Trevor Booker

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Re: Trevor Booker 

Post#701 » by verbal8 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:59 pm

closg00 wrote:
Otto Porter Jr. and Trevor Booker were both limited because of injuries for the second day of training camp at George Mason’s Patriot Center, but Coach Randy Wittman is optimistic that both will soon return to action.

Booker is looking to bounce back from an injury-plagued season. He said that he had shock wave therapy three weeks ago on the same knee that caused him to miss 24 games. But Booker began experiencing some discomfort a few days before camp began.

“I think I may have starting playing pick up too early,” Booker said. “My knee got a little sore but it’s feeling pretty good right now and I talked to the doctor today. He said it’s looking good. He said to take it day by day'.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wiz ... turn-soon/

ENOUGH!!! I want Booker and Singleton waived yesterday. This organization would rather carry injured players with no future with the team because they have guaranteed deals. So tired of this.

I see the argument for waiving Singleton, because I don't see him really being worth the roster spot. Also although he can play SF or PF, he hasn't produced enough at either that he provides any depth.

Booker's injury(hopefully) is less significant, but when healthy he can provide needed depth at PF. If it was a choice between someone who has been productive like Blair or Booker, I would take Blair. However if it is a guy off the street, he isn't likely to be better than Booker. I am a little worried that the Wizards will keep Booker and commit too much to do so.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,349

Post#702 » by nate33 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:12 pm

No need for Booker to be waived. He's still a good player when healthy. This is a very good reason not to resign Booker to anything more than the vet minimum though. The guy just can't stay healthy. And since his game relies on athleticism, I wouldn't be surprised if he was already at his peak and is due for a slow decline.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#703 » by Dat2U » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:43 pm

nate33 wrote:No need for Booker to be waived. He's still a good player when healthy. This is a very good reason not to resign Booker to anything more than the vet minimum though. The guy just can't stay healthy. And since his game relies on athleticism, I wouldn't be surprised if he was already at his peak and is due for a slow decline.

Agree 100%. His injury concerns make him a better 11th to 15th man as opposed to a 1st line backup but he's as good as many quality backups in the league when healthy. I certainly wouldn't resign him for any long term amount but he's a legitimate NBA player, unlike the rest of Ernie's Kids.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#704 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 1, 2013 12:46 pm

I remember loving Trevor Booker's game when he was at Clemson. No-nonsense, tough player. Strong finisher on offense. I was also very impressed with his athleticism as measured prior to the NBA draft. I was very impressed that Washington changed the pattern of how they draft when the selected Booker (along with Seraphin and N'Diaye) because they drafted toughness, brute strength, and athletic talent not potential but already mature physically. That draft was a defense-oriented draft, or so I thought at the time.

Moving forward, my only complaint is Booker hasn't be durable. When he's right physically, he's pretty good. I've seen him finish dunks thunderously. At times, he and Seraphin looked like bully defenders two seasons ago, even if Trevor Booker is undersized at PF and he for whatever reasons doesn't defend pick and roll well at times.

I totally agree with Dat and nate about Booker. He's good to keep around and not an Ernie's kid. I don't like his health or contract status, so I from time to time see him as a good trade candidate. He has always been squeezed for minutes. I also noticed the Wizards won at the end of the season without Booker. James Singleton came along when Trevor was out and extended amount of time. Now, Al Harrington figures in the minutes mix. So, Booker's burn time won't be as much. I see both Trevors competing at PF. And where does Porter play when both Webster and Booker have NBA talent at SF that Otto didn't show in summer league. Minutes are tight.

I think Booker certainly is good for a deep reserve. But if he's not going to play in a contract year, do the guy a solid and trade him. Don't waive him because he's (older and) better than Chris Singleton, Vesely, or IMO Seraphin so far.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#705 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 7:25 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I remember loving Trevor Booker's game when he was at Clemson. No-nonsense, tough player. Strong finisher on offense. I was also very impressed with his athleticism as measured prior to the NBA draft. I was very impressed that Washington changed the pattern of how they draft when the selected Booker (along with Seraphin and N'Diaye) because they drafted toughness, brute strength, and athletic talent not potential but already mature physically. That draft was a defense-oriented draft, or so I thought at the time.

