ImageImageImageImageImage

Comparing Front-courts

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: Comparing Front-courts 

Post#61 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:04 pm

nate33 wrote:It's tough to see how a guy who could average 22 and 9 with a 53% TS% over 30 games last year could rank behind Udonis Haslem, but I won't get too worked up about it.

All Heat role-players will be massively overrated this year. Don't be surprised if there is a push for MM to make it to the all-star game or something ridiculously crazy like that, or Joel Anthony making the all-defensive team this year. Haslem is a joke he's undersized and his defense isn't all that it's cracked up to be. In addition, dude turned down 14 million to stay with the Heat.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#62 » by MJG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:04 pm

That might very well be the most negative "glass half full" commentary I've ever read, there on Blatche's ranking. If you want to see a more proper "glass half full" ranking from KD, read the center rankings, where he places McGee 21st on the list and calls it "conservative":

21. Javale McGee, Washington Wizards (last year: 30th)

An athletic marvel, Javale has the gifts in place needed to shoot up another 10 spots in this list during 2010-11, but we'd rather go conservative with his placement and look like a fool once he starts pouring on the double-doubles and high block totals. Still a project, but one that could change a few games for Washington this season.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#63 » by closg00 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:30 pm

no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#64 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:10 pm

Honestly I think Dirk is the best PF in the game. He's not just a shooter, he's got a really good inside game, is average defender, and a good rebounder. The fact that he's probably the best pure shooter in the game hurts his stock IMO simply because any shooting big is 'soft'. Just imagine Dirk with Kobe rather than Pau. That would be un-freakin-real.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#65 » by pancakes3 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:13 pm

i don't know about "average" defender. he's no worse than Love, Randolph, Boozer, or even Amare in my opinion. not significantly anyway.
Bullets -> Wizards
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#66 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:09 am

pancakes3 wrote:possibly lower. there are some backup centers like chandler/haywood who are better than mcgee.

Not to dispute what you're saying, because I agree, but the years 2001 and 2000 are when Chandler and Haywood were drafted, respectively.

Javale was drafted in 2008 and is actually younger than some of the seniors just drafted (including both Booker and Hamady).
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#67 » by hands11 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:17 am

Dray will be on this list by Jan 2011
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#68 » by pancakes3 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:41 pm

^gasol's more of a center than dray can ever hope to be and is still on the PF list. so's duncan.
Bullets -> Wizards
closg00
RealGM

Post#69 » by closg00 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:28 pm

Dat2U wrote:My rankings of the frontcourts in the Eastern Conference.

1. Boston Celtics
Starters: PF Kevin Garnett / CE Shaquille O'Neal
Bench: CE Jermaine O'Neal / PF Glen Davis / PF Luke Harangody / CE Semih Erden / CE Kendrick Perkins - INJ
Notes: With the roster a year older and Perkins out they'll probably go to a 4 man rotation with starters seeing limited minutes. A very deep frontline.

2. Orlando Magic
Starters: PF Rashard Lewis / CE Dwight Howard
Bench: CE Marcin Gortat / PF Brandon Bass / PF Ryan Anderson / CE Daniel Orton
Notes: With 'Shard a steady decline, Bass & Anderson could see bigger roles. But honestly, this ranking is all about Howard.

3. Chicago Bulls
Starters: PF Carlos Boozer / CE Joakim Noah
Bench: PF Taj Gibson / CE Kurt Thomas / CE Omer Asik
Notes: Asik is one to watch as a rookie (like him better than Seraphin). Bulls may have the best rebounding team in the league.

4. Atlanta Hawks
Starters: PF Josh Smith / CE Al Horford
Bench: CE Zaza Pachulia / PF Josh Powell / CE Jason Collins
Notes: Horford will move to PF when they acquire another C. They don't have one yet so until then...

5. Miami Heat
Starters: PF Chris Bosh / CE Joel Anthony
Bench: PF Udonis Haslem / CE Zydrunas Illgauskas / PF Juwan Howard / CE Jamaal Magloire
Notes: Joel Anthony is a better option a C than given credit for. He'll hustle & play solid D. Good depth off the bench.

6. Milwaukee Bucks
Starters: PF Drew Gooden / CE Andrew Bogut
Bench: PF Ersan Ilyasova / PF Jon Brockman / CE Larry Sanders
Notes: A little thin upfront in terms of depth. Brockman was a good pickup on the cheap. Another solid rebounding team.

