ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiz Sign Hilton Armstrong (and celebrity condolences)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Re: Wiz Sign Hilton Armstrong 

Post#41 » by verbal8 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:55 pm

rockymac52 wrote:7. Josh Boone (25 years old, would have loved him. He's been a solid backup, and seems to be an efficient scorer who can rebound the ball. Not sure how much he'll command on the market, but it couldn't have been much more than $2million.

This would have been my first choice. He doesn't have the supposed upside of Yi, but I think on an OK team(rather than the disaster of the Nets last year) he could be a decent player.

I don't think Armstrong is a great pick-up, but I don't think he is terrible either.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#42 » by Severn Hoos » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:17 pm

kavu, that's just wrong....

Well, apparently Ernie has found the lost archives from the RealGM/Wizards board that we never could find, because he's acting on all the things I was pushing for a half-decade ago. I was driving the Kirk Bus, hoping against hope that he would fall to the Wiz' pick in 2003. (He didn't. We took Jarvis. The rest is history.) I also promoted Hilton as a shotblocking, defensive C who had shown a bit of a jumper to keep defenses honest. And frankly, THAT guy would be an awesome addition.

Actually, I'm OK with this move for several reasons. It preserves cap space & flexibility for this season & next. Armstrong did show something to get picked in the Lottery. And remember his college career, that he was sort of lost in his first three seasons then exploded as a Senior. (Though that should be a red flag in itself.)

[Come to think of it, I was also pushing for Gil to play SG - at least defensively - and let Larry play PG. So yeah, we're gonna party like it's 2004!]

But back to Armstrong. Kind of a :dontknow: move. Worth the risk, as far as I'm concerned, mostly because there really is no risk. I agree with nate that I'd really have liked to see a cagey vet to teach the kids, but why would that guy come here anyway?

Most importantly - one more roster spot NOT taken by an overpaid FA. Woo hoo!

Oh, and one last thing. I like his attitude, at least from what we can see. The "one year, $20 million" line was pretty good. Knows his role, and what's expected of him, doesn't seem to have a chip on his shoulder like the world is all against him. Maybe he can be a bit of a mentor after all - at least as a cautionary tale that you could be on a minimum contract (or out of the league altogether) if you take it all for granted.
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
kavu
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#43 » by kavu » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:24 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:kavu, that's just wrong....

But back to Armstrong. Kind of a :dontknow: move. Worth the risk, as far as I'm concerned, mostly because there really is no risk. I agree with nate that I'd really have liked to see a cagey vet to teach the kids, but why would that guy come here anyway?

I agree there was no risk....with no expectation comes no risk.

We need to sign David Wingate. If our hotel motif is going to have any cache...
Bickerstaff
Senior
And1: 3

Post#44 » by Bickerstaff » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:04 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:kavu, that's just wrong....

Well, apparently Ernie has found the lost archives from the RealGM/Wizards board that we never could find, because he's acting on all the things I was pushing for a half-decade ago. I was driving the Kirk Bus, hoping against hope that he would fall to the Wiz' pick in 2003. (He didn't. We took Jarvis. The rest is history.) I also promoted Hilton as a shotblocking, defensive C who had shown a bit of a jumper to keep defenses honest. And frankly, THAT guy would be an awesome addition.

Actually, I'm OK with this move for several reasons. It preserves cap space & flexibility for this season & next. Armstrong did show something to get picked in the Lottery. And remember his college career, that he was sort of lost in his first three seasons then exploded as a Senior. (Though that should be a red flag in itself.)

[Come to think of it, I was also pushing for Gil to play SG - at least defensively - and let Larry play PG. So yeah, we're gonna party like it's 2004!]

Oh, and one last thing. I like his attitude, at least from what we can see. The "one year, $20 million" line was pretty good. Knows his role, and what's expected of him, doesn't seem to have a chip on his shoulder like the world is all against him. Maybe he can be a bit of a mentor after all - at least as a cautionary tale that you could be on a minimum contract (or out of the league altogether) if you take it all for granted.

My sentiments exactly, including the part about kavu's comment. It wasn't even a funny joke. It's like you were determined to make fun of Mel Turpin's suicide and just wrenched it in there. Not even a joke so much as a dig. Mean-spirited and unpleasant. Do you want strangers on the internet making fun of YOU after YOUR inevitable suicide?
kavu
Banned User

Post#45 » by kavu » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:53 pm

My sentiments exactly, including the part about kavu's comment. It wasn't even a funny joke. It's like you were determined to make fun of Mel Turpin's suicide and just wrenched it in there. Not even a joke so much as a dig. Mean-spirited and unpleasant. Do you want strangers on the internet making fun of YOU after YOUR inevitable suicide?[/quote]

Holy c**p! I had no idea that Mel Turpin committed suicide. I would never have made that comment if I had known...

