. I don't think he's near as good a basketball player as DeJuan Blair, who Ernie passed on in round two.

Hopefully, Seraphin will prove me wrong. He is certainly athletic and can score well inside.
Bye bye Beal.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 884

Post#667 » by badinage » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:07 pm

He didn't trade up.

He traded up to get Booker.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#668 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:13 pm

You're right, badinage. I got them mixed up.

In retrospect, Booker value-wise was projected to go much later. I was really upset at the time they traded up to get him. However, Booker performed up to where he was drafted. Kevin was picked a few picks earlier, in a draft that I was guardedly optimistic about at the time--at least EG went for defense, including N'Diaye.

My thoughts about Seraphin now are I think he's not as good as Blair, and I'd rather have Blair as a Wizard. Seraphin has the ability to defend most Cs and he's got a lot more athleticism, but Blair's just an old-school, floor-bound baller. Seraphin is going to have to learn a lot to be an impact player in the pros, but a guy like Blair can rebound and even score efficiently. My view on Blair is SA benching him makes him accessible for cheap. Although he and James Anderson each had down seasons, I still like both and think the Wizards could improve via trade for either or both.
Bye bye Beal.
fugop
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#669 » by fugop » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:18 am

Blair was drafted the year before Seraphin. The only guys drafted after Seraphin who clearly outperformed him last year were Trevor Booker, Jordan Crawford, and Landry Fields. I agree that Fields was a miss, but he was that's more to the Knicks credit than to the fault of the other front offices around the league.

Jeremy Evans, Damion James, Quincy Poindexter and James Anderson had comparable seasons.

Looking over the Rookie stats, I'd still love to get my hands on Patrick Patterson.
closg00
RealGM

Post#670 » by closg00 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:50 am

fugop wrote:Blair was drafted the year before Seraphin. The only guys drafted after Seraphin who clearly outperformed him last year were Trevor Booker, Jordan Crawford, and Landry Fields. I agree that Fields was a miss, but he was that's more to the Knicks credit than to the fault of the other front offices around the league.

Jeremy Evans, Damion James, Quincy Poindexter and James Anderson had comparable seasons.

Looking over the Rookie stats, I'd still love to get my hands on Patrick Patterson.

That's at-least three so-far, and many of the other guys drafted later were either injured or are being stashed, most of them bigs.

It doesn't matter at this point though, we need Seraphin to play, play, play, it's our best shot at seeing any kind of return on such a raw prospect.
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#671 » by veji1 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 am

for those interested, vey good second game from Seraphin in a friendly tournament, the basque cup : in 29 minutes, 21 points (7/9 and 7/10ft), 4 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 foul, 2 turnovers and 6 provoked fouls for an efficiency of 28. Dorsey wasn't there yet...
REDardWIZskin
Senior

Post#672 » by REDardWIZskin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Still would like to see more rebounds... 7/10 FT ain't bad either
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#673 » by theboomking » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:10 pm

REDardWIZskin wrote:Still would like to see more rebounds... 7/10 FT ain't bad either

Seraphin is an interesting case. He really seems to score quite efficiently, and reportedly showed a decent mid range jumper and post game in eurobasket. Given his lack of rebounding, if his offensive skills improve, I'd like to see how much better the defense would be with Seraphin at PF. As a rookie, Saunders said multiple times that Kevin was our best help defender. I know CCJ has been a proponent of playing Seraphin with McGee. Last year, that might not have been possible, but with a couple of years of offensive seasoning...maybe?
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#674 » by veji1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:00 am

Clearly Seraphin has the profile of a burly 4. If he can get his shot to be steady and reliable up to 15/18 feet, he becomes the ideal complement to a stretch 5 à la Marc Gasol.
Limo
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#675 » by Limo » Sat Oct 1, 2011 11:39 am

Yesterday: 13pts with 6/10 and a "and one mate (dunk)" in the semi-final supercopa.
5rbs, 3 turnover. Best rebounder in 20m.

He was the primary target in the paint, great defense on D'or Fisher, great moves.

Dorsey played 5m and Kevin played the moneytime (starter in the 3rd).

Final at 6 in Spain (noon I think in the east) on streaming.
closg00
RealGM

Post#676 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 1, 2011 2:21 pm

Limo wrote:Yesterday: 13pts with 6/10 and a "and one mate (dunk)" in the semi-final supercopa.

He was the primary target in the paint, great defense on D'or Fisher, great moves.

Merci pour les nouvelles Limo :thumbsup:

EDIT: Here's a link to the game, Kevin's fundamentals are coming-along. The competition is certainly not NBA caliber, but hey! he's playing someplace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEFDUYvXSWA
closg00
RealGM

Post#677 » by closg00 » Sun Oct 2, 2011 3:26 pm

Caja Laboral lost in the championship game to Barcelona. Don't have the box score, but Kevin is in the highlight clips - Getting his shot blocked, but also finishing with dunk on the break. The MVP of-course was JCN.

http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=79252
Mountain
Ballboy

Post#678 » by Mountain » Sun Oct 2, 2011 10:46 pm

closg00 wrote:
Limo wrote:Yesterday: 13pts with 6/10 and a "and one mate (dunk)" in the semi-final supercopa.

Merci pour les nouvelles Limo :thumbsup:

EDIT: Here's a link to the game, Kevin's fundamentals are coming-along. The competition is certainly not NBA caliber, but hey! he's playing someplace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEFDUYvXSWA

Du francais sur un forum de basket... c'est rare que je vois ca lol
closg00
RealGM

Post#679 » by closg00 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:39 pm

KS off to a good start, 30 minutes of playing-time and dominating the Euro softees :clap:
http://www.truthaboutit.net/2011/10/kev ... spain.html

Game recap highlights
http://acbtv.acb.com/video/4145-lacb-20 ... ja_laboral
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#680 » by theboomking » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:30 pm

I find Kevin's performances encouraging, and he certainly seems to play with a presence in the limited highlights we've seen. Having not watched a lot of European basketball, I'm curious about one thing. That Seraphin's defense seems good isn't surprising. I am a bit surprised however that Kevin looks like a better scorer than rebounder in these games. Does his lack of rebounding prowess in these games have anything with the style of play, or is it an extension of the mediocre defensive rebounding Kevin displayed in the NBA last year?

Return to Washington Wizards