yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, pineappleheadindc, WizStorm, nate33, miller31time

Post#1 The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread
Thu Dec 9, 2010 12:17 am by Jay81

I will delete this thread once he

1) gets rid of the medical staff
2) gets rid of Ernie
3) and gets rid of Flip

until then..he is a bad owner of the Wizards. Enjoy the ketchup though!
Jay81
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,728
And1: 116
Joined: Nov 10, 2010
Top

Post#2 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 12:59 am by dandridge 10

I nominate this as the dumbest thread ever.
dandridge 10
Starter
User avatar
Posts: 2,212
And1: 187
Joined: Feb 16, 2005
Top

Post#3 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 1:58 am by JonathanJoseph

Ridiculous
Twitter: @jonathanjoseph
JonathanJoseph
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,319
And1: 22
Joined: Jul 3, 2009
Top

Post#4 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 2:22 am by fishercob

Ji, have a nice day.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 11,884
And1: 595
Joined: Apr 24, 2002
Location: Tenleytown, DC
Top

Post#5 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 8:44 am by TGW

fishercob wrote:Ji, eat a dick.

:lol:
milellie111 wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
TGW
Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 4,849
And1: 662
Joined: Oct 22, 2010
Top

Post#6 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 9:07 am by GhostsOfGil

booo this thread
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 8,256
And1: 730
Joined: Jul 5, 2006
Top

Post#7 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 9:29 am by Chaos Revenant

it bothers me that tapscott is still in the Wizards organization.
"Those two weeks when the Wizards looked like an actual good team? Probably going to keep the Wizards from ever actually turning into a good team." - Andrew Sharp, Grantland.
Chaos Revenant
Sixth Man
User avatar
Posts: 1,556
And1: 34
Joined: May 22, 2007
Top

Post#8 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 10:49 am by DallasShalDune

This is insane. Did anyone expect us to be even a .500 year team this year?
DallasShalDune
Bench Warmer
User avatar
Posts: 1,395
And1: 0
Joined: Mar 22, 2003
Location: Kansas City
Top

Post#9 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 11:24 am by Wizards2Lottery

I would have preferred that Ted fire the moron who created the mess we were in last year but the #1 pick bailed out Ernie big time.

Ernie isn't held accountable for his stupid decisions enough. But I'll trust what Leonsis is doing. Eventually he will start to realize how big of a moron his GM is.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 10,303
And1: 3
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
Location: All aboard the TANK
Top

Post#10 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 11:26 am by pineappleheadindc

OK - we (the mod community here) like to mod gently. So this can stay.

But Ji...this thread is not your finest moment.

(And how about you check into the weather thread to update us on the chances of snow this weekend).
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
pineappleheadindc




Global Mod
Global Mod
User avatar
Posts: 15,129
And1: 480
Joined: Dec 16, 2001
Location: Cabin John, MD
Top

Post#11 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 11:40 am by tontoz

Wizards2Lottery wrote:I would have preferred that Ted fire the moron who created the mess we were in last year but the #1 pick bailed out Ernie big time.

Ernie isn't held accountable for his stupid decisions enough. But I'll trust what Leonsis is doing. Eventually he will start to realize how big of a moron his GM is.



Now that you mention it i think it would be a good idea to give a call to Kevin Pritchard. He was the best GM in the league during his time in Portland. I have no clue why he got canned.
tontoz
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 13,044
And1: 444
Joined: Apr 10, 2005
Top

Post#12 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 11:42 am by AceDegenerate

It seems to make all too much sense that Pritchard is exactly the type of GM for an owner like Leonsis who's entire philosophy is built around stock-piling young talent. I don't know why he was canned either so there is probably way more to it than meets the eye, but Grunfeld is certainly the type of GM I would envision Ted hiring had he not already had the job before the ownership change happened.
AceDegenerate
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,852
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 31, 2002
Top

Post#13 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 11:57 am by Wizards2Lottery

tontoz wrote:
Wizards2Lottery wrote:I would have preferred that Ted fire the moron who created the mess we were in last year but the #1 pick bailed out Ernie big time.