I'm sorry to hear about that...just a long time wizards/bullets fan and was poking fun. I really had no clue...
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#46 » by montestewart » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:06 pm

kavu wrote:
Bickerstaff wrote:My sentiments exactly, including the part about kavu's comment. It wasn't even a funny joke. It's like you were determined to make fun of Mel Turpin's suicide and just wrenched it in there. Not even a joke so much as a dig. Mean-spirited and unpleasant. Do you want strangers on the internet making fun of YOU after YOUR inevitable suicide?

Holy c**p! I had no idea that Mel Turpin committed suicide. I would never have made that comment if I had known...

I'm sorry to hear about that...just a long time wizards/bullets fan and was poking fun. I really had no clue...

If you didn't know, you didn't know. Prior to that tragedy, many on the board (probably including me) made such comments.
kavu
Banned User

Post#47 » by kavu » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:18 pm

montestewart wrote:
kavu wrote:
Bickerstaff wrote:My sentiments exactly, including the part about kavu's comment. It wasn't even a funny joke. It's like you were determined to make fun of Mel Turpin's suicide and just wrenched it in there. Not even a joke so much as a dig. Mean-spirited and unpleasant. Do you want strangers on the internet making fun of YOU after YOUR inevitable suicide?

If you didn't know, you didn't know. Prior to that tragedy, many on the board (probably including me) made such comments.

Yep...feeling a bit stupid at the moment...that must have come across as extremely insensitive, which is not what I had intended...

RIP Mel Turpin, that's very sad...
dnk
Sophomore

Post#48 » by dnk » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Wait. Why do you suddenly feel remorse because he committed suicide? Would any other cause of death make a joke like that okay? Or funny?

Why is it any better because he didn't know?

-----

On Topic:

As long as Armstrong can play defense and rebound for ten minutes if called upon, whatever. It's one year for (probably) the vet min.

Although I would have liked to see a summer leaguer get rewarded, maybe see how Pettway plays. Or any number of Summer/D-Leaguers that won't have a team come October.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 pm

"Mel Turpin out of retirement" jokes would have been all day a week ago.

Nobody should get worked if Kavu missed the wiretap piece. Any of us could have stepped on that mine.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:51 pm

dnk wrote:Wait. Why do you suddenly feel remorse because he committed suicide? Would any other cause of death make a joke like that okay? Or funny?

Did he implicitly state that he knew Mel was dead? If he didn't know Mel committed Suicide, then I'd put it at 95% that he didn't know he was dead.
kavu
Banned User

Post#51 » by kavu » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:38 am

Hoopalotta wrote:
dnk wrote:Wait. Why do you suddenly feel remorse because he committed suicide? Would any other cause of death make a joke like that okay? Or funny?

Did he simplicity state that he knew Mel was dead? If he didn't know Mel committed Suicide, then I'd put it at 95% that he didn't know he was dead.

You are correct...I had no idea he was dead...and even if it hadn't been a suicide, my comments would have crossed the line of poor taste.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#52 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:58 am

kavu wrote:
montestewart wrote:
kavu wrote:

Yep...feeling a bit stupid at the moment...that must have come across as extremely insensitive, which is not what I had intended...

RIP Mel Turpin, that's very sad...

kavu, just a heads up...

Not a good time for George Steinbrenner jokes right now. Same with John Wooden, Art Linkletter, Chris Henry, or Sean Taylor among others. I mean, you might not have heard ...

In all seriousness, when I first read kavu's comments I thought how cold can you get. Later though, I started thinking about Mel Turpin. I'm the same age. I thought how sad that he succumbed to whatever combination of things got him down. Then I thought about how it must be to be referred to as Dinner Bell Mel. How invalidating that must be. I wondered if the man had any addictions (including overreating). Did anybody see this coming? Or, did he isolate himself for a long time? Did he have a family or maybe lose it. Most of all, I wonder if anybody reached out to him. How long did he feel despondent? Was he ever diagnosed with a mood disorder. How much did being mocked and called Dinner Bell Mel bother him?