Moving forward, my only complaint is Booker hasn't be durable. When he's right physically, he's pretty good. I've seen him finish dunks thunderously. At times, he and Seraphin looked like bully defenders two seasons ago, even if Trevor Booker is undersized at PF and he for whatever reasons doesn't defend pick and roll well at times.

I totally agree with Dat and nate about Booker. He's good to keep around and not an Ernie's kid. I don't like his health or contract status, so I from time to time see him as a good trade candidate. He has always been squeezed for minutes. I also noticed the Wizards won at the end of the season without Booker. James Singleton came along when Trevor was out and extended amount of time. Now, Al Harrington figures in the minutes mix. So, Booker's burn time won't be as much. I see both Trevors competing at PF. And where does Porter play when both Webster and Booker have NBA talent at SF that Otto didn't show in summer league. Minutes are tight.

I think Booker certainly is good for a deep reserve. But if he's not going to play in a contract year, do the guy a solid and trade him. Don't waive him because he's (older and) better than Chris Singleton, Vesely, or IMO Seraphin so far.

Why have a deep reserve guy if you cannot depend upon him to be available when you need him? There must be a a half-dozen guys sprinkled around the training camps who could provide what Book does and who are more skilled no?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#706 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 8:19 pm

closg00 wrote:Why have a deep reserve guy if you cannot depend upon him to be available when you need him? There must be a a half-dozen guys sprinkled around the training camps who could provide what Book does and who are more skilled no?

No. There isn't.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#707 » by nuposse04 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 8:25 pm

closg00 wrote:
Why have a deep reserve guy if you cannot depend upon him to be available when you need him? There must be a a half-dozen guys sprinkled around the training camps who could provide what Book does and who are more skilled no?

I understand there is justified reservation about Booker cause of his injury problems...but look at Bookers stats last season compared to T. Gibson's (who is kinda the ideal backup big for any team)...They aren't THAT much different. His production isn't that easily replaceable as you may want it to be.
closg00
RealGM

Trevor Booker 

Post#708 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 8:40 pm

Ok, how about two guys in a camp that could replace Bookers production? :-) Booker has great hustle, but is a mediocre rebounder.

I call upon the board to throw-out two UFA's that could replace Booker on-the-cheap. When I get to a computer I will do the same unless Kevin has something handy in his database to end the discussion now.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#709 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 9:02 pm

closg00 wrote:Ok, how about two guys in a camp that could replace Bookers production? :-) Booker has great hustle, but is a mediocre rebounder.

Booker was the 2nd best rebounder on the team last year - better than Nene, Seraphin and Vesely. He ranked 49th in the league last year in rebounding percentage (among players playing at least 800 minutes) which suggests that he would be the 2nd best rebounder on about half the teams in the league.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#710 » by nuposse04 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 9:18 pm

closg00 wrote:Ok, how about two guys in a camp that could replace Bookers production? :-) Booker has great hustle, but is a mediocre rebounder.

I call upon the board to throw-out two UFA's that could replace Booker on-the-cheap. When I get to a computer I will do the same unless Kevin has something handy in his database to end the discussion now.

Mediocre rebounder? Wtf. He's no Kevin Love but he's hardly average.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents

on that list the only guy I think could be a lateral to upgrade would be Ivan Johnson. But I think he's willing to play overseas for more money rather then the vet minimum. So he's out. :-?
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#711 » by dorkestra » Tue Oct 1, 2013 10:17 pm

From an outsider perspective (sixers), I think that Seraphin has potential to keep getting better from here. With Okafor's injury, he'll have a lot of responsibility, and I'm predicting a career year.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
closg00
RealGM

Post#712 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 1, 2013 11:23 pm

nuposse04 wrote:

Mediocre rebounder? Wtf. He's no Kevin Love but he's hardly average.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents

on that list the only guy I think could be a lateral to upgrade would be Ivan Johnson. But I think he's willing to play overseas for more money rather then the vet minimum. So he's out. :-?