7. New Jersey Nets
Starters: PF Troy Murphy / CE Brook Lopez
Bench: PF Derrick Favors / CE Johan Petro / PF Kris Humphries / PF Sean May / CE Brian Zoubek
Notes: Nice starting duo with plenty of rebounding & scoring. Defense will be a big issue however. How quick with Favors develop?

8. New York Knicks
Starters: PF Anthony Randolph / CE Amar'e Stoudemire
Bench: CE Ronny Turiaf / CE Timofey Mozgov / CE Jerome Jordan / CE Eddy Curry
Notes: No depth. Not much defense but they should be entertaining. I expect a breakout yr from Randolph.

9. Charlotte Bobcats
Starters: PF Boris Diaw / CE Erick Dampier
Bench: PF Tyrus Thomas / CE Nazr Mohammed / CE DeSagana Diop / PF Eduardo Najera
Notes: Just the opposite of NY. Frontcourt has limitations offensively but plenty of length, defense and plenty of depth. If Thomas breaks out or Diaw finds his game they could be rated a bit higher.

10. Washington Wizards
Starters: PF Andray Blatche / CE Javale McGee
Bench: PF Yi Jianlian / CE Hilton Armstrong / PF Trevor Booker / CE Kevin Seraphin
Notes: Only NY can compete athletically upfront. Lack of depth & defense will be major concerns.

11. Philadelphia 76ers
Starters: PF Elton Brand / CE Spencer Hawes
Bench: PF Marreese Speights / CE Tony Battie / CE Jason Smith
Notes: A bad mix IMO. Brand has lost two steps. Hawes is incredibly soft. They really need a breakout from Speights. If they eventually decide to bench Brand & go small with Thad Young at the 4, I'd probably rate them a bit higher.

12. Toronto Raptors
Starters: PF Amir Johnson / CE Andrea Bargnani
Bench: PF Ed Davis / CE David Andersen / PF Reggie Evans / PF Joey Dorsey / CE Solomon Alabi
Notes: Bargs may have plenty of scoring opps this year but defensively it going to be a long year for him. Amir racks up fouls at an incredible rate. I suspect Davis might take Johnson's job before long.

13. Indiana Pacers
Starters: PF Jeff Foster / CE Roy Hibbert
Bench: PF Tyler Hansbrough / CE Solomon Jones / PF Josh McRoberts
Note: The recent Collison trade means they have a gaping hole at PF. They'll have to acquire another big before the season starts.

14. Detroit Pistons
Starters: PF Jonas Jerebko / CE Ben Wallace
Bench: PF Charlie Villanueva / CE Greg Monroe / PF Jason Maxiell / PF Chris Wilcox
Notes: Only real hope is that Monroe develops. It's going to be a very long yr in Detroit.

15. Cleveland Cavaliers
Starters: PF J.J. Hickson / CE Anderson Varejao
Bench: PF Leon Powe / CE Ryan Hollins
Notes: Jamison likely slides over to the 3 so they'll have scoring in the starting lineup. Varejao is solid & Hickson may develop some but the cupboard is pretty bare here.

Overall I have the Wizards 23rd in the league in terms of their frontcourt. Also ahead of Western Conference teams Minnesota & Phoenix.

Dat - Thanks for putting the work into this cause now I can refer to it after considering some of the moves that have happened since you posted this.

I would rank Indiana a little higher and us a a few lower. Roy Hibbert has worked all summer with Bill Walton, he's leaner and stronger now also. The Pacers also have a complete steal in Magnum Rolle(not signed yet) who can fill an athletic PF role that Tyler cannot. The Pacers also have workman bigs like McRoberts who can clog the middle, box-out and help with rebounding. With Collison working with those guys I expect them to surprise this year.
willbcocks
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#70 » by willbcocks » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:01 pm

I'd put cleveland way higher, #9 I think. Sideshow is a legit player and makes a huge positive impact when he's on the floor, plus Jamison can do spot minutes at PF (not ideal, but we're talking about competing for 9th best in the eastern conference here). I"m not sold on Hickson as I never saw him do anything without Lebron, but him and Powe are at least servicable.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#71 » by no D in Hibachi » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:02 pm

willbcocks wrote:I'd put cleveland way higher, #9 I think. Sideshow is a legit player and makes a huge positive impact when he's on the floor, plus Jamison can do spot minutes at PF (not ideal, but we're talking about competing for 9th best in the eastern conference here). I"m not sold on Hickson as I never saw him do anything without Lebron, but him and Powe are at least servicable.