Alas, life is for the living and it is too late for him now. I just hope anyone else will seek help before resorting to that. Turpin didn't realize how many people still cared about him and he didn't have clarity to know there was a better way.

Don't what to say other than it is really tragic. I was very distraught and on the verge of suicide some 15 years ago. I have suffered most of what I proposed as hypotheticals above. What I can say has worked for me is to love God and love myself, no matter what happens to me or who leaves me or what I lose. Learn to praise and be thankful each day. Spread joy and fight on, no matter what.

I am so sorry that Turpin no doubt had friends, relatives, and fans who are devastated by this.

kavu, I'm glad it was just an errant statement. It happens. Sorry for the rant, but the man's death has made me reflect. I remember very clearly him and Sam Bowie at Kentucky. I know Turpin's career didn't pan out and he's been the brunt of a lot of OUR jokes.

His death saddens me and I am so sorry that he went out like that.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#53 » by Dat2U » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:26 am

nate33 wrote:1. Shelden Williams - He sucks. Armstrong is better.
2. Sean May - Attitude problem. Not a guy Teddy wants as a mentor.
3. Rasho Nesterovic - Would be a good fit. Tough to lure him here for the min salary.
4. Ike Diogu - Seems like a better option than Armstrong. Might cost more though.
5. Theo Ratliff - If he doesn't retire, he'll want to stay in Charlotte with Larry Brown
6. Joe Smith - Stick a fork in him.
7. Josh Boone - Would be worth a look.

So of those on the list, only Diogu and Boone seem like potential options who might actually sign here for the minimum and who might be better than Armstrong. I wouldn't be surprised if Diogu gets more than the minimum though.

Josh Boone might have been worth a look on a one year deal.

Smith, Diogu & May I view more as PFs.

Nesterovic would have been okay.

I would have preferred someone that can still play a little bit like Kurt Thomas. Hilton Armstrong stinks. But as a 3rd center he's relatively harmless. Problem is I think we needed a 15-20 minute player as a starter or key backup to McGee. Armstrong isn't that guy.
Bickerstaff
Senior

Post#54 » by Bickerstaff » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:58 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
kavu wrote:

In all seriousness, when I first read kavu's comments I thought how cold can you get. Later though, I started thinking about Mel Turpin. I'm the same age. I thought how sad that he succumbed to whatever combination of things got him down. Then I thought about how it must be to be referred to as Dinner Bell Mel. How invalidating that must be. I wondered if the man had any addictions (including overreating). Did anybody see this coming? Or, did he isolate himself for a long time? Did he have a family or maybe lose it. Most of all, I wonder if anybody reached out to him. How long did he feel despondent? Was he ever diagnosed with a mood disorder. How much did being mocked and called Dinner Bell Mel bother him?

Alas, life is for the living and it is too late for him now. I just hope anyone else will seek help before resorting to that. Turpin didn't realize how many people still cared about him and he didn't have clarity to know there was a better way.

Don't what to say other than it is really tragic. I was very distraught and on the verge of suicide some 15 years ago. I have suffered most of what I proposed as hypotheticals above. What I can say has worked for me is to love God and love myself, no matter what happens to me or who leaves me or what I lose. Learn to praise and be thankful each day. Spread joy and fight on, no matter what.

I am so sorry that Turpin no doubt had friends, relatives, and fans who are devastated by this.

kavu, I'm glad it was just an errant statement. It happens. Sorry for the rant, but the man's death has made me reflect. I remember very clearly him and Sam Bowie at Kentucky. I know Turpin's career didn't pan out and he's been the brunt of a lot of OUR jokes.

His death saddens me and I am so sorry that he went out like that.

Honestly, I'm still bummed out about Manute. His last ten years or so were so full of problems, and then to read about Mel Turpin, basically thinking what you just said... I'm all for morbid humor, but it clearly hit me the wrong way. Anyway, sorry, kavu. I wasn't really being serious, but it still must have been a weird way to find out that you'd unknowingly made a joke about a guy who just shot himself. Sorry.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#55 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:47 am

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:1. Shelden Williams - He sucks. Armstrong is better.
2. Sean May - Attitude problem. Not a guy Teddy wants as a mentor.
3. Rasho Nesterovic - Would be a good fit. Tough to lure him here for the min salary.
4. Ike Diogu - Seems like a better option than Armstrong. Might cost more though.
5. Theo Ratliff - If he doesn't retire, he'll want to stay in Charlotte with Larry Brown
6. Joe Smith - Stick a fork in him.
7. Josh Boone - Would be worth a look.