I stand corrected, Booker did not show-up in my search of top rebounding PF's.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/sortableStats?league=NBA&dir=descending&stat=&low=1&high=50&table=rebounds&position=PF&showPlayers=min&year=2013&seasonState=regular&Go=Go

@ Nate, Booker is a better rebounder than Seraphin and Vesely? I would wager that these players would also be better rebounders than these^ two.

Renaldo Balkman - Dallas camp
Bradon Davies - Clippers camp
Jackie Carmichael - Heat camp

Again, I LIKE BOOKER, but he isn't a good bet to stay healthy.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#713 » by Knighthonor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:55 pm

The general forum was making an interesting discussion on player positions.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1278142&p=37164855#p37164855

I c/p to it above.

I wondered how you all feel about developing Booker to be something more than a PF?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,014

Post#714 » by dckingsfan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:37 pm

Booker seems to be playing well - can he stay healthy and play at this level?

I guess he is only on pace to play 50 games again this year.

I really have trouble figuring this guy out.
KennyGreen
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#715 » by KennyGreen » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Loved the double double from Book last night...Hope (as always) that he can turn the corner and shake the injuries...If so, we've got our own Faried...Grit, hustle, rebounding...
"Offense puts people in the seats but defense wins"...KB
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#716 » by dobrojim » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:41 pm

dorkestra wrote:From an outsider perspective (sixers), I think that Seraphin has potential to keep getting better from here. With Okafor's injury, he'll have a lot of responsibility, and I'm predicting a career year.

given how he (KS) is playing, he has more room upwards than downwards.

but then I'm reminded of Maynor who I didn't think could get worse.
But he has.

I don't see how Seraphin can have a career year when he can't even displace
Ves as the 1st big off the bench. Criticize Randy if you want for that. Coaches
see the players every day.

Re Booker - a bright side to an unfortunate loss against DEN.
He played pretty solidly and I was especially surprised when
he hit 2 crucial FTs in crunchtime. An outside jumper too.
Still don't really want to be relying on him for that though.

Book probably should displace Ves as the 1st big off the bench though.
At such time as Nene plays and Book relinquishes his starting role.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Hypnotizer
Rookie
And1: 265

Post#717 » by Hypnotizer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:45 pm

TB is the biggest surprise in this month. He's our best rebounder at the moment, I love his energy at the offensive rim and he definitely earned to be in the starting line-up.

Big kudos, Trev!
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,014

Post#718 » by dckingsfan » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Agreed - Booker has been a nice surprise. Hope he stays healthy.

With a couple of good games, Seraphin is now rebounding at the same rate as a guard. So, he is clearly not the answer. Hopefully the bulk of the minutes go to Gortat/Booker/Nene.

But given the propensity of Booker/Nene to get injured - we will continue to see Seraphin/Vesely through the end of the year :(
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#719 » by Nivek » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm as puzzled by folks being surprised at Booker as I am at their surprise at Maynor. When healthy, Booker has been productive. He's healthy now and he's producing. Maynor has been bad throughout his career. He's been even worse this season, but his production is very similar to his career norms. There should be no surprise for either guy.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#720 » by tontoz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:15 pm

I hope his current rebounding is the start of a trend and not just a small sample size anomoly. Historically his rebounding has been just average for a 4. Given his athleticism and motor he should be a strong rebounder but hasn't been in his first 3 seasons.

Hopefully he is realizing that rebounding is his meal ticket. his offensive game is limited (fortunately he realizes this) and he can be overmatched at times defensively.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD

Return to Washington Wizards