The Official Yi Jianlian Shrine

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

The Official Yi Jianlian Shrine 

Post#1 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:31 am

It's never too early! Use this shrine to worship the true diety! Do not bow down to false Profits! There can be only one!
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Ji
Banned User
And1: 4

Re: The Official Yi Jianlian Shrine 

Post#2 » by Ji » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:58 am

who is yi Jianlian?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#3 » by dangermouse » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:42 am

Ji wrote:who is yi Jianlian?

he's the oriental lad who is going to secure us like 88 more ping pong balls (i hear they are good at that) and be our lucky charm so that we get the #1 pick again in the lottery (they love gambling)!
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#4 » by daSwami » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:04 pm

i'm pretty sure this thread is racist.
:banghead:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#5 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:15 pm

This thread is an insult to real "shrines" like the Michael Ruffin and Laron Profit threads. Yi has earned no such distinction.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#6 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:48 pm

Yi may be a good player but Yao Ming is the greatest player of all time!
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,185

Post#7 » by Zonkerbl » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:29 pm

O ye of little faith! You just wait!
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
CaPtaiN eYeSaNo
Senior
And1: 1

Post#8 » by CaPtaiN eYeSaNo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:55 pm

nate33 wrote:This thread is an insult to real "shrines" like the Michael Ruffin and Laron Profit threads. Yi has earned no such distinction.

+1 I'd rather wait for the inevitable Trevor Booker shrine...
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#9 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Aug 2, 2010 7:08 pm

Yi Jianlian reportedly hurts arm in game in China

Wizards forward Yi Jianlian reportedly has suffered an arm injury playing in an international tournament in China's Liuzhou City, Pro Basketball Talk reports.

Details on the severity of the injury were not available. He reportedly was hurt in the first half of a game between China and Slovenia, according to the People's Daily Online. The website reported that he spent the second half of the game on the bench.

By Cindy Boren | August 2, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories: Wizards

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early- ... rts_a.html
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#10 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 2, 2010 7:19 pm

Welcome back to Washington Mr. Singleton.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#11 » by fishercob » Mon Aug 2, 2010 7:25 pm

I'm guessing it's not that serious or he wouldn't have spent the balance of the game on the bench, right? Not that it really matters...
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
AnotherFinn
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#12 » by AnotherFinn » Mon Aug 2, 2010 7:26 pm

WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#13 » by WizStorm » Mon Aug 2, 2010 7:33 pm

AnotherFinn wrote:More about it in http://www.truthaboutit.net/
Hmmm ... Pine violating his own rules and not putting it in the baseless rumors thread? :D
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 2, 2010 8:01 pm

Oh, Yi Wiz, Pine (since we don't have Alonzo Gee)!

Zut alors! - as Keveeen Seraphin would say.

Everyone's a little bit racists. - Avenue Q
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#15 » by closg00 » Mon Aug 2, 2010 8:10 pm

From the blog link:
In their first game on July 28th, China lost 64-63 to Australia. Jianlian led the Chinese with 17 points and 10 rebounds in just over 17 minutes of game time. But Australia’s David Andersen, who was recently traded from the Houston Rockets to the Toronto Raptors, scored a basket in the game’s final 10 seconds to give the Aussies a one point victory. Andersen finished with eight points and seven rebounds. Patty Mills led Australia with 13 points.

On July 29th the Chinese faced Iran and defeated them 86-64. Jianlian had 16 points (7-12 from two-point land, 0-1 from three, 2-2 from the free-throw line), 10 rebounds (two offensive), three blocks, one steal, two assists and three turnovers in 28 minutes of action.

Yi beasting the international competition :D
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#16 » by JWizmentality » Mon Aug 2, 2010 9:56 pm

Blah,this shrine blows!
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#17 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 2, 2010 11:25 pm

JWiz, time to kick this thread up with some news from a website devoted to Yi Jianlin.

http://t.love.com/353503765

Yi Jianlian injured, China loses

Without injured Houston Rockets center Yao Ming, Washington Wizards' forward Yihad taken over the role as team leader and scored 11 points in the first quarter.

But he hurt his right arm in the second half and stayed on the bench for the remainder of the game.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#18 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 2, 2010 11:53 pm

Oh, for any journalists who read this site and then later post rumors and such.....Yi's arm is okay.

After sitting out the rest of the game injured against Slovenia, Yi Jianlian played and China took third today.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90001 ... 88662.html

Early, NBA star Yi Jianlian scored 18 points and 11 rebounds to lead China over Iran, clinching the third place.

I assume Yi will continue to play with his team on their future games before training camp begins. I assume he'll play against the US Team that McGee was cut from.

China planned to travel abroad a few days later. playing warm-up games against Canada, the United States, Brazil and Serbia before the Turkey World Championships.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#19 » by Halcyon » Tue Aug 3, 2010 12:54 am

Too many haters ITT.

Wassists I say!
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#20 » by fishercob » Sat Aug 7, 2010 2:36 pm

Interesting piece on David Thorpe and Yi by Kyle Weidie. (btw, if you're a hardcore Wiz fan you shoudl be checking out Kyle's blog truthaboutit.net regularly. He does some great features and a really nice job breaking down X's and O's).

Full article here:

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2010/08/dis ... #more-9093

“I think he was looking for more help in understanding the game,” Thorpe told me when I spoke with him during the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. “He’s almost been like a stray dog … no one’s really hugged him to say ‘you’re mine’,” he said, indicating that the instability of coaching and team changes has caused a lot of strife in Jianlian’s basketball career. He was drafted, relatively unwillingly on Yi’s part, by the Milwaukee Bucks with the sixth overall pick in 2007 and traded to the New Jersey Nets, along with Bobby Simmons, in exchange for Richard Jefferson after one season. After two uninspiring seasons in the New Jersey, Jianlian was traded to the Wizards in late June for essentially nothing (apologies to Quinton Ross).

Thorpe said he felt that Lian simply has not been embraced as a basketball player during his time in America.

See, this is why Ted sees Yi as a worthwhile flier for a year. Ted is all about making people feel good about themselves and their place within an organization. I think Ted wants to give Yi a big figurative hug, let him feel at home playing in Chinatown and see if he can play up to any of that unrealized potential.

Back to Kyle...
I asked Thorpe, him having limited previous interaction with Yi, about his impressions of Yi’s game before they started working out together. “I thought that he really had no idea how to play,” Thorpe said. “I thought that he was a guy who thought he could really shoot the ball, and that became kind of the center of his universe. And he really had no understanding of a way to impact the game other than 19-foot jumpers.”

:nod: But then...

“In our gym he blew us away,” the coach said. “We were told by his agent, Fegan, that we would be shocked by how athletic he was and we were. All my players in the gym were shocked. All the coaches were shocked. And I think he shocked himself.”

“He was dunking everything, and beating guards down the floor, and stripping guards, and making plays full-court in transition with the ball in his hands. His strength coach, who is with him full-time, said he’s never seen him do that kind of stuff before.”

There's more a lot more great stuff in there and I don't want to quote the whole blog entry, so go read it. But one more thing.
But not all is roses. It’s doesn’t take a basketball insider to see that the defensive combo of JaVale McGee at the five spot and Yi Jianlian at the four spot, where he could potentially begin the season as the starter while Andray Blatche recovers from a broken foot, is far from ideal. Just check Jianlian’s stats, courtesy of John Townsend.

“I don’t think it’s an ideal combo in the short term because Lian has not proved to be a great rebounder yet, and I think the team needs help on the boards,” said Thorpe regarding a McGee/Jianlian front line. “I think he can rebound, but he hasn’t done it long-term. He’s only done it for stretches.”

This. I actually doubt that guys can go from becoming poor rebounders to very good ones, but I'm guessing there's some readily accessible research on the subject. But this gets back to my tempered expectations on our record this year. Unless Seraphin or Booker explodes on to the scene in all-rookie proportions, our bigs are going to get pushed around most nights by the grown ass men in the NBA. Our interior D and defensive rebounding are going to suck overall. 32-35 wins. But that's...ohhhh.....kaaaay.

Return to Washington Wizards