So of those on the list, only Diogu and Boone seem like potential options who might actually sign here for the minimum and who might be better than Armstrong. I wouldn't be surprised if Diogu gets more than the minimum though.

Josh Boone might have been worth a look on a one year deal.

Smith, Diogu & May I view more as PFs.

Nesterovic would have been okay.

I would have preferred someone that can still play a little bit like Kurt Thomas. Hilton Armstrong stinks. But as a 3rd center he's relatively harmless. Problem is I think we needed a 15-20 minute player as a starter or key backup to McGee. Armstrong isn't that guy.

Josh Boone is a better (hence the reason he started over Boone at UConn). However, I think Boone will command more money and a longer term deal. I see someone like Nestorovic or someone like Kurt Thomas as unrealistic since the Wizards are rebuilding and not contenders.

Armstrong showed some flashes with the Hornets although I guess that has to be the case when you have CP3. His rebounds per 36 minutes during a few seasons wasn't bad but then again he also averaged more 6 fouls per 36 minutes in those seasons.

There's a chance Armstrong could actually turn it around since it takes longer for big men to develop but I'm not holding my breath.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#56 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:27 pm

i think Ndyiaye is a great deep bench player for practice. the guy is hungry. He is 4 year college graduate and was an ACC defensive player of the year. He is going to be great body for developing McGee and he also is a great translater for Kevin Seraphin. He also has a great body language on the court and will contribute greatly to the culture of this team. Especially the Bigman culture of this team. He is a huge upgrade as far as personality from the days of haywood. No he probably won't be a regular rotational player but you aren't going to find an acc defensive player of the year in the d-league that also has all the personality intangibles you need to rub off on the maturity of your young bigs. N'Diaye serves in the same function as Hinrich.

Bringing in young fresh talent and N'Diaye defensive fundamentals are even more advanced than mcgee's and mcgee's already been here 2 years going on 3. So yes, we know N'Diaye isn't going to beat out anyone athletically that we already have on this roster, but you can't calculate how important his commitment to defense will rub off on our young franchise bigs. He also has the athleticism and length to challenge Blatche and McGee's shots in practice, he has an upbeat and polished personality from being in college for 4 years and he also speaks french which means he can quickly bring seraphin into washington's young Bigman Culture. there is always a bigman leader and a guard leader. N'Diaye attitude toward defense fundamentals fills the void that we thought Haywood would enforce even though Haywood didn't show the dedication to making his young bigman team mates better.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#57 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:47 pm

To expect anything out of a late 2nd round pick who wasn't even expected to be drafted and hasn't even gotten much burn in the Summer League is not reasonable. If he makes the team, he likely goes to the Develompmental League for the season. If he ever makes an impact in the NBA, it'll likely be several years down the line.

Armstrong was signed to be a body - probably the 5th big man - and won't play any significant minutes unless someone gets injured or - in Blatche's case - suspended. People are saying he's going to be the backup C. No, he's 4th string. McGee, Blatche, and Seraphin... maybe even Yi... would play C before he would.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#58 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Bickerstaff wrote:
Honestly, I'm still bummed out about Manute. His last ten years or so were so full of problems, and then to read about Mel Turpin, basically thinking what you just said... I'm all for morbid humor, but it clearly hit me the wrong way. Anyway, sorry, kavu. I wasn't really being serious, but it still must have been a weird way to find out that you'd unknowingly made a joke about a guy who just shot himself. Sorry.

I am also bummed about Manute's passing. The guy tried to help his people and all he got for it was imprisonment in Sudan, sickness, debt, and after a lot of suffering he died. Really sad for a guy that made people smile and who was un upbeat person.
Bye bye Beal.
dnk
Sophomore

Post#59 » by dnk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:21 pm

kavu wrote:
Hoopalotta wrote:

Did he simplicity state that he knew Mel was dead? If he didn't know Mel committed Suicide, then I'd put it at 95% that he didn't know he was dead.

You are correct...I had no idea he was dead...and even if it hadn't been a suicide, my comments would have crossed the line of poor taste.

I'm sorry, kavu, I jumped to the conclusion that it was just a recently-deceased joke. On any given day, anybody could have made your mistake. Again, sorry for assuming.

This thread has taken some morbid turns.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#60 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:51 pm

dnk wrote:This thread has taken some morbid turns.

RiP Steinbrenner

Return to Washington Wizards