Ernie isn't held accountable for his stupid decisions enough. But I'll trust what Leonsis is doing. Eventually he will start to realize how big of a moron his GM is.



Now that you mention it i think it would be a good idea to give a call to Kevin Pritchard. He was the best GM in the league during his time in Portland. I have no clue why he got canned.


As long as it isn't Ernie. The guy has done nothing in his tenure as a GM over here to prove that he is capable of building a team that can be competitive in the playoffs and advance out of the first round. The "best" team that he put together ended up being dismantled half way through the season. He traded a top 5 pick for two guys who aren't even on the roster anymore.

I wish I sucked so bad at my job that I cost my company a fortune but instead of firing me they had me fix that mess with 100% backing.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 10,303
And1: 3
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
Location: All aboard the TANK
Top

Post#14 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Thu Dec 9, 2010 12:22 pm by thinker07

I don't how anyone can blame Ernie for everything. He works within certain parameters and guidelines. When ownership tells him to keep Gilbert happy and insure that he signs a contract extension, I guess he drafts and signs free agents around that strategy. If the team belonged to Ernie I don't know that he would have decided to build a team around Gilbert and then sign him to his massive contract. Gilbert wants Deshawn - sign him. Gilbert wants Jamison - sign him. And so on. Before last year, Abe was on his last legs and wanted one last run for a championship so he told Ernie to go for that strategy. In that scenario it maybe makes sense to trade the #5 pick for Foye and Miller. Again, if Ernie owned the team I doubt that he would have made that deal. I don't think that it's Ernie's fault that Gilbert did what he did (or got hurt prior to that either). Once adopted Dad Abe says sign him, that deal was done.

And some decisions make sense at the time but just don't work out well. That doesn't make them bad decisions necessarily.
thinker07
Junior
Posts: 278
And1: 14
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Top

Post#15 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:33 am by Chaos Revenant

Bumping this thread, because while it is the first year of a rebuilding effort, there are several things that seriously cause one to question whether this guy is the great hope for this organization. The most troubling thing to me is how Ted has seemingly retained much, if not all of the status quo ante we had with Abe. Same coach. Same GM. Same medical staff. Same "director of player development".

Contrast with what Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen did in Ashburn. Yes, they made some errors. But, the one thing you cannot say they have done is retain a failed status quo - they cut over 10 players (players that might have helped them win a game or two more this season, like ARE who has had a mini-resurgence back in Pittsburgh), they got rid of a QB that may have been a decent transitional guy but represented half a decade of failure, and was a poor leader, they blew up the defense without regard to what we did before, and we held guys like Haynesworth accountable (while refusing to give up on taming him until the very last).

When something does not work, you don't keep going with it in the hopes that they'll get it right THIS time. You get rid of it and bring in something that does not work? How would you have reacted if Shanny had kept Blache as DC, and Smith as OC? Campbell at QB? Vinny in a lower FO capacity? Think about it?

You can't talk about rebuilding with new players without undergoing an organizational rebuild. We still have the same organization we did last year for the most part.

If this continues, Shanahan's Redskins WILL win a Super Bowl before Leonsis's Wizards win an NBA championshp, because Shanahan has come in and not only changed the status quo, he exploded it. Leonsis, for the very most part, has stuck with the status quo.

Now, Leonsis is a good owner, and he has shown he can preside over a quality organization. But he has to be more proactive in making organizational change in order to achieve his goals.
"Those two weeks when the Wizards looked like an actual good team? Probably going to keep the Wizards from ever actually turning into a good team." - Andrew Sharp, Grantland.
Chaos Revenant
Sixth Man
User avatar
Posts: 1,556
And1: 34
Joined: May 22, 2007
Top

Post#16 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:10 am by WashWiz54

This coming offseason I feel is when Ted is going to make this "his" team. Buying an NBA franchise is a lot of work and with that comes getting a feel of how things run. It was probably his intention from the break to keep things status quo for a full season then evaluate everything at seasons end.

Ted is doing this right and I'd rather it take awhile to be done the right way instead of being rushed and set us back years.
WashWiz54
Veteran
User avatar
Posts: 2,509
And1: 89
Joined: Aug 7, 2004
Top

Post#17 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:11 am by verbal8

Chaos Revenant wrote:If this continues, Shanahan's Redskins WILL win a Super Bowl before Leonsis's Wizards win an NBA championshp, because Shanahan has come in and not only changed the status quo, he exploded it. Leonsis, for the very most part, has stuck with the status quo.

Now, Leonsis is a good owner, and he has shown he can preside over a quality organization. But he has to be more proactive in making organizational change in order to achieve his goals.

I agree that the Redskins have made more of an "organizational change" than the Wizards. However I think the Wizards are ahead in terms of building a championship team. Both teams suffer from a shortage of talent. However the Wizards talented players are generally the youngest. The best players on the Redskins for the most part are the older vets(McNabb, Fletcher and Moss). Landry, Orkapo, Trent Williams and Banks are the only guys I would count as a "young core" for the Skins.
verbal8



Head Coach
Posts: 6,018
And1: 148
Joined: Jul 19, 2006
Location: Reston, VA
Top

Post#18 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:38 am by fishercob

Chaos Revenant wrote:Bumping this thread, because while it is the first year of a rebuilding effort, there are several things that seriously cause one to question whether this guy is the great hope for this organization. The most troubling thing to me is how Ted has seemingly retained much, if not all of the status quo ante we had with Abe. Same coach. Same GM. Same medical staff. Same "director of player development".

Contrast with what Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen did in Ashburn. Yes, they made some errors. But, the one thing you cannot say they have done is retain a failed status quo - they cut over 10 players (players that might have helped them win a game or two more this season, like ARE who has had a mini-resurgence back in Pittsburgh), they got rid of a QB that may have been a decent transitional guy but represented half a decade of failure, and was a poor leader, they blew up the defense without regard to what we did before, and we held guys like Haynesworth accountable (while refusing to give up on taming him until the very last).

When something does not work, you don't keep going with it in the hopes that they'll get it right THIS time. You get rid of it and bring in something that does not work? How would you have reacted if Shanny had kept Blache as DC, and Smith as OC? Campbell at QB? Vinny in a lower FO capacity? Think about it?

You can't talk about rebuilding with new players without undergoing an organizational rebuild. We still have the same organization we did last year for the most part.

If this continues, Shanahan's Redskins WILL win a Super Bowl before Leonsis's Wizards win an NBA championshp, because Shanahan has come in and not only changed the status quo, he exploded it. Leonsis, for the very most part, has stuck with the status quo.

Now, Leonsis is a good owner, and he has shown he can preside over a quality organization. But he has to be more proactive in making organizational change in order to achieve his goals.


Dude, we're 20 friggin games in to his ownership tenure. Give it a little bit of time. I think Ted knows just a wee bit about building successful organizations.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 11,884
And1: 595
Joined: Apr 24, 2002
Location: Tenleytown, DC
Top

Post#19 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:47 am by Chaos Revenant

The changes that needed to be made are irrelevant to the amount of regular season games we've played.

Shanahan didn't need a *single* regular season game to begin making the major changes needed to win. He got rid of most of the people who failed before, and gave everyone else a chance to succeed under his system.

Probably, EG has acquitted himself well this offseason, but at the very least, Ted could have replaced the **** MEDICAL STAFF.
"Those two weeks when the Wizards looked like an actual good team? Probably going to keep the Wizards from ever actually turning into a good team." - Andrew Sharp, Grantland.
Chaos Revenant
Sixth Man
User avatar
Posts: 1,556
And1: 34
Joined: May 22, 2007
Top

Post#20 Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thre
Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:09 am by long suffrin' boulez fan

This might all be irrelevant if Mr Business of Happiness jumps off the roof of the Phone Booth.

I mean, 13 straight losses for his two franchises... Maybe he chooses an evening at the Kennedy Center instead of courtside seats for the next game. Happiness indeed.

Can someone please email him Kevin Pritchard's contact information?
Stop peddling lies, Ted
long suffrin' boulez fan





Starter
User avatar
Posts: 2,370
And1: 154
Joined: Nov 18, 2005
Location: In EG's alternate realty
Top

Next

Return to Washington Wizards


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot]