ImageImageImageImageImage

The Amazingly Suck Theodore Leonsis Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Theodore Leonsis Thread 

Post#861 » by gtn130 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:13 am

I can't stand watching the Wizards at this point. The direction this franchise is going is unbearably wrong on every level.

We're 25-28 with one of the easiest NBA schedules in decades, maybe ever, and we're going to chalk this season up as a success if we "earn" a 6th-8th seed and get stomped in the playoffs? While giving up a mid-first round pick in the deepest draft class in ages? We're barely competitive in a dumpster fire of a conference.

I can't think of a more depressing scenario than the one we're facing right now, and anyone eagerly anticipating some comical playoff run is either delusional or on drugs. This team isn't good. Wittman is a really bad coach (although I like him because he's humble and knows he isn't the best coach in the world). Our "offense" is painful to watch on most nights. We don't have any depth. Our roster composition doesn't make any sense. We should be tanking like every other not-brain-dead organization.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir with some of this stuff, especially considering this thread was engineered to bash Ted, but I simply cannot stomach the idea that Ted, EG, the fans, or anyone else would even conceive of painting this season as a success. What a sham.

tl;dr first post cliffs: This season is a doomsday scenario unless we either tank or go deep in the playoffs.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#862 » by pineappleheadindc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:32 am

I assume that the Wizards have someone checking on this board every once in a while.

Go ahead, Ted. Just get the announcement of Ernie's 5-year extension out of the way before it gets too late in the season. You two deserve each other.

Wizards are suck.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#863 » by TheBigThree » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:36 am

It's so liberating not being in the viewing area anymore.

Yeah, I may miss the occasional great game from Beal or Wall, but I can always watch highlights to catch up.

Until Ted gets his head out of his ass and fires EG (seriously, Vesely and Porter....don't need to consider any other moves to realize how terrible a GM he is. I don't care if he occasionally finds a diamond in the rough or wins a trade) I doubt I'll make an attempt to regularly watch games.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#864 » by mohammed10 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:41 am

pineappleheadindc wrote:I assume that the Wizards have someone checking on this board every once in a while.

Go ahead, Ted. Just get the announcement of Ernie's 5-year extension out of the way before it gets too late in the season. You two deserve each other.

Wizards are suck.

If that happens, we should all storm the castle.

Lemme find my pitchfork...
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#865 » by fishercob » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:45 pm

As someone who pays for tickets when they are people next to me who paid half of what I did on StubHub, of course I'm not happy about the increase -- particularly because Ernie.

But, if I'm being honest and fair I must acknowledge that the Wizards held prices flat for three years; we were due for them to be raised.

Within a reasonable range, it doesn't matter how expensive or cheap the tickets are -- no one is going to come unless the team gets good, particularly given the franchise's moribund history. I doubt Ted is making much of anything off the Wizards at this point and I don't begrudge him for trying to generate more revenue. I actually do trust Ted to invest it back into the team -- I just don't trust him to invest it wisely.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#866 » by dandridge 10 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:01 pm

fishercob wrote:As someone who pays for tickets when they are people next to me who paid half of what I did on StubHub, of course I'm not happy about the increase -- particularly because Ernie.

But, if I'm being honest and fair I must acknowledge that the Wizards held prices flat for three years; we were due for them to be raised.

Within a reasonable range, it doesn't matter how expensive or cheap the tickets are -- no one is going to come unless the team gets good, particularly given the franchise's moribund history. I doubt Ted is making much of anything off the Wizards at this point and I don't begrudge him for trying to generate more revenue. I actually do trust Ted to invest it back into the team -- I just don't trust him to invest it wisely.

Fish, I actually have the opposite view. I don't think its fair that the Wizards have raised the ticket prices. The last few years have been abysmal. If anything, the Wizards should have discounted our prices even more the last couple of years because they acknowledged that the Wizards were going to suck and indeed planned on being bad in order to get high draft picks. I mean, think about it. Ted basically admitted that the Wizards were going to be horrible, and then at the same time acted like he was doing US a favor by NOT RAISING ticket prices. Its like a grocery store selling five day old bread at its regular price and then saying, "hey, at least I didn't raise the price."

The Wizards have yet to show us anything. Despite giving up a 1st round draft pick and being in a pathetic Eastern Conference, there is still no guarantee that the Wiz will even make the playoffs this season. Yet, the FO feels like they deserve to get more for the product that they are putting on the floor. I think the Wizards should at least prove that they have turned the corner before upping the ticket prices. Honestly, after 20 years of being a season ticket holder, I think I am finally ready to tell the Wizards to go f themselves.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#867 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 am

Whichever Wizards intern monitors these boards:

Please tell Ted that since firing their GM, Cleveland has won 6 in a row. Observe and learn, Ted.

--Confucius

- Yoda
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#868 » by fishercob » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:15 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:
fishercob wrote:As someone who pays for tickets when they are people next to me who paid half of what I did on StubHub, of course I'm not happy about the increase -- particularly because Ernie.

Fish, I actually have the opposite view. I don't think its fair that the Wizards have raised the ticket prices. The last few years have been abysmal. If anything, the Wizards should have discounted our prices even more the last couple of years because they acknowledged that the Wizards were going to suck and indeed planned on being bad in order to get high draft picks. I mean, think about it. Ted basically admitted that the Wizards were going to be horrible, and then at the same time acted like he was doing US a favor by NOT RAISING ticket prices. Its like a grocery store selling five day old bread at its regular price and then saying, "hey, at least I didn't raise the price."

The Wizards have yet to show us anything. Despite giving up a 1st round draft pick and being in a pathetic Eastern Conference, there is still no guarantee that the Wiz will even make the playoffs this season. Yet, the FO feels like they deserve to get more for the product that they are putting on the floor. I think the Wizards should at least prove that they have turned the corner before upping the ticket prices. Honestly, after 20 years of being a season ticket holder, I think I am finally ready to tell the Wizards to go f themselves.

I hear you, my man. I just don't think that view acknowledges the economic realities of owning and running an NBA team. I think it's a safe assumption that at the past price structure the Wiz weren't generating enough ticket revenue. This price raise will help close the gap -- not nearly as much as creating a sustained winner will, obviously.

But prices of everything move with CPI/inflation -- whether it's bread, milk, legal services, or basketball tickets, prices have to go up to keep up with the increased cost of expenses.

Again, I hate the way the front office is run and I'm not happy that prices are going up. But I don't view this as Ted saying "see, we're a playoff team! Prices are going up." I just think it's them trying to pay the bills.

It's more an issue of ineptitude than it is of cynicism.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,366

Post#869 » by verbal8 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:52 pm

fishercob wrote:
I hear you, my man. I just don't think that view acknowledges the economic realities of owning and running an NBA team. I think it's a safe assumption that at the past price structure the Wiz weren't generating enough ticket revenue. This price raise will help close the gap -- not nearly as much as creating a sustained winner will, obviously.

But prices of everything move with CPI/inflation -- whether it's bread, milk, legal services, or basketball tickets, prices have to go up to keep up with the increased cost of expenses.

Again, I hate the way the front office is run and I'm not happy that prices are going up. But I don't view this as Ted saying "see, we're a playoff team! Prices are going up." I just think it's them trying to pay the bills.

It's more an issue of ineptitude than it is of cynicism.

How does an overpaid, under-performing GM fit in with containing costs and increasing revenue?
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#870 » by Dat2U » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:50 pm

Reading some of the reader comments on Wizards Insider it's becoming quite obvious that Monumental Sports and Entertainment has decided to get into the fake commenting business. I really believe Ted thinks most of us fans are stupid and are incapable of being anything other than "fanatical". I also think he's such an egotist that he's kept both GMs for his teams in-spite of all the evidence that shows both should have been replaced a long time ago. He's done this in order to prove to critics that any dope can be successful if they follow "his plan" to a tee. So in other words, Ted has made it all about himself.

The statement a few years back about not needing to make a management change unless the attendance numbers slipped, told me everything I needed to know about his mindset.

The re-upping Ernie this off-season would go along way towards finally ending my support for this franchise.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#871 » by closg00 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Copy that Dat, they appear to have a full -time writer at-the-ready to damage control for Ted/Ernie. This is surely advance PR work to lay the groundwork for Ernie's new contract.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#872 » by Illuminaire » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Dat2U wrote:The re-upping Ernie this off-season would go along way towards finally ending my support for this franchise.

I can't recommend this more. I actually enjoy watching the Wizards more now that I've cut emotional ties as a fan. I can just have fun watching Wall and company when they play basketball well, and can change the channel without remorse when they don't. :P

That and I can laugh at every move EG makes now, instead of feeling like he just took my dog out back and shot it.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#873 » by pineappleheadindc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 pm

You guys remember after the Gilbert era, when Uncle Ted said that we'd have to essentially suck and build through the draft. In fact I think he said something like "that's the only way I (Ted) know how to do things."

Representing the most powerful city in the world, YOUR Washington Wizards! (Check out the young draftees).

1. Al Harrington
2. Andre Miller
3. Drew Gooden
4. Nene
5. Marcin Gortat
6. Trevor Ariza
7. Martell Webster

Way to go Ted. Nice rebuild. Business tycoons like you never take your eye off of the ball (the future).

:clap:

--Confucius

- Yoda
McFilthy
Sophomore
And1: 108

Post#874 » by McFilthy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:21 am

I went to a Wizards game at Verizon Center about a year after Ted bought the team. I got into a conversation with one of the vendors there. Then I asked her what differences she noticed between before and after Mr. Leonsis bought the team. I was a bit more optimistic at that time and I'm not sure what I expected her to say, but I think I was expecting something good. She said with no enthusiasm:

Spoiler:
We don't donate the extra food at the end of the night anymore like we did with Mr. Pollin. Now we just throw it out.

I guess she had not experienced the glory of shelves above urinals.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#875 » by montestewart » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:38 am

McFilthy wrote:I went to a Wizards game at Verizon Center about a year after Ted bought the team. I got into a conversation with one of the vendors there. Then I asked her what differences she noticed between before and after Mr. Leonsis bought the team. I was a bit more optimistic at that time and I'm not sure what I expected her to say, but I think I was expecting something good. She said with no enthusiasm:

Spoiler:
We don't donate the extra food at the end of the night anymore like we did with Mr. Polin. Now we just throw it out.

Under Pollin, you could bring food in from outside. I can't remember if that policy was changed when Leonsis took over or before that. I recall a Verizon Center hot dog that was both burnt and cold, in a bun that was both stale and soggy. Arena food, NJ Turnpike food, not a lot of difference.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#876 » by closg00 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:51 am

montestewart wrote:
McFilthy wrote:I went to a Wizards game at Verizon Center about a year after Ted bought the team. I got into a conversation with one of the vendors there. Then I asked her what differences she noticed between before and after Mr. Leonsis bought the team. I was a bit more optimistic at that time and I'm not sure what I expected her to say, but I think I was expecting something good. She said with no enthusiasm:

Spoiler:
We don't donate the extra food at the end of the night anymore like we did with Mr. Polin. Now we just throw it out.

Under Pollin, you could bring food in from outside. I can't remember if that policy was changed when Leonsis took over or before that. I recall a Verizon Center hot dog that was both burnt and cold, in a bun that was both stale and soggy. Arena food, NJ Turnpike food, not a lot of difference.

Once they stopped me from bringing in a bottled water. I told the guard that I had to take meds and he let me in with it :D
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#877 » by montestewart » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Hey, since this is back on page one, remember that story Terd told about the Wizards misplacing the Bullets championship trophy, and him spearheading the search for and repair of the by then damaged trophy? It was complete with apparently fabricated narrative, like they were on a treasure hunt. The Post (and maybe other outlets) later printed what seemed to be the real story, but I never saw any evidence of Terd being confronted about his fabulous tale.
diaboliQ_Mo
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#878 » by diaboliQ_Mo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:55 pm

IDK but I just hope Ted has a grand plan of the franchise for the next decade, instead of rewarding the GM he inherited from the previous owner for accomplishing (so it seems as of today) the oft-stated goal of making playoffs in the final year of his sorry contract.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,061

Post#879 » by queridiculo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Look no further than the Capitals to see what Leonsis has in store for the Wizards.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#880 » by mohammed10 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:02 pm

queridiculo wrote:Look no further than the Capitals to see what Leonsis has in store for the Wizards.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner

Agree - Terd has no vision for this team. Mediocrity in our future unless something dramatic happens (He decides to fire Ernie, Whitless, etc.)
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling

Return to Washington Wizards