Agreed, I'd be really confident going into the season with a front line of Varejao and Blatche with McGee backing up Varejao. With Sideshow I think this team could seriously challenge for the 5th or 6th seed. I think Varejao gets severely overlooked. I consider him roughly equivalent with Noah. The rest of their front court sucks. Hickson is going to get totally exposed.
closg00
RealGM

Post#72 » by closg00 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:24 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:
willbcocks wrote:I'd put cleveland way higher, #9 I think. Sideshow is a legit player and makes a huge positive impact when he's on the floor, plus Jamison can do spot minutes at PF (not ideal, but we're talking about competing for 9th best in the eastern conference here). I"m not sold on Hickson as I never saw him do anything without Lebron, but him and Powe are at least servicable.

Agreed, I'd be really confident going into the season with a front line of Varejao and Blatche with McGee backing up Varejao. With Sideshow I think this team could seriously challenge for the 5th or 6th seed. I think Varejao gets severely overlooked. I consider him roughly equivalent with Noah. The rest of their front court sucks. Hickson is going to get totally exposed.

.....and to add, the Cavs also signed Samardo Samuels a 6"8 260 PF to a multi-year deal, dude worked his butt-off in SL and got signed. I can't wait for the press release of the Wiz signing of Sean Marks :roll:
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#73 » by Dat2U » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:16 pm

Question, and I won't even start a new thread to ask it :) . Who's currently the better NBA player? Andray Blatche or Antawn Jamison? Who would help your team win more games? If you had to choose one to start at PF for your team, for this year only. Who would you choose and why?

I'd especially be interested in hearing from those like willbcocks or dandridge10, who appear to have little confidence in Blatche's ability to excel given his immaturity & checkered past.
RealGM

Post#74 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Dat, I foresee Jamison at SF putting up monster scoring and rebounding numbers. He'll post guys up and hit the three. He could have his best numbers in several years.

I believe Jamison, Hickson, and Varajeo will be competitive.
Bye bye Beal.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#75 » by no D in Hibachi » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:37 pm

I'd easily chose Blatche over Jamison. Blatche helps the offense flow and gets others involved. He's more of an inside threat than Jamison and by shear size is a better defender. Jamison is a better rebounder, but is such a hole offensively and is unbearable defensively. Jamison may blow up and have a 25/11 line this year, but just like most of his teams throughout his career the team will hover around a .300 winning percentage.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#76 » by mhd » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Heck, I said during the Cavs-Celtics series that if Cleveland had Blatche instead of Jamison, they win. Blatche can defend, Jamison cannot.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#77 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Dat, I foresee Jamison at SF putting up monster scoring and rebounding numbers. He'll post guys up and hit the three. He could have his best numbers in several years.

Changing positions won't cure his tendency to play soft or his inability to defend anything thrown at him.

Jamison is what he is. A good player to have on your team if you have no aspirations of ever winning a title.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#78 » by hands11 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:56 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Dat, I foresee Jamison at SF putting up monster scoring and rebounding numbers. He'll post guys up and hit the three. He could have his best numbers in several years.

AJ at SF could be very good. All depends on how well the defenders behind him can cover up for when he gets blown by. But he can work them over on offense inside and out.

I like AJs poor D away from the rim better then under it. At least there is a chance for some help to come. His legth and size should do him well coming them away from the rim.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#79 » by Dat2U » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:05 am

But you didn't answer the question. :D Who would you rather have for this coming season only?
RealGM

Post#80 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:46 am

I would rather have Blatche than Jamison. No question. Andray is bigger, better defensively, and a mucm more willing passer. He is the better PF. I said that over 2 years ago, when Jamison/Butler were still both playing over 40 minutes and putting up huge offensive numbers, but were getting killed at the other end.

What I was responding to is the ranking of Cleveland as the 15th frontcourt in the east. You might be right, but I think Hickson's pretty good. Jamison will put up huge numbers at SF. Varajeo is a bit more of a question mark at this point. Years ago he put up decent numbers, but now appears to be a bit of a hack.

Dat, you of all people should know I was on the Blatche at PF bandwagon with you a long time ago.

I think Antawn will be in a real good spot at SF now that that Lebron is gone. AJ can play alongside an athlete with deep range, handles, and size at PF in Hickson.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards